Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd (6587 Views)

Amina Mohammed Inspects Delta Forcados Oil Spill (Photos) / Forget The Noise By APC, PDP – Agbakoba / Lai Mohammed Fires Back At FFK- "whats all the noise about Buharis credentials?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by SEFAGO(m): 5:23pm On Jun 17, 2010
A boy playing by Bodo Creek in Bodo, Nigeria. As many as 546 million gallons of oil spilled into the Niger Delta over the last five decades, experts said. More Photos »

The Niger Delta region contains fragile wetlands. More Photos »

Perhaps no place on earth has been as battered by oil, experts say, leaving residents here astonished at the nonstop attention paid to the gusher half a world away in the Gulf of Mexico. It was only a few weeks ago, they say, that a burst pipe belonging to Royal Dutch Shell in the mangroves was finally shut after flowing for two months: now nothing living moves in a black-and-brown world once teeming with shrimp and crab.

Not far away, there is still black crude on Gio Creek from an April spill, and just across the state line in Akwa Ibom the fishermen curse their oil-blackened nets, doubly useless in a barren sea buffeted by a spill from an offshore Exxon Mobil pipe in May that lasted for weeks.

The oil spews from rusted and aging pipes, unchecked by what analysts say is ineffectual or collusive regulation, and abetted by deficient maintenance and sabotage. In the face of this black tide is an infrequent protest — soldiers guarding an Exxon Mobil site beat women who were demonstrating last month, according to witnesses — but mostly resentful resignation.

Small children swim in the polluted estuary here, fishermen take their skiffs out ever farther — “There’s nothing we can catch here,” said Pius Doron, perched anxiously over his boat — and market women trudge through oily streams. “There is Shell oil on my body,” said Hannah Baage, emerging from Gio Creek with a machete to cut the cassava stalks balanced on her head.

That the Gulf of Mexico disaster has transfixed a country and president they so admire is a matter of wonder for people here, living among the palm-fringed estuaries in conditions as abject as any in Nigeria, according to the United Nations. Though their region contributes nearly 80 percent of the government’s revenue, they have hardly benefited from it; life expectancy is the lowest in Nigeria.

“President Obama is worried about that one,” Claytus Kanyie, a local official, said of the gulf spill, standing among dead mangroves in the soft oily muck outside Bodo. “Nobody is worried about this one. The aquatic life of our people is dying off. There used be shrimp. There are no longer any shrimp.”

In the distance, smoke rose from what Mr. Kanyie and environmental activists said was an illegal refining business run by local oil thieves and protected, they said, by Nigerian security forces. The swamp was deserted and quiet, without even bird song; before the spills, Mr. Kanyie said, women from Bodo earned a living gathering mollusks and shellfish among the mangroves.

With new estimates that as many as 2.5 million gallons of oil could be spilling into the Gulf of Mexico each day, the Niger Delta has suddenly become a cautionary tale for the United States.

As many as 546 million gallons of oil spilled into the Niger Delta over the last five decades, or nearly 11 million gallons a year, a team of experts for the Nigerian government and international and local environmental groups concluded in a 2006 report. By comparison, the Exxon Valdez spill in 1989 dumped an estimated 10.8 million gallons of oil into the waters off Alaska.

So the people here cast a jaundiced, if sympathetic, eye at the spill in the gulf. “We’re sorry for them, but it’s what’s been happening to us for 50 years,” said Emman Mbong, an official in Eket.

The spills here are all the more devastating because this ecologically sensitive wetlands region, the source of 10 percent of American oil imports, has most of Africa’s mangroves and, like the Louisiana coast, has fed the interior for generations with its abundance of fish, shellfish, wildlife and crops.

Local environmentalists have been denouncing the spoliation for years, with little effect. “It’s a dead environment,” said Patrick Naagbanton of the Center for Environment, Human Rights and Development in Port Harcourt, the leading city of the oil region.

