Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,014 members, 7,806,968 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution (1034 Views)

Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. / Niger-Delta Group Condemns Tompolo's Acquisition Of War Ships. / Group Condemns Endorsement Of Mark For 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by AloyEmeka5: 9:39pm On Jun 20, 2010
[size=14pt]
Group condemns order for prisoners’ execution
[/size]
By Ini Ekott and Ifedayo Adebayo
June 18, 2010 01:03AM

A human rights group has condemned a recent federal government order that states can execute prisoners on death row as part of a fresh attempt to decongest terribly crowded prisons across the country.

The Legal Defence Assistance Project (LEDAP), which has promoted campaign against capital punishment, said the mandate given by the National Economic Council on Tuesday that states begin to endorse death warrants, represents its “insensitivity.”

“LEDAP condemns in its entirety the council’s pronouncement and their insensitivity by resolving to embark on signing execution warrants,” the group said in a release signed by its National Coordinator, Chino Obiagwu, yesterday.

LEDAP argued that the execution of about 820 prisoners currently on death row in the country, can hardly be significant enough to de-crowd a prison population estimated at over 45,000.

“Can executing a mere 820 people decongest prisons? The congestion of prisons in Nigeria is caused by the delay in processing and prosecution of cases of prisoners on awaiting trials, which is about 72% of the total prison inmates in Nigeria,” LEDAP said.

The government’s resolution was arrived at the council’s meeting chaired by the vice president, Namadi Sambo on June 15, 2010, in a renewed government effort at reducing population number of inmates in various prisons.

[img]http://1.bp..com/_u3lFqBksmrE/TB018GwVHsI/AAAAAAAAfSE/VCjl-1ORFd4/s1600/prison-africa001.jpg[/img]

Speed up trials

The council said the cases will be reviewed to determine those who should face execution, and those to be sentenced or pardoned depending on the enormity of crimes held for. Human Rights organizations have said majority of the inmates are awaiting trial and have remained held for years by a strenuous and sluggish judicial process in the country.

Executing the few death convicts, they say, will do little to clear the prisons but at the same time will hamper the image of Nigeria at a time countries are encouraged to dump the capital punishment.

Although formally Nigeria had not ratified the United Nations treaty to discontinue the practice, official executions have not been carried out for years.

The Group however called “for an overhaul of the criminal justice system, implementation of the recommendations of the National Study Group on Death Penalty which was set up by the Federal Government in 2003, the establishment of pre-detention centers and new prisons for awaiting trial persons and convicts, the fast-tracking of prosecution and justice delivery system, the re-training of police and judicial personnel.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5582261-146/group_condemns_order_for_prisoners_execution.csp
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by EzeUche(m): 9:48pm On Jun 20, 2010
Kill criminals to make more space. I have no problem with this.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by Nobody: 1:40am On Jun 21, 2010
I'm against taking another person's life. Even tho I cant come up with a better project to get rid of these prisoners, I still dont support their execution.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by EzeUche(m): 3:40am On Jun 21, 2010
FL Gators:

I'm against taking another person's life. Even tho I cant come up with a better project to get rid of these prisoners, I still dont support their execution.

I wouldn't expect you as a woman to support execution. Your emotions get in the way. Only us men have the stomach for this.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by Nobody: 3:49am On Jun 21, 2010
EzeUche:

I wouldn't expect you as a woman to support execution. Your emotions get in the way. Only us men have the stomach for this.
Lol look at this boy, I already told you that you're yet to become a man.
And I'm sure like myself, Aloy.Emeka does not support the execution process being proposed [even tho he might try to deny it because he currently e-hates me]
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by EzeUche(m): 4:21am On Jun 21, 2010
FL Gators:

Lol look at this boy, I already told you that you're yet to become a man.
And I'm sure like myself, Aloy.Emeka does not support the execution process being proposed [even tho he might try to deny it because he currently e-hates me]

Yet, to become a man? I am all man. My cojones dropped and you could check. wink

There is nothing wrong with executing the criminal elements of our society. They are a drain on our society, just like the politicians.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by Nobody: 4:37am On Jun 21, 2010
Do  I look like your typical Yoruba check you supposedly dated? Watch you language. Conjone ko cologne ni. 22yrs old s still a baby.

There is nothing wrong with executing the criminal elements of our society. They are a drain on our society, just like the politicians.
cant argue wth the bolded part. instead of executing them, we can adopt the kind of system US endorses. We can put them to work. All the rubbish and dirt in Lagos can be cleaned up by these criminals, while under heavy surveillance.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by EzeUche(m): 5:13am On Jun 21, 2010
FL Gators:

Do  I look like your typical Yoruba check you supposedly dated? Watch you language. Conjone ko cologne ni. 22yrs old s still a baby.
cant argue wth the bolded part. instead of executing them, we can adopt the kind of system US endorses. We can put them to work. All the rubbish and dirt in Lagos can be cleaned up by these criminals, while under heavy surveillance.

Well you do look like a typical Yoruba chick though. Remember that I told you to respect your elders. And I will not tolerate those sly remarks from you my dear.

