Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,825 members, 7,802,638 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:01 PM

Can A Deed Of Assignment Have The Names Of More Than One Assignees? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Can A Deed Of Assignment Have The Names Of More Than One Assignees? (5131 Views)

Cc / C/o, Deed Of Assignment, Government Consent, Excised, Gazetted Document Availabl / Lawyer Pls Help: Deed Of Lease And Deed Of Assignment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Deed Of Assignment Have The Names Of More Than One Assignees? by capsogiga(m): 12:12pm On Jun 15, 2010
MY TWIN SISTERS RECENTLY BOUGHT A PLOT OF LAND AT OKUN AJAH WITH THE DEED OF ASSIGNMENT SHOWING THEIR TWO NAMES AS JOINT ASSIGNEES-BUT WITH THE NAME OF ONE ASSIGNOR. IS THIS IN ORDER? CAN THE NAME OF TWO OR MORE PEOPLE BE ON A DEED OF ASSINMENT AS ASSIGNEES? WHAT EFFECT WILL THIS HAVE ON Cof O? EXPERT IN THE HOUSE SHOULD KINDLY COMMENT. THANKS
Re: Can A Deed Of Assignment Have The Names Of More Than One Assignees? by capsogiga(m): 10:14am On Jun 16, 2010
cool
Re: Can A Deed Of Assignment Have The Names Of More Than One Assignees? by james1(m): 7:55pm On Jun 16, 2010
Hi.
I believe that document is in order,am not a lawyer but I have seen such deeds,2 precisely and they were prepared by seasoned property lawyers;what is important in law is been recognised as such and such,duly agree upon and signed.as for the implication on gettng C of O,ask your property lawyer.
Re: Can A Deed Of Assignment Have The Names Of More Than One Assignees? by lawyer(m): 10:55pm On Jun 16, 2010
How can you have the name of one Assignor in Okun Ajah when Okun Ajah has a global c/o and so many families with partioned lands with both family heads and secretaries?

I have done more than 20 deed of assignments in Okun Ajah and i can authoritatively tell you that if you have only one Assignor that signed it , you have just signed an illegal document and there is no way on this God given earth that Alausa will process your Governor's consent with that one Assignor.

Best Advice is for you to take it back to the seller to take you back to the community or family you bought it from to sign it plus the form 1c but in return for not doing the right thing correctly, you will have to shell out between N100,000 to N150,000 before your new deed of assignment is signed. I should know because i am deeply entrenched in the buying and selling politics of Okun Ajah and its environs!

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Can A Deed Of Assignment Have The Names Of More Than One Assignees? by capsogiga(m): 9:00am On Jun 18, 2010
THANK YOU VERY MUCH LAWYER. MAY THE GOOD LORD REWARD U ABUNDANTLY. WELL ACCORDING TO THE DEED OF ASSIGNMENT,THE SAID PLOT WAS TIME IMMEMORIAL OWNED,CONTROLLED AND POSSESSED BY CHIEF AGORO AWOFIYE UNDER NATIVE LAW AND CUSTOM WHO MIGRATED FROM ISALE-EKO TO OKUN AJAH AND EXERCISED THEREON MAXIMUM ACTS OWNERSHIP NEC VI,NEC PRECARIO, THE SAID CHIEF AGORO AWOFIYE BEGOT ISIYEMI AGORO, WHO BEGOT, UNTIL IT WAS TRANSFERED TO THE SINGLE ASSIGNOR. THE LAWYER MY SISTERS USED ALSO SAID IT IS POSSIBLE FOR OKUN AJAH TO HAVE A SINGLE ASSIGNOR IF IT HAS BEEN VALIDLY TRANSFERED. AWAITING YOUR COMMENTS LAWYER. THANKS AND HAVE A NICE DAY.
Re: Can A Deed Of Assignment Have The Names Of More Than One Assignees? by lawyer(m): 8:18pm On Jun 18, 2010
The land use act of 1978 gives the governor the control of all the lands under his domain and before you can carry out any transaction you must have the consent of the governor. I understand where your sisters are coming from being an old deed of assignment used between the 80s to the late 90s but since the era of Tinubu, Lands in the lekki ajah environs have been either given government gazettes or global c/os and before you can effectively transfer a document from point a to point be, you have to seek the consent of the governor and they will only do so with either a global c/o or government gazette before they process your papers.

If the land has not being developed, it will be difficult for you to get an approved building plan without your governor's process filing number and by taking that deed of assignment to Alausa, the officers there will tell you to go and bring the Okun ajah c/o to back up your claims despite the global c/o only being issued to the okun ajah community in 2006. They will query you why you didnt perfect your governor's consent way back when that solo Assignor signed the deed and would probably make life a little difficult for you and tell you to go and get the consent of the okun ajah families before they process your documents. Its just another Alausa bottle neck so you should be prepared for it.

The last alternative is for you to register the deed of assignment as a stand alone instrument of transfer, pay the stamp duty and it will be treated as an old deed of assignment that has been registered and probably back dated to reflect the years for your document to be truely legal in Alausa.

What ever way and form you choose, goodluck to you and enjoy the beautiful Okun ajah breeze and beaches

Cheers
Re: Can A Deed Of Assignment Have The Names Of More Than One Assignees? by Remii(m): 9:08am On Jun 29, 2010
Bros, please help clarify this:

An estate developer just told me that Lagos State charges 15% of property value for title perfections and 5% VAT, so for a property of N40m LASG would collect additional N8m, please explain this as much as you can.
Re: Can A Deed Of Assignment Have The Names Of More Than One Assignees? by yemiyemi: 9:34am On Jun 30, 2010
@ Remi, Pls be specific what title document do u want to perfect? .
Generally, to the best of my knowledge i have never heard or known any title document perfection, being C of O, Governor's conscent, survey etc. that LASG requires you to pay 15% of the property value.
In all title document i have done for people there was never a fee payed into LASG that was termed 'VAT or 15% property worth'
Maybe lawyer can help to shed more light.

Cheers.
Re: Can A Deed Of Assignment Have The Names Of More Than One Assignees? by manpeople(m): 2:02pm On Jul 01, 2010
I am not a lawyer but it is imperative that the families sign off the Deed of Assignment. Even if the land is alloted to a single member of the family. It is important that the family members attest to this which should also reflect in the recital.

Some of the plots in the picture are still available.

(1) (Reply)

PROPERTIES AVAILABLE FOR LET IN SURULERE RELOADED 4th August / Do You Have 2 Generators And PHCN As Power Sources? Get An Automatic Changeover! / Block Of 2 Bedroom 9 Flats Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.