Though much here has been destroyed, much remains, with large expanses of vibrant green. Environmentalists say that with intensive restoration, the Niger Delta could again be what it once was.

Nigeria produced more than two million barrels of oil a day last year, and in over 50 years thousands of miles of pipes have been laid through the swamps. Shell, the major player, has operations on thousands of square miles of territory, according to Amnesty International. Aging columns of oil-well valves, known as Christmas trees, pop up improbably in clearings among the palm trees. Oil sometimes shoots out of them, even if the wells are defunct.

“The oil was just shooting up in the air, and it goes up in the sky,” said Amstel M. Gbarakpor, youth president in Kegbara Dere, recalling the spill in April at Gio Creek. “It took them three weeks to secure this well.”

How much of the spillage is due to oil thieves or to sabotage linked to the militant movement active in the Niger Delta, and how much stems from poorly maintained and aging pipes, is a matter of fierce dispute among communities, environmentalists and the oil companies.

Caroline Wittgen, a spokeswoman for Shell in Lagos, said, “We don’t discuss individual spills,” but argued that the “vast majority” were caused by sabotage or theft, with only 2 percent due to equipment failure or human error.

“We do not believe that we behave irresponsibly, but we do operate in a unique environment where security and lawlessness are major problems,” Ms. Wittgen said.

Oil companies also contend that they clean up much of what is lost. A spokesman for Exxon Mobil in Lagos, Nigel A. Cookey-Gam, said that the company’s recent offshore spill leaked only about 8,400 gallons and that “this was effectively cleaned up.”

But many experts and local officials say the companies attribute too much to sabotage, to lessen their culpability. Richard Steiner, a consultant on oil spills, concluded in a 2008 report that historically “the pipeline failure rate in Nigeria is many times that found elsewhere in the world,” and he noted that even Shell acknowledged “almost every year” a spill due to a corroded pipeline.

On the beach at Ibeno, the few fishermen were glum. Far out to sea oil had spilled for weeks from the Exxon Mobil pipe. “We can’t see where to fish; oil is in the sea,” Patrick Okoni said.

“We don’t have an international media to cover us, so nobody cares about it,” said Mr. Mbong, in nearby Eket. “Whatever cry we cry is not heard outside of here.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/africa/17nigeria.html?hp
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by ElRazur: 5:29pm On Jun 17, 2010
The Time [UK] had a similar article on comparison between the ND and the spill in the US Gulf right now. smiley

I suppose it boils down to difference in "civilisation". People can vent out their frustration and anger in the US without fear of persecution from the powers above. Try that in Nigeria and it becomes clear as to why there isn't much fuss.

Also, one can argue that much fuss have been made in the past, but the world is currently not listening I think.
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Beaf: 5:30pm On Jun 17, 2010
Americans value human life, but here, a great proportion of Nigerians think that the ND and its people are there as their slaves and their lives are worth nothing. The Americans keep referring to the Niger Delta when discussing the Mexico spill, because they argue that what goes on there belittles whatever it is they are experiencing.

Nigeria in many ways is worse than Nazi Germany. In fact, a legislator (Ibn N'Allah, Kebbi state) recommended that all 20 million Niger Deltans be wiped out to benefit other Nigerians. Na so.
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Kobojunkie: 5:31pm On Jun 17, 2010
ElRazur:

I suppose it boils down to difference in "civilisation". People can vent out their frustration and anger in the US without fear of persecution from the powers above. Try that in Nigeria and it becomes clear as to why there isn't much fuss.

Also, one can argue that much fuss have been made in the past, but the world is currently not listening I think.

How about persecution from the LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND PEOPLE IN THE AREA BENEFITTING FROM IT ALL? The people themselves are not UNITED in their cause!
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Beaf: 5:39pm On Jun 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

How about persecution from the LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND PEOPLE IN THE AREA BENEFITTING FROM IT ALL? The people themselves are not UNITED in their cause!

