Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,383 members, 7,781,089 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:42 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond (4413 Views)

Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer / French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn / Securities And Exchange Commission (SEC) Approves Green Bond (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by akelicious(m): 6:50am On Jul 20, 2018
The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) will today list the FGN N10.69 billion Green Bond on the Exchange, as part of efforts to make Nigeria one of the favoured investment destinations in Africa.

Nigeria became the first the first nation to issue a climate bonds certified sovereign green bond, the first African nation to issue a sovereign green bond and the fourth nation in the world to issue after Poland, France and Fiji.

Green bonds are fixed income, liquid financial instruments used to raise funds dedicated to climate mitigation, adaptation and other environment-friendly projects. This provides investors with an attractive investment proposition and an opportunity to support environmentally and socially sound projects.

Market analysts had said considering that Nigeria derives more than 90 per cent of its export income from crude oil, the push for green bonds to support initiatives aimed at moderating climate change by investing in solar plants, hydro power and agriculture is particularly noteworthy.

Former Minister of Environment and now Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations, Ms. Amina Mohammed had last year commended NSE for conceptualising the idea of the green bond.

“The NSE sowed the seeds, they talked to me about sustainability principles and what business could do. We thought ‘hey what about green bonds’ – Nigeria was looking for an instrument that worked with its ‘Intended Nationally Determined Contribution’ and its national strategy to bring jobs and green infrastructure investment. Green Bonds provides a new product with new credentials that investors could buy into, which has gone through a vigorous process to ensure transparency, accountability in use of funds and is environmental friendly,” she said.

According to market operators, sovereign green bond represents a new stage in the development of the Nigerian capital markets and opens the way for further corporate issuance and international investment. The NSE is playing a key role in helping to develop this enormous opportunity for Nigeria while fulfilling one of its key objectives as a member of the UN Sustainable Stock Exchange Initiative.

Market operators have called on government to implement tax incentives to issuers, while grant schemes should also be instituted to address some of the costs of issuing bonds for corporates including independent reviews and project assessment and evaluation.

Meanwhile, the stock market continued with its losing streak with the NSE All-Share Index depreciating further by 0.76 to close at 36,470.05.

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/07/nigerian-stock-exchange-to-list-fgn.html

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Jocknom(m): 7:12am On Jul 20, 2018
Ok
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:12am On Jul 20, 2018
According to market operators, sovereign green bond represents a new stage in the development of the Nigerian capital markets and opens the way for further corporate issuance and international investment

Sounds good.
Learning more about that

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 20, 2018
You didn’t tell us all the details na.

UNITS OF SALE:
N1,000.00 per unit subject to a minimum Subscription of N10,000,000.00 and in multiples of N1,000,000.00 thereafter.
angry angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Aboguede(m): 7:13am On Jul 20, 2018
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Gadaffi9ja(m): 7:16am On Jul 20, 2018
We shall get there gradually.

#Naija will be great

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by mozland12(m): 7:19am On Jul 20, 2018
Cool
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by KingRex1(m): 7:27am On Jul 20, 2018
Smart move, although it sounds like a ploy to resuscitate the crashing stock market.
Can Nigeria really keep to the green sustainability idea? Many attempts have been made and aided by international organisations but what are the results? We'll see if the proceeds from the bond sales is effectively used

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Genea(f): 7:28am On Jul 20, 2018
Great idea
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Redoil: 7:32am On Jul 20, 2018
Genea:
Great idea

Nigerian govt are thieves why cant they tell us the interest rate in % they always run to the press so as to impress people like you

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by chymes0359(m): 7:46am On Jul 20, 2018
Another debt incurs

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by AngryNigerian(m): 7:57am On Jul 20, 2018
I've even forgotten what I even wanted to say....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by ezhi(m): 8:01am On Jul 20, 2018
Please can some one make this gramma more understand for me?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Nobody: 8:04am On Jul 20, 2018
Let me observe this post...
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by AreaFada2: 8:10am On Jul 20, 2018
4601CE:
You didn’t tell us all the details na.

UNITS OF SALE:
N1,000.00 per unit subject to a minimum Subscription of N10,000,000.00 and in multiples of N1,000,000.00 thereafter.
angry angry

Out of 200,000,000 Nigerians, how many have N10,000,000 free cash to invest? grin cheesy

It appears nothing they do is meant for average honest people. Not even 500k or N1m minimum sub to encourage average people to participate.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Chukwuka16: 8:19am On Jul 20, 2018
Lord have mercy.

This is a trending issue globally especially with concerns about such green bonds to exacerbate poverty and other injustices and yet no sensible contribution so far.

I was expecting to see comments here discussing the implications of such a bond for Nigeria vis-a-vis other initiatives like the clean development mechanism, power purchase agreements etc. and their relevance to Nigeria considering our inconsequential contribution to GHG emissions, poor power infrastructure, potential growth and the need for us to take advantage of the peaking period of our proposed strategy to mitigate emissions.

