Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,859 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:42 AM

Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes (15489 Views)

What To Do When Your Car Shakes / Grinding Noise In A Car - These Are Some Likely Reasons / Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by AutoReportNG: 8:12pm On Aug 08, 2018
At times when you put on the ignition of a car, one notices some abnormal shaking, it gets so bad when one is on motion and you are forced to park and get the cause. Well for those who seem to be having this issues, these are some likely reasons. While this may be an educational post, we still advise the service of a professional personnel to check the vehicle.

Who hasn’t witnessed a shimmy and shaky car once in their lifetime? Almost every car owner had gone through such a situation when they so shook that they felt just like enjoying a ride in an amusement park. Besides, you might be thinking, “why does my car shake when I turn it on?” Well, there is a reason behind your car shaking every time you turn it on.

Understanding the real reasons behind such behavior of your car can save you from standing clueless in the middle of nowhere. So, in case, your car shakes when starting, it is always better to know the reasons in advance to avoid any dilemma later on.

Why does my Car shake when I turn it on? Uncovering the reasons

There are a few reasons that can lead to car shaking as soon as you turn it on. Why not explore it here.

1. Engine Plight

[img]https://4.bp..com/-ebGUJMCxffg/W2s0b3I6j4I/AAAAAAAAT3g/trnu7JcdS_MHL8TLAEgakzbqv5sQXQDHACEwYBhgL/s640/motor5.jpg[/img]

The next time you think that why does my car shake when I turn it on, it could be an engine problem, possibly. Issues in the engine can make the car tremble. Yes, the engine compartment can emit the tremble or the shake. Maybe it’s not getting the appropriate amount of air, spark, or fuel to run smoothly. Symptoms that can signal you about the engine issues are a jerk while accelerating the car or may run fine for a while, and then begin to shake. When this happens, either you will have to buy a new spark plug or swap out those dirty filters to install a new one.

2. Brake Issues

[img]https://1.bp..com/-cjXfNEYqHRg/W2s0zZQSH1I/AAAAAAAAT3s/QGuuzpEkjx0XEfXw2-zQSiUg5to55CAgwCLcBGAs/s640/Brake-disc-and-caliper.jpg[/img]

Have you inspected warped brake rotors recently? Well, if not, then this could be the right time to check it, in case your car shakes when starting. Even brake problems can lead to a shaking car. The rotor is silver and shiny round shaped component that one can find in the disc brake system installed vehicles. Heavy wear and tear can affect its original shape, making it appear and work inappropriately.

When it is not in shape, it will probably be mounted from the surface. The original shape of the rotors is flat, which if damaged can lead to intensified vibrations in your car. Brake rotors are compressed with the calipers and the brake pads, leading to the vibration in your car. Hence, a proper check of brake and rotors on time can help.

3. Imbalanced Car Wheels

[img]https://3.bp..com/--fLKqEJJFUY/W2s0kjBrW2I/AAAAAAAAT3k/lV5Nq_FyRHMydVTo-u5QP_zbJxME0D-3wCLcBGAs/s1600/tire-steering-wheel-vibration.JPG[/img]

Generally, a shaking car means there is some trouble in the tires. But, most of us don’t realize that the issue could also be on the wheels of the vehicle. Sometimes, it isn’t the tires, but the wheels that cause your car to tremble. In such case, inspect for any clay or mud stuck to the wheels, which can be reached just by turning the wheels of the car.

If those metal squares have something like dirt or mud stuck inside it, then consider it the right time to clean it to get of vibrating cars. Mud stuck there unbalances the wheels, which leads to a shaken car. So, clean the wheels from every side to maintain the balance.

Conclusion

We hope that you might have got the answer to your question, which was why does my car shake when I turn it on. So, why not apply these tips in advance to get rid of all these reasons behind a trembling car before it actually happens.

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2018/08/here-are-some-likely-reasons-why-your.html

[img]https://1.bp..com/-1qDOvldDQZE/W2s2eT8FT7I/AAAAAAAAT38/gJemWtVbLdc2l6bDEbR9S1TvqFCausbAACLcBGAs/s640/the_shaking_car.png[/img]

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by AutoReportNG: 8:13pm On Aug 08, 2018
Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 08, 2018
Legbegbe cars on fleek!

6 Likes

Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by Cathtom(f): 8:30pm On Aug 08, 2018
angry
Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by handsomeyinka(m): 8:31pm On Aug 08, 2018
..Even thinking about Buhari will still make your car shake..

