Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens (3246 Views)

Tension As South East Governors Beef Up Security Around State House / National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital / Mimiko Absent As South-west Governors Converge In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by AloyEmeka5: 10:47am On Jun 13, 2010
[size=14pt]As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens[/size]

By Peter Claver Oparah

As at moment, the entire globe is focused on and headed to South Africa, that country which before 1990 was under the jackboot of white supremacists. Today, it is the country to be. It is the greatest hope for African renaissance. It is the quintessential reminder that Africa is not totally lost. It is the destination of choice for those who wish to believe that Africa still has hopes of redemption from the colossal human atrophy that this vast continent has been reduced to. It is the outpost of reawakening. It is a signal that all is not lost with the lost continent.

As one watches the glistening display from that sunny outpost from Africa, one is overwhelmed by the nostalgic feeling that it should have been our country Nigeria. One sincerely wished that the entire world would have jettisoned the contempt and anger Nigeria presently provokes in human community to focus on what is possible in this despoiled and bestially abused country. One nurses the feeling that the bright, gay and showy fillip that now sways over South Africa and her people is Nigeria’s. Holed up in an unworkable and greatly hobbled hell hole, with a plethora of life-endangering man-made and man-sustained problems to battle with, there is no hiding the envy when one watches the entire world, with its kens fixed on South Africa. The nagging personal question, which every Nigerian asks himself at this very moment, is how and where did this unending rain start beating us?

Who would have believed that the South Africa that radiates with so much promise today was the country we were practically eking out our ounces to deliver from racist grips some light years ago? Who would have believed that this was a land, the plight of whose people provoked soul-stirring renditions from our songsters just the other day? Who would have believed that this was a land where the black majority was made to hew woods and fetch waters for its white settlers the other day? Who would have believed that this was the same land that stirred our brotherly camaraderie so much that we elected unto ourselves to lead its liberation just some few years ago?

But then, one wonders how we came to be so outstripped, so out-paced and so humbled by a country that gained its real freedom some 20 years ago yet we are blundering around in a circuitous movement to nowhere. We have become the butt of modern ribaldry on how to under-develop a nation while South Africa has become the masterpiece of Africa. We are lumbering like a blind giant in pitch darkness to celebrate our golden jubilee as a free nation while South Africa joins the developed world in space. We do not have light, water, roads, basic Medicare, good education, security, quality life, employment; basics of life, which South Africa has put behind it. In contrast, the successful quest to host the world was just a road show of South Africa’s success as a nation while our own quest was meant to just amuse the human race. Our country that humors itself as the giant of Africa is nothing more than a human disaster and a looming international crisis waiting to happen while South Africa has risen from the sphinx of racial domination to a great force in international politics.

We are day dreaming that in ten years from now, we will, through magical feat and necromancy, become one of the wealthiest nations on earth while South Africa works assiduously to become not only one of the wealthiest nations on earth but also Africa’s undisputable lodestar. It has cleverly conscripted our economic space and is still rampaging like an untamed bull for our economic choice portion while we perfect the art of electoral fraud, treasury raiding, 419, treachery, unearned capital, and all other forms of unmerited consumption, South Africa is bracing the tacks and firming the girdle on technological advancement, democratic perfection, racial assimilation, etc.

We have become perpetual slaves to ethnic, sectarian and dialectical paranoids while South Africa is gradually melding its disparate racial tendencies into an unputdownable workforce that will compete with the rest of humanity for developed space. Nigeria has become permanently suspended in mutual fear, unending acrimony and suspicion while South Africa has battled its fears, combated its dissimilarities and forged a national spirit that was at full display as it worked to meet its mandate in giving the world a competition to remember. We watched as South Africans set targets of development and delivered well on time. We watched the national pride and selflessness that were abrasively on display as the country worked to meet the target for hosting the world cup. We watched as a serious country walked the talk and ensured that it put in place, in record time, infrastructures that, met world standards needed to host the global audience that are melting in South Africa for the world cup.

That spirit sprung the vuvuzella, that loud hooting blast for which one can really do nothing against. Their national anthem, Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika.remains a soul-stirring, attention-catching and memory-igniting reminiscence of the past that more than anything, fires the zeal in them to say, ‘Never Again’. It is more than a song as it encompasses the sweet-sad story of people on the threshold of history. It spawned a certain touchable national pride that has been in eccentric display at this world cup. It meshed together cultures and lore that speak of a country at the very doorsteps of civilization. This contrasts sharply with our own incoherent mumbling of disagreeing phrases, which hold no meaning to nobody, as our national anthem. Their fanatic attachment to the Bafana Bafana, even in its modest showings, remains a study in national team spirit and you can’t beat that.