Tomorrow the youths will say our leaders are slow pokes but can't make any meaningful contribution here. If it's a tribal related post or some random romance story or a match or some other mundane story without far reaching significance, we would be counting pages.

Nonsense.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Chukwuka16: 8:25am On Jul 20, 2018
post=69540080:
According to market operators, sovereign green bond represents a new stage in the development of the Nigerian capital markets and opens the way for further corporate issuance and international investment

Sounds good.
Learning more about that

Your post makes no sense. Perhaps it would have been a lot better if you spent the morning researching about green bonds and other variations that are being used to attract funding for green projects before spewing rubbish all in the name of making a post.

Can your brain conceptualise or even appreciate the essence of the green bond? Have you any idea how this measure differs from CDM, PPA's and other means of attracting green investments into the power sector?

Does the size of the initial offer make sense considering the forex equivalent? What kind of savings in terms of GHG reductions (proven) can be gotten from such funds? What about local energy efficiency initiatives from companies, can they also attract benefits from the bond?

A Nigeria with your ilks is doomed for failure.

Rubbish.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Chukwuka16: 8:30am On Jul 20, 2018
Genea:
Great idea

Your comment says a lot about the reasoning of the typical Nigerian youth. Funny enough tomorrow we would be the first to condemn our leaders for lacking the brains to think.

Ma'am can you relate renewable energy certificates with the green bonds?

Before making such comments on an important topic as this, it is better you do your research well than justhe saying something.

No wonder the MODs now push irrelevant topics to front page since we can't comment intelligently anymore on important topics.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Horus(m): 8:32am On Jul 20, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jr3F4Q19m0

Nigeria plans to list N10.69bn Green Bond on NSE

Nigeria’s Debt Management Office plans to list the country’s 10.69 billion naira Sovereign Green Bond on the Nigerian Stock Exchange
later this week. Ahead of the listing, Femi Onifade, Head, Secondary Market at the Nigerian Stock Exchange discuss this development.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Genea(f): 8:32am On Jul 20, 2018
Chukwuka16:

Your comment says a lot about the reasoning of the typical Nigerian youth. Funny enough tomorrow we would be the first to condemn our leaders for lacking the brains to think.

Ma'am can you relate renewable energy certificates with the green bonds?

Before making such comments on an important topic as this, it is better you do your research well than justhe saying something.

No wonder the MODs now push irrelevant topics to front page since we can't comment intelligently anymore on important topics.
in other words you are calling me stupid?? I wonder what happened to just stating Your Own opinion and leaving me alone
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Chukwuka16: 8:35am On Jul 20, 2018
Genea:
in other words you are calling me stupid?? I wonder what happened to just stating Your Own opinion and leaving me alone

No ma'am don't be quick to imply meanings. If I didn't have respect for you I'd have scrolled by. Imagine you being our minister of environment tomorrow like Amina, I'd like to see you make more grounded statements than this.

Don't forget that the world goes through NL, seeing you as a female make excellent comments puts us as Nigerians in good light and also demands greater responsibility from subsequent posters.

Good morning.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Genea(f): 8:36am On Jul 20, 2018
Chukwuka16:

No ma'am don't be quick to imply meanings. If I didn't have respect for you I'd have scrolled by. Imagine you being our minister of environment tomorrow like Amina, I'd like to see you make more grounded statements than this.

Don't forget that the world goes through NL, seeing you as a female make excellent comments puts us as Nigerians in good light and also demands greater responsibility from subsequent posters.

Good morning.
OKay then, explain to me why this is a bad movement for the country, I'm willing to learn
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Chukwuka16: 8:52am On Jul 20, 2018
Genea:
OKay then, explain to me why this is a bad movement for the country, I'm willing to learn

I'm down with flu but let me post this.

I'm not against the idea. I was only unhappy that the thread which is quite important and portends grave consequences for Nigeria has been unable to attract any good contributions so far.

I was thinking I would see pages of different comments in support or against the idea from timing to supporting framework to size etc.

Alas I'm only seeing one line statements. Do you know that such measure if properly managed would enable Nigeria correct some disadvantages we get through the fraudulent CDM (clean development mechanism)? Also, such measures if well implemented can attract significant investment in clean energy (so called power purchase agreement)? Despite my angst with PPAs especially with their possibility to germinate poverty and injustice, if properly imemented especially for off grid electrification, we could correct some of its externalities since such off grid energisation wouldnt make use of the conventional grid (hence no need for carbon tax or other measures to green the grid)

Think of how far companies will go to implement energy efficiency projects if the RECs earned can be used to obtain signification tax rebates (like the innovation tax for select companies).

Having such a robust discussion here from varying angles and perspectives and disciplines would not only educate a lot of folks but further stimulate interest and show Nigerians globally as really intelligent folks. We can even make fantastic recommendations to NSE and the authorities concerned on how such can be improved.

