Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,077 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:46 AM

Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed (3800 Views)

Buhari Appoints Muhammad Abdallah As NDLEA Boss / NDLEA Boss Explains How They Got Kashamu, Nicknamed ‘god’ / Baba Suwe Truly Ingested Hard Drugs—ndlea Boss Finally Opens Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by OYINBOGOJU(m): 11:08pm On Jun 21, 2010
Bello Lafiaji

Former Chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, Bello Lafiaji, and his personal assistant, Usman Amali, were this morning sentenced to 16 years imprisonment by a Lagos, Nigeria, High Court for corrupt enrichment while in office.
Lafiaji will spend the next four years behind bars while Amali will spend three years as the sentences are to run concurrently.
The two convicts were arraigned in 2008 on a seven-count charge of conspiracy, using their positions to corruptly enrich themselves and receiving money before performing their lawful duties were convicted on six out of the seven counts.

They were sentenced as follows: fours years on count one, two years each on counts three, four, six and seven.
The prosecutor, Bolaji Ayorinde, (SAN), called 12 witnesses including assistant director of investigation, Samuel Gazama and Director of Prosecution and Legal Services, Femi Oloruntoba.

The defence counsel led by Prof. Taiwo Osipitan, (SAN), called five witnesses.

In his judgement, presiding Justice Olusola Williams said that relying on the evidence of Gazama, it was established that money was recovered from the house of a drug suspect, Ikenna Onochie, and was taken to NDLEA office in Lagos and the money got missing. And it was Gazama who narrated how the money got missing. His evidence was not controverted.
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by Consensus: 11:52pm On Jun 21, 2010
Interesting story. Source please?
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by nurujay(m): 1:47am On Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, caught the tail end of it on either AIT or Channels today. 16years!!! Best corruption sentence in Naija EVER!!!

If this is how every corrupt official was sentenced (not the nonsense they gave Govs Lucky Igbinedion and Alamasiegha) we'd sson be on the right path in Naija. Kudos to the judge.
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by RICHIEBOI1(m): 2:30am On Jun 22, 2010
saw it on AIT news, the ex-NDLEA boss was not remorse at all. i think the anti-corruption war has just started.
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by OAM4J: 3:36am On Jun 22, 2010
Good development!
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by Doptimist2: 11:02am On Jun 22, 2010
This is IMPRESSIVE!!!
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by sayso: 11:07am On Jun 22, 2010
ok hope we will not see them in Dubai next summer
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by jamace(m): 11:37am On Jun 22, 2010
How are we sure they did not step on mighty toes to warrant this conviction? Whichever way, the middle mighty men are falling. Bode George set the ball rolling.

Good development, hoping that this development will get to the doorstep of the MIGHTY ones too.
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by btlasisi(m): 11:53am On Jun 22, 2010
It serves him right. Ole, thief, agbaiya, olojukokoro. Rot in jail
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jun 22, 2010
The likes of corrupt Government officials will surely get their rightful dues

Ibori and others will soon follow too
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by otukpo(f): 12:16pm On Jun 22, 2010
He is going to spend 4 years in prison. The 16 yrs term is running concurrently.

It is still good anyway.
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by slap1(m): 12:17pm On Jun 22, 2010
Lol! Where are the others?
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by gReenmAn(m): 12:50pm On Jun 22, 2010
nurujay:

Yeah, caught the tail end of it on either AIT or Channels today. 16years!!! Best corruption sentence in Naija EVER!!!

If this is how every corrupt official was sentenced (not the nonsense they gave Govs Lucky Igbinedion and Alamasiegha) we'd sson be on the right path in Naija. Kudos to the judge.