Last year, my friend, Joe Igbokwe visited South Africa and angered by the great disparity between what he saw in South Africa and the extended mediocrity we celebrate here in Nigeria, he questioned why the white man left us as early as he did. Nigerians, in their characteristic display of empty national pride, descended on him with raw anger. But we all know ourselves; we hate the truth and love deceiving ourselves in the name of empty national pride. One thought that with the stoic display Nigerians put up in defending this human wasteland, things will progressively change for the better but it keeps getting worse. Our citizens still go through dehumanizing experiences to stow away to South Africa!

We want to hide the fact that Our country remains a cringing wasteland of over 150 million people, eighty five per cent of whom are condemned to a brutish, short and nasty life by preventable disease want, hunger. Try as much as we do this, we end up deceiving only ourselves, the world knows us and they waste no chance to state that Nigerians have debased humanity! Do our so-called leaders care? We want to show that we are ready to lay down our lives for an artificial country completely devastated by corruption and avarice, which surprisingly is not abating, even at the threshold of a new world order that aims to build nations and men. Our life expectancy is shrinking at an alarming proportion and new templates of privation are spewed out by our so called leaders at every moment of our sad and shrunken national life.

As South Africa glows in splendor at what human possibility can do, Nigeria shrinks into decay and rot; a tottering buffoon that constitutes a worrying irritant to humanity. We are at the nadir of development while South Africa powers so forcefully to light. We are down, and from all indications, out. The present world cup will give Nigeria a tremendous opportunity to deeply and sincerely reflect on how and where we went wrong and possible opportunities for redemption. Our leaders have trouped into South Africa in droves and you bet they will come back with only negative nuances to worsen life in this woe-ridden country. Nothing will change for our cheated country. But the world cup experience must warn us that we cannot simply continue on this jaded stretch. It is ours to take or leave.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15731&catid=188&Itemid=199
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Gbawe: 11:50am On Jun 13, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

[size=14pt]As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens[/size]

As South Africa glows in splendor at what human possibility can do, Nigeria shrinks into decay and rot; a tottering buffoon that constitutes a worrying irritant to humanity. We are at the nadir of development while South Africa powers so forcefully to light. We are down, and from all indications, out. The present world cup will give Nigeria a tremendous opportunity to deeply and sincerely reflect on how and where we went wrong and possible opportunities for redemption. Our leaders have trouped into South Africa in droves and you bet they will come back with only negative nuances to worsen life in this woe-ridden country. Nothing will change for our cheated country. But the world cup experience must warn us that we cannot simply continue on this jaded stretch. It is ours to take or leave.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15731&catid=188&Itemid=199

Absolutely nonsensical and ridiculously biased self-hating tirade grossly devoid of factual balance or objectivity. The author may be a "worrying irritant to humanity" but the same is not true of the many Nigerians , home and abroad, contributing positively to humanity through proffessional and personal endeavours.

It is alarming how many Nigerians have now become unrepentant self-hater to the extent that reason ,common sense and facts routinely fly out of the window in the haste to demonise their own Country while extolling even the Devil as better than the average Nigerian.

South Africa is far better than Nigeria in every facet yet it has far more violent crime per capita that Nigeria, is the "rape capital of the world" and recently (2008) shocked the World with a disgraceful and murderous display of xenophobic rage against foreigners !!!

Despite all that, and according to this self-hating Nigerian, we should all be packed off to hell because we are "irritants to humanity" while the 'saintly' folks of South Africa should be ordained as the Angels of Africa because their Country is more economically developed than ours !!! The ridiculous reasoning of some Nigerians , no doubt clouded by irredeemable self-hatred , never fails to amaze me !!!!

http://www.examiner.com/x-3747-Louisville-City-Hall-Examiner~y2009m6d20-South-Africa--Rape-capital-of-the-world
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Justcash(m): 12:18pm On Jun 13, 2010
Gbawe:

Absolutely nonsensical and ridiculously biased self-hating tirade grossly devoid of factual balance or objectivity. The author may be a "worrying irritant to humanity" but the same is not true of the many Nigerians , home and abroad, contributing positively to humanity through proffessional and personal endeavours.