How would anybody be benefitting from oil spills? shocked shocked shocked
That is about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Do they cook the oil and feed it to kids or what?
It was recently announced that Shell alone is to clean up 268 spills that have occured this year (no doubt because an ND person is in govt).

Please somebody explain to me how local people benefit from oil spills that destroy lives and livelihoods? Can the sane ones among us now understand why I said earlier that Nigeria is in many ways, worse than Nazi Germany?
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by ElRazur: 5:46pm On Jun 17, 2010
Beaf,

I think she is talking about those who take money and then look the other way, without regards for the consequences.

I am sure a few village elders, people in the government etc are guilty of this kind of accusation in my opinion.

It is not far fetched to say some of the people are truly not united, as some of them people are making money out of the misery of others.
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Kobojunkie: 5:56pm On Jun 17, 2010
It is obvious what I mean there but I think it is better and more convenient to believe that NO ONE from the local areas have benefitted so far from all the millions in taxes, and millions in funds given the local governments by the oil companies themselves, over the years.
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Beaf: 5:57pm On Jun 17, 2010
ElRazur:

Beaf,

I think she is talking about those who take money and then look the other way, without regards for the consequences.

I am sure a few village elders, people in the government etc are guilty of this kind of accusation in my opinion.

It is not far fetched to say some of the people are truly not united, and some of them people are making money out of the misery of others.

But people don't need to be united to be considered human and there are always traitors anywhere, its human nature. I am quite sure the Americans too are not united and there are one or two traitors in their midst, but their federal govt is bending everything to see that justice is done. Not so over here; indeed she talked about local govt, which is plainly ridiculous to the point of wickedness.
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Kobojunkie: 6:03pm On Jun 17, 2010
The Concerns of the Business owners, Citizens in the area, local Governments(Mayors, Governors, Senators & Other representatives) was necessary here to get the media involved, and federal Government listening and working  . . .  Unity does not \ have to mean all 300 million citizens of America here.

Polls still show that most Americans are more concerned about unemployment figures than they are of what is going on down in the gulf area. But because the local governments in the area are unwilling to let this one go and have made it a federal issue, it is still high in the news today and will remain so until a lasting solution is found.
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Beaf: 4:44am On Jun 18, 2010
Kobojunkie:

The Concerns of the Business owners, Citizens in the area, local Governments(Mayors, Governors, Senators & Other representatives) was necessary here to get the media involved, and federal Government listening and working  . . .  Unity does not \ have to mean all 300 million citizens of America here.

Polls still show that most Americans are more concerned about unemployment figures than they are of what is going on down in the gulf area. But because the local governments in the area are unwilling to let this one go and have made it a federal issue, it is still high in the news today and will remain so until a lasting solution is found.

I have never seen a greater collection of nonsense in a single post.
Who cares what US polls say? Are the polls in the news or its the leak that’s in the news? But then, we tend to "know" more about the US than we know about Nigeria, don’t we?

This is a grovelling display of disunity from a congress man from Texas. He actually apologised to BP, because the fed govt got them to set aside $20 billion for compensation. Texas is local to the oil spill and oil industry (except someone moved it elsewhere);

"I'm ashamed of what happened in the White House yesterday. I think it is a tragedy of the first proportion that a private corporation can be subjected to what I would characterise as a shakedown, a $20bn shakedown.

"I do not want to live in a country where any time a citizen or a corporation does something that is subject to some sort of political pressure that is, again in my words, amounts to a shakedown. So I apologise."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/us_and_canada/10346061.stm

Yes, there are traitors, cowards and fools (eg past govts) in every country. But it is only in Nigeria that such people become a callous and evil excuse for the deaths and destruction of the livelihoods of a full 13+% of its population.

In the US, that happens not to be the case; nobody is talking about the obvious disunity of folk in the Gulf of Mexico; instead Obama has visited countless times, made a speech in the pouring rain, mobilised the army and scientists across the World (yes, if you can suggest a workable solution, you are made for life). And yes, it is a US FEDERAL GOVT initiative. Why go this length? Simple, the life of every US citizen is highly valued and society functions.

