Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,782 members, 7,806,165 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel (1369 Views)

Archangel Michael Is Jesus Christ / Is Michael The Archangel Really Jesus? (revelation 12:7) / Is Archangel Michael Jesus Christ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by Nobody: 7:03pm On Mar 30, 2007
I've said it before that Jesus ios Michael the Archangel: got this from the net so read on

Archangel simply means the head or chief messenger. It's taken from the two Greek root words [archo], meaning the first in rule or power, and [aggelos] meaning messenger, or one who brings tidings. It is also translated as the chief or top messenger. The word [aggelos] (messenger) is also translated angel (in that an Angel is a messenger from God) to signify one who brings tidings from God.
One of the ways God puts forth spiritual truths is in the names He assigns in the Bible. From the name Adam, to Israel, to David, to Christ, God assigns names which reveal some great spiritual truths. And the name Michael is no exception. If we study it carefully and honestly, it reveals who this is. The word Michael is of Hebrew origin [miykael] and most nearly means "He who is assuredly God". Taken from the root Hebrew words [miy] (who is), [kiy] (assuredly), and ['el] (God). Kiy, the prepositional prefix has also been rendered as meaning "who is certainly God" or "who is as God". This is totally consistent with all of scripture which deals with the work of Michael. For Christ, the messenger of God has or will do all the things assigned to Michael, the head or chief Messenger. Christ is the Messenger of God in charge of the army of God. And He assuredly is God, and that is what the title God gives of "Michael" signifies.

One of the first objections by some theologians is that scripture says that Michael is "one of the Chief Princes".

Daniel 10:13

"But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia".
Their rationale is that God cannot be "one" of the Chief Princes. However there are two schools of thought on this verse, and they both support the doctrine that Christ indeed can be one of the Chief rulers.

1. The reference to Michael as one of the chief rulers or Princes is illustrating Christ's status in the Trinity. i.e, one of the chief rulers or Kings in the Godhead, as demonstrated in verses such as,
Acts 5:31

"Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins".
This is one of the Chief Princes or rulers in the triune Godhead and He rules on the throne of God.

2. The other way that this is understood is that this should be rendered first, rather than one. He is the First of the Chief princes. For example, Young's literal Translation reads:

"And the head of the kingdom of Persia is standing over against me twenty and one days, and lo, Michael, first of the chief heads, hath come to help me, " -YLT
As per Christ saying He is alpha and Omega, the First and the last in Revelation. Revelation 2:8

"And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;"
Again pointing to the cross of Christ and that He is God! The First Resurrected from the dead, the first born, that in all things He might have preeminence.

Either way we look at it, whether first of the Chief rulers or one of the chief rulers, both illustrate His rule in the triune Godhead. When daniel says He is the only one to help, this in itself is a confirmation and illustration that this refers to the Messiah. Only the Messenger (not angel) of God could help in this. He is the Prince who strengthens us and is our help in time of weakness. This is illustrated again in the following verses of that chapter.

Daniel 10:21

"But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince".
There is no one that holdeth with him but Michael? Not any other man, not any other angel, not God, no one? This would be illogical and unbiblical (since we know there is always a remnant and angels of God) until we understand that this is Christ and no one could help us but Him. Then of course it is perfectly logical, for Christ is the only one who holdeth with us all in these things. He is our help! This is the truth noted in scripture which this messenger has shown Daniel. Michael (the name signifying 'He who is assuredly God'), would be the only one who would help this in time of need.

Psalms 146:3-6

"Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God:

Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is: which keepeth truth for ever:
There is no Prince either in heaven or in earth that anyone can put their trust in to help or strengthen us but Christ our Prince of Peace. It is He that maketh reconciliation with us to God and who strengthens the Covenant in His blood (Hebrews 9:17). The same Word of God made flesh that the book of John (chapter one) reiterates created heaven and earth and all that is therein. He is Michael, the help of God's people this prophesy is speaking of.

Note also, that this messenger tells Daniel that Michael is "His Prince". Who is the Prince or ruler of Daniel (and indeed the Church) but Christ? He is our Prince who alone holdeth with us in these matters. There is none other name from which we can get our help to overcome, other than "He who is assuredly God". He is one of the chief rulers in the triune Godhead who is designated as our means of help. Without this Prince standing for us, we don't stand, but fall!

The Angel or Messenger of the Lord, is God
The second objection is best illustrated in some theologians apparent misunderstanding of the word angel. Believe it or not, some theologians think because it says angel, it must be an angel and not the lord. But this only serves to highlight their reckless handling of scripture and lack of biblical scholarship. Because the precedent for the Lord being identified as an angel (messenger) is unquestionably demonstrated again and again very clearly in the scriptures. Christ is not an angel of the Lord, but He is the messenger of the Lord. And that's what the words translated angel literally means. Let's look at this phrase "angel of the LORD" in the light of scripture and glean from it if God indeed uses scripture this way. Our first example is in Genesis 31.

Genesis 31:11-13

"And the angel of God spake unto me in a dream, saying, Jacob: And I said, Here am I.

And he said, Lift up now thine eyes, and see, all the rams which leap upon the cattle are ringstraked, speckled, and grisled: for I have seen all that Laban doeth unto thee.

I am the God of Bethel, where thou anointedst the pillar, and where thou vowedst a vow unto me: now arise, get thee out from this land, and return unto the land of thy kindred".
Here we see clearly the Angel of the Lord identifies Himself as God. That is because this is not an angel but a messenger of God. We see clearly that this wording of "angel of the Lord" is quite consistent with the chief messenger (archangel) being God. Again,

Genesis 48:15-16

"And he blessed Joseph, and said, God, before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac did walk, the God which fed me all my life long unto this day,

The Angel which redeemed me from all evil, bless the lads; and let my name be named on them, and the name of my fathers Abraham and Isaac; and let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth".
Who is the Angel that redeemed him from evil but the lord Jesus Christ!

Luke 1:68

"Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,"
He is the redeeming Angel of God. There is no other redeemer but Christ! Therefore the redeeming angel of God must be the Lord Jesus Christ, one of three in the triune Godhead. One of the Chief rulers. We can see again in the illustration of Christ in the example of the burning bush and Moses.

Exodus 3:2-6

"And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.

And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.

And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.

And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.

Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God".
Here we see that the angel (messenger) of the Lord in the midst of the burning bush, is identified in verses 4 and 6 as the Lord God himself. Note that scripture says the bush burned but was not consumed. This is a "type" of Christ who went through the fires of Hell for us and yet was not consumed with the fire of God's wrath, neither did His flesh see corruption. As a refiners fire, we were purified in Christ's death and made as precious as gold (Zechariah 13), he having been raised without being consumed. This angel of the Lord in the burning bush is a picture of Christ. And this picture extends to the New Testament as well.

Acts 7:30

"And when forty years were expired, there appeared to him in the wilderness of mount Sina an angel of the Lord in a flame of fire in a bush.

When Moses saw it, he wondered at the sight: and as he drew near to behold it, the voice of the Lord came unto him,"
This angel of the Bush identified as "I AM" is none other than the Lord. And indeed Christ also illustrated that He was this "I AM", as he spoke in John:

John 8:57-58

"Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM."
This is the Angel of the Lord in the burning bush saying, "say I AM hath sent me". It is the Messenger of the Covenant, the Lord Jesus Christ. It is not unusual that God appears to man as this Messenger of the Lord. This word [mal'ak] or angel simply means Messenger, just as the New Testament word [aggelos] simply means messenger. A few examples illustrate this:

Matthew 11:10-11

"For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger [aggelos] before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he".
Is John the baptist an angel? No, yet here we have that word [aggelos] describing him. For he is a messenger of God, one who is "sent" with the tidings of God, the gospel message. That is what the word signifies. Again,

James 2:24-25

"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, [aggelos] and had sent them out another way?"
Of course those men Rahab the harlot sent out were men, not angels. But they were Messengers. This is the exact same word aggelos, or messenger. Likewise in the old testament, the same Hebrew word for Angel [mal'ak] is the word used for Messenger. Because it "is" the word Messenger just as aggelos is. Not the least of which is the Chief Messenger [mal'ak], the messenger of the Covenant, Jesus Christ himself.

Malachi 3:1

"Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger [mal'ak] of the Covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts".
This Angel or Messenger of the Covenant is again, the Lord Jesus Christ prophesied to come. And so we see it not unusual at all, for these are words which mean messenger. Simply because the Spirit beings in heaven are messengers of God (Angels if you will) doesn't preclude others from being messengers also. Another example is in the story of Hagar.

Genesis 16:9-13

"And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands.

And the angel of the LORD said unto her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude.

And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the LORD hath heard thy affliction.

And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.

And she called the name of the LORD that spake unto her, Thou God seest me: for she said, Have I also here looked after him that seeth me?"
This is God inspired scripture illustrating that this Angel (Messenger) of the Lord was God Himself speaking to hagar,

Genesis 21:17-18

"And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath heard the voice of the lad where he is.

Arise, lift up the lad, and hold him in thine hand; for I will make him a great nation".
Who will make of Him a great nation but the Lord. He is this Messenger who called to hagar out of heaven. Which again is illustrated in Genesis 22,

Genesis 22:15-18

"And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,

And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:

That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice".
It is God who will bless Abraham and multiply his seed and bless all the nations of the earth. He is this Angel or messenger from the Lord who does these things. Again, as illustrated in the trek in the wilderness of Sinai in Exodus 14:19 as compared with Exodus 13:21.

Exodus 14:19

"And the angel of God, which went before the camp of Israel, removed and went behind them; and the pillar of the cloud went from before their face, and stood behind them:"
Exodus 13:21

"And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:"
It was God who went before them, He is the messenger or "angel of God". It is the same as the Lord! This title is being used interchangeably:

Judges 13:21-22

"But the angel of the LORD did no more appear to Manoah and to his wife. Then Manoah knew that he was an angel of the LORD.

And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die, because we have seen God".
They were speaking with the Lord Himself, but it was not God the father in all His Glory because no man hath seen God the father and Lived. Moses just saw part of Him and lit up like a light bulb. No, we see God the father only on this side of the grave, only through Christ.

John 5:37

"And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape".
No man has heard the voice of the father or seen His shape at anytime. it is only through the Lord Jesus christ, the messenger of God that we see him. The phrase archangel or Chief Messenger of the LORD means Jesus Christ one of the Princes or Rulers who is our Help.

Judges 2:1

"And an angel of the LORD came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I sware unto your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you".
We know it was God who brought the Israelites up out of Egypt and brought them into the land which "HE" sware unto their fathers. The very fact that this angel of the Lord says it was His Covenant with them should alert even the novice that this is indeed the Lord. Judges 6:20-23 also gives the clear illustration of this.

And so there is not only precedent, there is overwhelming evidence of the Lord being called the Angel or Messenger of God. So no one who is even remotely biblically astute should be surprised that Michael, being Christ, would be called the Chief Angel or Messenger of God. It's not unique, it's typical of the way God would speak of Him. And dealing with all the scriptures honestly (and these are by no means all) we must come to the conclusion that God frequently uses the wording Angel to refer to the Lord! Angel in the literal sense of a messenger.

The passages dealing with
Michael, the angel of the Lord
So then, knowing all these things about the lord spoken of as the angel or Messenger, it is not difficult to understand how Jesus would be spoken of as the Chief messenger of the Lord. By itself, it doesn't prove Michael is the Lord Jesus Christ, but taken with the collective information about the chief messenger Michael it is practically a given.

Of course, I don't live in a theological vacuum so I'm well aware that seeing Michael as the Chief Messenger Jesus Christ goes against the grain of what many Churches today teach. Nevertheless I am convinced (by scripture) that this is indeed the case. Don't follow me, and don't follow them, follow the scriptures. Take all scripture in it's context, reconciling all, and we get a better picture of this Michael. Let's look at each passage where Michael is spoken about, and see just how (or if) it correlates.

The Voice of the Archangel
1st Thessalonians 4:16

"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord".
Here we see clear language where God says the Lord will come with the Voice of the Archangel or ruling or head Messenger. Why would God say that Jesus will return with the voice of the archangel, and it be someone else's voice? That makes no sense. He returns with the voice of Michael (He who assuredly is God), Christ's voice that will raise the dead and that the Church will hear and meet him in the air. Not some created being's voice, the voice of the Lord. In common language, that would be like me saying, "I'm going to Florida tomorrow, and will return with a shout of the voice of Micahel". That doesn't make much sense unless I am Micahel. I've learned long ago that it is extremely difficult to un-teach something which has been taught and accepted as true, and this doctrine that Michael is an angel is just such a case. Rightly discerning scripture is work, which I suppose is why so few bother to search this out. But to be sure the Lord raises the dead with His voice, it is this voice of the Chief Messenger of God.