You wish!
Nigerian courts reserve such lengthy sentences strictly for d small fries: people who steal 10k or less, burglars, petty thieves etc.
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by scoro99(m): 1:11pm On Jun 22, 2010
I Suggest Abakaliki prisons, Alcatraz(U.S.A) AND Kharkov(Russia) dey learn.

they wont survive the third night!
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by favouredjb(f): 1:11pm On Jun 22, 2010
that's a good one,shows there's still hope for this country
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by favouredjb(f): 1:12pm On Jun 22, 2010
scoro99:

kilode? wat abt gitmo? grin grin
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by hackney(m): 1:21pm On Jun 22, 2010
scoro99:

Lol ; Alcatraz is closed i think.

It is commendable that the demonic corrupt rats are been flushed out though too slowly.
It's time to have the balls to target the big fish of the demonic practice called corruption in Nigeria.
If corruption is curbed at that level, there will be enough investment funds to create jobs and elevate the standard of the police personnel.
Armed robbery will then almost disappear.
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 22, 2010
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by olulogbon: 1:58pm On Jun 22, 2010
Let's thank God that Justice prevailed.
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by pix: 2:20pm On Jun 22, 2010
I sincerely sympathize with the chairman,he was a good man who did well in his days as chairman earning international accolades. If only many knew what went down in this case, i rest my case.
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by GBT(m): 2:25pm On Jun 22, 2010
Right step at the right direction for the right reason
More oil to the jugdes elbow as am sure the decision was not easly taken
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by Acidosis(m): 2:30pm On Jun 22, 2010
No resting place for the wicked!
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by lysaa(f): 2:31pm On Jun 22, 2010
RICHIE BOI:

saw it on AIT news, the ex-NDLEA boss was not remorse at all. i think the anti-corruption war has just started.
There are some stinky details finely wrapped away from our eyes and hearing.
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by Bolaji25: 2:52pm On Jun 22, 2010
I sincerely sympathize with the chairman,he was a good man who did well in his days as chairman earning international accolades. If only many knew what went down in this case, i rest my case.

Kindly lets have the details of what went down in this case, The info could be of great use for everyone here.
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by toosoon(m): 4:30pm On Jun 22, 2010
they will pay someone to serve the jail term, no be naija we dey!!!
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by DoubleN(m): 4:33pm On Jun 22, 2010
otukpo:

He is going to spend 4 years in prison. The 16 yrs term is running concurrently.

It is still good anyway.

That is the part that pisses me off! Why can't the Mofo be allowed to serve the full 16 Years?
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jun 22, 2010
as if he'll even spend a month in jail.
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by otukpo(f): 4:58pm On Jun 22, 2010
pix:

a very confused nation.

We want things to change and when we begin to see the changes, we must find an excuse to rubbish it.

What went down in this case? Pls tell us.
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by davidif: 5:46pm On Jun 22, 2010
unbelievable! justice in nigeria??
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by CarlosVent(m): 6:13pm On Jun 22, 2010
dis is a welcome development.
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by kobikwelu(m): 11:42pm On Jun 22, 2010
a very confused nation.

We want things to change and when we begin to see the changes, we must find an excuse to rubbish it.

What went down in this case? Pls tell us.

thank you my dear,

dunt mind them, they clamour for justice, when they get one, they subject it to ridicule,

so its only when they get IBB y'all rest, angry angry angry angry angry angry

as for me, any conviction shuld be celebrated, whether its one day,

freaking pessimists angry angry angry angry
Re: Lafiagi, Ex-ndlea Boss Jailed by teskyg: 8:55am On Jun 23, 2010
I am not please with the Judgment.Tafa Balogun got 3 months for 20 Billion Naira,what of Saminu Turaki, Orji Kalu, Ibru and her other cohorts who ran our banks down to the tone of over a trillion Naira?

Many are still enjoying their loot.It is political.Dont be deceived.Until they brought all the other criminal to book,it is still a far cry, Imajine the bogus allowances and corruption at the House of assembly.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Babangida Threatens To Quit PDP / Christmas Day Bomb Blast @ A Catholic Church In Mandala, Abuja? / Jonathan's Affair With Diezani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.