They should only be put to death. All you need is one bullet. Drain on a society should be eliminated.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by Nobody: 5:23am On Jun 21, 2010
EzeUche:

Well you do look like a typical Yoruba chick though. Remember that I told you to respect your elders. And I will not tolerate those sly remarks from you my dear.
rotfl. I understand, you still think you're talkng to SEFAGO grin You will not tolerate? lol cute, very cute.

You're heartless. . . . and that's not even funny. Tryng to be macho when t's not even necessary. Some of these criminals were unjustly convcted and most of their crimes do not deserve the punishment of execution. Even if they're executed, nothing will be solved because they're the victims of a victimized society. We all know who the real suspects are. More crmnals wll sprout out.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by EzeUche(m): 5:36am On Jun 21, 2010
FL Gators:

rotfl. I understand, you still think you're talkng to SEFAGO grin You will not tolerate? lol cute, very cute.

You're heartless. . . . and that's not even funny. Tryng to be macho when t's not even necessary. Some of these criminals were unjustly convcted and most of their crimes do not deserve the punishment of execution. Even if they're executed, nothing will be solved because they're the victims of a victimized society. We all know who the real suspects are. More crmnals wll sprout out.

SEFAGO knows his place. Now you on the other hand is too smart for your own good. Yes, I will not tolerate it from you.

I am not trying to be funny, I am dead serious. No need to be macho, this is how I feel. We are too easy on these criminals. In my home state of Abia, they are even giving amnesty to kidnappers. The only amnesty I would give these kidnappers is a free grave once they are executed.

You say nothing will be solved? Of course something will be solved, it will help alleviate the prison system. Create more space. And I have no problem in using criminals who commit petty crime for labor. Create some form of a chain gang.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by Nobody: 5:42am On Jun 21, 2010
EzeUche:

SEFAGO knows his place. Now you on the other hand is too smart for your own good. Yes, I will not tolerate it from you.
Do you know me at all? undecided Tolerate? lol
It's okay, I vow to not disrespect you, if you return the favor. I'll excuse your "tolerate" ths once tho

Create more space. And I have no problem in using criminals who commit petty crime for labor. Create some form of a chain gang.
dont care for all the bla bla bla you just wrote above, you heartless boy. But As long as we both agree on sth. I dont want another person's blood on my hands.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by EzeUche(m): 5:46am On Jun 21, 2010
FL Gators:

Do you know me at all? undecided Tolerate? lol
It's okay, I vow to not disrespect you, if you return the favor. I'll excuse your "tolerate" ths once tho

Seems like you have learned some things from the Black American girls. Do not like male authority I see.  undecided

I always say to leave Naija girls in Naija, because you all do not know how to behave yourselves when you all come yankee.

Give us men heartache. But in Naija, everything is good.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by Nobody: 5:51am On Jun 21, 2010
EzeUche:

Seems like you have learned some things from the Black American girls. Do not like male authority I see.  undecided

I always say to leave Naija girls in Naija, because you all do not know how to behave yourselves when you all come yankee.

Give us men heartache. But in Naija, everything is good.
No,  dnt deal well wth authority from any man. Even my S-dad eats outta my hands. Learn closely, we'll get along someday. Dont worry grin

it has nothing to do with coming to yanks, its me, period.

You're not perfect yourself. Dont command me, igbo boy man.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by EzeUche(m): 5:54am On Jun 21, 2010
FL Gators:

No,  dnt deal well wth authority from any man. Even my S-dad eats outta my hands. Learn closely, we'll get along someday. Dont worry grin

it has nothing to do with coming to yanks, its me, period.

You're not perfect yourself. Dont command me, igbo boy man.

Chei! You need to be broken in! angry I have run into your type on countless occasions. Especially from the black American girls, but it feels so good to "train" you all. Maybe I should teach you to respect my authority.

That is what they all say, it has everything to do with you coming to yankee. PERIOD!

Never said I am perfect, but I will speak my mind Yoruba gal.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by Nobody: 5:57am On Jun 21, 2010
I'm not a dog, what your language.

teach me to respect your authority? Do you even hear yourself? grin grin

LOL! I'd loff to see you try.

I'm also speaking my mind, or do I not have the right? You're too stubborn undecided
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by EzeUche(m): 5:59am On Jun 21, 2010
FL Gators:

I'm not a dog, what your language.

teach me to respect your authority? Do you even hear yourself? grin grin

LOL! I'd loff to see you try.

I'm also speaking my mind, or do I not have the right? You're too stubborn  undecided

No, you aren't a dog, but you need some training. Nothing wrong with being broken in. Men like women who are not too feral and can't be tamed. Right now you are wild, but can be tamed.

I hear myself loud and clear, so do you hear me.

Of course you would like to see me try, because you know I can.

You speak when spoken too. lol grin
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by Nobody: 6:03am On Jun 21, 2010
Aloy.Emeka, come and save me.

Uchenna, before I slap the sleeping pills out of you. . . . beg for my forgiveness ths mnute! mtcheewww

You're the only one thatz hearing yourself.