It is alarming how many Nigerians have now become unrepentant self-hater to the extent that reason ,common sense and facts routinely fly out of the window in the haste to demonise their own Country while extolling even the Devil as better than the average Nigerian.

South Africa is far better than Nigeria in every facet yet it has far more violent crime per capita that Nigeria, is the "despoil capital of the world" and recently (2008) shocked the World with a disgraceful and murderous display of xenophobic rage against foreigners !!!

Despite all that, and according to this self-hating Nigerian, we should all be packed off to hell because we are "irritants to humanity" while the 'saintly' folks of South Africa should be ordained as the Angels of Africa because their Country is more economically developed than ours !!! The ridiculous reasoning of some Nigerians , no doubt clouded by irredeemable self-hatred , never fails to amaze me !!!!

http://www.examiner.com/x-3747-Louisville-City-Hall-Examiner~y2009m6d20-South-Africa--despoil-capital-of-the-world

Your response is an echo of my thought.

As South Africa glistens, more truths about the hospitable nature, culture and investment potentials in Africa as a whole will be revealed. As a matter of fact, The glistening of South Africa is in no way casting a shadow (Darkness) on Nigeria.
If the author was a frequent traveler, He/She would have known that Core tourists and investors don't stop in a country when they visit a continent. They strive to reach as far as they can in search of fun or investment opportunities.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by AloyEmeka5: 10:55pm On Jun 13, 2010
hmm
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by blackmann(m): 11:03pm On Jun 13, 2010
The way some people wake up in the morning to construct such trash amazes me. Many Nigerians have become so unfortunate that common sense eludes them. Instead of them to wake up and come together to find ways forward for the country, they hiss and cuss in their booze-infested drunken minds and write crap like this.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Osama10(m): 11:13pm On Jun 13, 2010
Hmmn na wa, "their booze-infested druken minds" all this for 1 person or everybody?
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Oba234: 11:36pm On Jun 13, 2010
Honestly, I am currently in south africa and I can say south africa is beautiful. It way more developed than nigeria. Since I have been here, I haven't heard one generator sound yet and light is 24/7. There are no police on the express way asking for money and I have yet to see a pot hole. People say crime is bad here, but crime is bad everywhere. I am a female and I feel safe down here than in Nigeria. (true talk). I feel like crime rate here is exaggerated. Nigeria crime rate is probably on the same level or even higher than south africa because crime in nigeria is not reported especially with the corrupt bureaucracy that runs the government. How does anybody know what the crime rate is in Nigeria? Nobody has a way of knowing the true crime rate in Nigeria in comparison to south africa where things are run more efficiently. This is a proud moment for africa and I am proud of south africa. Anyway, I still love NIGERIA.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Sammy107d(m): 4:56am On Jun 14, 2010
Slightly off-topic here. Anyone noticed how his subjective rantings eclipsed his literary genius? It brought me to one profound realization that has escaped me most of my college life: In the eyes of the reader, quality does not beat content. I've always submitted essays and projects stuffed with controversial views, with creating bitter dissonance in the lecturer's mind as my objective. Well, now I think I know why that 'A' seldom comes with a plus.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by EzeUche(m): 5:42am On Jun 14, 2010
Do not blame the author.

This defeatist attitude is present throughout our society. If it wasn't we would have already had a revolution in this cursed country.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by AloyEmeka5: 6:00am On Jun 14, 2010
Nigerians getting defensive again anytime you tell them about their pitiable situation. Patriotism will not fix the nation abegi.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by trueword: 7:19am On Jun 14, 2010
It's true that South Africa is progressing while Nigeria continues to take 10 steps back, we should keep in mind that many of the developments/infrastructure were put in place by the white south africans. Cities like Johannesburg and Pretoria have been in existence since early 1900s, so Nigeria and South Africa were not started on in the same way. Still this in no way excuses nigeria from all its faults. Nigeria has far more natural and human resources but has yet to do anything with it. Sometimes I wonder how there can be so many brilliant nigerians out there but the  so called leaders are the worst of the bunch.

South Africa was fortunate to have had a man like Mandela to be their president and steer the country in the right direction. Imagine if they had someone like IBB instead of Mandela, that country would likely be in disarray.

