Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,376 members, 7,781,053 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:07 AM

Things You Should Never Share At Work - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Things You Should Never Share At Work (24564 Views)

3 Key Uses Of Microsoft Excel At Work / 6 Things You Should Never Share With Other People / Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Should Never Share At Work by postbox: 1:09pm On Jul 17, 2018
When you are close with your coworkers and have lunch together daily or hang out outside of the office, it’s easy for the lines between personal and professional to disappear. Even if you’re not good friends, it’s normal to want to chat about things other than work projects with your co-worker or co-worker(s). But there are some things that are always better left unsaid.

Read: 10 Things To Never Say To Your Boss

Below are some of them:

Your job search

Some people get so comfortable with their colleagues and even their boss that they will share their desire to move onto something else with exactly the wrong people. The thing is, no matter how much your boss likes you, if you leave, you will be replaced. Same goes for your colleagues. Don’t tell co-workers that you are looking for a new job either.

Your political opinions

Political topics can be polarizing and no matter how friendly you are with your co-workers, you should never assume that someone shares the same viewpoints as you. Political points of views are usually associated with stereotypes and are always highly emotional. As such, it should be avoided at all costs,” she adds.

Gossip about your boss or any coworkers

If you wouldn’t say it to your boss’s face, don’t say it behind your boss’s back. You may think that you are just airing your grievances with another coworker who shares your frustration about how the boss handles things, but you could be unpleasantly surprised to learn that this coworker is friendly with the boss and will happily tell everything that you shared.

Jokes about sensitive subject matters

As much time as you spend together, you may not know everything your coworkers are dealing with in their personal or professional lives. It’s advisable not to joke about a sensitive subject matter.

Complaints

Even if you’re not complaining about work, being someone who complains will give you a bad reputation in the office.  You will appear as untrustworthy because if you talk negatively about one co-worker you’ll probably talk negatively about other people, too.

Take your career to the next level

If you’re the kind of person who knows when to speak up, and when to stay quiet, you might be ready for the next step in your career. At any rate, it’s always a good habit to keep your ears and eyes open to new opportunities.

Written by: Damilola Faustino

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/things-you-should-never-share-at-work/

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by doubleportion: 1:22pm On Jul 17, 2018
nice to know! good ones!
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by rodeo0070(m): 7:31am On Jul 18, 2018
Thanks OP
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:17am On Jul 19, 2018
Never share Your Political opinion........so ON POINT

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by Pabloosas(m): 7:17am On Jul 19, 2018
Ok
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by moscobabs(m): 7:18am On Jul 19, 2018
On point except that political views, me and my colleagues fight on political opinion everyday (break time only) thank God our bosses are not Nigerians

3 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by EmekaBlue(m): 7:19am On Jul 19, 2018
Hiss
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by rummmy: 7:19am On Jul 19, 2018
And this made fp?the mode is on something else
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by Only1mi(f): 7:19am On Jul 19, 2018
About sharing your career progression plans with your boss, I think it depends on the type of boss you have. I shared my plans with my boss, we found suitable roles together and the same boss helped prep me for the interview...

8 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by optimismlaz(m): 7:19am On Jul 19, 2018
Good one
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by iamjustified(m): 7:19am On Jul 19, 2018
Ok
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by Benblaq(m): 7:20am On Jul 19, 2018
I totally disagree with OP abeg.

I think it all starts and depends on your bosses' or colleague's nature.

5 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by Opinionated: 7:21am On Jul 19, 2018
That you are making money elsewhere too.

5 Interesting Things to Do to Get a Job Abroad

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by MrRhymes101(m): 7:23am On Jul 19, 2018
What if your best friend is also your co-worker? U must complain and gossip jor... Wedding MC
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by yuh2(m): 7:23am On Jul 19, 2018
Nice piece
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by ElRapido: 7:23am On Jul 19, 2018
postbox:
When you are close with your coworkers and have lunch together daily or hang out outside of the office, it’s easy for the lines between personal and professional to disappear. Even if you’re not good friends, it’s normal to want to chat about things other than work projects with your co-worker or co-worker(s). But there are some things that are always better left unsaid.

