Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,092 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:04 AM

SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. (16985 Views)

Bandit Flaunts Ransom On Social Media / How I Nearly Get Scammed By Someone that asked me for Help. / Woman Devastated After Her Nude Picture Was Released On Social Media. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by TechCapon(m): 11:29am On Jul 16, 2018
TechCapon

Social media is fun ! It has brought a lot of good things to the world but at the same brought a lot of pain. Scammers have made social media their number one platform and they keep bringing up one strategy or the other. Some scams are obvious while others are not and without wasting any time I want to show you some ways Nigerians fall prey to scammers on social media. They are called Yahoo boys even though most of them use Facebook, maybe the name should be changed to Facebook boys. Lol

1. ROMANCE

This is like the easiest and most popular form of tactics being used by scammers and surprisingly people fall for this everyday especially ladies. Anyone can just sweet talk a lady into parting with her money especially when the lady is desperate and needs love and attention. That doesn’t mean guys don’t fall either. Scammers now use female profile pictures to fool guys as well and get money from them. Some scammers are well organised and they have females working for them, answering the phones and so on.

2. IDENTITY THEFT

In one of my recent blog posts I made a detailed review of how Identity theft work and how to easily identify it. They can easily steal the identity of someone close to you and start sending you “convincing” private messages and you think you’re dealing with the right person. Before you know it you have revealed your personal details to them.

3. People asking for help.

Humans are emotional and will always help each other. It’s very good to help others but the sad irony is, scammers use this method a lot especially on social media. They tell touching stories that may be nothing more than a well garnished lie just to play with your emotions and before you know it, you’ve fallen prey to a scammer. This sad trend still happen everyday.

4. Phishing

They send e-mails and more e-mails to remind you that your subscription will soon expire bla bla bla. This seems obvious, but with more and more companies offering real support on social media, remember. Your bank will never ask for your account number on social media. Or your PIN or your password. Yet people still drop their bank details to some crook hiding behind a laptop!

5. Money laundering

Scammers are scammers because they’re good at tricking people. People have gotten into trouble by just helping others receiving money and withdrawing it for them or allowing someone transfer money into their accounts. They come up with stories of how they’ve exceeded their withdrawal limit bla bla bla or their wife is in labor and they can’t afford to wait on the line. You don’t know if the money is being transferred with a stolen ATM card and automatically the bank blocks your account and send out an alert on you. The moment you walk into the bank to make a complaint, you get arrested and land in jail.

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/scam-alert-top-5-ways-nigerians-get-scammed-on-social-media/

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by ipobarethieves: 11:41am On Jul 16, 2018
sad
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by adewumiopeyemi(m): 11:57am On Jul 16, 2018
cool cool
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by TechCapon(m): 11:59am On Jul 16, 2018
InternetMarketNG:

Nice post, straight to ft.. Even though people see this many people reading this will still get scammed. Naija guys has so many logic grin grin
of course people will always get scammed but at least let's minimize it by creating awareness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by newbie2018: 1:22pm On Jul 16, 2018
...money must be made but at least wisely

1 Like

Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by ednut1(m): 1:22pm On Jul 16, 2018
job advert, visa lottery.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by ItzBIM(m): 1:22pm On Jul 16, 2018
Greed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by BiafranBushBoy: 1:23pm On Jul 16, 2018
lol

Who cares? Abeg no spoil work for people... Time to read...

Ten ways to make money illegally in Nigeria

Thank me later. wink

2 Likes

Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by Niyi9002(m): 1:23pm On Jul 16, 2018
No 1 should be fake fixed match scamming. Those guys are advanced now and work in syndicates

11 Likes

Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by Postboiswag(m): 1:24pm On Jul 16, 2018
Have been scammed severally on social media.... Although Na small money
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by newbie2018: 1:24pm On Jul 16, 2018
Postboiswag:
Have been scammed severally on social media.... Although Na small money
tho
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by LordOrochimaru(m): 1:25pm On Jul 16, 2018
Nothing good comes from ripping people of hard earned cash.

2 Likes

Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 16, 2018
I think I had the romance scam done on me but my chi was awake and my ass was brass

If I had I would've given him embarassed

2 Likes

Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by defemidefemi(m): 1:25pm On Jul 16, 2018
Nigeria pastors/Church formats

4 Likes

Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by sheubaba2013: 1:25pm On Jul 16, 2018
Clean fairly used rug carpet for sell, call sheubaba on 08038834322 or 09083200539. The size is Standard 12 by 12
Location is Ikeja, Lagos.
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by MrAnele(m): 1:25pm On Jul 16, 2018
Chai
Naija Don cast

10 Scams Gullible Nigerians Still Fall For

Don't forget to Visit ictjobber.com, Nigeria's first designated Tech Job Portal for your latest ICT job vacancies in Nigeria
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by Tjohnnay: 1:27pm On Jul 16, 2018
Mmm

grin
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 16, 2018
Thanks for helping us know how to scam our fellow Naija fellows... grin cheesy
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by ychris: 1:35pm On Jul 16, 2018
Cool

1 Like

Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by Reelmii: 1:35pm On Jul 16, 2018
awon temi sasee.... ole lobaomoje kin sha tii lowo...
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 16, 2018
OP, gracias. wink

Bulk SMS Business - Daily Earnings Guaranteed!
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by adewumiopeyemi(m): 1:46pm On Jul 16, 2018
You don fall for them before undecided
Niyi9002:
No 1 should be fake fixed match scamming. Those guys are advanced now and work in syndicates
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by 21savages: 1:47pm On Jul 16, 2018
I knw yahoo boiz on this plat form wount be hapi wit this post.