As Jonathan and all these government officials are in south africa, I hope they feel shame and will open their eyes that while they are in nigeria looking for ways to loot money, their brothers in south africa are developing their country and attracting events like the World Cup.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Travelista(f): 7:38am On Jun 14, 2010
Oh, boy. Since when does constant light mean that a country is a promised land? Nigerians are so easily impressed, it's disgusting. It's so easy to abuse Nigeria when things aren't going well but the minute things turn around, all of her fair weather fans will come trooping back. Please, stay away and on SA's nuts, abeg. If it weren't for the Afrikaaners staying behind, SA wouldn't even be an afterthought in any sense of the word. Give them 40 years of Black leadership and see where they are; they have a polygamist for a Prez that thinks taking a shower gets rid of AIDS; sure signs of a country that continues to 'glisten', eh? If that's how SA operates, I fear where they'll be in 20 years.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Nobody: 8:07am On Jun 14, 2010
South Africa ke? Like Travelista said, let's give them 20yrs. They won't even smell Naija.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by AloyEmeka5: 8:39am On Jun 14, 2010
trueword:

It's true that South Africa is progressing while Nigeria continues to take 10 steps back, we should keep in mind that many of the developments/infrastructure were put in place by the white south africans. Cities like Johannesburg and Pretoria have been in existence since early 1900s, so Nigeria and South Africa were not started on in the same way. Still this in no way excuses nigeria from all its faults. Nigeria has far more natural and human resources but has yet to do anything with it. Sometimes I wonder how there can be so many brilliant nigerians out there but the  so called leaders are the worst of the bunch.

South Africa was fortunate to have had a man like Mandela to be their president and steer the country in the right direction. Imagine if they had someone like IBB instead of Mandela, that country would likely be in disarray.

As Jonathan and all these government officials are in south africa, I hope they feel shame and will open their eyes that while they are in nigeria looking for ways to loot money, their brothers in south africa are developing their country and attracting events like the World Cup.

Who cares who put them there as long as they are in place and functional. Are there no infrastructures put in place by white missionaries in Nigeria?. What is their condition now?
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by AloyEmeka5: 8:40am On Jun 14, 2010
Travelista:

Oh, boy. Since when does constant light mean that a country is a promised land? Nigerians are so easily impressed, it's disgusting. It's so easy to abuse Nigeria when things aren't going well but the minute things turn around, all of her fair weather fans will come trooping back. Please, stay away and on SA's nuts, abeg. If it weren't for the Afrikaaners staying behind, SA wouldn't even be an afterthought in any sense of the word. Give them 40 years of Black leadership and see where they are; they have a polygamist for a Prez that thinks taking a shower gets rid of AIDS; sure signs of a country that continues to 'glisten', eh? If that's how SA operates, I fear where they'll be in 20 years.

When has things ever gone well in Nigeria?. When?
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by jumobi1(m): 8:44am On Jun 14, 2010
Nigeria jaga jaga.
I don't know why some of my people are not disgusted by mediocrity. We better wake up. We are not living up to our potential as a country.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by trueword: 8:53am On Jun 14, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Who cares who put them there as long as they are in place and functional. Are there no infrastructures put in place by white missionaries in Nigeria?. What is their condition now?

There are but no where near the amount in south africa and were not developed as extensively. South Africa has Johanessburg, Pretoria, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, etc.  there is still a considerably large white population in south africa that lives in all these places.  What did nigeria get? Lagos? Calabar?

South Africa is better off because they started with Mandela while Nigeria started with Obasanjo. Imagine if in 1999 someone who was a visionary leader was elected, we would be close if not yet passed south africa in terms of development. Like I said earlier imagine if south africa began with someone like IBB that really caused the govt to rot.

Aloy+Emeka:

When has things ever gone well in Nigeria?. When?

Nigeria's economy was very strong in 70s and 80s. If not for bad leadership that crashed economy things wouldnt be as bad as they are now.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by AloyEmeka5: 8:57am On Jun 14, 2010
trueword:

There are but no where near the amount in south africa and were not developed as extensively. South Africa has Johanessburg, Pretoria, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, etc.  there is still a considerably large white population in south africa that lives in all these places.  What did nigeria get? Lagos? Calabar?

South Africa is better off because they started with Mandela while Nigeria started with Obasanjo. Imagine if in 1999 someone who was a visionary leader was elected, we would be close if not yet passed south africa in terms of development.
Like I said earlier imagine if south africa began with someone like IBB that really caused the govt to rot.
Whose fault is that?. Does that mean we should cross our fingers and blame geriatric Obasanjo for our woes?

