Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? (10443 Views)

Nigeria May Still Remain A Developing Nation Unless We / Nigeria Rated As Third Worst Football Developing Nation - Onigbinde / Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by binaflexia: 10:22am On Jun 14, 2010
Similar question might have been asked before, but I'm just too lazy to search.

I had an argument with my friends some days back in regard to the question; " IS NIGERIA A DEVELOPING NATION?"

I tried very hard to make them understand that the country was developing but at a very slow pace. All of my friends nearly eat off my head for saying that, they even warned me not to say it outside.

All the points I made was regarded as useless and unreasonable by my friends, after some time, I gave up and walked away, because there was no one to support my argument.

Now, judging by my understanding of "DEVELOPMENT" which is a movement towards an improvement, I still hold strong to the fact that Nigeria is a developing nation, seeing the minor positive changes will have undergone for the past 11yrs (Democracy, Technological development, Our temporary seat at the UN and few others).

Let's hear your opinion.

Are we developing or under-developing?

I will appreciate criticism that are constructive and helpful. Thanks
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by seanet02: 11:02am On Jun 14, 2010
Nigeria is backward nation. What points to us as a developing nation? Our illiteracy level is increasing, our industries are collapsing, our roads are going worse, our leaders are going more insane with corruption, our universities are on strike almost every year, our religious fanatism continue to increase as in jos and boko haram, our airports do witness power outage, our railway system is virtually dead. Then what tells you we are developing
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Mbeki: 11:18am On Jun 14, 2010
Nigeria is a RETROGRESSING nation. if the country continues with the resent high rate of corruption in high places, in 10 years time, there will be virtually no infrastructure to measure development.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by binaflexia: 11:23am On Jun 14, 2010
seanet02:

Nigeria is backward nation. What points to us as a developing nation? Our illiteracy level is increasing, our industries are collapsing, our roads are going worse, our leaders are going more insane with corruption, our universities are on strike almost every year, our religious fanatism continue to increase as in jos and boko haram, our airports do witness power outage, our railway system is virtually dead. Then what tells you we are developing

That was exactly what my friends saw. But what will you say about our (Democracy, Technological Advancement, Our temporary seat at the UN).

Secondly, when I was growing up, it was easy to see poverty showing on the faces of the people around me. Then you will see a family of 9 living in a room in a facility starved house.

Eating was a problem. You will often hear complain of people stealing cooking pots with food from the kitchen.

Paying a 350 naira secondary school fees was a problem, but today, the opposite is the case. Parents taking their wards to private schools and paying huge some of money every term.

I feel the long era of military dictatorship is to be blame. But since OBJ took over in 1999, I have been some changes.

No doubt, we are not where we were supposed to be, but that didn't take away the fact that there is a slight development.

To me development is development, even if it is a 1% improvement.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by RSA(m): 1:23pm On Jun 14, 2010
Definetely developing,maybe not quick enough for your liking but I bet my two cents Nigeria is one for the future.Africa is moving,and hope everybody feel that movement.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by spoOne: 1:33pm On Jun 14, 2010
If "developing" means moving forward and towards "developed", then I'll say Nigeria is an "underdeveloping" country. The peak of Nigeria's progress was in 1980, then it had all the characteristics of a developing country. . .  since then it has dwindle ever so downwards, and now has all the makings of a failed state.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 14, 2010
Do you see any development?

We seem to be  going backwards if anything.

We once had   N1 =$1

We Once had a National Airline now we do not.

We once had a basic Train network all over the country  - now we do not have as much

Our life expectancy was higher 20years ago.

We used to be relatively safe from robbery and kidnapping - now we are no longer safe.

We used to have a stronger agricultural industry now we do not.

in 1984 corruption was being seriously tackled and corrupt people were being jailed - Now it is out of control and biggest corrupt theives like OBj and IBB are walking around freely flaunting their looted wealth.

What part of Nigeria is developing ?
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Adonike(m): 1:53pm On Jun 14, 2010
Nigeria is developing. But not on a faster pace like the United States
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Adonike(m): 1:54pm On Jun 14, 2010
Nigeria is developing. But not on a faster pace like the United States
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by binaflexia: 2:03pm On Jun 14, 2010
GenBuhari:

We seem to be  going backwards if anything.

We once had   N1 =$1

We once had a basic Train network all over the country  - now we do not have as much

We used to be relatively safe from robbery and kidnapping - now we are no longer safe.

in 1984 corruption was being seriously tackled and corrupt people were being jailed - Now it is out of control and biggest corrupt theives like OBj and IBB are walking around freely flaunting their looted wealth.

