Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

Police Admit To Lying In Apo Six Killing - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Admit To Lying In Apo Six Killing (3322 Views)

Drunk Policeman Lying On The Ground In Ado-Ekiti (Pictured) / Happening Now! Riots Breaks Out In Apo District Over Murder Of Mechanic! / APO Six Victims: Will They Ever Get Justice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Police Admit To Lying In Apo Six Killing by kech(f): 8:34pm On Jun 19, 2010
Five years after the extra-judicial killing of six traders at the Apo mechanic village in Abuja, the Investigating Police Officer (IPO) yesterday told an Abuja High Court that he was compelled by his Divisional Police Officer to lie in order to save one of the policemen accused of the crime.

Dennis Asawa, a Police Constable, revealed that the DPO, Othman Abdulsalam, who is now at large, made him forge two of his statements to deflect suspicion from one of the officers accused of murdering the traders. Mr. Asawa told the trial judge, Ishaq Bello, that he made a total of three statements at both the Force Criminal Investigation Department and the State Criminal Investigation Department but only his third statement was voluntary.

“[That statement] contains the authentic report of what I witnessed in the course of my job,” he said. “It was untrue that I visited the scene of the event, as stated by the police report. In fact, some of the police witnesses told me their statements were equally dictated by the DPO.”

More retractions

Mr. Asawa is the latest of several police witnesses who have retracted their earlier testimonies. At the trial’s last session, two lead witnesses, Yakubu Philibus and Ibrahim Garba, pleaded with the court to disregard the statements they made before the Mike Okiro Panel of Inquiry that investigated the case in 2005. They insisted that they had lied, and that the six victims did not engage the police patrol squad in any sort of gun battle. Police Constable Haruna Mahmud, another witness said during cross-examination that only one of the eight statements he made was correct.

“The two statements I made on the day of the incident, and the testimony I gave at the Mike Okiro Panel were done under pressure from my DPO,” Mr. Mahmud said. According to Mr. Mammud, he was not even at the scene of the crime, he was at his duty post at Gimbya Street in Area 11, Garki, when the killings took place.

The Apo Six
In one of the most publicised cases of extra-judicial killings in Nigeria, six traders: Ifeanyi Ozor; Chinedu Meniru; Isaac Ekene; Paulinus Ogbonna; Anthony Nwodike and Augustina Arebun, were allegedly killed by a team of police officers on patrol in 2005 while the traders and a girlfriend were driving home from a night out in Abuja.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Ibrahim Danjuma, as well as police officers: Ezekiel Acheneje, Baba Emmanuel, Sadiq Salami, and Mr Abdulsalami, are standing trial on charges of culpable homicide for allegedly killing the victims. Apart from Mr. Danjuma, who was granted bail, and Mr. Abdulsalami, who is currently on the run, the remaining accused persons have been remanded at Kuje prison since 2005. The matter has been adjourned till July for fresh examination.

Source: http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5581819-146/police_admit_to_lying_in_apo.csp

Re: Police Admit To Lying In Apo Six Killing by liliana080(f): 9:11pm On Jun 20, 2010

(1) (Reply)

See How A Thief That Stole A Phone Was Brutalized This Afternoon In Ogun-state / How We Withdraw And Spend Dead People's Money / Former Imo State Governor's Daughter Jailed And Deported From The USA.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.