Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's (2168 Views)

British Empire Should Have Colonize Europe Not Africa / World Cup: South Africa Babes Bare It All / South Africa: World Bank To Finance Coal-fired Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by Mpele(m): 7:25am On Jun 17, 2010
I don't understand as to why they keep on saying this is Africa's world cup as if Africa is one thing! Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Mali, Chad etc have nothing to do with this world cup. In fact African countries voted for Morocco, so why call this an African world cup.
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by philip0906(m): 10:52am On Jun 17, 2010
@Mpele or whatever ucall urself,shut up!!! angry or r u suffering 4rm the after shock of yesterday's defeat? cheesy grin tongue
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by Ikomi(m): 11:29am On Jun 17, 2010
@Mpele cheesy

Looks like you've made quiet a lot of enemies in here, even when you’re right you’re attacked. I wonder myself, grouping Africa together as if it were a nation.

Its South Africa's world cup, hosted in the continent of Africa. Its just a way the Europeans has mastered in belittling Africa. When the world cup was hosted in Germany no one said its Europe's world cup, they said it’s Germany. Now England is bidding to host they are not even saying its British world Cup it’s been said its England's world cup.

Invariably what they are telling us is that it would take the collective effort of the whole Africa to host the world cup. lol cheesy
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by RSA(m): 12:01pm On Jun 17, 2010
^^I fully agree with you,this means countries like Nigeria,Egypt,Morocco cannot bid to host anytime soon since they're 'hosting' the tournament this year.

Africa is a continent,we have different countries who runs their countries differently and people who have different beliefs and cultures.We all look black but we're definetly not the same people and should not be grouped together.
So I aggree with the poster,there is nothing called African world cup,because Africa is not a country.
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by ElRazur: 1:49pm On Jun 17, 2010
Mpele:

I don't understand as to why they keep on saying this is Africa's world cup as if Africa is one thing! Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Mali, Chad etc have nothing to do with this world cup. In fact African countries voted for Morocco, so why call this an African world cup.

I don't understand why people are making fuss over something so minor. undecided

Calling it Africa's world cup is nothing but a "symbolic statement". I.e. it is the first world cup in the continent of Africa.

Also the referral to it as Africa's is also another symbolic phrase of how there is a "brotherhood view" amongst Africans. You know, just the same way "Muslims" sees each other as "brothers".

In years to come, if more and more world cup is hosted in Africa, then the use of the symbolic "Africa's world cup" will probably cease or be of little use.

It is no big deal in my opinion. It is South Africa's tournament, but as it stand, it takes nothing away from SA, if it is called Africa's world cup. smiley
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by nopuqeater: 11:44pm On Jun 18, 2010
@ElRazur: « #4 on: Yesterday at 01:49:57 PM »
Quote from: Mpele on Yesterday at 07:25:03 AM
ElRazur is a stubborn man. Regardless of the reality, he will keep to what he believes in. He and his cohorts forgets that the funding, etc and all the logistics are borne solely by South Africa. But am happy that you shot yourself in the foot, giving me enough monitions to riddle your position by the below.

@Mpele: dont mind these non South Africans, laying claims to what truly is south africans, alone. They cant let you guys enjoy what is yours. I guess they hate being a bystanding group members.

I don't understand why people are making fuss over something so minor.
Wish ELRazur can appy the same principle to himself.

Calling it Africa's world cup is nothing but a "symbolic statement". I.e. it is the first world cup in the continent of Africa.
The symbolism is lost on truth and reality of the issue. Symbolism, is not loaded on the back of a person in a large group. England's colonnialism was not symbolism of european colonnialism. Everyone, group is responsible for their own actions.

Also the referral to it as Africa's is also another symbolic phrase of how there is a "brotherhood view" amongst Africans.
Wrong. It is when the going is good that africans call themselves brothers. Exactly what you are doing now on the "symbolism". I bet if it is a flop, it will be S.A. issues and responsibilities, alone.

