Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,223 members, 7,807,747 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:24 PM

Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture (23311 Views)

Putin’s Speech On Annexation: What Exactly Did He Say? / Photos Of Nelson Mandela's Lookalike Go Viral / South Africa Buries Nelson Mandela's Wife, Winnie Mandela Today Aimed Tears (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jul 18, 2018
Former US President Barack Obama seemed to make a dig at the current US administration during his first major speech since stepping down. But what did Barack Obama say in the 16th Nelson Mandela annual lecture?

Barack Obama spoke to an audience of 15,000 people in South Africa’s main city, Johannesburg, for the 16th Nelson Mandela annual lecture.

He was there as part of the celebrations marking 100 years since the birth of Nelson Mandela.

The former President of South Africa, whose government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalised racism, is honoured every year on July 18.

But during Obama’s lecture, he seemed to make a thinly veiled criticism at the current US administration’s use of “alternative facts”.

What did Barack Obama say in 16th Nelson Mandela annual lecture?

Obama said he could fine common ground with people who disagreed with the Paris accord on climate change if they had an argument based on fact.

Current President of the USA Donald Trump has previously said he wants to pull out of the accord, as he thinks climate change is not real.

Obama said during his keynote speech:

"You have to believe in facts. Without facts there is no basis for co-operation.

"If I say this is a podium and you say this is an elephant, it is going to be hard for us to co-operate.

"I can't find common ground if someone says climate change is not happening when almost all the world's scientists say it is. If you start saying it is an elaborate hoax, where do we start?"

Obama told the audience a moment later:

"It used to be if you caught politicians lying, they said: 'Oh man'. Now they just keep on lying."

He then went on to say striving towards equality can ensure a society can draw on the talents and energy of all its people.

The room erupted in cheers as he referred to France’s World Cup victory last week.

He said:

“Just look at the French football team. Not all of those folks looked like Gauls to me, but they are French - they are French."

Barack Obama added the world's elite were “out of touch” with the lives of the poor.

"In their business dealings, many titans of industry... are increasingly detached from any nation state" and they "live lives more and more isolated from ordinary people,” he said.

He made the case for liberal democracy, saying that he believed it offered the better future for humanity rather than populism and "strongman politics" - a political leader who rules by force.

He said:

"I believe in Nelson Mandela's vision" for the world's future, I believe that a world governed by such principals is possible.
"It can achieve more peace and more cooperation in pursuit of a common good. "I believe we have no choice but to move forward... I believe it is based on hard evidence. The fact that the world's most prosperous and successful societies happen to be those which have most closely approximated the liberal progressive ideal that we talk about.

“Things may go backwards for a while, but - ultimately - right makes might. Not the other way around."

Nelson Mandela, who died in 2013 aged 95, led the fight against white minority rule in South Africa.

He was 27 years in prison before becoming the country's first democratically elected president in 1994. Both he and Obama were the first black presidents of their countries.

https://lailasnews.com/nelson-mandela-day-obama-gives-life-changing-speech-on-annual-lecture/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jul 18, 2018
There was nothing "life changing" about the speech.
Just the same rants him and his fellow libtards always spew.
That dude is a scam!!!

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by linkszelda: 5:07pm On Jul 18, 2018
Ok
Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by tstx(m): 5:07pm On Jul 18, 2018
I heard no African gave a speech on that day...........

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by sirzent(m): 5:09pm On Jul 18, 2018
AMERICA MISSES YOU.

4 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by nabegibeg: 5:09pm On Jul 18, 2018
FlirtyKaren:
Former US President Barack Obama seemed to make a dig at the current US administration during his first major speech since stepping down. But what did Barack Obama say in the 16th Nelson Mandela annual lecture?

Barack Obama spoke to an audience of 15,000 people in South Africa’s main city, Johannesburg, for the 16th Nelson Mandela annual lecture.

He was there as part of the celebrations marking 100 years since the birth of Nelson Mandela.

The former President of South Africa, whose government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalised racism, is honoured every year on July 18.

But during Obama’s lecture, he seemed to make a thinly veiled criticism at the current US administration’s use of “alternative facts”.