1 Like

Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by Dearlord(m): 1:52pm On Jul 16, 2018
This reminds me of this idiot,
On Jan 11, 2017 08:47, "Rev. Rose Lopez" <rev.roselopez@yandex.com> wrote:
Greetings to you,

I'm Rev Sister Rose Lopez. a friend to Dr. Lauren. from the United Kingdom.
Am here in Senegal for voluntarily missionary work with (ChildHope Charity Foundation support to Senegal). Sorry for my late response, we just arrived here in Senegal and i have been trying to set up our tents in other to start our missionary works immediately, it's sunny here so much and we have a lot of places to visit.

I have been able to make contacts concerning the shipping of the package from your friend which contains 2 new laptops, a phone, 1 new wristwatch and 1 envelope.

UPS worldwide shipping services is much more effective and rapid and they will take 3 working days for the parcel to reach your home address, UPS Checked the kilogram and charged $137 usd only to dispatch the package to your contact address in your country.

I want to tell you that this is my first time to visit Africa and i don' t have any personal bank account to give you as a reverend sister, but i have made an inquiry with our driver here and she told me that the only way you can send the shipping fee to me is through Westernunion transfer which is the fastest means of sending money here.

So i will advice that you send the shipping fee through any money transfer agency such as Westernunion transfer and forward the transfer informations to me in my names so I will go and ship your package at UPS today.

Here below is my informations which you will use to make the payment:

Receiver Name : Rose Lopez
Receiver Address : 76D rue de Catholic, Grandyoff, Dakar
Receiver Country : Senegal
Receiver Telephone: +221705714372
Amount: $137 usd

Use the Above information to transfer the UPS fee and call me as soon as you send the money, also photocopy the payment receipt and send me a copy to enable me receive the money from their local office here and then i will go to ship your package today because i will be visiting two villages here next week.
The UPS officials told me that there is no possibility of sending your package without payment, so the shipping fee is the only thing that is delaying me to post the package to your address now.

Waiting to hear from you soon.

Rev Sister Rose Lopez.
email: Rev.roselopez@yandex.com
Phone:+221 705-714-372

Childhope

1 Like

Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by Dacronym(m): 1:58pm On Jul 16, 2018
No 3 is Causing problem
Cause a lot of ppl actually need help no thanks to the guys like Jraph angry angry

1 Like

Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by EmmaLege: 2:00pm On Jul 16, 2018
angry
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by Speakdatruth: 2:03pm On Jul 16, 2018
Nigerians get scammed of it's the other way around.
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 16, 2018
Stupid Scammers...
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by SEONaijaExpert: 2:05pm On Jul 16, 2018
*Design a Blog * Full search engine optimization
0815 134 9272
Re: SCAM ALERT: Top 5 Ways Nigerians Get Scammed On Social Media. by EmmaLege: 2:10pm On Jul 16, 2018
Na wa..
Dearlord:
This reminds me of this idiot,
On Jan 11, 2017 08:47, "Rev. Rose Lopez" <rev.roselopez@yandex.com> wrote:
Greetings to you,

I'm Rev Sister Rose Lopez. a friend to Dr. Lauren. from the United Kingdom.
Am here in Senegal for voluntarily missionary work with (ChildHope Charity Foundation support to Senegal). Sorry for my late response, we just arrived here in Senegal and i have been trying to set up our tents in other to start our missionary works immediately, it's sunny here so much and we have a lot of places to visit.

I have been able to make contacts concerning the shipping of the package from your friend which contains 2 new laptops, a phone, 1 new wristwatch and 1 envelope.

UPS worldwide shipping services is much more effective and rapid and they will take 3 working days for the parcel to reach your home address, UPS Checked the kilogram and charged $137 usd only to dispatch the package to your contact address in your country.

I want to tell you that this is my first time to visit Africa and i don' t have any personal bank account to give you as a reverend sister, but i have made an inquiry with our driver here and she told me that the only way you can send the shipping fee to me is through Westernunion transfer which is the fastest means of sending money here.

So i will advice that you send the shipping fee through any money transfer agency such as Westernunion transfer and forward the transfer informations to me in my names so I will go and ship your package at UPS today.

Here below is my informations which you will use to make the payment:

Receiver Name : Rose Lopez
Receiver Address : 76D rue de Catholic, Grandyoff, Dakar
Receiver Country : Senegal
Receiver Telephone: +221705714372
Amount: $137 usd

Use the Above information to transfer the UPS fee and call me as soon as you send the money, also photocopy the payment receipt and send me a copy to enable me receive the money from their local office here and then i will go to ship your package today because i will be visiting two villages here next week.
The UPS officials told me that there is no possibility of sending your package without payment, so the shipping fee is the only thing that is delaying me to post the package to your address now.

Waiting to hear from you soon.

Rev Sister Rose Lopez.
email: Rev.roselopez@yandex.com
Phone:+221 705-714-372

Childhope

This fornat don old oo grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

52-year-old Father Of Four Arrested For Defiling 12-year-old Girl, Blames Devil / Three Arrested As Hunter Shoots 14-Year-Old Girl Dead In Lagos / Police Arrest Man Who Tricks His Wife To Sell Baby For N150,000 [photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.