In Nigeria, there is no love and what you get in certain cases, is an absolute racism against the people of the Niger Delta, who lay the golden egg for the nation; because some feel hopeless in their inability to contribute anything to the countries economy, have no clue what to do about it (or are beaten back by chaos) and so cling desperately to a free launch and like drowning men, drag everything around them down the murky depths.

The American media keep talking about what goes on in the Niger Delta, because they are very frankly shocked at FG attitudes. Four things amplify this;
[list]
[li]Unlike the US, Nigeria is dependent on Niger Delta oil for 90% of federal earnings[/li]
[li]The pollution in the Niger Delta dwarfs the Mexico oil spill by several orders of magnitude, yet the federal govt does absolutely nothing[/li]
[li]The US federal govt has acted robustly, despite practicing true federalism; while the unitary Nigerian govt has done zilch[/li]
[li]Instead of acting, the Nigerian federal govt has carried out several exterminations of Niger Delta communities; with arms and equipment fully paid for by foreign oil companies[/li]
[/list]

"Ahh! Those useless ND people! Its all their fault, some actually enjoy the oil spills! They want to stop us enjoying our free lunch, because their local reps are inept.."
. . .The shame and wickedness of it all.

1 Like

Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Nobody: 4:52am On Jun 18, 2010
Beaf:

How would anybody be benefitting from oil spills? shocked shocked shocked
That is about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Do they cook the oil and feed it to kids or what?
It was recently announced that Shell alone is to clean up 268 spills that have occured this year (no doubt because an ND person is in govt).

Please somebody explain to me how local people benefit from oil spills that destroy lives and livelihoods? Can the sane ones among us now understand why I said earlier that Nigeria is in many ways, worse than Nazi Germany?
You never heard of "eja didin"
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Beaf: 4:57am On Jun 18, 2010
FL Gators:

You never heard of "eja didin"

My dear, you want all our little pikins to turn to charcoal? grin grin grin
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Nobody: 4:58am On Jun 18, 2010
lol grin
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Nobody: 5:10am On Jun 18, 2010
are the communities and mend not also complicit in oil spills?

what happens when mend blows up pipelines?

whta happens when ateke and co engage in oil bunkering?

even communities do it as well

we need to stop going on as if the nd communities are pure victims. this is not some hollywood movie with black and white
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Beaf: 5:36am On Jun 18, 2010
oyb:

are the communities and mend not also complicit in oil spills?

what happens when mend blows up pipelines?

whta happens when ateke and co engage in oil bunkering?

even communities do it as well

we need to stop going on as if the nd communities are pure victims. this is not some hollywood movie with black and white

MEND has been in existence since 2006, that is just 4 years ago! Shame on you.
Oil was discovered in Oloibiri in 1956, 54 years ago (more than half a century). It might please you to know that the very first Nigerian oil well at Oloibiri has been leaking steadily for decades. What has been done about it?

After 50 years of slavery, the ND was forced to take up arms. Something they rightly did 4 years ago. What was the country doing in those 50 years? Bayelsa was not connected to the national grid until 2006! Yet, Abuja and Lagos had been built up one after the other as capitals.

It is only in Nigeria that you hear that the Niger Delta is not a victim. Abroad, the situation is looked on with total revulsion, hence the Americans every once in a while, find time to say, "but, hey! We ain't getting it hot! For the worst oil spills in the World, look to Nigeria and their wicked and corrupt govts."
To some Nigerians, its easy to point fingers at those who took up arms in 2006 than to address the mismanagement and stark ineptitude of the 54 years we have produced oil.