5 Likes

Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by SmartToyota(m): 8:32pm On Aug 08, 2018
On point! We needn't add more.

Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by OboOlora(f): 8:33pm On Aug 08, 2018
Quite informative !

The major reason, especially in Nigeria is that no 3. A lot of car users underestimate the need to align tires and balance wheels regularly. I’m not even sure most know the difference.

Op, please add inadequate tire pressure too. Most car owners don’t know the adequate pressure for their car tires. They just tell Vulcanizer, ‘e ba mi fe 40 sinu e’ even when it’s a weak Tokunbo tire with expired date!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by asawanathegreat(m): 8:33pm On Aug 08, 2018
You deserves some accolade.
Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by rowland545(m): 8:33pm On Aug 08, 2018
handsomeyinka:
..Even thinking about Buhari will still make your car shake..
hahahahahhaah its true I've noticed this
Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by RealNaijaQuin: 8:34pm On Aug 08, 2018
I never get car nah grin

Check my signature guys shocked
Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by datola: 8:34pm On Aug 08, 2018
Correct!
Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by samisj4real(m): 8:34pm On Aug 08, 2018
Even Nigeria itself has been shaking since Buhari took over.
Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by agabusta: 8:36pm On Aug 08, 2018
AutoReportNG:
At times when you put on the ignition of a car, one notices some abnormal shaking, it gets so bad when one is on motion and you are forced to park and get the cause. Well for those who seem to be having this issues, these are some likely reasons. While this may be an educational post, we still advise the service of a professional personnel to check the vehicle.

Who hasn’t witnessed a shimmy and shaky car once in their lifetime? Almost every car owner had gone through such a situation when they so shook that they felt just like enjoying a ride in an amusement park. Besides, you might be thinking, “why does my car shake when I turn it on?” Well, there is a reason behind your car shaking every time you turn it on.

Understanding the real reasons behind such behavior of your car can save you from standing clueless in the middle of nowhere. So, in case, your car shakes when starting, it is always better to know the reasons in advance to avoid any dilemma later on.

There are a few reasons that can lead to car shaking as soon as you turn it on. Why not explore it here.

1. Engine Plight

[img]https://4.bp..com/-ebGUJMCxffg/W2s0b3I6j4I/AAAAAAAAT3g/trnu7JcdS_MHL8TLAEgakzbqv5sQXQDHACEwYBhgL/s640/motor5.jpg[/img]

The next time you think that why does my car shake when I turn it on, it could be an engine problem, possibly. Issues in the engine can make the car tremble. Yes, the engine compartment can emit the tremble or the shake. Maybe it’s not getting the appropriate amount of air, spark, or fuel to run smoothly. Symptoms that can signal you about the engine issues are a jerk while accelerating the car or may run fine for a while, and then begin to shake. When this happens, either you will have to buy a new spark plug or swap out those dirty filters to install a new one.

2. Brake Issues

[img]https://1.bp..com/-cjXfNEYqHRg/W2s0zZQSH1I/AAAAAAAAT3s/QGuuzpEkjx0XEfXw2-zQSiUg5to55CAgwCLcBGAs/s640/Brake-disc-and-caliper.jpg[/img]

Have you inspected warped brake rotors recently? Well, if not, then this could be the right time to check it, in case your car shakes when starting. Even brake problems can lead to a shaking car. The rotor is silver and shiny round shaped component that one can find in the disc brake system installed vehicles. Heavy wear and tear can affect its original shape, making it appear and work inappropriately.

When it is not in shape, it will probably be mounted from the surface. The original shape of the rotors is flat, which if damaged can lead to intensified vibrations in your car. Brake rotors are compressed with the calipers and the brake pads, leading to the vibration in your car. Hence, a proper check of brake and rotors on time can help.

3. Imbalanced Car Wheels

[img]https://3.bp..com/--fLKqEJJFUY/W2s0kjBrW2I/AAAAAAAAT3k/lV5Nq_FyRHMydVTo-u5QP_zbJxME0D-3wCLcBGAs/s1600/tire-steering-wheel-vibration.JPG[/img]

Generally, a shaking car means there is some trouble in the tires. But, most of us don’t realize that the issue could also be on the wheels of the vehicle. Sometimes, it isn’t the tires, but the wheels that cause your car to tremble. In such case, inspect for any clay or mud stuck to the wheels, which can be reached just by turning the wheels of the car.

If those metal squares have something like dirt or mud stuck inside it, then consider it the right time to clean it to get of vibrating cars. Mud stuck there unbalances the wheels, which leads to a shaken car. So, clean the wheels from every side to maintain the balance.

