Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,872 members, 7,806,486 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. (8273 Views)

Photos From The National Economic Council Meeting At The State House Yesterday / When Nigerians Hear The Word "CHANGE" In 2019 (pics) / See What Amaechi Did While The National Anthem Was Being Recited... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by lordizak(m): 9:17am On Jun 17, 2010
Arise o compatriot, Nigerias call obey, to serve our father land with love and strength and faith, the labours of our heroes past shall never be in vein, to serve with heart and might one nation bound in freedom peace and unity. THIS MAKE OF FEEL LIKE I BELONG & I'M PROUD TO BE A NIGERIAN. What about you.
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by cpatra(f): 9:40am On Jun 17, 2010
The last sentence is the straw that breaks the camel's back.
*sob* sob*sob*
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by ud4u: 10:38am On Jun 17, 2010
If really we can see the dead, you will discover that our Nationalist will be crying in their graves any time they hear The National Anthem. So guess why Just because they feel betrayed by their successors.
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by blackmann(m): 10:57am On Jun 17, 2010
National Anthem? What's that?
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by manmustwac(m): 11:07am On Jun 17, 2010
when i sing all the words to the national anthem and look at what is happening to the country i feel as if everything that is happening here is the exact opposite to the national anthem. sad cry
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by Kennyblues(m): 12:27pm On Jun 17, 2010
Dissapointed and disturbed by crop of politicians parading themselves as leaders
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by Kgdavid(m): 12:29pm On Jun 17, 2010
has the labour of our heroes past not been in vain? however each time i her it i renew my singular life goal of making a difference for my country, to right the wrongs of the present and create a brighter future for the next generation
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by PeeDaVinci: 12:34pm On Jun 17, 2010
arise o compatriot : dont know who the song is addressing coz i dont see no compatriot anywhere, so, the song is meaningless init.
nigeria's call obey: dont know what nigeria's call we are obeying now, what is nigeria calling us to do ,  steal , loot ,
to serve our fatherland: which fatherland when you are not welcomed in a place you were born and grew up just because your father is not from that exact place, leaving me to question the exact meaning of the word 'fatherland'
with love and strenght and faith : not a news that nobody does that anymore, we dont love our country, we do anything that has do with our country with XXXXL-Laziness, just a handful of ppple left who still have faith in this entity called nigeria
the labours of our heroes past : I question who these heroes are, it will be better if we mention their names. are we referring to the likes of awolowo, azikwe, ahmadu bello who are chief tribalist, or are we reffering to the ones who came in like mumu and dont even know what to do with nigeria(gowon), or are we referring to the likes of obj, ibb who exactly are the heroes past, maybe we should trace it back b4 slave trade to the likes of ogun, sango,  i reckon that those past leaders laid the foundation for the problem we have now. take it or leave it
shall never be in vain : it is not in vain nw, we are reaping the results
to serve with heart and might : 2nd time 'serve' is occuring in the anthem, unfortunately, this is not a word in our vocab, wondering what is it doing there in the song, gues it is just a placeholder to make the song more sweeter.

one nation bound in freedom , peace, and unity
: judge this yourself, we all know the truth
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jun 17, 2010
Juxtaposition of the wordings of our present National anthem with the realities on ground easily elicits bitter feelings among an average Nigerian. The good news is that recitation of the anthem doesn't necessarily mean that one makes any meaning out of it. It is a routine that should be carried out when the situation demands. In my "mind's eye" the anthem of the Land of the Rising Sun or the old National anthem would've appealed more to a good sense.
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by lysaa(f): 12:38pm On Jun 17, 2010
What about 'O God of creation, direct our noble course wondering how many courses are noble now, guide our leaders right, help our youths the truth to know. .' Wonderful! Brilliant!

There isn't any correlation btw the country today and this anthem that's been beautifully orchestrated to inspire Nigerians and give them a foundation of a true naija character irrespective of our different believes, culture, languages, gender and statuses. It's painful when one sing these great lines and not let the meaning sink deep and propel him to contribute his positive quota to the progress of this nation.
When I took out time to think about our anthem, I felt like teaching everyone again even tho i know they know it.

See when beyonce sang it with passion on a concert in naija and see the way ppl responded to it like it's a worship song being sung in church. I bet some even cried! lol

It's inspiring, motivational and it also encourages unity.
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by KennyG6(m): 12:42pm On Jun 17, 2010
It makes me cry at what the country has become, seems none of our present leaders either understand the words or care, cry cry
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by otukpo(f): 12:59pm On Jun 17, 2010
opposite of reality
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by eloii: 1:05pm On Jun 17, 2010
Mediating the statement (MY FATHER LAND'S) which suppose to be the world of no suffering. But there is suffering.
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by Ultrame(m): 1:19pm On Jun 17, 2010
Indifferent. undecided
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by desthan(m): 1:22pm On Jun 17, 2010
All this committee of sycophancy looting this country dry, a country with no value, oh God help me, i'll rather teach my kids good morals and values rather than that rubbish anthem, shoooorrrr!

