Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,174 members, 7,807,557 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:17 PM

2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP (35575 Views)

I Exercised My Constitutional Right In Picking Funke As My Running Mate - Jandor / Donald Duke Releases 2019 Campaign Posters For Presidential Election / 2019: You Will Return To Your Homosexual Cows Says Reno Omokri To Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:45pm On Jul 16, 2018
Donald Duke, former governor of Cross River state, says the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) cannot zone his constitutional rights, stating that he has the right to aspire, win or lose the party’s presidential ticket.

Duke, who was governor from 1999 to 2007 says he had always wanted to be president since 2005, with the plan to solve Nigeria’s productivity problem.

He said about two thirds of the total population of the country — about 132 million people — are unproductive.

Speaking in an interview with Osasu Igbinedion on The Osasu Show, Duke said the lack of productivity is responsible for the insurgency, insecurity and unemployment in Nigeria.

Duke had in February 2017, announced his intention to contest the 2019 presidential election.

He said the lack of will by leaders is another factor responsible for the challenges plaguing the country, adding that he has this will to offer.

“I have had interest in the presidency since 2005. It has always been there. The reason is that there is a certain level of frustration; we seem not to be making the requisite progress we ought to be making as a nation and we all know that we are better than what we are today,” Duke said.

“And to me, the answers to our problems are not far-fetched. What I find missing is the will to make it happen and this is what I bring to the table.

“What I would like to do, to move our nation forward, we need to address the productivity of a Nigerian. Here you are, a nation of almost 200 million people. Two-thirds are not productive. Two-thirds actually depend on one-third.

“When you see the problems we are having, whether it is Boko Haram, the militancy, the kidnapping it is all born of the fact that …people are discontent and the discontent is a result of not being able to fend for oneself. So, we have to address the productivity. If every Nigerian were productive, believe me, we won’t have Boko Haram.”

Duke further said the statistics of unemployment and failure of leadership in Nigeria “is what fuels my interest” to run for presidency.

According to him, the education system needed to be reformed to provide for skill acquisition for every graduate.

“That is what fuels my interest. We talk the talk, we know what to say, we know our problems but do we have the will, do we have the strategy to make it happen. I went into the numbers. This is a developing country where many thighs ought to be done are not being done,” he said.

“So the reason for people not having jobs is a bit off because people should have a lot of jobs. For example, we have 20m housing shortage and that in itself can engage about 15m people.

“The four things that I would immediately address, we talk about education but in today’s world, it is more than just reading and writing. Education should leave you with a skill.

“So, for me, every brain must be trained because an untrained brain is a drain on the nation, because that brain will be dependent on another brain for its own subsistence. So, we need to invest heavily on education and skill development.”

He also said he would give priority to the areas of infrastructure, health and technological advancement.

Commenting on the administration of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Duke said the government is distracted.

He said the government was addressing the symptoms of the problems, not the problems themselves.

“This administration, I think they are being distracted. I think they came into office not really appreciating the totality of the picture and the fixation on corruption and security they don’t look at the broader picture. Those are symptoms of a problem, not the problem itself,” he said.

“There are two types of corruption: corruption of greed and corruption of need . corruption of greed, we can deal with it institutionally, having a strong judiciary but corruption of need, a policeman who has 8 children at home, a family back in the village and is paid a pittance will find a way of making money on the side. That you can’t stop. So, they didn’t think of the totality and this is a recurring problem, not just with this administration.

Asked his chances of contesting on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) since the party has zoned the presidential ticket to the north, Duke said: “ You cant zone my constitutional right”.

“I have a right to aspire, I have a right to win, I have a right to lose. How realistic is dependent on the electorate. They would realise my ambition. I believe there is enough frustration in Nigeria to take the scales off our eyes and say ‘look, who is gonna solve our problem’?

“If I run, I might lose, if I don’t run, I am guaranteed to lose. So, I will give it a shot, I will give Nigerians the option of Donald Duke. The worse that would happen is that I lose. For me, the bigger loss is not offering myself.”

https://www.thecable.ng/donald-duke-two-thirds-nigerians-unproductive-problem

85 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by jerryadigun: 6:59pm On Jul 16, 2018
Baba, use your education and influence to fight for the disintegration of this country. Perhaps we may have a system as similar to the EU commission.

Nigeria is big enough to have up to 8 countries. Moreover, there are countries in EU with population not up to the efik/ibibio tribe e.g Iceland, Finland, Croatia etc.

