Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,155 members, 7,807,518 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money (4304 Views)

‘I Never Went To University’ – Billionaire Alakija Admits / Pls Guys Which Course Will Some One Read In University To Become A Stock Brocker / Ahmadu Bello University To Create The Most Sophisticated Campus Network In Niger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by blessingho: 7:17pm On Jun 20, 2010
[b]Do one really need to go to the university to make money?[/b]

This has been a very alarming problem to my brain overtime; but one thing I just discovered is this:- Celebrated Bill Gate, Steven Spelberg, Jeff Buzos are all university dropouts but had one philosophy, which is, DISCOVER A PROBLEM & SOLVE IT.

Then If I may ask, What stops every human Nigerian From Making Money?

It is open to the forum to delibrate.

Yours forumite,
Blessingho.
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by dipotech: 11:32am On Jun 22, 2010
Welldone. You are very correct but here in Nigeria people lack focuss, the environment is hostile and never conducive, no infrastructures, the right people are not wanted but man no man. All these factors have been hindering Nigerians to survive. Though, we have some rugged guys who are still surviving despite all the impossibilities around but are very few compared with our populations, that is why Nigerians are surviving in another countries. I don't want to doubt our briliiancy but the factors mentioned above has been causing 'katakata'
Thank you
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by nomoneydow: 3:30pm On Jun 29, 2010
the problem with nigerian education system is that they did not teach you how to make money but how to work for money

we need an education system whereby kids shall be taught entrepreneurship for as 10 years old

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jun 29, 2010
The white people sold the idea of white colour jobs,and the government did not ajust to real situation on ground,they dont encourage ideas,innovation,and blue colour jobs.In Nigeria if somebody says he his a plumber,they look at him as a not to important person,but plumbers are one of the highest paying jobs in europe.Those are developed countries.If you look at it we will continue to cosume for life.Phones,cars,planes,ship,toothpick,shoes,bags,cloths,thank God say obj banned water,some people dont drink Nigerian water before.

Nigeria cannot produce milk for its citizen ,we import milk and it is processed or powdered milk.With all the cows in North,No milk ,white people dominate milk business in Nigeria.

I always drink fresh milk when i travel ,its not difficult technology,just give the cows special food to produce milk simple.What about phone,People in advanced country careless about phones,in nigeria ,it is status symbol.

Inshort the black man as a problem joo
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jun 30, 2010
@ poster, the answer is Big NO cool
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by Mhmd(m): 6:01pm On Jun 30, 2010
We are good at it,swallow any foreign culture or tech completely,the essence of our modern day educational system was to create employees for the entrepreneurs and not to become entrepreneurs and as you can see it is working perfectly because i see no reason why you will spend over 20 years of your life in the so called school and still be involved in the rat race.
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by netiq(m): 1:47pm On Jul 01, 2010
I think  this is a very interesting topic.

The truth is you actually don't need to go to University to be rich.
The major reason most people don't make money or get rich is
because they lack the two most vital ingredients. Which are;

a). Knowledge and
b). Courage.

Knowledge
Haven't you observed that there are people who went to the best schools
with the best grades but still can't make ends meet?

Also note that you may be a graduate or well educated in a field but totally
ignorant in another area. So, if you want to make money in an area you have
little or no information about, you are bound to fail.

Courage
Most people are afraid of failure. They keep procrastinating because they 
feel they may not succeed in the venture they intend to start. Thereby,
creating a self sabotaging mechanism.

See you at the top
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by netiq(m): 2:31pm On Jul 01, 2010
@ 7Ebubenna,

It's obvious you did not digest the heading of this
topic before adding your advert.

You've just showed that you know very little about
how the Internet and forum(s) work. That is what we are
talking about.

Please, get informed because I want you to be successful.
No hard feelings.
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by Emmerlee(m): 11:41pm On Jul 03, 2010
@topic, it will be lame to believe that university degree automatically equals making money,

There just doesn't appear to be any obvious relationship between formal education and strong business acumen. In fact, going by historical anticidents, it seems that money making qualities are simply inate and does not depend on university or whatever degree. Besides, over 90% of individuals do not go to school to learn how to make money but to study science and arts.

1 Like

Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by kcjazz(m): 5:44am On Jul 04, 2010
To answer your question, what is the difference between education,schooling and learning?