John 5:26-29

"For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice,

And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation".
Not will hear the voice of an angel, but will hear "His" voice, for he is the Chief messenger of God called Michael who's voice we shall hear. Christ Jesus! This is the Shout, this is the Great noise, this is the voice of the Archangel, this is the last trump of God and the presence of the lord. These things are all spiritual pictures denoting the last trumpet and Christ's advent.

Exodus 19:16-18

"And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled.

And Moses brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether part of the mount.

And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly".
Hebrews 12:18-19

"For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest,

And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more:"
This is the Glory of God which shall come, this is the voice of the Chief messenger, the archangel, the Lord God himself. When the trumpet shall sound, and Christ comes with this voice of the chief messenger, all shall have been fulfilled.

The Devil and the body of Moses
Another passage we need to look at carefully which speaks of this archangel is Jude chapter one.

Jude 1:9

"Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee".
In one passage of scripture we see Michael and His army at war with the Devil and his army, but here we see him in dispute about the body of Moses, not wanting to judge for his accusations. Is there a contradiction? No, because God is painting spiritual pictures by using this language. There is no angel which has the power to contend with Satan. Satan is ruler of this world, the strong one who held the world in bondage with a heavy hand. The only Messenger who could contend with him and ransome then from his hand is Christ! Once Satan was defeated by the death of Christ, they then rule over him "through" Christ. Christ is the one who contended with the Devil about the body of Moses.

The "body of Moses" is signifying the body of the law under which the congregation was burdened, and which "only" Christ could be the help. Under the New Covenant with God, we are no longer burdened for Christ keeps the law for us perfectly, that we no longer sit condemned under. When God speaks of the scriptures, He often uses the phrase or term, "Moses and the Prophets" or "the law of Moses" or the "commandments of Moses". Of course we know that it's not Moses' law or his commands, it's God's law. But God uses these terms as a synonym for the law of God under which we sit condemned under the Old Testament (the body of Moses). A few examples:

1st Corinthians 9:9

"For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?"
This language is a synonym for the law of God, the scriptures. For Moses was the Old Testament "type" of Christ, and his body would be the Congregation under law, made like unto Christ as a "shadow" of things to come. We can see this as it speaks of the "angel of God" on the mountain.

Acts 7:37-38

"This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.

This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us: "
Again, Christ, the angel or messenger which spake to Moses on the Mountain. And He who God raised up like unto Moses, is Christ, the fulfilment of the "type". Him shall the people hear! Moses, and the law of Moses, is being pictured as the word or the law of God which man is under. But it is only in Christ that we can keep the law and will hear Him! Not in the body of Moses (the law) but in the body of Christ (Grace, or not under law).

2nd Corinthians 3:15

"But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart".
God uses the language "when Moses is read" to signify the law or the Word. Even when Jesus told the parable of Lazarus and the Rich man in Hell, when the Rich man said he wanted to go back to warn his brethren about the horrors of Hell, it was said to him, "they have Moses and the prophets (the law of the scriptures), let them hear it". But the rich man protested still that they needed more and would believe if one rose from the dead to tell them. To which the Lord put forth the illustration,

Luke 16:31

"And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead".
God again is signifying here that if one won't listen to the law, they won't listen to Christ who rose from the dead. That's the Spiritual truth put forth here. And God is using Moses as this synonym for the law of God. Before Jesus was Crucified, we see Moses and Elijah come to him (again, a picture of the WITNESS of the law and the prophets). Revelation chapter 11, again the two witnesses, a picture that the Church bringing the witness of the law and the prophets. These are all spiritual significations. But Christ came to fulfill the law that the Body of Moses, (God's people under law) could be set free from the law. As Christ said,

Matthew 5:17

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil".
The law of Moses stands, it's just that it is fulfilled or in other words, kept fully in Christ. In that sense, the law has ended for God's people. That is the dispute of the Devil with Michael! Satan uses the law to accuse us (for we are all transgressors of the law), but Christ foiled his plans.

Romans 10:4-5

"For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth".

For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them".
The Body of Moses is the law which the Old Testament saints couldn't keep anymore than we can. Satan accuses them (and us) by the law. Christ opened not His mouth (as a lamb is dumb before the slaughter) as He went to the cross because He stood laden with our sins, being our help, and was therefore guilty in the real sense. As Isaiah 53 says, God saw the travail of His soul and was satisfied with the payment. He paid the price for us, and delivered the body of Moses from death! We are now free from the condemnation of the law.

In Jude 9 when Michael (who assuredly is God the ruling Messenger) contends with the devil, He disputed about the body of Moses because it was war. Christ went forth conquering and he by the Power of God cast Satan (the great accuser) out and spoiled his kingdom of us. He set us Free! And God says, if this be true, then the Kingdom of God had come. Michael did cast out satan by the power of God, and so the kingdom of God "had" come. Israel had been delivered. Satan had nothing to accuse us with the law anymore.

Matthew 12:26-29

"And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.

But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house".
This is the dispute with Satan about the body of the law. He went to the cross willingly and opened not His mouth. He didn't bring against him a railing accusation, but said, "The Lord rebuke thee." , why? Because He was guilty, numbered with the transgressors for us. Laden with our sins He willingly went to the cross to atone for the transgressions of the law which we have broken. He couldn't say, "wrong Satan, the law doesn't condemn", because it did. Rather than accuse as Satan does, He assigned Satan's judgment (for every unrighteous thought is judged) unto the father, and went as a lamb to the slaughter to pay the price for the sin that He had become, for us.

2nd Corinthians 5:21

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him".
And being guilty with our sin, He suffered the wrath of God. He brought not accusation because though He was without sin, yet He carried our sins to the cross with him, thus satan's judgment would not be argued by the guilty, but by the raised Christ, in Righteousness.

Another of the chief complaints about Michael being Christ by some theologians is that they say that the fact that He says, "The Lord rebuke thee", means that he is not the Lord. But again, this shows their lack of careful study on the matter, as this event is pictured in the book of Zechariah.