@poster

it make me wanna regurgitate. . . . .
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by dgr8truth(m): 1:22pm On Jun 17, 2010
if you are not aware, pls know that, there is a bill before the senate to change our national athem to reflect their deeds and intentions. The propose new athem is:

Arise o lootocrats, nigeria's call obey
To serve our stomach
with love and strength and faith
The labour of our heroes past
Which have pave the way for our lootocraism
Shall never be in vain
To steal and loot with all our might and strength
This one aim we must acheive no matter the cost
So help us 'g'od.
grin grin grin grin grin

this new national athem is open to modification before the final passage of this bill.
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by FFA: 1:24pm On Jun 17, 2010
MO GAN PAAAAA,
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by skyndyp(f): 1:28pm On Jun 17, 2010
Several national anthems are said to be built around a national hero, such as Denmark’s King Christian and Haiti’s Jean-Jacques Dessalines, or a national flag, like those of Honduras and the United States of America. Many are said to be, in effect, prayers, like ‘God Save the King/Queen;’ or calls to arms, like France’s ‘La Marsillaise.’

From the above information, one is, therefore, compelled to ask the question, what is Nigeria’s current national anthem built around?

Though i was not born when the old national anthem was in use, i strongly like and feel something in me when i go thru the lines.
A comparative analysis of both the old and the current national anthems will clearly show that the current one is not inspiring enough, or built around anything or issues that bind all the different groups in the country together. However, the old one emphasized our diversity as a nation and urged every Nigerian to continue to live together in peace and harmony.

This is the first stanza for some of u that ive not seen it before grin grin grin

Nigeria, we hail thee,

Our own dear native land,

Though tribe and tongue, may differ,

In brotherhood, we stand,

Nigerians all, and proud to serve

Our sovereign Motherland.

Going through the stanzas of the old anthem, one could feel the patriotic zeal, inspirational fervour and sense of collective brotherhood in it that is not pesent in the present anthem.
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by eros(m): 1:30pm On Jun 17, 2010
dgr8truth:

if you are not aware, pls know that, there is a bill before the senate to change our national athem to reflect their deeds and intentions. The propose new athem is:

Arise o lootocrats, nigeria's call obey
To serve our stomach
with love and strength and faith
The labour of our heroes past
Which have pave the way for our lootocraism
Shall never be in vain
To steal and loot with all our might and strength
This one aim we must acheive no matter the cost
So help us 'g'od.
grin grin grin grin grin

this new national athem is open to modification before the final passage of this bill.

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy

When the time is right, we will be free from this mess we have found ourselves.
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by Jeezy: 1:32pm On Jun 17, 2010
I'm like yeah, woteva undecided
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by slap1(m): 1:38pm On Jun 17, 2010
When I was younger it meant so much to me, now I see it as nothing. I hated singing it even before I left secondary school, and I don't think I've since then. Hearing it now reminds me of the greatest deceit -- SELF-DECEIT!
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by CarlosVent(m): 1:44pm On Jun 17, 2010
i feel for biafra cos it should hav bn biafra
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jun 17, 2010
i prefare NIGERIA WE HAIL THEE

Nigeria we hail thee,
Our own dear native land,
Though tribe and tongue may differ,
In brotherhood we stand,
Nigerians all, and proud to serve
Our sovereign Motherland.

Our flag shall be a symbol
That truth and justice reign,
In peace or battle honour'd,
And this we count as gain,
To hand on to our children
A banner without stain.

O God of all creation,
Grant this our one request,
Help us to build a nation
Where no man is oppressed,
And so with peace and plenty
Nigeria may be blessed.

I cry when i read these lines, IT SHOULD STILL BE OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by Consensus: 1:52pm On Jun 17, 2010
I feel like a great country filled with beautiful people and abundant natural resources isn't where it should be in the ranking of the world's top economies.
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by Bestglo(f): 1:54pm On Jun 17, 2010
undecided
I'm indifferent when i hear the Anthem. undecided

Personally, i would have prefered the second stanza being sang.

O GOD OF CREATION DIRECT OUR NOBLE COURSE, GUIDE OUR LEADERS RIGHT, HELP

OUR YOUTH THE THRUTH TO KNOW, IN LOVE AND HONESTY TO GROW,,

It makes more sense inviting God into the business
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by misterh(m): 2:16pm On Jun 17, 2010
It surprises me that Nigerians are talking this way. If the national identity is not respected even by us, how do we expect foreigners to respect us and we respect other countries. You will even see some motorists designing their vehicle with the flag of the US. Look at an average English, every time he wakes up in the morning, he prays for the queen and consequently, England. Our country cannot move forward if we condemn every aspect of us. AS FOR ME, I AM PROUDLY NIGERIAN. What of you?
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by Acidosis(m): 2:19pm On Jun 17, 2010
Consensus:

I feel like a great country filled with beautiful people and abundant natural resources isn't where it should be in the ranking of the world's top economies.
Really??
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jun 17, 2010
It's kinda odd, cuz I feel proud,

Although there isn't much 2 b prideful 'bout!

I feel we also have a long long way 2 go!
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by samdigo(m): 2:35pm On Jun 17, 2010
a sense of pride, regret, remourse, anger, and compassion
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by berrye(f): 2:37pm On Jun 17, 2010

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
cry
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by shockreaction(m): 2:40pm On Jun 17, 2010
Indifferent. Naturally.
Re: How Do You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem. by kenmaro: 2:43pm On Jun 17, 2010
I feel sad because the labour of our heroes past is now in vein.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NBS: 29 States Generated N317.79bn In Six Months - Thisday / Breaking: Kwankwanso Steps Down For Tinubu, To Join APC On Saturday / Buhari Acknowledged His Wife Before Osibanjo!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.