Bill Gates for instance had access to mega computers in his early life (Read Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers) University education is not about paper as we have been programmed to think of it. You go to develop your mind Even a legend like FELA went to music school in order to perfect his trade. As a student I never read for the grades. Did I make 1st class? No, but I learnt alot that gives me the needed tool to succeed and everyday am still learning.

I don't need a university degree to learn about the restaurant business if my dad owns a successful restaurant. No amount of degree will impact the hands on experience I get at the restaurant

My point is you do not need a degree but you need to be good at something, have deep knowledge of it, just have the vision and courage to ship it out. Bill Gates,Jeff Bezos all saw what professors couldn't see
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by topup: 3:30am On Jul 05, 2010
I definitely don't believe that you need to go to university to make money. For Nigerians of today looking to become business people or high-earners, you have to discover a niche market, there is a lot of space for such as industries are still growing and finding their feet.

This is a perfect time to really invest and follow your instincts.

I think what matters more than being 'book smart' is being 'street smart'. Know how people work, what they need and how they want it to be given to them, then work out how you are going to make it happen. For many ingenious people it is the capital that is difficult to raise, but for some rich non-ingenious people, it is the know-how and the business-savy attitude that is lacking.

Also, perfectly said by the posters above me.

To be a business person you need to be accustomed to taking risks, you need to take risks to gain most things life, and Nigerian parents don't ever encourage taking risks, tv presenters, singers, journalists etc are all special people, who took risks to do jobs that they probably weren't encouraged to do. I know most Nigerians want-ed their children to become doctors, bankers, teachers and jobs that you have to work under a union or a main employer - and our history shows that we've not encouraged such roles either - but with the business thing, it is usually those who have no other option or are in the right place or at the right that do it, it's not something highly encouraged.

I don't think this is a bad thing though, Nigerians are very smart people, we're starting to see the light in media, entertainment, branding and industry and I believe many are shifting towards innovation. I believe if there was a national push towards business there would be a lot of people who lacked commitment undertaking the risks and maybe a lot of people would become bankrupt too - just what we don't need, more people in poverty.
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by OOLUSOGA(m): 4:10am On Jul 05, 2010
[/b]Hi this is a nice topic. not that you must have a degree before you can make it in life. One thing is this God own everything either you are a graduate or not God has a plan for you.
However, it is better that you have at least SSS3 certificate with this you will be able to communicate with your potential clients and also it will help you to make some right decision when it comes to decision making. because i will like to tell you that if you are illiterate though you will still make it but not much because some people will not give job just because of lack of education.
therefore, i will advice that the person must at least has SSS3 Certficate.[b]
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by NAIRAJET: 2:55pm On Jul 06, 2010
hi Forumite,

not at all, 85% of the richest men in the world (check Forbes list) are college drop-outs

some of them even in Nigeria here, Aliko Dangote, Dantata, etc to mention just

Wealth is a matter of mind and how you apply what u know or see around you, thats all!

takia
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by jay0309(m): 5:38pm On Jul 06, 2010
no but ur head
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by nabiz(m): 7:42pm On Jul 07, 2010
what i want you to know is that ENUCATION IS NOT AN END BUT ONE OF THE RESOURCES OF ACHIEVING AN END. What brings money is the content of your character.
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by bigworld: 1:37am On Jul 08, 2010
no, but u might need it to boost your rep(so far you can back it up)
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by monopolist: 5:23pm On Jul 08, 2010
Thinking, not schooling is the way to find solution to problems.

Info must mix with Rev for a thinker to solve a known problem.

To be rich and wealthy you must be a deep-thinker and a go-getter.

A recent research says majority of Africans use their minds on immunities at the expense of intelligence

Many People are thinking of how and what to eat now, now, only a few are thinking of making money as a reward for solving human hunger problem.

Going to the university is to expose you to old problems and then point the way to a likely old solution to those old problems.

I believe APPRENTICESHIP + UNIVERSITY is better.

University is the foundation while Apprentiship is the building
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by surveycash(m): 4:51pm On Jul 09, 2010
Our education system is devoid of financial education which makes most of lack financial intelligence.
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by Jencejyde(m): 3:15pm On Jul 11, 2010
smartmoney:

Well the first answer to your question is in your question.
Nigerians like you and i have refused to discover a problem and profer solution to them.

now basically, its not like everybody should be drop outs. Education is not in finish the university or even the high school. But in education of the mind.

