Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors (6657 Views)

LAGRIDE Operators Retrieving Vehicles Without Notice, Taking Our Jobs – Drivers / 5 Benefits Of Taking Our Bioinformatics Course / Father Christmas Shares Gifts To LEADERSHIP Newspaper Staff (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by sophsia62: 1:31pm On Jul 17, 2018
Newspaper vendors in Bauchi say they are facing hard times following a drop in sales of newspapers as a result of the advent of online publications.

‎Some of them, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday said that they were almost thrown out of job as most of them had to look for other means of sustaining themselves and their families.

One of them, Sani Ismaeel, lamented the development, saying he had been reflecting with nostalgia, the ‘good old days’ when they were in ‘real business’.

“I have been a newspaper vendor for over 15 years but vendors now have challenge of lack of sales; with the advent of online publications, people have now resorted to reading online newspapers.

‎“This has adversely affected the sales of newspapers, leaving us helpless; in those years, I make at least N30, 000 daily, now I hardly make N3000 a day.

‎“This is affecting me economically; I cannot meet up with my family obligations, which are essential,” he said.

‎ Another Vendor, Rilwanu Ubale, said prominent customers noted for buying newspapers, and who even booked for same in advance in those days, no longer do same.

‎“I can sit here the whole day without making N4000, unlike 10 years ago, when I used to make 30,000 to N40, 000 daily.

‎“My means of livelihood is at stake; I find it difficult to cater for my family now,” he lamented..

‎‎Musa Ahmed, a Vendor, told NAN that he had been selling newspapers in Bauchi for 15 years but never had it bad until the advent of online papers.

“Honestly, we have had a drop of not less than 70 percent in sales and I have no over job than this one.

‎“It is the only means for securing the basic necessities for the family; we are going through hell now and I am in a dilemma,” he said.

‎Babayo Adamu, another vendor, explained that the drop in the sales of newspaper would sooner than later sweep all of them out of job.

‎“It is not business as usual; definitely, it is never a happy moment for us; we will be here from morning till night, but make nothing significant,” he said.

‎‎Abdullahi Ahmed, a media practitioner, said that the economic situation in the country, coupled with the emergence of the new media, is making the print media shrink, both in number and circulation.

‎“At the rate at which sales of newspapers is dropping on a daily basis, we shall soon wake up to find out that newspaper vendors had gone extinct because the job no longer pays,” he said.

A newspaper reader, Bulus Kazhi, said online papers were making headway.

‎“They deploy the use of social media to circulate wider and faster, on twitter, WhatsApp, Facebook, and so on.

‎“The news is broken as it is happening, whereas, the mainstream newspapers have to wait to report it the following day, and the reader may not want to read stories that happened a day before.

‎“Some print media even quote online sources in their stories; by the time the print goes to press, more news is breaking,” he said.

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/07/online-publications-taking-our-jobs.html

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by sarrki(m): 1:32pm On Jul 17, 2018
They should sell online too grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by tstx(m): 1:48pm On Jul 17, 2018
Ehya..... Technology has done them wrong

See my signature

5 Likes

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by inoki247: 1:49pm On Jul 17, 2018
online News dey get comment section where you cannot fight... but newspaper stand go nd argue anyhow dere dey will break ur head..

24 Likes

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by stevearagorn(m): 1:49pm On Jul 17, 2018
Huh
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by flyca: 1:49pm On Jul 17, 2018
sarrki:
They should sell online too grin
I wonder o
The only way I'll buy paper newspaper again is if and only if I see "Nairaland Dailies" grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Wiseandtrue(f): 1:49pm On Jul 17, 2018
Up your game!

It's called competition and technology advancement!

I wonder which century you think we are undecided

10 Likes

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Virginkpekus(f): 1:49pm On Jul 17, 2018
Come online

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Mikeross62: 1:50pm On Jul 17, 2018
Yes,been going on since
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by MorataFC: 1:51pm On Jul 17, 2018
grin grin grin u haven't seen anything grin grin grin
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by gurunlocker: 1:51pm On Jul 17, 2018
Few people read newspaper these days, online publication have made things easier.