You know, just the same way "Muslims" sees each other as "brothers".
Ha. Allahu Akbar. This is where you begin to get chewed up by me. At least the Muslims are known by you of something more humane and communially oriented than anyone group.

In years to come, if more and more world cup is hosted in Africa, then the use of the symbolic "Africa's world cup" will probably cease or be of little use.
So when it ceases to exist and becomes unfashionable, was the term used for the SA hosting becomes untrue, if you look back to 2010? Of course no, since it is okay now, but after many world cups in africa, it is not a novelty, as that of the SA, being the first. I hope you will now take it back to what was ok in a community in over 1400 plus years ago, which you are now complaining about today,while you are not from the culture or time. I remeber a child born to africans in america who said of his father cracking chicken bones as daddy eating dog food. Or when he is eating amala, he says daddy is eating mud. Wrong classification on a matter.

It is no big deal in my opinion.
You can also agree that there is possibility that your opinion{s} can be absolutely wrong in many issue that you may count yourself as pundit? It is a big deal when issue is wrongly labelled.

It is South Africa's tournament, but as it stand,
There is no bu about it. It is truly SA event, affair. They build it, they paid for it. Period.

it takes nothing away from SA, if it is called Africa's world cup.
Except that lies take away from truth. Now tell me what does other africa has to do with it, except that SA is on the continent of Africa? Is a Nigerian passport holder occupying the head of security details, over SA credentialed citizen? You see, lies can be passed on to unsuspecting information seeker, and mask the truth, reality which the liars are keeping away, hiding it preventing it from coming out to the open.
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by nopuqeater: 1:01am On Jun 19, 2010
Was south african apartheid era and its sufferings also african apartheid and sufferings from it? In a matter of symbolism? No. So south Africa owns her World Cup hosying, recognitions and success, hopefully.
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by Kobojunkie: 1:28am On Jun 19, 2010
Ikomi:

Its South Africa's world cup, hosted in the continent of Africa. Its just a way the Europeans has mastered in belittling Africa. When the world cup was hosted in Germany no one said its Europe's world cup, they said it’s Germany. Now England is bidding to host they are not even saying its British world Cup it’s been said its England's world cup.

That is a silly argument!! Where exactly has it been labelled Africa's world cup more if not in Africa itself. Most every where else, it has been advertized as[size=13pt] WORLD CUP - SOUTH AFRICA 2010[/size] , and not [size=13pt]WORLD CUP - AFRICA 2010[/size].

It has been Africans mostly claiming it for AFRICA and not just South Africa.There is NO need to BE DISHONEST IN THIS!
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by Kgdavid(m): 2:11am On Jun 19, 2010
its the first time the world cup has come to Africa, as simple as that. this is something that should draw all africans together rather than separate us based on some useless sentiment of "its mine not yours".
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by nopuqeater: 2:26am On Jun 19, 2010
I agree with sisi kobojunkie.
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by Ikomi(m): 12:14pm On Jun 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

That is a silly argument!! Where exactly has it been labelled Africa's world cup more if not in Africa itself. Most every where else, it has been advertized as WORLD CUP - SOUTH AFRICA 2010, and not WORLD CUP - AFRICA 2010.

It has been Africans mostly claiming it for AFRICA and not just South Africa.There is NO need to BE DISHONEST IN THIS!

Mpele:

When did labelled mean saying, the poster is not complaining about the label he is complaining about how its been talked about in the media. Kobo[b]junkie[/b]. The bold part of your name says it all doesn't it?
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by tpiah: 4:09pm On Jun 19, 2010
there's north africa and there's south africa.

the main reason why these regions do not go by the general tag "africa" with the attending mindset, is because of the presence of a huge non-black political majority who are native to such places.

fact.

in any case, africa is almost the only continent on earth which is grouped as a single monolithic demographic entity.
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by Ikomi(m): 5:17pm On Jun 19, 2010
tpiah:

the main reason why these regions do not go by the general tag "africa" with the attending mindset, is because of the presence of a huge non-black political majority who are native to such places.

fact.

in any case, africa is almost the only continent on earth which is grouped as a single monolithic demographic entity.