Yes we are developing, slowly.

Read my reply to @seanet02 post, then start your argument from there
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Pennywise(m): 2:09pm On Jun 14, 2010
@OP
That will be putting us in the league of Brazil, China, Indonesia etc. The question is are we truly worth of that categorization?
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by binaflexia: 2:21pm On Jun 14, 2010
Pennywise:

@OP
That will be putting us in the league of Brazil, China, Indonesia etc. The question is are we truly worth of that categorization?

Maybe we should categorize them like; "FAST developing and SLOW developing nations".

But anyhow, development is development.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Gbawe: 2:42pm On Jun 14, 2010
binaflexia:

That was exactly what my friends saw. But what will you say about our (Democracy, Technological Advancement, Our temporary seat at the UN).

Secondly, when I was growing up, it was easy to see poverty showing on the faces of the people around me. Then you will see a family of 9 living in a room in a facility starved house.

Eating was a problem. You will often hear complain of people stealing cooking pots with food from the kitchen.

Paying a 350 naira secondary school fees was a problem, but today, the opposite is the case. Parents taking their wards to private schools and paying huge some of money every term.

I feel the long era of military dictatorship is to be blame. But since OBJ took over in 1999, I have been some changes.

No doubt, we are not where we were supposed to be, but that didn't take away the fact that there is a slight development.

To me development is development, even if it is a 1% improvement.

As a diasporan I can remember very well how bad Nigeria was Circa 1988 before I left. I think things are better now because I can compare Nigeria of the past to Nigeria of present. I very much appreciate that Nigerians who have seen no significant improvements in their lives from 1988 till date will argue that nothing has changed but that would not be accurate because progress has been made  . The slow pace of progress and the fact that it is still not widespread enough simply means that more efficient work must be done .

Even as I am still extremely dissapointed with Infrastructural development , I see that there has been encouraging progress in the private sector . What we must learn from this is that we need to remove the incompetent and corrupt hands of the FG from areas that can improve or deter our national progress significantly.

I have no doubt that power generation , perhaps the most important pivot required for our national development, would be much improved today if the past democratic goverments of OBJ and Yar Adua had placed selfish interests aside to involve and engage the private sector in an Energy partnership .

Yes , IMO , we are a developing nation because , strictly speaking , developmental changes have been witnessed in Nigeria under democratic rule. The next mountain to climb will be that of free and fair elections that will enable Nigerians to choose selfless and driven leaders who will develop Nigeria far quicker than we are seeing currently.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by binaflexia: 5:56pm On Jun 14, 2010
Gbawe:

As a diasporan I can remember very well how bad Nigeria was Circa 1988 before I left. I think things are better now because I can compare Nigeria of the past to Nigeria of present. I very much appreciate that Nigerians who have seen no significant improvements in their lives from 1988 till date will argue that nothing has changed but that would not be accurate because progress has been made  . The slow pace of progress and the fact that it is still not widespread enough simply means that more efficient work must be done .

Even as I am still extremely dissapointed with Infrastructural development , I see that there has been encouraging progress in the private sector . What we must learn from this is that we need to remove the incompetent and corrupt hands of the FG from areas that can improve or deter our national progress significantly.

I have no doubt that power generation , perhaps the most important pivot required for our national development, would be much improved today if the past democratic goverments of OBJ and Yar Adua had placed selfish interests aside to involve and engage the private sector in an Energy partnership .

Yes , IMO , we are a developing nation because , strictly speaking , developmental changes have been witnessed in Nigeria under democratic rule. The next mountain to climb will be that of free and fair elections that will enable Nigerians to choose selfless and driven leaders who will develop Nigeria far quicker than we are seeing currently.

Thank you and God bless you.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by SLIGHT(m): 6:23pm On Jun 14, 2010
Ur question shoulda bn Is niger area alias nigeria a nation or a geographical location?
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jun 14, 2010
Abeg what development that be?

Where is national airline we used to have?

How can falling life expectancy be development?

Is rising corruption development?

Please can someone be specific about what areas we are developing in?
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by mamagee3(f): 7:49pm On Jun 14, 2010
Nigeria a developing nation? Nah!