Shame.
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Nobody: 6:32am On Jun 18, 2010
i see

so mend is perfectly in order to degrade the environment because they are fighting a 'just cause' ,not so?

how do you reconcile righting nasty corporations with doing the exact same thing you accuse

i noticed you had nothing to say about bunkering by prominent individuals in the region

shame, for doing what typical Nigerians are best at, laying all the blame at the foot of the 'wicked and corrupt' government.

it would be nice for those people abroad looking with revulsion abroad to come down and get kidnapped by the 'heroes taking up arms'

of course, it doesn't matter if mend spills only a years worth of oil -its all for a good cause - now if only those heroes would be called on to do what bp is being called on to do - pay damages for their destruction of the environment

In the distance, smoke rose from what Mr. Kanyie and environmental activists said was an illegal refining business run by local oil thieves and protected, they said, by Nigerian security forces. The swamp was deserted and quiet, without even bird song; before the spills, Mr. Kanyie said, women from Bodo earned a living gathering mollusks and shellfish among the mangroves.

this is from the original post . charity begins at home. i wonder just how much of the oil spills are actually due to shell etal ineptitude, and how much is due to local sabotage for profit

i wonder how shell is expected to send its workers to fix pipelines, when there is a risk of their being kidnapped - it has happened more than once

After 50 years of slavery, the ND was forced to take up arms. Something they rightly did 4 years ago. What was the country doing in those 50 years? Bayelsa was not connected to the national grid until 2006! Yet, Abuja and Lagos had been built up one after the other as capitals.

it would be nice for you to come down to the region and reap the benefits of 'taking up arms'. the entire region is now a den of kidnappers, and ferocious armed robbers. that is the true legacy.
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Kobojunkie: 6:38am On Jun 18, 2010
Oh!! I forgot to add MEND to the list of current beneficiaries. They came out as LIBERATORS but now enjoy Naira 65000 a month,Scholarship to foreign schools, Amnesty, and other benefits. I guess now they are no longer as INTERESTED as they had been only while back.
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Nobody: 6:48am On Jun 18, 2010
^^^

real Nigerian heroes that lot

anyway, that 20billion has their eyes popping - expect them to take up a new 'call to arms'
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Beaf: 1:40pm On Jun 18, 2010
oyb:

real Nigerian heroes that lot

anyway, that 20billion has their eyes popping - expect them to take up a new 'call to arms'

So MEND's 4 year old existence is the reason for govts 54 years of total negligence and abuseshocked Na wa o! This one na 9ja mathematics!
The logic is so weak and funny, I don't even know when I will stop laughing! grin

. . .Nigerians and their wickedness sha!
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Kobojunkie: 1:43pm On Jun 18, 2010
This "DANCE AROUND THE REAL ISSUE" tactic is really getting old!
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Beaf: 1:47pm On Jun 18, 2010
^
Sharap! At least the other people who regularly hate on the ND are benefiting from the oil industry; so we know where they are coming from. As for you, its out of pure racism or just for hot airs sake. Have you forgotten how you strenously argued that Aondoakaa is from the Niger Delta? shocked You are lost, but you don't know it.

We will continue seeing many surprising peeps in 9ja sha! grin
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Kobojunkie: 1:51pm On Jun 18, 2010
Oh, because I am not into pretending to live in denial of the facts in much the same way as you continue to means I HATE ND PEOPLE?

I choose to accept that ND people/and government have their share of the blame means I hate them?

I prefer to be honestly dissect the situation now puts me in YOUR ANTI-ND bin?

You must be a brilliant one!!! Are you like the village champion of your square or something?

Anyways, are you ever going to get back to issue or is this the usual sidetrack and run for you? I notice that is all you seem to do when you are faced with facts you are unwilling to deal with. Even the continued mentioning of an incident/mistake of mine, that happened about a year ago, makes me realize we are probably never going to get an honest analyze of this particular issue from you . . typical if you ask me.
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Beaf: 1:59pm On Jun 18, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Oh, because I am not into pretending to live in denial of the facts in much the same way as you continue to means I HATE ND PEOPLE?

I choose to accept that ND people/and government have their share of the blame means I hate them?

I prefer to be honestly dissect the situation now puts me in YOUR ANTI-ND bin?