I thought I should say hello in a civilised manner.  smiley

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO0UQNBr2y0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="false"[/flash]

You do same in the spirit of the world cup still.  smiley
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by MandingoII(m): 8:32pm On Jun 19, 2010
Technically, since the World is ignorant about Africa in general, this is all of Africas world cup.
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by nopuqeater: 9:25pm On Jun 19, 2010
and the ignorant african follow the footsteps of the ignorant world, even when the africans themselves should know better.

the worl will say, jamaica, england and africa. do we africans have to be ignorant like the people who use the wrong terminology to calibrate us

south africa is hosting world cup. nigeria hosted festac in1977. nigeria is not the host of world cup today, just as S A was not the host of 2 Festac in 1977.

in 2010, there is no african world cup, but S A world cup.
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by morpheus24: 5:59pm On Jun 22, 2010
tpiah:

fact.

I am agreeing with Tpiah on this one. Mpele is only saying this because he is a colored B.A.S.T.A.R.D from SA
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by Kobojunkie: 8:03pm On Jun 22, 2010
MandingoII:

Technically, since the World is ignorant about Africa in general, this is all of Africas world cup.

What world is technically ignorant about Africa? The world does not freaking want to RILE you all up is more like it. If anything the world knows for a fact that South Africa is not AFRICA. It is kind of hard to confuse South Africa with the rest of Africa.

If you are unwilling to make that separation, then boldly accept that is ignorance on your own part. But trying to paint the world black in this is a lame move. I have yet to read anywhere but in AFRICAN MEDIA AND FROM AFRICANS that this is for all of Africa - African coaches, officials going around claiming this is for Africa.

Ikomi:

When did labelled mean saying, the poster is not complaining about the label he is complaining about how its been talked about in the media. Kobo[b]junkie[/b]. The bold part of your name says it all doesn't it?

Labeled . . . Saying . . . it is the same thing. The Media is NOT responsible for the views of some of our African brothers and Sisters who have chosen to claim this a "VICTORY" for Africa. So, again, no need to be DISHONEST in this. I have yet to see this advertised anywhere by the media as an AFRICAN thing. I, however, have seen interviews of Africans from Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria etc all somehow claiming this to be for ALL OF AFRICA. Make the distinction please.

There is really no need to continue to try to THROW the media or west under the bus to make some moot point even in this.

By the way, attacking my moniker only helps shoot down your argument the more. If you are confident enough, you would not need to take such cheap shots at me, you do know that, right?
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by morpheus24: 9:59pm On Jun 22, 2010
Its strange. When speaking about football, the South americans are grouped up as an entity with practically all their members topping the group matches yet they are different countries with different identities.

It is only Africans that will think that an event being hosted on their "continent" should be wholly seperated as a south African event.

For some peoples edification. South Africa is part of Africa, geographically, biologically and culturally in every shape, way and form.
Re: This Is Not Africa's World Cup, But South Africa's by Ikomi(m): 2:15am On Jun 24, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Labeled . . . Saying . . . it is the same thing. The Media is NOT responsible for the views of some of our African brothers and Sisters who have chosen to claim this a "VICTORY" for Africa. So, again, no need to be DISHONEST in this. I have yet to see this advertised anywhere by the media as an AFRICAN thing. I, however, have seen interviews of Africans from Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria etc all somehow claiming this to be for ALL OF AFRICA. Make the distinction please.

There is really no need to continue to try to THROW the media or west under the bus to make some moot point even in this.

By the way, attacking my moniker only helps shoot down your argument the more. If you are confident enough, you would not need to take such cheap shots at me, you do know that, right?

Dead body get accident yeeepa

Confusion breaki bone ooohhh yeeepa.

Oboy you no deserve answer.

(1) (Reply)

Port Arthur Massacre, The Shooting Spree That Changed Australia Gun Laws(Photos) / USA Vs Russia:who Will Win? / The Tale Of The Ruthless Neo Nazi AZOV BATTALION

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.