Nigeria is simply a wealthy nation blessed with natural resources who drastically was overwhelmed with poverty just because of the doings of a few

greedy leaders who do not give two sh*ts about the people.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Kobojunkie: 7:57pm On Jun 14, 2010
@Poster, Nigeria is still more of an UNDERDEVELOPED developing rich nation.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by AndreUweh(m): 8:23pm On Jun 14, 2010
Once a country is not developed, then it is a developing country. Underdevelopment is hardly ascribed to any country.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Kobojunkie: 8:28pm On Jun 14, 2010
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by lyfe(m): 10:27pm On Jun 14, 2010
As far as I am concerned Nigeria is an underdeveloped country, as it is not manufacturing anything, We only assemble here and we import more than we export. We consume more than we produce.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Meddler(f): 10:28pm On Jun 14, 2010
mama-gee:

Nigeria a developing nation? Nah!

Nigeria is simply a wealthy nation blessed with natural resources who drastically was overwhelmed with poverty just because of the doings of a few

greedy leaders who do not give two sh*ts about the people.

You hit the nail on the head. Nigeria is a paradox. I don't think we can call it a developing nation. We seem to be regressing if nothing more. I mean it's 2010 and we're still dealing with generating electricty c'mon now. I'm not even comparing it with America. I lived in Tanzania for 2 years and Dar-es-Salaam blew me away.

Kobojunkie:

@Poster, Nigeria is still more of an UNDERDEVELOPED developing rich nation.
I've always considered Nigeria a rich poor country.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Meddler(f): 10:29pm On Jun 14, 2010
oops double post grin
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Eddeux(m): 4:49am On Jun 15, 2010
Nigeria is a frontier market. Development not at a pace to call it a emerging market, but it has many many many aspects of it that make it possible that if corruption is put in place someday, and Nigeria gets a serious leader it can be unlocked.
Meddler:

You hit the nail on the head. Nigeria is a paradox. I don't think we can call it a developing nation. We seem to be regressing if nothing more. I mean it's 2010 and we're still dealing with generating electricty c'mon now. I'm not even comparing it with America. I lived in Tanzania for 2 years and Dar-es-Salaam blew me away.
this would be the ultimate embarassment, having other African countries leapfrog the 'giant' of Africa in development. But oh well, at least some countries are taking development seriously.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Beaf: 4:56am On Jun 15, 2010
GenBuhari:

We seem to be going backwards if anything.

We once had N1 =$1

We once had a basic Train network all over the country - now we do not have as much

Kidnapping and gross embezzlement. embarassed
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Nobody: 4:57am On Jun 15, 2010
@post

Ha! Dont make me laugh!
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Beaf: 5:01am On Jun 15, 2010
The only good thing going for us, is that we have so much human and mineral potential, that coupled with a huge population; so it should take only a little common sense, planning and elbow grease to set us on the right path. And I can bet you, the moment Nigeria starts developing, it will be an avalanche of competiveness and urgency, as each citizen takes pride in the country and what they too can add for the glory of their family name.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by ziga: 5:09am On Jun 15, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Once a country is not developed, then it is a developing country. Underdevelopment is hardly ascribed to any country.

Very true.

Even the terminology developing country in losing popularity.

These days, low income, middle income, high income countries etc are used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developing_country

So, Nigeria will be classed as a developing country.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Beaf: 5:15am On Jun 15, 2010
Andre Uweh:

ziga:

Very true.

Even the terminology developing country in losing popularity.

These days, low income, middle income, high income countries etc are used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developing_country

So, Nigeria will be classed as a developing country.

No!
Is Somalia a developing country?
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by Eddeux(m): 6:57am On Jun 15, 2010
Beaf:

No!
Is Somalia a developing country?
If Somalia has foreign businessmen coming in willing to take measures to invest in the country then yes I would say it's developing! Just not developing by China, India, or Nigeria standards.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by binaflexia: 5:47pm On Jun 16, 2010
So una see the thread and waka pass am.

Make una give una opinion na, Aba!
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? by DaLover(m): 6:39pm On Jun 16, 2010
I think somalia and nigeria are equal in terms of all indices of underdevelopment,
*war torn roads
*war ravaged public utility system
*regular outbreaks of ethnic strive
*similar gross income per capita
*similar educatioal level
*militant crisis
*crime rate
*technology
*industry
*telecoms industry
*curruption
*election rigging
*Military brutality

Some areas where nigeria is better
*flashy cars
*football (can be contested)
*movie industry
*importation of anything foriegn
*Comedy industry
*Owambe party industry
*music industry
*religious worship

Ol boy to me both countries, guys don't let the fact that
Our circle of friends r up and doing, there is still
Massive poverty in the land

(1) (2) (Reply)

South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? / We Never Congratulated David Mark – APC / Video Of President Buhari Visit To Benue Over The Recent Killings In The State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.