Read: 10 Things To Never Say To Your Boss

Below are some of them:

Your job search

Some people get so comfortable with their colleagues and even their boss that they will share their desire to move onto something else with exactly the wrong people. The thing is, no matter how much your boss likes you, if you leave, you will be replaced. Same goes for your colleagues. Don’t tell co-workers that you are looking for a new job either.

Your political opinions

Political topics can be polarizing and no matter how friendly you are with your co-workers, you should never assume that someone shares the same viewpoints as you. Political points of views are usually associated with stereotypes and are always highly emotional. As such, it should be avoided at all costs,” she adds.

Gossip about your boss or any coworkers

If you wouldn’t say it to your boss’s face, don’t say it behind your boss’s back. You may think that you are just airing your grievances with another coworker who shares your frustration about how the boss handles things, but you could be unpleasantly surprised to learn that this coworker is friendly with the boss and will happily tell everything that you shared.

Jokes about sensitive subject matters

As much time as you spend together, you may not know everything your coworkers are dealing with in their personal or professional lives. It’s advisable not to joke about a sensitive subject matter.

Complaints

Even if you’re not complaining about work, being someone who complains will give you a bad reputation in the office.  You will appear as untrustworthy because if you talk negatively about one co-worker you’ll probably talk negatively about other people, too.

Take your career to the next level

If you’re the kind of person who knows when to speak up, and when to stay quiet, you might be ready for the next step in your career. At any rate, it’s always a good habit to keep your ears and eyes open to new opportunities.

Written by: Damilola Faustino

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/things-you-should-never-share-at-work/

A great topic but a weak article, this shows the writer is one lazy person. You can always do better

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by paymentvoucher: 7:23am On Jul 19, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by Yinxies(f): 7:24am On Jul 19, 2018
True.... A colleague was always complaining about our Boss and he was fired eventually

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by paymentvoucher: 7:24am On Jul 19, 2018
What if you are working in APC/PDP national secretariat?
post=69510245:
Never share Your Political opinion........so ON POINT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by thebossagain: 7:25am On Jul 19, 2018
Never u share ur extra hustle with your colleagues, they may spoil ur small hustle... Village people are like cctv
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by Nobody: 7:25am On Jul 19, 2018
moscobabs:
On point except that political views, me and my colleagues fight on political opinion everyday (break time only) thank God our bosses are not Nigerians

In fact.. In most offices this is done. So the rule honestly speaking isn't really applicable

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:26am On Jul 19, 2018
paymentvoucher:
What if you are working in APC/PDP national secretariat?
Lol, now that is different!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 19, 2018
Yinxies:
True.... A colleague was always complaining about our Boss and he was fired eventually

Wao! But your boss sha ooo..
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by yinkarh187(m): 7:28am On Jul 19, 2018
Don't share your earpiece and charger
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by israelmao(m): 7:29am On Jul 19, 2018
Workplace is gossip centre for some public civil servants.Grapevine international.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by paymentvoucher: 7:29am On Jul 19, 2018
grin grin
post=69510460:

Lol, now that is different!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by dkronicle(m): 7:29am On Jul 19, 2018
Non of my business. I just meet one slim body big asss for school. This week go end well.
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by eluquenson(m): 7:29am On Jul 19, 2018
Sincerely speaking, gossip is a natural phenomenon which is embedded in human blood.

If you must gossip, do that in your own best interest and prepare yourself well for the consequence
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by qanda: 7:29am On Jul 19, 2018
Good advice. Emotional Intelligence skills very important at the workplace. Investment in self growth and personal development initiatives very important as well. As much as you can, make your self indispensable by being the goto person and most knowledgeable person to do your job. Also, know something about other people's work as it relates to your organisation products and services.

Find useful materials on Q and A App namely:
1. Job Test Past Questions and Answers
2. Most Asked Interview Questions and Answers and suggested/sample answers
3. Entrepreneurship and Career books.
Download Q and A App from Google Playstore
Re: Things You Should Never Share At Work by Yinxies(f): 7:30am On Jul 19, 2018
nurshah:

Wao! But your boss sha ooo..

He was fired for inefficiency. He could not complete a task assigned to him on time so he was fired. At least he was not fired for complaining

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yay!! Push Cv Just Congratulated Me!!! / OANDO Staff Appeal For Support And Urgent Intervention In The Mass Sacking / You’ve A New Job & Your Salary Is 850k But Your Boss Insults You Too Much

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.