8 Likes

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by maximunimpact(m): 1:51pm On Jul 17, 2018
coming online is allowed, improvisation is also allowed

2 Likes

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by haconjy(m): 1:52pm On Jul 17, 2018
Go online to take your job back

4 Likes

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by sexdoll: 1:53pm On Jul 17, 2018
nairaland and co., have you seen what you guys are doing to these people?

4 Likes

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Sirpaul(m): 1:54pm On Jul 17, 2018
Oooops!.. Japppaaa
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by nabegibeg: 1:54pm On Jul 17, 2018
either you evolve or you die the choice is yours

4 Likes

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by theoldpretender(m): 1:55pm On Jul 17, 2018
Well, this is bad news also for newspapers too

Fewer people buying newspapers means.reduced income

Then you will start seeing Vanguard, Punch, Trust and others charging you 10000 naira subscription to read their online versions.

Buy a paper from your vendor today if you don't want that to happen

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Vested(m): 1:56pm On Jul 17, 2018
The power of information technology.
So many jobs are going to be lost in the near future due to this. Even the new jobs that will be created will not be adequate to cover for the job losses of the past.

2 Likes

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by iamnavy1: 1:57pm On Jul 17, 2018
Came online and publish yours too
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 17, 2018

This is not new. Most traditional media will soon go into extinction. Just look for an alternative source of income. Even those that are producing the paper you are selling are also facing greater challenges than yours.

We are just in the era of technological innovations and breakthrough

3 Likes

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by ipobarethieves: 1:57pm On Jul 17, 2018
embarassed lipsrsealed sad embarassed
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by wink2015(m): 1:58pm On Jul 17, 2018
When internet first came to Nigeria. We were all rushing to Cybercafe to check, print and send our electronic mails using the popular yahoomail.

But when Obasanjo brought gsm to Nigeria it subsequently closed down most internet cafe or cybercafe as most Nigerians can access internet services on their mobile phone while on the move, in the privacy of their apartment, offices etc.

Only few people go to cybercafe these days. It is the wind of change in this information age.

No doubt internet has made news or information easily within our reach closing down information barriers.

Unfortunately the newspaper business are seriously affected as people hardly purchase a hard copy of their preferred daily newspaper.

The activities of bloggers on the internet has even made newspaper houses look irrelevant as a sudden event is quickly shared on facebook, twitter, instalgram and other blogs or website long before newspaper houses or journalist get the information.

We are in an information age where every Nigerians including foreigners is a journalist.

With the little mobile phone that we have in our hand while on the move we are semi journalist on our part as we do not need to wait for newspaper journalist to publish report or event as we use our mobile phone to report the information to the outside world.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Alva2018: 1:58pm On Jul 17, 2018
Look at this guys oh, my friend follow the trend,

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by shitholenation: 1:58pm On Jul 17, 2018
Even in the western world that has been so attached to digital world still make sales of newspapers,the truth is that poverty in the land currently is the major reason,people are more concerned about how to survive on a daily basis so with there phone they are ok.

4 Likes

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Austema(m): 2:02pm On Jul 17, 2018
I support the motion which states that '''technology has done more harm than good''
# my opinion though
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by obembet(f): 2:03pm On Jul 17, 2018
I remember those day when I read all the paper and gave vendor #10... I go read all including sport and start argue as if they will pay me... Chai., poverty is deadly than HIV..

Thank God for change of story today... My brother, God will change ur story too

5 Likes

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by prof2015(m): 2:10pm On Jul 17, 2018
Adapt or fade away
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by TheOgaBoss: 2:12pm On Jul 17, 2018
inoki247:
online News dey get comment section where you cannot fight... but newspaper stand go nd argue anyhow dere dey will break ur head..
what about e - fighting ?
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by TheOgaBoss: 2:16pm On Jul 17, 2018
theoldpretender:
Well, this is bad news also for newspapers too

Fewer people buying newspapers means.reduced income

Then you will start seeing Vanguard, Punch, Trust and others charging you 10000 naira subscription to read their online versions.

Buy a paper from your vendor today if you don't want that to happen
that subscription model was tried by new York times and it did not work very well, except u have an exclusive news that only your publication carries people will just move to other news site. The best revenue model is advertising.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

4 Tough Calls To Make On Career Growth / Street Sweepers In Benin Stage Protest Over Non-payment Of 7 Months Salary / NUPENG Begins Strike In Warri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.