Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:04 AM

GAIM Instant Messenger - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / GAIM Instant Messenger (2519 Views)

Tor Instant Messenger / BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GAIM Instant Messenger by Jalal(m): 7:14pm On Jan 04, 2006
Hello,

How do u guys rate GAIM Messenger?

For those of u that don't know what it is heres an overview: In a nutshell it enables you to chat with contacts across all networks at the same time whether you're on MSN Messenger, Yahoo, Google Talk, AOL etc!

Chat with friends on Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk, MSN Messenger, AOL and many others at the same time using the same software!

Gaim is an Internet Messenging (chat) client that enables you to chat with others in real time using any supported network, including AIM, ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, and Zephyr. Gaim can be simultaneously connected to several networks, so if you have contacts on different networks, you can talk to them all at the same time, from one easy to use program.

Gaim supports many native network features, such as file transfer, away messages, buddy icons, typing notification, and MSN window closing notifications well as many unique features.

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by Farriel(m): 4:55pm On Jan 05, 2006
'Say No To GAIM'

That's the much I can tell you or anyone. It's an adware, a spyware and lot more than just these. I honestly think that the usage of any app should be free of hassles and bundled apps that do nothing to enhance your usability of that app.

GAIM opens up a huge backdoor for the influx of pop-ups, nasty toolbars and a lot more.

Stay away from it man...
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by Seun(m): 5:50am On Jan 06, 2006
[img]http://gaim.sourceforge.net,nyud.net:8090/images/gaim-logo.png[/img]The GAIM I know is a boring open source chat application that works on both Windows and Linux usng the GTK+ toolkit (which GIMP also uses). It definitely doesn't come bundled with any spyware or adware.

Farriel where did you get your information? shocked
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by Chxta(m): 9:11am On Jan 06, 2006
I have just 2 problems with GAIM: It doesn't let me log on as invisible, and it doesn't notify me when I receive new email messages. All in all, I prefer Trillian to any other alternative chat program out there. Problem is I am yet to find a version of Trillian that is made for Linux.
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by Jalal(m): 10:58am On Jan 06, 2006
@Chxta of course GAIM notifys u when u receive new mail messages, maybe u didnt enable that feature.
And like Seun says so far i've never come across any adware, popups or spyware when using it.
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by Farriel(m): 12:58pm On Jan 06, 2006
I definitely did not get any information from anywhere. I'm saying something I experienced first-hand.
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by Bibi(m): 11:23pm On Jan 06, 2006
Gaim is cool, with so many add-ons, themes, etc. Im able to consolidate my yahoo, msn, googletalk, aim and integrate with my corporate IM clients on Sametime and Jabba.

Im sure Farriel is talking about something else and not Gaim. Gaim has no adware or spyware. Its got a lot of integration to provide functionalities as in most of the native clients it support, including mail notification, mood icons, presence, etc.

The fact that I may integrate my corporate IMs with personal in the same client makes it cool.

The closest rival is Trillian, but you need the pro version to be able to have Sametime, googletalk, jabba etc.
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by hotangel2(f): 11:54pm On Jan 06, 2006
Okay so should we use GAIM? Cos i dunno nuttin about it, and i really need something that combines all my IM's together.

I heard of Zango.. but i hate it, cos it don't have yahoo "display picture and audibles".
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by Chxta(m): 7:10am On Jan 07, 2006
Jalal:

@Chxta of course GAIM notifys u when u receive new mail messages, maybe u didnt enable that feature.
And like Seun says so far i've never come across any adware, popups or spyware when using it.

How do you enable that feature? I have tried to no avail..
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by Bibi(m): 7:37am On Jan 07, 2006
you need to activate for the individual accounts.
Select the account ->modify account->User options-> select New mail notifications. The option is available for Hotmail, yahoo, aim, ICQ. Doesnt seem available for gmail yet.
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by Jalal(m): 12:07pm On Jan 07, 2006
Thanks Bibi 4 helping out!!
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by Chxta(m): 3:47pm On Jan 08, 2006
Thanks Bb!
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by Jalal(m): 8:05pm On Jun 06, 2006
Really nothing beats GAIM!!!!
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by tishbite(m): 1:46pm On Jun 08, 2006
culd GAIM also serve as a messneger on mobile phones on wap over gprs?
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by fisayo: 6:45am On Jun 12, 2006
The only bad side with Gaim is that you can't currently do all the voice chatting that the Yahoo IM offers, otherwise, it rocks. By the way, you can log in as invisible. I think it's one of the best IM software around.

Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by Jalal(m): 6:14pm On Jun 13, 2006
fisayo:

The only bad side with Gaim is that you can't currently do all the voice chatting that the Yahoo IM offers, otherwise, it rocks. By the way, you can log in as invisible. I think it's one of the best IM software around.
Tell them o!!!
Re: GAIM Instant Messenger by goodguy(m): 8:07pm On Jun 13, 2006
I have Trillian (Basic) installed on this pc but only use it once in a while, especially when I need to connect to a relay chat (IRC). It's really nice and has all the features that are in the original chat clients, and even more.

(1) (Reply)

Impact of Google Earth / Help Me Unlock My Modem / ✈✳✅very Quality Hp Laptops (Core i7 - Core i5) . Delivery Nationwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.