Conclusion

We hope that you might have got the answer to your question, which was why does my car shake when I turn it on. So, why not apply these tips in advance to get rid of all these reasons behind a trembling car before it actually happens.

Source:

[img]https://1.bp..com/-1qDOvldDQZE/W2s2eT8FT7I/AAAAAAAAT38/gJemWtVbLdc2l6bDEbR9S1TvqFCausbAACLcBGAs/s640/the_shaking_car.png[/img]

What of engine and transmission mounts?? Can't they also be responsible for shaking and vibration?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by oglalasioux(m): 8:36pm On Aug 08, 2018
Bad plugs, bad coils and bad fuel pump are primarily the causes of a shaking car.

5 Likes

Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by babeosisi: 8:36pm On Aug 08, 2018
It is epilepsy
Akwukwu

2 Likes

Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by heed101(m): 8:38pm On Aug 08, 2018
Same happened to my car. I just changed the plugs
Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by geezyk(m): 8:40pm On Aug 08, 2018
Can it cause an accident?

Back in March I was involved in an accident with my cousin who was the one driving, it so happened that we noticed this just after we've crossed the Nigerian border to Cotonou, the car was shaking excessively that we had to park and check the tires and other things thrice, but saw nothing..

We passed 3 roundabouts already, after passing the 4th roundabout a tyre got burst, and the car lost total control and poo hit the roof, my life typically flashed before my eyes, we landed safely while eye witness told us we spinned 5 times in the air.. luckily we both came out without a scratch, even though I wasn't putting on a seatbelt..

I still don't know what happened till this moment
Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by silkytouch(m): 8:40pm On Aug 08, 2018
Bad/broken engine sitters

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by Chepos1(m): 8:41pm On Aug 08, 2018
Its only kpalasa cars dat shake
Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by luizkyworld(m): 8:41pm On Aug 08, 2018
Good post. My car actually vibrate & jerks whenever I accelerate. After several change of plugs & coils without appreciable result...I finally met a gud mechanic who told me straight up that the valves have to be grinded. That was it...problem solved. Don't waste ur cash on trial & errors, just go for auto diagnosis.

3 Likes

Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by Nobody: 8:42pm On Aug 08, 2018
Under inflated front tires

1 Like

Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by mytime24(f): 8:43pm On Aug 08, 2018
Cars too dey twerk na grin
Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by RexTramadol1: 8:45pm On Aug 08, 2018
It happens with wheel barrow too

Venza dey market oh, I never too use am.
Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by Baronnaire: 8:45pm On Aug 08, 2018
Vaccum leak can make your car jerk while idling or moving. #checkvaccumlinesforleaks

Bad spark plugs and/or Coils can definitely make your car stutter while idling or moving. #replacebadplugs and/or #replacebadcoils

TIP. Use an OBDII car scanner and pull up the MIL CODES for spot on fixing...

Cheers...

2 Likes

Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by handsomeyinka(m): 8:45pm On Aug 08, 2018
rowland545:
hahahahahhaah its true I've noticed this
Lol...
Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by Josh44s(m): 8:49pm On Aug 08, 2018
AutoReportNG:

1. Engine Plight

2. Brake Issues

3. Imbalanced Car Wheels

Conclusion

Source:

Op you didn’t add number 4 which is the main one. Bumpy road. 80% of roads in Nigeria are Bumpy and rough. Somebody cannot drive 220Km/hr in this country to enjoy one’s car. embarassed

Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by Josh44s(m): 8:55pm On Aug 08, 2018
geezyk:
Can it cause an accident?

Back in March I was involved in an accident with my cousin who was the one driving, it so happened that we noticed this just after we've crossed the Nigerian border to Cotonou, the car was shaking excessively that we had to park and check the tires and other things thrice, but saw nothing..

We passed 3 roundabouts already, after passing the 4th roundabout a tyre got burst, and the car lost total control and poo hit the roof, my life typically flashed before my eyes, we landed safely while eye witness told us we spinned 5 times in the air.. luckily we both came out without a scratch, even though I wasn't putting on a seatbelt..

I still don't know what happened till this moment

Your village people nor get network that day.

Re: Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes by justchill(m): 9:12pm On Aug 08, 2018
agabusta:

What of engine and transmission mounts?? Can't they also be responsible for shaking and vibration?
Exactly, i had issues like this before. I had to replace the mounts

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / Photos: Dangers Of Potholes And How To Handle It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.