Zechariah 3:1-3

"And he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.

And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?"
You will note as satan stood at the right hand of Christ to contend with Him, "The Lord" said to satan, "The Lord" rebuke thee! And so we see that argument goes right out the window because we have Joshua (or Jesus) clearly being called the Lord, and then clearly saying, The Lord rebuke thee. Again, instances of the three persons of the triune Godhead revealed. In both Jude 9 and Zechariah chapter 3 this is Jesus, the angel of the LORD who is resisted by Satan. It is Michael, the archangel, contending with Satan for legal rights to the body of Moses.

Satan's judgment is commended unto the father, Christ would not bring accusation for He was guilty by the law by being laden with our sins, and the Father would pour out his wrath upon him for us.

Isaiah 53:4-5

"Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed".
So burdened was He with them that great drops of blood poured off him in the garden. Man in this life will never know the agony which Christ suffered for the sins of the world. He took on flesh for us that He could pay the wages of Sin required by the law, in the flesh. To suffer death so that we could not be accused. And once the price was paid, the accuser satan was cast out of the Kingdom of God, no longer able to accuse and hold death over our heads because we couldn't keep the law of Moses. No longer is the body held in bondage because of him, it is now free, dead to sin, raised to life in Christ! Because He took in Him the seed of Abraham, they are set free. This is delineated in such verses as,

Hebrews 2:14-16

"Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham".
This is the Body of Moses. The Old testament body, the old Testament temple, the Old testament sacrifices, the Old Testament law, etc., are fulfilled or completed in Christ. The law has no more power over us because of what He did. This is explained beautifully in Romans chapter seven.

Romans 7:1-6

"Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God".

For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter".
By the language of of being married to "another" illustrates that God's people were betrothed to the body of the law before. That was our husband, that was the body of Moses that Christ disputed with Satan about. As those verses above indicate, there was only one way for us to be loosed from this husband, and that was the same way any woman can be loosed from her husband. If he be dead, then is she free.

In other words, this Word of truth is signifying that all unsaved people are married to the law of God. That is to say, even as the husband is to have dominion over the wife where she is to be in subjection to him (1st Peter 3:1-5), so the law has dominion over every unsaved person where they likewise are subject to the law. And man is condemned by this law. But as the word says, even as a human marriage is broken by death so that the woman is free from the law of her husband, so we are dead unto the law of Moses, free that the law has no more dominion over us. We can legitimately (legally) become the bride of Christ "only" because we are no longer married to the body of Moses (the Law).

Those verses illustrate that we are loosed from that body of Moses or old testament law, and married to the law of Christ! Michael (He who assuredly is God) has prevailed and conquered Satan and his army, hence, the "dispute" about the body of Moses, was won by Christ at the cross?

The Time when Michael shall Stand up
The next verse which we will look at which shows Michael this chief Messenger is in Daniel chapter 12. There we read,

Daniel 12:1

"And at that time shall Michael stand up, The Great Prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.

And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt".
This again is in reference to Christ's second advent as it says again the dead shall rise and those who are written in the book shall be delivered. Some are raised to everlasting life and some are raised to everlasting contempt. This time of trouble correlates to the Great tribulation period which Jesus spoke about in matthew 24, saying in verses 29 to 31 that immediately after this tribulation, Christ would return on the clouds of Glory with the trump of God. This is the time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time, when the people shall be delivered. And so we see this is all going along consistently with the coming of the Lord, and this Messenger Michael being Christ!

Also note it says "The Great Prince". Who would be described as the Great Prince which stands up for the people when the dead are raises, but Christ? No one else qualifies as the great Prince to Help in this time of the raising of the dead to life and judgment. Christ is illustrated as this Great Prince throughout scripture.

Isaiah 9:6

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace".
This is the only Great Prince which stands for the people. It is because this great Prince stands for "His People" that they shall never fall, and that they have Peace with God, and that they are not judged with death as the unsaved will be. This is the Great prince Michael which stands for the people. When speaking about the rejection of Israel of Christ, we read,
Acts 3:14-15

"But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;

And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses".
In this Prince only, do we stand and do we find our help. Because He stands, we stand, for He is our strength, our deliverer and our Saviour.

Acts 5:30-31

"The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins".
This is He who is assuredly God, who is the great Prince which standeth for the People. That is what the Title Michael stands for. God says besides him, there is no Saviour (Isaiah 43:11, 45:21). This is the great Prince who loves us and who stands for the people.

Revelation 1:5

"And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the Prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,"
Because He stands for us, we stand in Righteousness, in Him! No better illustrated than in Ephesians.

Ephesians 6:11-14

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;"
Christ is this Robe of righteousness we wear, this sword which is the Word this armour of God. We Stand in Him only, because He stands for the people. He is our defense, and our strength. It is by this great Prince that we are those who are raised unto everlasting life, while the unsaved are raised unto everlasting contempt. We are washed in His blood that in God's eyes, we are righteous. And it is only by He who assuredly is God that we can stand before God, without condemnation on that great day of the Lord.

Michael and the War in Heaven
This is the passage which is the most controversial about Michael. Some Theologians see this as an "actual" war that took place literally in heaven. This, despite the fact that the whole chapter is so obviously using symbolic terms and figurative language. Even without looking hard we can note the obvious inconsistencies of such an interpretation. We see this pregnant Woman in this heaven. Is this a Literal Woman floating around in literal heaven? Immediately we say that's ludicrous. So then how do we make a woman who is not literally floating in a literal heaven symbolic, and then in the next few verses take that same heaven and make it a literal war in literal heaven? It bridges on the ridiculous. Further, the stars were cast from this heaven by the tail of this dragon. And remember, the Dragon is in that same heaven accosting the pregnant woman. Literal? Hardly, yet again some theologians totally ignore this and claim it's a literal war in heaven of Michael and angels. This is sloppy exegesis of the highest order. This heaven is a symbolic picture (vision) of the Kingdom of God and how there was spiritual warfare as Christ (Michael) came to cast the accuser out. Remember what we saw about His disputing with the Devil about the body of Moses? This is all related. Christ came to cast the accuser down and establish the Kingdom of God in Righteousness in Him. When we see the symbolism in Revelation chapter 12 of Michael and His messengers fighting against the Satan and his messengers, it is a picture of Christ, the ruling Messenger going forth in war against Satan and those He rules over. They are the two who have battled from the very beginning (Gen. 3:15). Christ against Satan to help the Woman. To be sure, there is no Chief Messenger or angel who could defeat Satan and kick him out of the kingdom except Christ! He is the ruling messenger with the title of Michael who defeated Satan at the cross. Not an Angel. Let's look at the pertinent scriptures.