You must be a brilliant one!!! Are you like the village champion of your square or something?

When you don't have a clue about a topic (to the extent that your ignorance shines like the sun), but still you insist on taking hard positions, it is natural to assume that your motives are dubious. I mean how could anybody argue that Aondokaa is from the Niger Delta? How? . . .You want us to believe you are some authority on MEND? Come on! We can see through you and your type; its pure hatred.
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Kobojunkie: 2:08pm On Jun 18, 2010
Oh!!! Now I don't have a clue about the topic?

Ok . . . so I was wrong on Aondoakka ALMOST A YEAR AGO  . . . he is from benue and not from delta as I had initially thought. Not that it really mattered much where he was from back then and even now-- ND area has produced some equally dishonest leaders, like most other areas of the country. What has that to do with this particular thread?

See! For the umpteenth time, and on the umpteenth thread, I have admitted I was wrong on his state of origin. This is AGAIN so you can get over your 'ticks' ,and get back to discussing this issue. Now are you going to get back to NOT DECIEVING YOURSELF, or pretending you have all of ND in your hands? Or are you stuck like a child who has lost control on the aondoakka issue ?

There is no denying the fact that locals have benefitted immensely from the payouts from oil companies in the area over the years. MEND is about the latest group to get their own share of the loot, loot which would not have been available in the way it has been had it not been for the,yes, OIL SPILLS. LGA chairmen and more have been made rich overnight. Even some ND people in the US have been able to sue the oil companies and get big pays. Are you denying any of this? OR is it that you do not know of this at all? Or are you just going to keep making an arse of yourself there thinking it affects me or the credibility of my argument in some way?
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by MandingoII(m): 2:24pm On Jun 18, 2010
Did Nigeria get $$20 BILLION US DOLLARS put in an escrow?

In other words Obama made BP pay up 20 Billion to be drained by the United States Government, with more to come.
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Beaf: 2:30pm On Jun 18, 2010
MandingoII:

[size=14pt]Did Nigeria get $$20 BILLION US DOLLARS put in an escrow?[/size]

In other words Obama made BP pay up 20 Billion to be drained by the United States Government, with more to come.

No, some Nigerians are here shamelessly blaming the victims. The past govts on their part have hawked Nigerians for twopence to the worst slavemasters and some of us are proud of it.
It is an incredible pity. Why does one need external enemies when some of their own country men and women will do just fine? I mean, they do a much better job.
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by DisGuy: 2:33pm On Jun 18, 2010
OK OK OK GOODLUCK JONATHAN is the PRESIDENT NOW WHAT? Are we going to get a shakedown or serious attempt to clean up the area, this guy has 'proposed' so many blueprint and plans but no CLEAN UP MASTER PLAN and he has been in Governement for well over 8 years now

we cant keep blaming the govt (which to a large extent is made up of influencial heavy weight from that same region!!)

so much money goes into scholarship for petroleum eng,this or that engineering and very little effort goesinto environment regenration- They have basically given up hope of cleaning up this area,
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by DisGuy: 2:38pm On Jun 18, 2010
Beaf:

No, some Nigerians are here shamelessly blaming the victims. The past govts on their part have hawked Nigerians for twopence to the worst slavemasters and some of us are proud of it.
It is an incredible pity. Why does one need external enemies when some of their own country men and women will do just fine? I mean, they do a much better job.

and to take it further. . . why does anyone need their own federal enemy when some of their own states men and women will do just fine. . .

