Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

That Honda Accord Front End Embarrassment - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / That Honda Accord Front End Embarrassment (1841 Views)

As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

That Honda Accord Front End Embarrassment by TRYGO(m): 4:52pm On Jul 13, 2018
INTRODUCTION

Asides, Toyota, and maybe some European and American vehicles on our roads these days, a lot of people, love(like) Honda brand of vehicles.

In my little experience, test driving some of their brands from the 2000 model year civics; to the accords 2006-2008; and finally the Honda accord 2012-2013, with its muscle like streamlined structure, you can agree with me that their AC cooling systems are "chilling" perfect!

It's also rare, you gear of Honda brand engines going that bad, except if not properly maintained.

What keeps most people, and perhaps me too away from Honda vehicles are the already known fact that you could be driving down the highway, and all of a sudden, one of the front ended tyres dislodges from its trans axle.

That, in itself, is a major catastrophe, waiting to happen. I mean, an accident could occur, while you're in the middle of the road.

From what I have seen over the years in the field, and heard from colleagues and car owners, a pattern seems to have being established.

1. On negotiating bends, the tyre(s) could pull off

2. That car has to be fixed on that same spot, NY a mechanic (you're at their mercies though, if yours can't come over).

3. The fix usually involves a ball joint, or an outer CV joint coming out of its solid shaft key

4. After the fix, car owners suddenly registers this problem consciously in their subconsciousness.

5.That makes them scared, and finally, sale the vehicle, for a more suspension reliable one.

CASE STUDY

Vehicle type: Honda Accord 2003(eagle eye)
Engine configuration: 4cyl
Transmission system: Automatic

Here's a case study of such an issue I had to fix some weeks back.

CONVERSATIONS

Client: Could you please cone check what's wrong with my car pls?

Me: What kind of brand is it, and what's the problem you're having?

Client: Just left the grocery store right now; got into the car, started the engine, and engaged transmission to drive(D), the car wasn't moving.
It was just stuck in stationary mode.

Me: We'd come take a look at it shortly.

Client: OK, pls hurry up!

Me: Clients are so in a hurry, not minding if you're busy, or not.

I got to the car, replicated her scenario, realised the transmission was engaging, but there was a noise coming underneath the car; removed driver side tyre, lo and behold, surprisingly, the CV solid shaft had broken into two.

MY OBSERVATIONS
1. Solid shaft that held both the internal and outer CV joints failed at the middle of the shaft(midpoint).

2. The exact point(midpoint) where the shaft failed, was supposed to be the exact point, where the shaft damper resides.

3. Amazingly, the shaft damper in this case, wasn't on that position.

4. It may have failed also, and fallen off, since the damper itself, is made of rubber material that degrades with time, due to exposures to high temperatures, etc.

THE FIX!
1. Supported the car on Jack stands, ensuring we're not exposed to safety related hazards
2. Remove the inner and outer CV joints, with the broken pieces of the solid shaft.

DECISION MAKING PROCESS
a. On assessing and evaluating the broken shaft, we had two options, and another third, from the owner of the car(a woman for that matter!).

b. I had presented the following options to the client:

¶ replace the solid shaft, with another one, since both inner and outer CV joints are OK,

¶ replace the whole CV joints and the shaft with a used one from an automobile used market,

¶ ...and her own piece of advice, which was to get the CV solid shaft electric arc welded.

Her advice seems reasonable, and less expensive, but the risks in getting involved in such an "adventure", was way too high.

What happens, if for instance, the shaft suddenly gives away, when driving? Definitely, I'd be held responsible, and lots of legal issues, could spring up.

3. So, at the end, we both came to a consensus, and opted for option #1(solid shaft replacement only).

4. We ensured the CV joints boots were not ruptured, and any that shown signs of cracks or rupture, were replaced; and lithium grease applied to the ball bearings in the CV joints.

NOW TO THE ANALYSIS
1. After we were done with job, we took the broken shaft, and decided to critically analyse, why would the shaft cut into two halves the way it did?

2. Why wasn't it the " standard " ball joint/CV joints that pulled or gave way to this failure?

HOW DO YOU AVOID EMBARRASSING SHAFT ISSUES?
1. Ensure your car's CV joints boots are always inspected for cracks, or ruptures whenever you're at the filing station, or at your mechanic's shop.

2. Always insists shaft boots(hoses) are replaced, when any abnormalities are discovered.

Do not manage ruptured hoses.
They cause the lubricating fluids in the shaft boots to oxidized, exposing them to corrosion, and subsequent failure.

They end up at the end, embarrassing you on the highways.

3. Always insists on using lithium grease during lubrications.
Using any other grease, would hasten the wear and tear on the CV bearings.

CONCLUSIONS.
For this particular kind of failure, the major reason I could adduced to the failure of the shaft was as a result of CORROSION, and maybe design flaws on the shaft, and the location of the shaft damper on that model of Honda accord (2003:Eagle eye).

I hope this piece of information, saves you the pains and embarrassment, associated with Honda's CV joints shaft issues.

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(WhatsApp/call)
DW Nig Ltd
Lagos
www.dxta.net.ng
...serving you passionately with a difference

2 Likes

Re: That Honda Accord Front End Embarrassment by vikacydevato(m): 4:58pm On Jul 13, 2018
Taken !
Re: That Honda Accord Front End Embarrassment by nadalion: 5:13pm On Jul 13, 2018
Thanks for the information.
Re: That Honda Accord Front End Embarrassment by ITbomb(m): 5:21pm On Jul 13, 2018
Exactly what scared me from taking home an Accord, later settled for a Hyundai
Re: That Honda Accord Front End Embarrassment by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:57pm On Jul 13, 2018
Next time make the decisions.

In removing the solid shaft from the C.V joints you had to bang really hard on the outershaft.

You were better off replacing the entire C.V joint on the side that failed instead of the patch work you just did.

The failure is common, and can be found on a lot of honda vehicles. 2003-2012. The damper location is usually where the failure occurs, it is eaten up by rust and that is its weakest point.

If you value your time, and the overall quality of the repair job, do not compromise.

1 Like

Re: That Honda Accord Front End Embarrassment by TRYGO(m): 6:21pm On Jul 13, 2018
Yeah, we do get your sense of reasoning.

All options were put on the table before we decided with our allies to strike Binladen in Pakistan!

Definitely, we didn't strike Binladen with much force.

We had to allow the part sellers do that banging thing.

Nice response.

Regards,
Joseph
Re: That Honda Accord Front End Embarrassment by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:33pm On Jul 13, 2018
TRYGO:
Yeah, we do get your sense of reasoning.

All options were put on the table before we decided with our allies to strike Binladen in Pakistan!

Definitely, we didn't strike Binladen with much force.

We had to allow the part sellers do that banging thing.

Nice response.

Regards,
Joseph

point is, banging creates cracks on the cadge holding the ball which are not visible immediately.

Re: That Honda Accord Front End Embarrassment by TRYGO(m): 6:41pm On Jul 13, 2018
Decoded!
Re: That Honda Accord Front End Embarrassment by diportivo: 7:43pm On Jul 13, 2018
smh

fuckery everywhere

undecided
Re: That Honda Accord Front End Embarrassment by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 13, 2018

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

External Airbags Could Be Available Before The End Of The Decade. / #ford Cars - My Biggest Repair Challenge So Far / Help Needed For My Camry 2006

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.