Revelation 12:7-9

"And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

and the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him".
The symbolism of Satan as the serpent who bruised Christ's heel is well established as taking place at the cross. The warfare was a Spiritual warfare, not in literal heaven. When Revelation chapter 12 speaks of this woman "travailing in birth", it is talking about the pains that the Congregation Israel was going through at the time before the first advent of Christ. Israel was in a state of trouble. Her paths were crooked, and the prophets and priests were gone out of the way that an apostasy had overcome it. Scripture says the Kingdom of heaven suffereth violence until John, and the violent take it by force (Matt. 11:12). This is the woman in heaven and satan accosting her! This was a time of trouble and Israel is pictured as a woman in the pains of birth, who needs to be delivered (Jeremiah 4:31). This is all the picture of the Kingdom of God and how it would come to be loosed from the grip of death which the accuser held over it.

When Isaiah prophesies of this and says Jerusalem's warfare was accomplished, it wasn't talking about literal war with swords or staves. It's a warfare infinitely more important. We see this pictured gloriously as Jesus sends the Seventy out two by two with the gospel, and they returned saying SATAN couldn't HARM them, (ye shall take up serpents -mark 16) and even the spirits were subject to them. Christ's Messengers (not angels) had this Power, because of what Christ did. Their battle gear was the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. That was what they battled with, and their victory was assured in Christ! listen and HEAR what Jesus tells His messengers as He sends them out two by two.

Luke 10:16-18

"He that heareth you heareth Me; and he that despiseth you despiseth Me; and he that despiseth Me despiseth Him that sent Me.
Jesus is saying here, if they fight you, they are fighting Me, and if they fight Me, they fight against God. I.e., he is telling them they represent God and any enmity against Christ's Messengers, is then enmity against God! , It Continues in verse 17,

And the 70 returned again with joy, saying, LORD, even the DEVILS are SUBJECT unto us through THY name.
You see, Satan has no power to stand against them. It was by the Power of Christ that the devils were subject to these Messengers of the Lord, because He, Michael, was assuredly God, and they could not stand against Him. The Seventy Christ sent out rejoiced at this! Note "carefully" in the next verse, Christ's response to their Joy over their victory over devils,

And He said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from Heaven."
And that falling is exactly what the verses of Revelation chapter 12 is referring to when it says Satan was then cast out. This signifies that Satan had no more power over the army of God, and the kingdom of Heaven would go forth to the world because of it. That accuser Satan would be cast out of it, and the bondage wherewith he held men would be broken by the Cross. This episode was a picture of what the finished work of Christ would do. It would destroy (bring Him down/Idle) Satan (Hebrews 2:14), so that the saints could be free from his bondage whereby he held death over them. His accusations against the Body would now ring hollow as Christ's death put teeth to the Covenant. Christ would now build His Church, and the gates of Hell would not prevail over it. Satan has been defeated, cast out, and bound that the Lord could FREE the prisoners and Build His Church. The same picture of Joy as the Woman is delivered Jesus talked about. A Victory by the blood of the lamb (Rev. 12). The Kingdom suffered violence, but Christ would bring peace.

Hebrews 2:14

", that through death, He might destroy him that hath the power of death, that is the devil,

and deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage."
Satan was cast out of the kingdom making it secure. He was the accuser of the brethren by law because he held them in bondage with the fear of death over them, but Christ delivered us from that bondage by paying the wages of sin for us, and thus cast the accuser (sin) out. we are no longer in bondage to sin, no longer in bondage to Satan. Christ Conquered Him and he as lightning fell from heaven. When Jesus told the seventy that He saw Satan as lightning (God's judgment) fall from heaven, this is what he was talking about. He saw the Victory of the cross that make the saints more than conquerors in their spiritual warfare. Christ cast out the serpent and keeps the messengers from harm by the scorpions and dragon and all power of the enemy (see the Revelation chapter 12 study).

Some people forget the symbolism of Revelation, and get confused with looking at impossible interpretations. Christ gave us the power to overcome Satan and that NOTHING Satan could do can harm us. He can Kill us, have us stoned to death, or fed to the Lions, but ultimately, he has lost and has no power in the Kingdom because his accusations (sin) mean nothing because of Christ's Work. He cannot harm us in any way, and certainly not by false Gospel. Again,

Luke 10:18

", I beheld Satan as Lightning fall from heaven. Behold I give you power to tred on SERPENTS and SCORPIONS, and over all power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you."
There are some misguided souls who want to go out into the desert and handle literal snakes. But that's not what's in view. When Mark 16 says we can pick up serpents and not be harmed, and when this verse says we can tred on serpents and scorpions and not be hurt, what is in view is Satan. "He" is the Serpent that cannot harm us, not a snake in the grass. "He" is the scorpion whose sting in his tail cannot harm us. These are Symbolic terms, not putting forth a promise of literal immunity from snakes or crawlers of the night like Scorpions!

This is the symbolism of God's Word, and unless we start listening to God's Word, we cannot begin to know what's what as far as interpretation. We will leave ourselves open for any type of deception. But when you get it from the Bible, by the Holy Spirit that tells you it's true, you know that you are on the right track. It was Christ who cast Satan from heaven, not an Angel, and it's through Christ that we have the power over serpents, scorpions, and poisonous gospel drinks. Not literal poisons, but the poisons from the lips of Satan's false Prophets.

And how did these Messengers of Michael (He who is assuredly God) overcome Satan and his messengers? Don't ask man, get it DIRECTLY from the scriptures. And scripture tells us,

Revelation 12:10

"And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, now is come Salvation and strength, and the Kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of the brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night."
The accuser of the brethren is sin. Satan is the essence, the embodiment of sin. But at the cross Michael (Christ) cast down the accuser by purging us from sin, and destroying (bringing idle down) Satan who held this fear of death over us (Hebrews. 2:14). we read, Now has come Salvation and Strength! At the victory of the Cross, not by swords and fighting in literal Heaven.