If you think you have a chance in this highly tribalized country, then you are the most naive politician I know.

Enough said.

P.S it's high time we started talking about the future of this country. Diversity has never helped any country.
No matter who becomes president, the country is doomed to fail under this present arrangement.

244 Likes 15 Shares

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 16, 2018
Good luck
Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by FunnyDude(m): 6:59pm On Jul 16, 2018
Duke na so who na dey talk. When una enter office finish na rubbish una go dey play Nigerians like Ighalo super Eagles

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by NSNA: 7:00pm On Jul 16, 2018
Duke or Sowore

58 Likes

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by Michaellegend(m): 7:00pm On Jul 16, 2018
Ride on Sir...we dey your back

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by chinnasa: 7:00pm On Jul 16, 2018
ftc
Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by IsaacBuchi(m): 7:00pm On Jul 16, 2018
“If I run, I might lose, if I don’t run, I am guaranteed to lose.

That's the voice of a guaranteed loser.

He is not even my problem, my problem is I'm damn tired of Nigeria.

Nothing works in this country. Even ordinary greeting/please still makes people angry in this country.

27 Likes

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by Ijaya123: 7:00pm On Jul 16, 2018
I like your spirit. Keep it up.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by PassingShot(m): 7:00pm On Jul 16, 2018
Beginning of Implosion

grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by Idrismusty97(m): 7:00pm On Jul 16, 2018
Yes. Fight Fight Fight! PDP should just allow all these people contest na, are they not Nigerians? Why must it be a Northerner cool

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by EweduAfonja(f): 7:01pm On Jul 16, 2018
He's not even in PDP sef..

olosho man

9 Likes

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by Investorbj: 7:01pm On Jul 16, 2018
If only they will allow him...

1 Like

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by RexTramadol1: 7:01pm On Jul 16, 2018
Okay
Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by princetboy(m): 7:01pm On Jul 16, 2018
you are good to run sir

4 Likes

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by EasterDell: 7:01pm On Jul 16, 2018
Silly man! You want to run for President by pulling down all the governmets before you. Okonjo exposed the mendacity of your mediocrity!

What commendable productive activity have you ever done outside government?

Even the so called Tinapa couldn't stand the test of time!

All of a sudden, he now knows zoning is unconstitutional. Plz.... Go and join the unemployment line. Jobless unproductive arrogant idiats.

14 Likes

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jul 16, 2018
One Donald Duke = Buhari + Atiku+Dankwambo+Lamido+Kwankwaso

9 Likes

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by Akinya17: 7:02pm On Jul 16, 2018
He made some valid points.

21 Likes

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by Anijay1212(m): 7:03pm On Jul 16, 2018
angry
Sir your time is not yet come.
But come 2023 you will have my total support.
All i want is for this current administration to run its natural course.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jul 16, 2018
This man should shut up, is it today he joined PDP? since 1999 he didnt know zoning is unconstitutional?

5 Likes

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by wickyyolo: 7:03pm On Jul 16, 2018
Atiku and Donald Duke Combo go make sense.

Both Liberals and are ready to work.

7 Likes

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by IamNat: 7:03pm On Jul 16, 2018
They won't allow him
Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by Omeokachie: 7:04pm On Jul 16, 2018
Go and contest primaries. abi you wan join the enemies of the people too?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by Pavore9: 7:04pm On Jul 16, 2018
That is why the system oppose independent candidacy! angry

1 Like

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by yarimo(m): 7:04pm On Jul 16, 2018
Mr DUKE take it easy, you can't get 2 % of votes if you are to contest against president BUHARI in 2019 presidential election. grin

7 Likes

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by KingLennon(m): 7:04pm On Jul 16, 2018
We need a vibrant young man to rule this country. Our own Emmanuel macron grin

1 Like

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by DoyenExchange: 7:04pm On Jul 16, 2018
Looks more like Emmanuel Macron of France! We need a young president! cool

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 16, 2018
Wale2593:
Hmm

Am a computer science graduate, i stay in Lagos and am in need of job kindly help, this is my number 09075395495

do you know how to code? i mean write codes?

4 Likes

Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by ddippset(m): 7:05pm On Jul 16, 2018
grin
Re: 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP by asha9: 7:06pm On Jul 16, 2018
Who's this clown? Is he even in PDP? cheesy

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Esan People March For Obaseki In Benin(Photo) / Risqua: Murtala Muhammed Left N7,000 In His Account As Ex Head Of State / #EndSARSMemorial Protest In Abuja In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.