What did Barack Obama say in 16th Nelson Mandela annual lecture?

Obama said he could fine common ground with people who disagreed with the Paris accord on climate change if they had an argument based on fact.

Current President of the USA Donald Trump has previously said he wants to pull out of the accord, as he thinks climate change is not real.

Obama said during his keynote speech:

"You have to believe in facts. Without facts there is no basis for co-operation.

"If I say this is a podium and you say this is an elephant, it is going to be hard for us to co-operate.

"I can't find common ground if someone says climate change is not happening when almost all the world's scientists say it is. If you start saying it is an elaborate hoax, where do we start?"

Obama told the audience a moment later:

"It used to be if you caught politicians lying, they said: 'Oh man'. Now they just keep on lying."

He then went on to say striving towards equality can ensure a society can draw on the talents and energy of all its people.

The room erupted in cheers as he referred to France’s World Cup victory last week.

He said:

“Just look at the French football team. Not all of those folks looked like Gauls to me, but they are French - they are French."

Barack Obama added the world's elite were “out of touch” with the lives of the poor.

"In their business dealings, many titans of industry... are increasingly detached from any nation state" and they "live lives more and more isolated from ordinary people,” he said.

He made the case for liberal democracy, saying that he believed it offered the better future for humanity rather than populism and "strongman politics" - a political leader who rules by force.

He said:

"I believe in Nelson Mandela's vision" for the world's future, I believe that a world governed by such principals is possible.
"It can achieve more peace and more cooperation in pursuit of a common good. "I believe we have no choice but to move forward... I believe it is based on hard evidence. The fact that the world's most prosperous and successful societies happen to be those which have most closely approximated the liberal progressive ideal that we talk about.

“Things may go backwards for a while, but - ultimately - right makes might. Not the other way around."

Nelson Mandela, who died in 2013 aged 95, led the fight against white minority rule in South Africa.

He was 27 years in prison before becoming the country's first democratically elected president in 1994. Both he and Obama were the first black presidents of their countries.

https://lailasnews.com/nelson-mandela-day-obama-gives-life-changing-speech-on-annual-lecture/

whose lives were change after the matter

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by naijaguy123456(m): 5:09pm On Jul 18, 2018
: Mandela a true hero

4 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by PUSSYBBQGRILLS(f): 5:09pm On Jul 18, 2018
Okay
Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Horus(m): 5:10pm On Jul 18, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_l4u-1vRQ

Barack Obama Delivers Speech At 16th Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture

Former President Barack Obama delivers his first major speech since leaving office, addressing inequality and other
issues at the 16th Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture in Johannesburg, South Africa.

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Benblaq(m): 5:10pm On Jul 18, 2018
TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT

This man just gave a hate speech against Trump.

11 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by coleon(m): 5:10pm On Jul 18, 2018
Honda Pilot 2004 for sale in lagos 850k (wattsap 07012623013)
Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jul 18, 2018
I watched this speech live. I also listen to experts analyse his terminologies. One part of it that caught my attention was his unbiased cryptic criticism of Buhary, The APC régime in Nigeria, and the current degrading trend in the Nigerian sociopolitical sphere.

But as we say, if you know, you know.

4 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Mrchippychappy(m): 5:11pm On Jul 18, 2018
This one that was more concerned with spreading his homosexual agenda in Africa rather than improving trade pacts with the continent.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by chinex276(m): 5:12pm On Jul 18, 2018
i am still looking for the life changing in this speech

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by chiedu7: 5:12pm On Jul 18, 2018
This Obama was very instrumental in hindering the fight against Boko Haram under GEJ!
Simply becos GEJ wont support gay marriage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL7-pG12Hyw

So Obama helped install this Tyrant Buhari!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DP3UFdUY0

obama is satanic

5 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Sirpaul(m): 5:13pm On Jul 18, 2018
Mandela lives on

3 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Baratheon: 5:13pm On Jul 18, 2018
DontBeStupid:
That dude is a scam!!!
You shouldn't be this stupid.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Gabbyking(m): 5:14pm On Jul 18, 2018
DontBeStupid:
That dude is a scam!!!
You’re calling the voted best Americans president by the Americans a scam while you’re languishing in Nigeria? No wonder you’re so dumb grin.