Revelation 12:11

"And they overcame him by the blood of the lamb, and by the word of their testimony, and they loved not their lives unto the death."
The Messengers of Michael overcame Satan how? By attacking them with swords or clubs in literal heaven? God forbid, but by the Blood of Christ, and by the WORD of their testimony, and they loved not their lives even unto death. Were they testifying in heaven? No, their testimony is in earth. , Even unto death! Can angels die? Study these scriptures carefully, and you will see that it refers symbolically to Christ defeating Satan and his messengers, and they and he, were cast out of the kingdom of Heaven, and the Kingdom given to another (see matthew 8:10-12 carefully). Those who Jesus said were of their father the Devil, are the messengers of the Dragon. Those who Jesus were talking about in Matthew saying the Children of the Kingdom would be cast out, are those who fought with Satan "against Him". They are the unsaved messengers of Israel (the Kingdom). They are the fallen messengers blinded in part (except for the remnant). This is the Spiritual battle fought at the cross. Satan fought and lost, and his house was spoiled. He "NO LONGER" can accuse the brethren because they are no longer of his household, under the bondage of sin. Christ cast Satan out of the Kingdom of God and made it so we could be freed from captivity there. Consider wisely,

Matthew 12:28-29

"But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you,

or else how can one enter into a strong man's house and spoil his goods, except he first Bind the strong man? and then He will spoil his goods".
Christ "did" cast out devils by the Spirit of God, and so the kingdom of God had indeed come unto them. And He was the one who spoiled (took by right of conquest) the goods of Satan. Those goods were you and I who the accuser Satan held in bondage to sin. But note that Jesus tells us, FIRST Satan had to be bound! i.e., Satan was bound at the cross in order that Christ could spoil his house. By the cross is devils cast out and the accuser can no longer make accusation of us because of sin, for sin has been washed away. Because of the work of Christ sin has been paid for, and now is Salvation and the kingdom of our God come "without the accuser" in it! Sin cannot condemn us anymore. No serpent can hold us anymore, nor hurt us anymore. We overcame him by the blood of the lamb. That is the marvelous symbolism here in verse eleven. When we look at this biblically and logically, who can cast satan out of the Kingdom of heaven but Christ Himself? No one can but He who assuredly is God. Michael, our Prince who standeth for the people!

Conclusion
From all that we have seen in scripture from this study, Jesus is the only one who qualifies to be Michael, the one who comes to help the Lord's people. He is the only chief messenger of God who does all these things. The only one who could battle Satan and cast down the accuser of us, that we are no longer in fear of death. For sin and the law has no more power of death for us. The Archangel Michael is the Chief Ruler of thy people, but He is not a created being. This angel or Messenger of the Lord has appeared time and again in the Old Testament to illustrate, He was assuredly God. Michael, the Great prince and Chief Messenger of the living God!

Peace,

www.mountainretreatorg.net/bible/michael.html
Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by Nella(f): 6:09pm On Mar 31, 2007
babaearly:

I've said it before that Jesus ios Michael the Archangel: got this from the net so read on

Archangel simply means the head or chief messenger. It's taken from the two Greek root words [archo], meaning the first in rule or power, and [aggelos] meaning messenger, or one who brings tidings. It is also translated as the chief or top messenger. The word [aggelos] (messenger) is also translated angel (in that an Angel is a messenger from God) to signify one who brings tidings from God.
One of the ways God puts forth spiritual truths is in the names He assigns in the Bible. From the name Adam, to Israel, to David, to Christ, God assigns names which reveal some great spiritual truths. And the name Michael is no exception. If we study it carefully and honestly, it reveals who this is. The word Michael is of Hebrew origin [miykael] and most nearly means "He who is assuredly God". Taken from the root Hebrew words [miy] (who is), [kiy] (assuredly), and ['el] (God). Kiy, the prepositional prefix has also been rendered as meaning "who is certainly God" or "who is as God". This is totally consistent with all of scripture which deals with the work of Michael. For Christ, the messenger of God has or will do all the things assigned to Michael, the head or chief Messenger. Christ is the Messenger of God in charge of the army of God. And He assuredly is God, and that is what the title God gives of "Michael" signifies.

One of the first objections by some theologians is that scripture says that Michael is "one of the Chief Princes".

"But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia".
Their rationale is that God cannot be "one" of the Chief Princes. However there are two schools of thought on this verse, and they both support the doctrine that Christ indeed can be one of the Chief rulers.

1. The reference to Michael as one of the chief rulers or Princes is illustrating Christ's status in the Trinity. i.e, one of the chief rulers or Kings in the Godhead, as demonstrated in verses such as,
Acts 5:31

"Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins".
This is one of the Chief Princes or rulers in the triune Godhead and He rules on the throne of God.

2. The other way that this is understood is that this should be rendered first, rather than one. He is the First of the Chief princes. For example, Young's literal Translation reads:

"And the head of the kingdom of Persia is standing over against me twenty and one days, and lo, Michael, first of the chief heads, hath come to help me, " -YLT
As per Christ saying He is alpha and Omega, the First and the last in Revelation. Revelation 2:8

"And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;"
Again pointing to the cross of Christ and that He is God! The First Resurrected from the dead, the first born, that in all things He might have preeminence.

Either way we look at it, whether first of the Chief rulers or one of the chief rulers, both illustrate His rule in the triune Godhead. When daniel says He is the only one to help, this in itself is a confirmation and illustration that this refers to the Messiah. Only the Messenger (not angel) of God could help in this. He is the Prince who strengthens us and is our help in time of weakness. This is illustrated again in the following verses of that chapter.

Daniel 10:21

"But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince".
There is no one that holdeth with him but Michael? Not any other man, not any other angel, not God, no one? This would be illogical and unbiblical (since we know there is always a remnant and angels of God) until we understand that this is Christ and no one could help us but Him. Then of course it is perfectly logical, for Christ is the only one who holdeth with us all in these things. He is our help! This is the truth noted in scripture which this messenger has shown Daniel. Michael (the name signifying 'He who is assuredly God'), would be the only one who would help this in time of need.