My 2 cents though.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Genea(f): 9:02am On Jul 20, 2018
Chukwuka16:

I'm down with flu but let me post this.

I'm not against the idea. I was only unhappy that the thread which is quite important and portends grave consequences for Nigeria has been unable to attract any good contributions so far.

I was thinking I would see pages of different comments in support or against the idea from timing to supporting framework to size etc.

Alas I'm only seeing one line statements. Do you know that such measure if properly managed would enable Nigeria correct some disadvantages we get through the fraudulent CDM (clean development mechanism)? Also, such measures if well implemented can attract significant investment in clean energy (so called power purchase agreement)? Despite my angst with PPAs especially with their possibility to germinate poverty and injustice, if properly imemented especially for off grid electrification, we could correct some of its externalities since such off grid energisation wouldnt make use of the conventional grid (hence no need for carbon tax or other measures to green the grid)

Think of how far companies will go to implement energy efficiency projects if the RECs earned can be used to obtain signification tax rebates (like the innovation tax for select companies).

Having such a robust discussion here from varying angles and perspectives and disciplines would not only educate a lot of folks but further stimulate interest and show Nigerians globally as really intelligent folks. We can even make fantastic recommendations to NSE and the authorities concerned on how such can be improved.

My 2 cents though.
sorry bout your health. I would try and read up more on the points you raised
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by MIKOLOWISKA: 9:06am On Jul 20, 2018
AreaFada2:

Out of 200,000,000 Nigerians, how many have N10,000,000 free cash to invest? grin cheesy

It appears nothing they do is meant for average honest people. Not even 500k or N1m minimum sub to encourage average people to participate.
Shebi 10,000,000 have 1 Naira?
Let them start with that
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by MIKOLOWISKA: 9:08am On Jul 20, 2018
AreaFada2:

will you pay the people that have to register 10 million investors for the paper and time or is it easier to register one person with ten
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by AreaFada2: 9:08am On Jul 20, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
Shebi 10,000,000 have 1 Naira?
Let them start with that

You did not read a response to original post that was answered earlier on the thread.

N10m worth of subscription is the minimum.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by seguno2: 9:12am On Jul 20, 2018
post=69540080:

Sounds good.
Learning more about that

Olodo Buhari and his Oluwole certificate finance minister are plunging us into debts as they continue to steal, loot and rob our commonwealth yet you say that it sounds good?
Do you have ear problem also like your Buhari?
Or what do you have
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by AreaFada2: 9:25am On Jul 20, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
will you pay the people that have to register 10 million investors for the paper and time or is it easier to register one person with ten

Still same thing. With modern electronic system, why should registering take a long time? The masses are just not factored in. Simple.

I used to buy shares for as low as $1000 dollars equivalent in a Western country 20 years ago. At flotation of big companies. Minimum shares were not set so high. So that individuals, and not just institutional visitors could take part. At times the shares were so oversubscribed that you were only allocated half your subscription: around $500 at times, at times $1,500 out of $3000 subscription. It encouraged one to cultivate the habit of investing even when one didn't have much money to spare then.

The govt of a country where 18k is minimum wage should work even harder to encourage average people to invest than private companies.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Nobody: 9:26am On Jul 20, 2018
Redoil:

Nigerian govt are thieves why cant they tell us the interest rate in % they always run to the press so as to impress people like you
The rate was stated .
That’s op’s fault not not putting it on his post

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by Nobody: 9:35am On Jul 20, 2018
AreaFada2:

I would have said the same .lol
But there are other ones.
FGN Bond minimum is N10,000 and the FGN Savings bond is N5000 minimum,N50 million maximum.
You may want to check for more details
[url]dmo.gov.ng[/url]

I’m just kinda surprised people actually are ignoring the thread .even when it’s on front page . Lol
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond by MIKOLOWISKA: 9:39am On Jul 20, 2018
Chukwuka16:

Your post makes no sense. Perhaps it would have been a lot better if you spent the morning researching about green bonds and other variations that are being used to attract funding for green projects before spewing rubbish all in the name of making a post.

Can your brain conceptualise or even appreciate the essence of the green bond? Have you any idea how this measure differs from CDM, PPA's and other means of attracting green investments into the power sector?

Does the size of the initial offer make sense considering the forex equivalent? What kind of savings in terms of GHG reductions (proven) can be gotten from such funds? What about local energy efficiency initiatives from companies, can they also attract benefits from the bond?

A Nigeria with your ilks is doomed for failure.

Rubbish.
All this alphabet salad and yet you're an economic refugee?

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Best Facebook Software And Tricks For Marketing / How Can I Get The Sort Code For First Bank Branches In Delta State / (NOW AVAILABLE ) Learn mini-importation and how to reduce its cost(alipay also)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.