15 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by congorasta: 5:14pm On Jul 18, 2018
k
Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Jaymaxxy(m): 5:17pm On Jul 18, 2018
I really miss watching American presidents giving inspiring speeches. That Putin's son in white house is just too dry.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 18, 2018
DontBeStupid:
That dude is a scam!!!

the guy is a charmer, all mouth does nothing!! only simple minds fall for his charisma

The only person who benefits from Obama is Obama

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Robbin7(m): 5:18pm On Jul 18, 2018
Hmm
Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by congorasta: 5:18pm On Jul 18, 2018
ZaraGift:
Breaking news: 20 dead as atheist rebels struck an agnostic stronghold in the Norwegian city of Oslo. Eye witness report says the rebel came from in through the Finish border to attack with plaques bearing pictures of Charles Darwin and Christopher Hitchens. They kept shouting 'Hail Stenger, Hail Victor' as they stood in front of an agnostic library to burn pictures of Robert Greene Ingersoll saying he blasphemed against atheist's number one Creed, 'there's certainly no god'. Police have responded by asking the agnostics to admit there's no god for peace to reign. The agnostic Swedish president responded by promising to join forces with skeptics and freethinkers in Sweden, Northern Germany and Finland to counter atheist militancy in Northern Europe. Meanwhile, Prof Johnson Paul head of the Norwegian Agnostics has appealed to the rest of the world to join in the fight against atheist militancy but America seems uninterested in European peace as Christianity has made America a very peaceful location on earth. Saudi Arabian King has urged Europeans in general to accept Islam, the religion of peace in order to experience the kind of peace in the the Middle East. Dr Victor Powell of the Norwegian northeastern university has responded by bombing 5 schools in protest against Iran's blasphemous comments against Prof Richard Dawkins. This was reported by no media outlets because it never happened anywhere in human history. Stay tuned.
5 star trash

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by happney65: 5:18pm On Jul 18, 2018
Alternative Facts..It is being used 247 by Buhari and APC..When they talk nonesense...I show them Facts,and when you show them facts,they run away...Awon Oloshi gbogbo

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Navalsadiq(m): 5:18pm On Jul 18, 2018
You mean the same speech he gave when he became president elect and was a bunch of disappointment.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by FLYFIRE(m): 5:20pm On Jul 18, 2018
Baratheon:
You shouldn't be this stupid.
Because he expressed his opinion? I dont know who is more stupid now. YES OBAMA IS A SCUM & A SCAM

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Chekkitapp: 5:20pm On Jul 18, 2018
Do you own a car? Do you find it frustrating to process your claims? Aqilee sets you up in 2 simple steps and processes your claims within 24hrs so you can get back on the road. Sign up here http://www.aqilee.com/signup
#nigeria #ghana #motor #insurance #motorinsurance #car #claims #claim #steps
Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by brixton: 5:20pm On Jul 18, 2018
Obama should go n sit down, this dude had a chance to cement his name in African history but he used his time to chase Ghadaffi and Jonathan. Look how Trump is rewriting his history, he couldn’t sack the one man that mattered during Hillary Clinton email probe and they ended being played with with a last minute card that ruined every chance of an Hillary Clinton presidency.

His disdain for Nigeria made him not visit us during his entire presidency, meanwhile white US presidents made it a strong point to come around us during their presidency.

I do not respect Obama!!

3 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Day: Obama Gives Life Changing Speech On Annual Lecture by Jaymaxxy(m): 5:21pm On Jul 18, 2018
DontBeStupid:
That dude is a scam!!!

The only scam I know is that traitor in white house who chooses to believe Putin at the expense of his country's intelligence agency.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Biden ‘Asks Zelensky To Show Willingness For Talks With Putin’ / Yoweri Museveni: Life Cannot Stop Because We Banned Facebook / South Africa's Military Ends Hijab Ban For Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.