Nigeria's economy was very strong in 70s and 80s. If not for bad leadership that crashed economy things wouldnt be as bad as they are now.

I gettam before no be property. Russia was a world power if you must know.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by trueword: 9:00am On Jun 14, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Whose fault is that?. Does that mean we should cross our fingers and blame geriatric Obasanjo for our woes?
I gettam before no be property. Russia was a world power if you must know.

It's nigeria's fault. the issue is that nigerians have never risen up to fight for their rights. south africa was able to get mandela because they refused to be denied their rights. If nigeria had fought for liberation there would be no room for people like obasanjo.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Crescentd(m): 9:11am On Jun 14, 2010
Oba234:

Honestly, I am currently in south africa and I can say south africa is beautiful. It way more developed than nigeria. Since I have been here, I haven't heard one generator sound yet and light is 24/7. There are no police on the express way asking for money and I have yet to see a pot hole. People say crime is bad here, but crime is bad everywhere. I am a female and I feel safe down here than in Nigeria. (true talk). I feel like crime rate here is exaggerated. Nigeria crime rate is probably on the same level or even higher than south africa because crime in nigeria is not reported especially with the corrupt bureaucracy that runs the government. How does anybody know what the crime rate is in Nigeria? Nobody has a way of knowing the true crime rate in Nigeria in comparison to south africa where things are run more efficiently. This is a proud moment for africa and I am proud of south africa. Anyway, I still love NIGERIA.

Exactly my sentiment anytime SA's crime issue crops up. I have been living in SA for years and I feel safer here than back home in Nigeria. Can anybody tell me our crime stastistics? SA collects statistics from all police stations in the country and publish it, do we do the same in Nigeria? Moreover, there is no kidnapping here, high robbery is few and far between, ritual killings is almost non existent. I was surprised the last time I went home, so many banks are having security cubicles at their entrance because of robberies, SA banks dont have that. Recently there have been reports of robbers holding the entire Aba town hostage, you dont get that scenario here.All these are major issues in Nigeria. I wake up around 2am and set out for a trip of around 500km and get to my destination safely. Can I do that in Nigeria?Yes crime is a problem here, their government did not deny it, publish statistics and at least are trying to address it. But then no matter what, I love my country.My two cents.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Kx: 9:14am On Jun 14, 2010
Truth is bitter they say.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Crescentd(m): 9:16am On Jun 14, 2010
Crescent_d:

Exactly my sentiment anytime SA's crime issue crops up. I have been living in SA for years and I feel safer here than back home in Nigeria. Can anybody tell me our crime stastistics? SA collects statistics from all police stations in the country and publish it, do we do the same in Nigeria? Moreover, there is no kidnapping here, high robbery is few and far between, ritual killings is almost non existent. I was surprised the last time I went home, so many banks are having security cubicles at their entrance because of robberies, SA banks dont have that. Recently there have been reports of robbers holding the entire Aba town hostage, you dont get that scenario here.All these are major issues in Nigeria. I wake up around 2am and set out for a trip of around 500km and get to my destination safely. Can I do that in Nigeria?Yes crime is a problem here, their government did not deny it, publish statistics and at least are trying to address it. But then no matter what, I love my country.My two cents.

I meant highway robbery.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by AloyEmeka5: 9:19am On Jun 14, 2010
trueword:

It's nigeria's fault. the issue is that nigerians have never risen up to fight for their rights. south africa was able to get mandela because they refused to be denied their rights. If nigeria had fought for liberation there would be no room for people like obasanjo.

It is more difficult fighting for liberation from your own self. Obasanjo and his cronies are of the same breed as all of us; so our quest for freedom is laughable. Are we inherently disingenuous and sinister or is it that we are cursed to be remain in squalor?
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by darqly(m): 9:24am On Jun 14, 2010
Yes,the 'Potential' activists are here again to expound on the potentials Nigeria has as usual. May we not all perish before this potential is converted at last at some point. All this false nationalism has done us no good and will indeed cause us more grief until we come to terms with reality. I'd give an arm and a leg to have steady power without a generator- think of the attendant effect it'd have on our lifestyles,our businesses,our environment. Short of a drastic re-alignment,20yrs from now we'll still be a land of shitty potential. And all of you in diaspora can keep spewing the tommy rot you're so good at whilst defending the fatherland.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Oba234: 9:24am On Jun 14, 2010
Travelista:

