Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? (16394 Views)

What Is The Difference Between Hotel, Motel, Inn And Guest House / ****hotels And Guest Houses In Lagos / Nice Hotels Or Guest Houses In Calabar? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Apollonio: 4:04pm On Jun 20, 2010
Fellow Nairalanders,I am currently doing a research on Tourism in Nigeria,and the cost of accommodation for tourists and general visitors to Nigeria vis-à-vis quality and services attainable in our hotels and guest houses is my primary focus.
Valuable contributions will be highly appreciated please.
Thanking you all in advance.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by PapaBrowne(m): 12:54pm On Jun 24, 2010
Way overpriced. Some creepy hotels in Victoria Island charge as high as 30k per night. The better ones can go for 50k per night.
Its horrible. In places like Dubai, New York, Frankfurt, you don't get to pay these kind of prices on hotels that are way better than those shitholes they offer on the Island.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Sauron1: 1:00pm On Jun 24, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Way overpriced. Some creepy hotels in Victoria Island charge as high as 30k per night. The better ones can go for 50k per night.
Its horrible. In places like Dubai, New York, Frankfurt, you don't get to pay these kind of prices on hotels that are way better than those shitholes they offer on the Island.

In Dubai, New York and Frankfurt, the government provide electricity so the overheads are kept to a minimum.
In Nigeria, the Hotel owners have to burn tons of diesel to keep their customers satisfied. Blame the Naija government.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Princek12(m): 1:06pm On Jun 24, 2010
You need to direct that sentiment to the government. Nigerian hotels are definitely not overpriced, even though for comparable services their prices are for the most part appreciably higher than prices of Western hotels, partly due to the fact that operational costs of Nigerian hotels are substantially higher than those of Western hotels.

Nigerian hotels, in order to maintain western standards such as stable light, uninterrupted clean hot and cold water, among others, have to install onsite water treatment plants, a back up generator against flickering electricity (plus another generator to backup the backup generator), and have to dig multiple deep water wells or boreholes just to pump water. On top of that, these generators have a voracious appetite for diesel, which is another substantial operational cost. That's the price to pay for doing business in Nigeria, and that which is passed on to the consumer; western hotels don't have to factor these costs into their expenses.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by denony(m): 1:15pm On Jun 24, 2010
they are way over-priced.
stop the light and water service addition, how can one pay 50k per night
almost $350.

what are they offering compared to the ones abroad who charge cheaper with everything served really well.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by oisehumen(m): 1:17pm On Jun 24, 2010
Story story! That's what we always say; we exploit innocent customers under the guise of poor electricity in Nigeria. Look at MTN and other GSM operators, they said they are charging high call rates because of power problems but the profit they make here is much more higher than what they make in other branches of various countries with stable power supply. So, what are we talking about here?

Admitted that power supply is horrible in this country; but the prices or rates charged by these hotels are outrageous.
Even with a very stable power supply, i bet these guys  will never reduce their rates.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Sauron1: 1:21pm On Jun 24, 2010
oisehumen:

Story story! That's what we always say; we exploit innocent customers under the guise of poor electricity in Nigeria. Look at MTN and other GSM operators, they said they are charging high call rates because of power problems but the profit they make here is much more higher than what they make in other branches of various countries with stable power supply. So, what are we talking about here?

Admitted that power supply is horrible in this country; but the prices or rates charged by these hotels are outrageous.
Even with a very stable power supply, i bet these guys  will never reduce their rates.

When you run a business, you'd understand better.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by canuck(m): 1:26pm On Jun 24, 2010
@ Topic

Overpriced? YESSSSS! At least 150% higher than a standard room at The Ritz, one of the world's most exclusive hotels!

Compared to the Hiltons, Sheratons, etc, at least 350% overpriced!

The gouging perpetuated by Nigerian hotels is methodical! The DEMAND of their target market (money-miss-road Nigerians and expatriates concerned about safety, etc) is basically INELASTIC. They will always have 85%+ occupancy rate because there are no alternatives.

I don't buy the "government this and that" talk. It adds premium no doubt, but it does not account for 350% differential! Come on!

And they pay employees peanuts! No serious pension scheme. No/Poor insurance, etc!

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by oisehumen(m): 1:27pm On Jun 24, 2010
Says who?
I run a biz that is dependent on generator, i understand too well and am talking from experience sir.

This a huge market in Nigeria, that automatically should reduce your selling price to some extent after covering your overheads.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by NaijaNaWaa: 1:28pm On Jun 24, 2010
Nigerian Hotels are the worst and the most expensive hotels I've seen in the world. To start with, our hotels are too local, poor architecture, bad decor, dirty and poor services. There're very few international hotels in Nigeria compared to even, ordinary, Ghana. In Abuja for instance, apart from Hilton and Sheraton the rest are local champions and yet more expensive than correct hotels elsewhere. Go to Kenya, Ghana, South Africa, Libya, Egypt, etc and see correct hotels.