What will happen if/when all the senators, House of Reps, Governors from NIger Delta stay away from Abuja UNTIL A MASTERPLAN is discussed and Budgeted for? (it would seem some of them hardly visit their hometown apart from when they are commissioning aa new gloryland mansion)
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Beaf: 2:41pm On Jun 18, 2010
Dis Guy:

OK OK OK GOODLUCK JONATHAN is the PRESIDENT NOW WHAT? Are we going to get a shakedown or serious attempt to clean up the area, this guy has 'proposed' so many blueprint and plans but no CLEAN UP MASTER PLAN and he has been in Governement for well over 8 years now

we cant keep blaming the govt (which to a large extent is made up of influencial heavy weight from that same region!!)

so much money goes into scholarship for petroleum eng,this or that engineering and very little effort goesinto environment regenration- They have basically given up hope of cleaning up this area,  

Every single oil contract is owned by the FG. So what do you mean we shouldn't blame the FG?
All oil bearing land and adjoining waters are confiscated and owned by the FG. They have all been badly polluted for decades. So what do you mean we shouldn't blame the FG?

Jonathan is not going to be able to undo 54 years of abuse in a few short months, so we aren't even looking in his direction. In fact, when he alorted some money for cleanup, there was a huge outcry from the North about dredging being cancelled (which it wasn't).

The way things are going, one day Nigeria will wake up in deep shock. Like I've been saying, in many ways, our country is worse than Nazi Germany.
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 18, 2010

See! For the umpteenth time, and on the umpteenth thread, I have admitted I was wrong on his state of origin. This is AGAIN so you can get over your 'ticks' ,and get back to discussing this issue. Now are you going to get back to NOT DECIEVING YOURSELF, or pretending you have all of ND in your hands? Or are you stuck like a child who has lost control on the aondoakka issue ?

wow - so i was actually right that is how beaf operates - run away from the core argument by harping on past mistakes. i should know - in another thea he kept on an on about warri not being in the east and refused to answer any other question

So MEND's 4 year old existence  is the reason for govts 54 years of total negligence and abuse?  Shocked Na wa o! This one na 9ja mathematics!

see as you are contradicting yourself and running round like a headless chicken

this must be beaf paraga talking  tongue

. . .Nigerians and their wickedness sha!

so , are you saying you aren't a nigerian? that might explain some of the truly naive bs you post - the way you keep lionizing mend as knights on white chargers - those of us real nigerians on te ground know different

i wonder where your comments on the rape of the nd and on the environment were when mend blew up atlas cove in lagos

anyway we already know beafs logic - when oil companies spill oil, its because they are evil and wicked - when nd indegenes or men spill oil, just look the other way

as usual you have nothing to say or why haven't you commented on this?

In the distance, smoke rose from what Mr. Kanyie and environmental activists said was an illegal refining business run by local oil thieves and protected, they said, by Nigerian security forces. The swamp was deserted and quiet, without even bird song; before the spills, Mr. Kanyie said, women from Bodo earned a living gathering mollusks and shellfish among the mangroves

i have posted it again - are those local oil thieves part of the wicked non nd you keep whining about?
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by Beaf: 2:44pm On Jun 18, 2010
Dis Guy:

and to take it further. . . why does anyone need their own federal enemy when some of their own states men and women will do just fine. . .

What will happen if/when all the senators, House of Reps, Governors from NIger Delta stay away from Abuja UNTIL A MASTERPLAN is discussed and Budgeted for? (it would seem some of them hardly visit their hometown apart from when they are commissioning aa new gloryland mansion)

What about all the senators, House of Reps, Governors from your area? I'm quite definite it doesn't contribute much to the Nigerian economy. Does it?
So why should your people even be in Abuja instead of finalising their very own MASTERPLAN?
Re: Why All The Noise About Mexico's Oil Spill When Worse Goes On In Nd by DisGuy: 2:44pm On Jun 18, 2010
We don’t have an international media to cover us, so nobody cares about it,” said Mr. Mbong, in nearby Eket. “Whatever cry we cry is not heard outside of here.”  

and the private media in nigeria owned largely by guess who are busy covering Amodu's society wedding

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos Ex-deputy Governor Ojikutu Wanted Over Alleged N130m Fraud / RE: Adaure4ever, One Of The Sins Of Rochas Okorocha / BREAKING NEWS: Military Bombs Arepo To Dislodge Militants [PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.