You cant and you wont.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by EzeUche(m): 6:09am On Jun 21, 2010
FL Gators:

Aloy.Emeka, come and save me.

Uchenna, before I slap the sleeping pills out of you. . . . beg for my forgiveness ths mnute! mtcheewww

You're the only one thatz hearing yourself.

You cant and you wont.

Me listen to you? Ha! I laugh in Ibibiio!

Funny girl. . . I am willing to give you training lessons for free. Normally I charge by the hour.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by Nobody: 6:13am On Jun 21, 2010
EzeUche:

Me listen to you? Ha! I laugh in Ibibiio!

Funny girl. . . I am willing to give you training lessons for free. Normally I charge by the hour.
It's alrght to be macho on the internet.

If na face2face, you'd be on all four groveling for my affection and forgiveness.

NL gives one power and confidence, I've noticed.

Lol training lessons for free? *pulls hm by the ear* go and grab your paper and pencil, lemme teach you a few things about respecting women
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by EzeUche(m): 6:21am On Jun 21, 2010
FL Gators:

It's alrght to be macho on the internet.

If na face2face, you'd be on all four groveling for my affection and forgiveness.

NL gives one power and confidence, I've noticed.

Lol training lessons for free? *pulls hm by the ear* go and grab your paper and pencil, lemme teach you a few things about respecting women

Do I look like sjeezy? The internet does not need to give me power, my amazing physique is what gives me power!

God has crafted a sculpture in the image of me. grin

I would have you eating out of my palms. Literally. . .

Yes, I said training for FREE! I do not make this offer to anyone and this is a one time deal.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by Nobody: 6:26am On Jun 21, 2010
EzeUche:

Do I look like sjeezy? The internet does not need to give me power, my amazing physique is what gives me power!

God has crafted a sculpture in the image of me. grin

I would have you eating out of my palms. Literally. . .

Yes, I said training for FREE! I do not make this offer to anyone and this is a one time deal.
All three of you sha:

Sjeezy thinks he's Adonis/Hercules, #1 casanova
You think you're the lades man, prolly the sexiest man on [b]your [/b]planet
SEFAGO thinks he's smarter than Einstein.

rotfl, delusions grin

I dont need to be trained, sorry. Now, if you're asking me to train you, I might reconsider.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by AloyEmeka5: 6:57am On Jun 21, 2010
What is going on between Ezeuche and Flagator?. I smell love in Tokyo here o. How mistaken I was thinking that Ezeuche will rather prefer tpia since Mekusxx told me that he likes women old enough to be his mother. Mekus must be lying.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by Nobody: 7:04am On Jun 21, 2010
FL Gators:

save yourself some energy.most culprits of capital offence have taken atleast a human life and since you dont have a bettter option to deal with a man that took the life of another,i'll suggest that the status quo be maintained.if you dont wanna die,dont do crime.
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by NET1(m): 5:21pm On Jun 21, 2010
Let me give you a near-clear picture of the situation:

There are over 40,000 (Forty Thousand) prisoners all over the country.

Out of this number, over 18,000 have not been to court. This means that they have not even been tried.

Still out of the 40,000 only about 800 are on DEATH ROW.

How does the execution of about 800 people de-congest the prisons in Nigeria? 40,000 minus 800 = 39200. Still a large number. I really dont know who gave Jonathan this advice, but whoever that person is, I think he is a jackass.

My advice (in fact, a popular suggestion):

BUILD more prisons across Nigeria. Transfer the inmates from highly congested prisons to newer ones.
Take the over 18000 untried cases to COURT.
Allow the DEATHROW inmates to appeal their cases; in view of getting fair, unbiased verdicts.
Commute DEATH Sentences to LIFE Sentences. Most developed countries (especially in Europe) have abolished CAPITAL punishment.

.NET
Re: Group Condemns Order For Prisoners’ Execution by AloyEmeka5: 5:26pm On Jun 21, 2010
.NET:

Let me give you a near-clear picture of the situation:

There are over 40,000 (Forty Thousand) prisoners all over the country.

Out of this number, over 18,000 have not been to court. This means that they have not even been tried.

Still out of the 40,000 only about 800 are on DEATH ROW.

How does the execution of about 800 people de-congest the prisons in Nigeria? 40,000 minus 800 = 39200. Still a large number. I really dont know who gave Jonathan this advice, but whoever that person is, I think he is a jackass.

My advice (in fact, a popular suggestion):

BUILD more prisons across Nigeria. Transfer the inmates from highly congested prisons to newer ones.
Take the over 18000 untried cases to COURT.
Allow the DEATHROW inmates to appeal their cases; in view of getting fair, unbiased verdicts.
Commute DEATH Sentences to LIFE Sentences. Most developed countries (especially in Europe) have abolished CAPITAL punishment.

.NET

Gbam.

(1) (Reply)

Ibb Backs Out Of 2011! / 2011: Igbo Leaders Reaffirm Support For Jonathan / Chief Justice Asked Me To Compromise Sokoto Guber Petition –justice Salami …sues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.