Unlike other countries where you can access info on hotels (location, room rates, rating, booking, etc) online, Nija hotels have very little online presence and their phone numbers hardly work. So you must be physically present and pay cash to book accomodation.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by oisehumen(m): 1:31pm On Jun 24, 2010
NaijaNaWaa:

Nigerian Hotels are the worst and the most expensive hotels I've seen in the world. To start with, our hotels are too local, poor architecture, bad decor, dirty and poor services. There're very few international hotels in Nigeria compared to even, ordinary, Ghana. In Abuja for instance, apart from Hilton and Sheraton the rest are local champions and yet more expensive than correct hotels elsewhere. Go to Kenya, Ghana, South Africa, Libya, Egypt, etc and see correct hotels.

Unlike other countries where you can access info on hotels (location, room rates, rating, booking, etc) online, Nija hotels have very little online presence and their phone numbers hardly work. So you must be physically present and pay cash to book accomodation.

Please, say again to Sauron. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by raintree: 1:31pm On Jun 24, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Gosh, those are cut-throat room rates.  How many of us can afford to stay in such hotels like for a week?  I definitely won't waste that kind of money.  How is it possible to promote tourism with this kind of overpriced hotel accommodation?
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by canuck(m): 1:34pm On Jun 24, 2010
oisehumen:

Please, say again to Sauron. grin grin grin grin grin

People, please give ~Sauron~ a break! He probably thinks we're talking about "short time" motels!  grin  grin
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by oisehumen(m): 1:36pm On Jun 24, 2010
Nigerian entrepreneurs  will always have a thousand and one reasons why they will increase prices outrageously.

Where is Sauron?
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by canuck(m): 1:38pm On Jun 24, 2010
raintree:

Gosh, those are cut-throat room rates.  How many of us can afford to stay in such hotels like for a week?  I definitely won't waste that kind of money.  How is it possible to promote tourism with this kind of overpriced hotel accommodation?

Gbam!

I can head to Niagara Falls and stay at Sheraton (Fallsview) for less than US$160 a night - If try Federal Palace hotel (carpark view  wink), I will shell out almost US$500 in ONE night! OMG!

We forget that a nation's tourism is primarily stimulated by the local market, not just foreigners!
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by DisGuy: 1:39pm On Jun 24, 2010
They always hide under - power and water

THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS RUBBISH FOR THE MOST PART!!

most of them think the higher their price the higher their ratings, they dont want to be looked ast as being too cheap

Even small hotels that should cater for travellers charge like crazy!!
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by kokoye(m): 1:41pm On Jun 24, 2010
I support Sauron here.

Apart fro the basic ammenities like electricity n water, how many people patronize Nigerian hotels compared to the numbers who patronize hotels in Dubai and New York?? Not a lot I am sure.

In New York, a hotel services hundereds of guests per night . . i'm sure a Nigerian hotel may not have up to half of that. So the cost will be spread over the little clients they have of course, since no company wants to run at a loss.

Also think about the extra security Nigerian companies have to pay for.

The only think I cant stand is that these hotels or companies will NOT reduce their prices even when things get better.  angry

Now dont get me started on cstomer service . . it is non-existent in my country
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Sauron1: 1:44pm On Jun 24, 2010
NaijaNaWaa:

The country's basic amenities are terrible so how do you expect these hotels to thrive?
U are comparing Nigeria to South Africa and Ghana? Ghana celebrated 7 years of uninterrupted power supply and you think Naija hotels should be compared to Ghana and RSA? A bit of perspective, please.

canuck:

People, please give ~Sauron~ a break! He probably thinks we're talking about "short time" motels!  grin  grin

I don't think paying $480 per night in Eko Hotel is over-priced. . . . . The country is shyte. . . .
Amenities like Telephony, Internet, Electricity and even hot water are not GIVEN like the New York, Dubai and Paris.
These Hotels must meet up the required standards(what your shyte government cannot provide).
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Moves: 1:45pm On Jun 24, 2010
They are outrageously expensive; the electricity and water story doesn't cut it at all; I think compared to the west# employee wages & taxes definately evens out the overheads for nigerian hotels,

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by canuck(m): 1:45pm On Jun 24, 2010
@ Poster

Unless you're looking for NL's ever-colourful commentaries, please go to www.hotels.com, www.expedia.com, www.traveladvisor.com, etc for how Nigerian hotels compare with hotels around the world in price, matched with amenities.

Of course, Nigeria hotels have a poor Internet presence!

That's a better use of your time, if you want to research.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by oisehumen(m): 1:45pm On Jun 24, 2010
kokoye:

I support Sauron here.

Apart fro the basic ammenities like electricity n water, how many people patronize Nigerian hotels compared to the numbers who patronize hotels in Dubai and New York?? Not a lot I am sure.

In New York, a hotel services hundereds of guests per night . . i'm sure a Nigerian hotel may not have up to half of that. So the cost will be spread over the little clients they have of course, since no company wants to run at a loss.

The only think I cant stand is that these hotels or companies will NOT reduce their prices even when things get better.  angry

You don't live in Nigeria and you obviously not current with the happenings.
Come to Ikeja Airport Hotel for instance and see how many guests it services.