Oh, boy. Since when does constant light mean that a country is a promised land? Nigerians are so easily impressed, it's disgusting. [/b]It's so easy to abuse Nigeria when things aren't going well but the minute things turn around, all of her fair weather fans will come trooping back. Please, stay away and on SA's nuts, abeg. If it weren't for the Afrikaaners staying behind, SA wouldn't even be an afterthought in any sense of the word. Give them 40 years of Black leadership and see where they are; they have a polygamist for a Prez that thinks taking a shower gets rid of AIDS; sure signs of a country that continues to 'glisten', eh? [b]If that's how SA operates, I fear where they'll be in 20 years.

wow, I can see some Nigerians settle for mediocrity.  Constant light is a good indicator of a strong economy. If Nigeria, had a stronger power system, it would attract more businesses. I would change our lifestyle for the better. traffic light would work all the time, etc.Nobody wants to keep relying on generators.  I was even embarrased to tell my egyptian friend that Nigeria doesn't have light 24/7. Her jaw dropped. You think not having light is something to be proud of in the 21st century? You think having police collect bribes when they are supposed to help the citizen is something I want to tell my non nigerian friends? Having lights go off in the airport is ghetto. Africans need to change their ghetto mentality. How is Nigeria going to attract tourist if there are no lights on the street. You really need to stop the hate on south africa. Appreciate a good thing when you see one. When Apartheid ended in 1994, South Africa's economy was terrible. The whites didn't hand them a good economy. Thank God for Nelson Mandela because it was up to South African to elevate themselves because they could have easily become like many other African countries, but they didn't. They have achieved a lot in a short amount of time. South Africa is the only country or one of the few that was able to change government without a civil war. The country could have easily entered a civil war. South Africa was even banned from the world cup by Fifa in the in the 1970s because of the apartheid system, but Mandela fought to host it and now is here.  If the country is on the same path it is now, they will flourish. You need to stop fearing for South Africa and fear for where Nigeria would be in 20yrs. Also, this is not a black or white issue. Countries such as Kenya, Botswana, namibia, Tanzania all have black leadership and their government is run way more efficiently than Nigeria. I know it is a bitter pill to swallow, but Nigerians really need to stop their arrogance and recognized that the country has many problems. Nigerians are one of the proudest people. We make a lot of noise especially the ones in Yankeee who yell about how great Nigeria is, but have nothing to show for it.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Abagworo(m): 9:26am On Jun 14, 2010
Controversial as it may sound,I will have to say this.Until Nigeria allows the Niger-deltans to absolutely control oil resources and management,erase national character so that Igbos will dominate everything and allow for absolutely free and fair election,we ain't going no where.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Oba234: 9:33am On Jun 14, 2010
Crescent_d:

I love ur post. I find it hilarious that some Nigerians are so quick to point out south Africa's crime rate when I can say boldly that Nigeria's crime rate is higher than south Africa according to my experience. I wish we had some kind of institutions in Nigeria that collect statistics from police station. I also wish we had an effective police system in Nigeria so we can actually compare the two country. Our leaders should go hide in shame.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Gbawe: 9:34am On Jun 14, 2010
@ all Nairalanders.

This thread shows how we have lost focus as a people. No doubt South Africa is more developed than Nigeria. Many will deem it a better place to live in also. Nonetheless no Nigerian should call us "a worrying irritant to humanity" merely because they have visited a nation where things work well. We are still a nation of good people even if , through negative utterance such as that cited above from this self-hating Nigerian, we have let the few bad eggs define our image .

I have nothing but admiration for most Nigerians I meet as , in any enviroment, they distinguish themselves Proffessionally and personally. For example, in the UK health sector today you will find that some of the brightest and most distinquished medical experts are Nigerian. I personally know a Nigerian who scored above all others , in a proffessional test, to emerge the brightest Pharmacist in a region of the UK . Those type of Nigerians will reject the tag " a worrying irritant to humanity".

These days , most Nigerians prefer to one-sidedly savage Nigeria without looking at the positives to realise that it may be more fruitful to become part of the struggle for the good leadership that will see us fulfil our potentials in turning Nigeria into the great nations we envy.

I reject been called "a worrying irritant to humanity" and I think we all should regardless of how unhappy we are with the state of our nation. South Africa has its serious challenges too that may not be apparent to casual visitors.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by AloyEmeka5: 9:42am On Jun 14, 2010
Abagworo:

Controversial as it may sound,I will have to say this.Until Nigeria allows the Niger-deltans to absolutely control oil resources and management,erase national character so that Igbos will dominate everything and allow for absolutely free and fair election,we ain't going no where.

Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by knotty(m): 9:47am On Jun 14, 2010
If one reconsiders the evil effect of corruption on the national psyche of Nigeria, it will be needless to compare her current sorry state to that of SA. The truth must be said, Nigeria is sick. She is ailing and needs surgery.

There was this statement made some time ago that bring all the people from Malaysia to Nigeria and transfer all Nigerians to Malaysia. Come back in 20 years, Nigeria will be what Malaysia is today and Malaysia will be what Nigeria is today.

So the problem is basically we Nigerians. We have lost value; we no longer respect hard work and honesty. Our artisans are not interested in learning the finer details of their jobs, they want to get paid. No wonder multi-nationals in the country prefer to hire Asians to do menial jobs here. We are lagging behind and terribly so.

Let’s face it, will Nigeria have built those stadia we are seeing today in SA and if yes, at what cost? Common Abuja second runway is such a monumental disgrace. Now imagine the scale of the construction project that went into hosting the World Cup.

Please, let us stop deceiving ourselves, we are lagging. We are a laughing stock, the world over. NIGERIA HAS TO WAKE UP.
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by Gbawe: 9:59am On Jun 14, 2010
darqly:

Yes,the 'Potential' activists are here again to expound on the potentials Nigeria has as usual. May we not all perish before this potential is converted at last at some point. All this false nationalism has done us no good and will indeed cause us more grief until we come to terms with reality. I'd give an arm and a leg to have steady power without a generator- think of the attendant effect it'd have on our lifestyles,our businesses,our environment. Short of a drastic re-alignment,20yrs from now we'll still be a land of shitty potential. And all of you in diaspora can keep spewing the tommy rot you're so good at whilst defending the fatherland.

Yes , and all you Prophets of 'doom and gloom' are here too with your distractive and negative predictions that will prevent you from realising that change , we must support , may be here and that perhaps you can play a positive part different to your usual role of not seeing anything good coming from Nigeria or Nigerians.

You talk about power. Do you know the latest news regarding that sector ? Jonathan may not be a Messiah but are you aware of his efforts? Do you know that there is now a newly convened Nigeria- USA energy and investment working group?

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2010/06/143018.htm

When Yar Adua was busy declaring a cold war on the USA , instead of cooperating with them to move Nigeria forward, he got away with it because Nigerians are only comfortable complaining while letting leaders get away with gross acts of misrule.

Jonathan , sincerely or otherwise, is making obvious efforts in the power sector. Better for folks like you to familiarise yourself with his effort and use whatever medium at your disposal to demand he delivers rather than waste time reminding us of our underdevelopment . At one stage misrule ensured that Nigerians could not avail themselves of GSM technology. Now every Nigerian has two mobile phones !!!

Electricity, and much of everything else , will go the same way when we decide to be active participant , rather than sideline critics, in the determination of our own direction and development .
Re: As South Africa Glistens, Nigeria Darkens by AloyEmeka5: 10:10am On Jun 14, 2010
knotty:

If one reconsiders the evil effect of corruption on the national psyche of Nigeria, it will be needless to compare her current sorry state to that of SA. The truth must be said, Nigeria is sick. She is ailing and needs surgery.

There was this statement made some time ago that bring all the people from Malaysia to Nigeria and transfer all Nigerians to Malaysia. Come back in 20 years, Nigeria will be what Malaysia is today and Malaysia will be what Nigeria is today.

So the problem is basically we Nigerians. We have lost value; we no longer respect hard work and honesty. Our artisans are not interested in learning the finer details of their jobs, they want to get paid. No wonder multi-nationals in the country prefer to hire Asians to do menial jobs here. We are lagging behind and terribly so.

Let’s face it, will Nigeria have built those stadia we are seeing today in SA and if yes, at what cost? Common Abuja second runway is such a monumental disgrace. Now imagine the scale of the construction project that went into hosting the World Cup.

Please, let us stop deceiving ourselves, we are lagging. We are a laughing stock, the world over. NIGERIA HAS TO WAKE UP.

Word.

[size=14pt]5 Gbosas!!!!![/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ex Judge Advocates For Christian Courts In Nigeria: Like Sharia Courts / Mend Debunks Jtf Claims Over Last Week's Attack / Igbo-made Solar Refrigerator Ready For Commercialisation – Prof Enibe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.