Who told you Bill Gate does not have education. He has made an investment in his personality and ofcourse in his mind.

Iam a Nigerian. sometimes stay in Nigeria as well. But i have also chosen to take positive advantage of the internet for global benefit.
I now stay home and make money. But sadly enough lazy guys even in this room still objects to making money online and asking Seun to bann money making topics in this room simply cos some of us are chickens and turkeys in our minds who have not realize that internet is the way to wealth.
find out stuffs you can take advantage of from

http://www.smartalozie.net

Well said!
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by teeepeee1(m): 1:03pm On Jul 12, 2010
Hi every1, i just gained admission into a private uni (redeemers university) and just dont want to go there like every oda student. What are the things i can do during my stay there that will make my name last long on the stone of time, be it bussiness or any other suggestion.

Pls will apprecaite ideas, Tanx
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by helpee2: 3:05pm On Jul 15, 2010
No but university education is an added advantage. It liberates you and removes any complex, whether inferiority or superiority. In Nigeria, there are many uneducated millionaires that money alone cannot support their personalities. I know you won't want to be like that. Bill Gates for example did not drop out because of inability to cope with academic work or lack of finance. in fact, he was bored because he made As in his courses and he had a beautiful idea that couldn't wait until graduation. There is a difference between a genius and an ordinary human being.

However, some disadvantages of university education are: it creates a class which sometimes precludes one from certain businesses, you think methodologically which is at variance with street intelligence that brings in money, it is mainly job oriented and job doesn't bring wealth except few industries like Oil & Gas, Banking, Telecomms, etc. and most of all it makes you skeptical of mouth watering business opportunities.

In synopsis, make money but also get university education. It is even more enjoyable when you make money before going further. Remember you need to be liberated socially.
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by stevad(m): 3:15pm On Jul 17, 2010
education is not reason for success but an instrument to handle every cases using precedent, forecast and application of knowledge acquired.

dear brother, there are lot of illitrate that are doing fine but there is higher tendency to do better if educated.
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by consultmartins(m): 2:01am On Aug 15, 2010
Rasaq Okoya, a highly respected Nigerian entrepreneur and founder of the Eleganza Group pulled his son out from university during second year and this is what he had to say about it.

"I have nothing against education. But at times, education gives people false confidence. It makes people relax, trusting in the power of their certificates rather than in working hard." - Rasaq Okoya

Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by victor08(m): 10:31pm On Aug 16, 2010
nope u don't need it.
u need to wisdom, smartness and little hardwork
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by JesusloveU: 8:06pm On Aug 17, 2010
;d
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by zogo(m): 12:29am On Mar 22, 2011
going to university is quite okey, as it really creates some form of global conciousness and awareness, but its not the only yardstick for money making.

Two things have made people money over the years, - not university, but IDEAS and ACTIONS

I will see you @ the top!
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by monopolist: 11:56am On Mar 22, 2011
Good to go to School. Good to go to the University.

It exercises and stretches your BRAIN to be productive and creative. Helps your Thinking faculty.
It builds up your vocabulary and diction in readiness to communicate your vision to the World.
It shows you how to be Free for Life or how to be a Slave for life.
It helps your Human relationship as you relate to different kinds and breeds of human beings on Campus.
It launches you into Global Competitiveness. Survival of the fittest.
It gives you a level of boldness in Society.
It gives you a hedge over others.
Its a form of LEVERAGE
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by beloveeed: 8:07am On Mar 23, 2011
@kcjazz
[size=15pt]To answer your question, what is the difference between education,schooling and learning?[/size]

Truely u touched something but u did not explain the difference between the 3.

Education is acquiring [b]just [/b]knowledge
schooling is [b]going thru [/b]school
learning is knowing + [b]able [/b]to apply

hope it makes sense!!!
Re: Do You Need To Go To University To Make Money by Goldinfo: 6:28pm On Mar 24, 2011
i think it is a very relevant and good question for debate. Well my own opinion why nigerians dont make the effort to make money is becos of three reasons:
1. They are simply lazy mentally
2. They are lazy readers and so find it hard to access the needed information to succeed.
3. Most are incompetent intellectually: they want everything prepared for them, instead of working with theinformation they have on hand to access other information.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Government Is Seeking Diversifying Stock Market Instruments / Who Has Realy Earned Frm Surveys? Be Sincere / Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.