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by oisehumen(m): 1:47pm On Jun 24, 2010
You don't live in Nigeria and u are obviously not current with the happenings here.
Come to Ikeja Airprt Hotel for instance and see how many guests it services per day
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Sauron1: 1:48pm On Jun 24, 2010
Moves:

They are outrageously expensive; the electricity and water story doesn't cut it at all; I think compared to the west# employee wages & taxes definately evens out the overheads for nigerian hotels,

Employee wages ma WHITE ARSE.
Let the Labour Congress take that up. . . . . .Hotel Owners will not pay exorbitant wages to their staff because they generate mad funds.
They will pay according to the requirements demanded in the job market.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by oisehumen(m): 1:51pm On Jun 24, 2010
Labour Congress ke! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Please, don't let us start another topic here ooo because those guys there are rogues.
They are there for their pockets ONLy
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by canuck(m): 1:51pm On Jun 24, 2010
@ Kokoye

~Sauron~ does make good points, but they are insufficient to account for 350% pricing differential!!!!!

Chucking everything up to "government" is LAME!

By the time you factor in huge employee costs in the West versus the PEANUTS Nigerian hotels pay their slaves employees, it leaves me scratching my head in disbelief!
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by DisGuy: 1:53pm On Jun 24, 2010
kokoye:

I support Sauron here.

Thats because they are criminally over priced! they are shooting themselves in the foot by setting higher rates, even heard some only collect dollars if you want to book in advance!!!  shocked

If prices are fair many people will go away on weekend holidays, stay longer for out of state exams or training etc etc
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by canuck(m): 1:55pm On Jun 24, 2010
~Sauron~:

Employee wages ma WHITE ARSE.
Let the Labour Congress take that up. . . . . .Hotel Owners will not pay exorbitant wages to their staff because they generate mad funds.
They will pay according to the requirements demanded in the job market.

OK. Got it!

Nigerian hotels should pay salaries like employees live in a hell hole, BUT charge like guests are staying the night on Sauron Saturn!

I finally get it! cheesy
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Sauron1: 1:56pm On Jun 24, 2010
canuck:

@ Kokoye

~Sauron~ does make good points, but they are insufficient to account for 350% pricing differential!!!!!

[b]Chucking everything up to "government" is LAME!

By the time you factor in huge employee costs in the West versus the PEANUTS Nigerian hotels pay their slaves employees, it leaves me scratching my head in disbelief![/b]

If the government can provide electricity and portable water, that price will go down.
These Hotels run several generators to keep you satisfied. . . . . Somebody had to pay for that overheads.
And that somebody is YOU(the customer).

canuck:

OK. Got it!

Nigerian hotels should pay salaries like employees live in a hell hole, BUT charge like guests are staying the night on the Sauron Saturn!

I finally get it! cheesy

The wages of a security officer in a bank = the wages of a security officer in a Hotel.
What the 2 organisations make in revenue should have no bearing on the wages of their staff.
FACT remains a security officer is a security officer.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by oisehumen(m): 1:57pm On Jun 24, 2010
These hotels make good money.
I worked with a a popular hotel on the Island some years back as a Departmental  Head.

Yes, they spend so much on power supply and others, but the profit is still huge at the end of the day.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by PapaBrowne(m): 1:58pm On Jun 24, 2010
It is exploitation, simple and short. Five years ago, many of the hotels in VI charging 30k per night were charging around 7-10k per night. At that time they still used Generators as they do today. So lets cut the crap about diesel costs.

Look at that crap of a hotel in VI charging 58k per night.

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Sauron1: 1:59pm On Jun 24, 2010
oisehumen:

These hotels make good money.
I worked with a a popular hotel on the Island some years back as a Departmental  Head.

Yes, they spend so much on power supply and others, but the profit is still huge at the end of the day.

The profit is not HUGE. . . . . .They are heavily taxed by the government.
Phone bills, utility bills in general, etc.
Come on. . . . . . .

PapaBrowne:

It is exploitation, simple and short. Five years ago, many of the hotels in VI charging 30k per night were charging around 7-10k per night. At that time they still used Generators as they do today. So lets cut the crap about diesel costs.

Conveniently ignoring the INFLATION in Nigeria.
How much was a bottle of coke 5 years ago, how much is it now?
Get some perspective. . . . .
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Princek12(m): 1:59pm On Jun 24, 2010
Many people running their mouths here will be the same ones complaining if these hotels are minimally priced but their guests have to sleep in darkness or use a bucket and container to dispense water on their bodies when taking a shower rather than a standard shower dispenser.

There are definitely cheaper hotel options in Nigeria, but they do not offer the same amenities as the higher rated hotels. Diesel is expensive, me people, especially if you have to buy it at black market rates during a scarcity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Commercial Bus Razed Inside NNPC Filling Station In Lagos / Fuel Truck Explodes On Transit In Anambra (Photos) / A Pickup Truck Somersaults On Otedola Bridge In Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.