Psalms 146:3-6

"Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God:

Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is: which keepeth truth for ever:
There is no Prince either in heaven or in earth that anyone can put their trust in to help or strengthen us but Christ our Prince of Peace. It is He that maketh reconciliation with us to God and who strengthens the Covenant in His blood (Hebrews 9:17). The same Word of God made flesh that the book of John (chapter one) reiterates created heaven and earth and all that is therein. He is Michael, the help of God's people this prophesy is speaking of.

Note also, that this messenger tells Daniel that Michael is "His Prince". Who is the Prince or ruler of Daniel (and indeed the Church) but Christ? He is our Prince who alone holdeth with us in these matters. There is none other name from which we can get our help to overcome, other than "He who is assuredly God". He is one of the chief rulers in the triune Godhead who is designated as our means of help. Without this Prince standing for us, we don't stand, but fall!

The Angel or Messenger of the Lord, is God
The second objection is best illustrated in some theologians apparent misunderstanding of the word angel. Believe it or not, some theologians think because it says angel, it must be an angel and not the lord. But this only serves to highlight their reckless handling of scripture and lack of biblical scholarship. Because the precedent for the Lord being identified as an angel (messenger) is unquestionably demonstrated again and again very clearly in the scriptures. Christ is not an angel of the Lord, but He is the messenger of the Lord. And that's what the words translated angel literally means. Let's look at this phrase "angel of the LORD" in the light of scripture and glean from it if God indeed uses scripture this way. Our first example is in Genesis 31.

Genesis 31:11-13

"And the angel of God spake unto me in a dream, saying, Jacob: And I said, Here am I.

And he said, Lift up now thine eyes, and see, all the rams which leap upon the cattle are ringstraked, speckled, and grisled: for I have seen all that Laban doeth unto thee.

I am the God of Bethel, where thou anointedst the pillar, and where thou vowedst a vow unto me: now arise, get thee out from this land, and return unto the land of thy kindred".
Here we see clearly the Angel of the Lord identifies Himself as God. That is because this is not an angel but a messenger of God. We see clearly that this wording of "angel of the Lord" is quite consistent with the chief messenger (archangel) being God. Again,

Genesis 48:15-16

"And he blessed Joseph, and said, God, before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac did walk, the God which fed me all my life long unto this day,

The Angel which redeemed me from all evil, bless the lads; and let my name be named on them, and the name of my fathers Abraham and Isaac; and let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth".
Who is the Angel that redeemed him from evil but the lord Jesus Christ!

Luke 1:68

"Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,"
He is the redeeming Angel of God. There is no other redeemer but Christ! Therefore the redeeming angel of God must be the Lord Jesus Christ, one of three in the triune Godhead. One of the Chief rulers. We can see again in the illustration of Christ in the example of the burning bush and Moses.

Exodus 3:2-6

"And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.

And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.

And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.

And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.

Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God".
Here we see that the angel (messenger) of the Lord in the midst of the burning bush, is identified in verses 4 and 6 as the Lord God himself. Note that scripture says the bush burned but was not consumed. This is a "type" of Christ who went through the fires of Hell for us and yet was not consumed with the fire of God's wrath, neither did His flesh see corruption. As a refiners fire, we were purified in Christ's death and made as precious as gold (Zechariah 13), he having been raised without being consumed. This angel of the Lord in the burning bush is a picture of Christ. And this picture extends to the New Testament as well.

Acts 7:30

"And when forty years were expired, there appeared to him in the wilderness of mount Sina an angel of the Lord in a flame of fire in a bush.

When Moses saw it, he wondered at the sight: and as he drew near to behold it, the voice of the Lord came unto him,"
This angel of the Bush identified as "I AM" is none other than the Lord. And indeed Christ also illustrated that He was this "I AM", as he spoke in John:

John 8:57-58

"Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM."
This is the Angel of the Lord in the burning bush saying, "say I AM hath sent me". It is the Messenger of the Covenant, the Lord Jesus Christ. It is not unusual that God appears to man as this Messenger of the Lord. This word [mal'ak] or angel simply means Messenger, just as the New Testament word [aggelos] simply means messenger. A few examples illustrate this:

Matthew 11:10-11

"For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger [aggelos] before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he".
Is John the baptist an angel? No, yet here we have that word [aggelos] describing him. For he is a messenger of God, one who is "sent" with the tidings of God, the gospel message. That is what the word signifies. Again,

James 2:24-25

"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, [aggelos] and had sent them out another way?"
Of course those men Rahab the harlot sent out were men, not angels. But they were Messengers. This is the exact same word aggelos, or messenger. Likewise in the old testament, the same Hebrew word for Angel [mal'ak] is the word used for Messenger. Because it "is" the word Messenger just as aggelos is. Not the least of which is the Chief Messenger [mal'ak], the messenger of the Covenant, Jesus Christ himself.

Malachi 3:1

"Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger [mal'ak] of the Covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts".
This Angel or Messenger of the Covenant is again, the Lord Jesus Christ prophesied to come. And so we see it not unusual at all, for these are words which mean messenger. Simply because the Spirit beings in heaven are messengers of God (Angels if you will) doesn't preclude others from being messengers also. Another example is in the story of Hagar.

Genesis 16:9-13

"And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands.

And the angel of the LORD said unto her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude.

And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the LORD hath heard thy affliction.

And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.

And she called the name of the LORD that spake unto her, Thou God seest me: for she said, Have I also here looked after him that seeth me?"
This is God inspired scripture illustrating that this Angel (Messenger) of the Lord was God Himself speaking to hagar,

Genesis 21:17-18

"And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath heard the voice of the lad where he is.

Arise, lift up the lad, and hold him in thine hand; for I will make him a great nation".
Who will make of Him a great nation but the Lord. He is this Messenger who called to hagar out of heaven. Which again is illustrated in Genesis 22,

Genesis 22:15-18

"And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,

And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:

That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice".
It is God who will bless Abraham and multiply his seed and bless all the nations of the earth. He is this Angel or messenger from the Lord who does these things. Again, as illustrated in the trek in the wilderness of Sinai in Exodus 14:19 as compared with Exodus 13:21.

Exodus 14:19

"And the angel of God, which went before the camp of Israel, removed and went behind them; and the pillar of the cloud went from before their face, and stood behind them:"
Exodus 13:21

"And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:"
It was God who went before them, He is the messenger or "angel of God". It is the same as the Lord! This title is being used interchangeably:

Judges 13:21-22

"But the angel of the LORD did no more appear to Manoah and to his wife. Then Manoah knew that he was an angel of the LORD.

And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die, because we have seen God".
They were speaking with the Lord Himself, but it was not God the father in all His Glory because no man hath seen God the father and Lived. Moses just saw part of Him and lit up like a light bulb. No, we see God the father only on this side of the grave, only through Christ.

John 5:37

"And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape".
No man has heard the voice of the father or seen His shape at anytime. it is only through the Lord Jesus christ, the messenger of God that we see him. The phrase archangel or Chief Messenger of the LORD means Jesus Christ one of the Princes or Rulers who is our Help.

Judges 2:1

"And an angel of the LORD came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I sware unto your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you".
We know it was God who brought the Israelites up out of Egypt and brought them into the land which "HE" sware unto their fathers. The very fact that this angel of the Lord says it was His Covenant with them should alert even the novice that this is indeed the Lord. Judges 6:20-23 also gives the clear illustration of this.

And so there is not only precedent, there is overwhelming evidence of the Lord being called the Angel or Messenger of God. So no one who is even remotely biblically astute should be surprised that Michael, being Christ, would be called the Chief Angel or Messenger of God. It's not unique, it's typical of the way God would speak of Him. And dealing with all the scriptures honestly (and these are by no means all) we must come to the conclusion that God frequently uses the wording Angel to refer to the Lord! Angel in the literal sense of a messenger.

The passages dealing with
Michael, the angel of the Lord
So then, knowing all these things about the lord spoken of as the angel or Messenger, it is not difficult to understand how Jesus would be spoken of as the Chief messenger of the Lord. By itself, it doesn't prove Michael is the Lord Jesus Christ, but taken with the collective information about the chief messenger Michael it is practically a given.

Of course, I don't live in a theological vacuum so I'm well aware that seeing Michael as the Chief Messenger Jesus Christ goes against the grain of what many Churches today teach. Nevertheless I am convinced (by scripture) that this is indeed the case. Don't follow me, and don't follow them, follow the scriptures. Take all scripture in it's context, reconciling all, and we get a better picture of this Michael. Let's look at each passage where Michael is spoken about, and see just how (or if) it correlates.

The Voice of the Archangel
1st Thessalonians 4:16

"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord".
Here we see clear language where God says the Lord will come with the Voice of the Archangel or ruling or head Messenger. Why would God say that Jesus will return with the voice of the archangel, and it be someone else's voice? That makes no sense. He returns with the voice of Michael (He who assuredly is God), Christ's voice that will raise the dead and that the Church will hear and meet him in the air. Not some created being's voice, the voice of the Lord. In common language, that would be like me saying, "I'm going to Florida tomorrow, and will return with a shout of the voice of Micahel". That doesn't make much sense unless I am Micahel. I've learned long ago that it is extremely difficult to un-teach something which has been taught and accepted as true, and this doctrine that Michael is an angel is just such a case. Rightly discerning scripture is work, which I suppose is why so few bother to search this out. But to be sure the Lord raises the dead with His voice, it is this voice of the Chief Messenger of God.

John 5:26-29

"For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice,

And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation".
Not will hear the voice of an angel, but will hear "His" voice, for he is the Chief messenger of God called Michael who's voice we shall hear. Christ Jesus! This is the Shout, this is the Great noise, this is the voice of the Archangel, this is the last trump of God and the presence of the lord. These things are all spiritual pictures denoting the last trumpet and Christ's advent.

Exodus 19:16-18

"And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled.

And Moses brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether part of the mount.

And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly".
Hebrews 12:18-19

"For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest,

And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more:"
This is the Glory of God which shall come, this is the voice of the Chief messenger, the archangel, the Lord God himself. When the trumpet shall sound, and Christ comes with this voice of the chief messenger, all shall have been fulfilled.

The Devil and the body of Moses
Another passage we need to look at carefully which speaks of this archangel is Jude chapter one.

"Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee".
In one passage of scripture we see Michael and His army at war with the Devil and his army, but here we see him in dispute about the body of Moses, not wanting to judge for his accusations. Is there a contradiction? No, because God is painting spiritual pictures by using this language. There is no angel which has the power to contend with Satan. Satan is ruler of this world, the strong one who held the world in bondage with a heavy hand. The only Messenger who could contend with him and ransome then from his hand is Christ! Once Satan was defeated by the death of Christ, they then rule over him "through" Christ. Christ is the one who contended with the Devil about the body of Moses.

The "body of Moses" is signifying the body of the law under which the congregation was burdened, and which "only" Christ could be the help. Under the New Covenant with God, we are no longer burdened for Christ keeps the law for us perfectly, that we no longer sit condemned under. When God speaks of the scriptures, He often uses the phrase or term, "Moses and the Prophets" or "the law of Moses" or the "commandments of Moses". Of course we know that it's not Moses' law or his commands, it's God's law. But God uses these terms as a synonym for the law of God under which we sit condemned under the Old Testament (the body of Moses). A few examples:

1st Corinthians 9:9

"For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?"
This language is a synonym for the law of God, the scriptures. For Moses was the Old Testament "type" of Christ, and his body would be the Congregation under law, made like unto Christ as a "shadow" of things to come. We can see this as it speaks of the "angel of God" on the mountain.

Acts 7:37-38

"This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.

This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us: "
Again, Christ, the angel or messenger which spake to Moses on the Mountain. And He who God raised up like unto Moses, is Christ, the fulfilment of the "type". Him shall the people hear! Moses, and the law of Moses, is being pictured as the word or the law of God which man is under. But it is only in Christ that we can keep the law and will hear Him! Not in the body of Moses (the law) but in the body of Christ (Grace, or not under law).

2nd Corinthians 3:15

"But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart".
God uses the language "when Moses is read" to signify the law or the Word. Even when Jesus told the parable of Lazarus and the Rich man in Hell, when the Rich man said he wanted to go back to warn his brethren about the horrors of Hell, it was said to him, "they have Moses and the prophets (the law of the scriptures), let them hear it". But the rich man protested still that they needed more and would believe if one rose from the dead to tell them. To which the Lord put forth the illustration,

Luke 16:31

"And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead".
God again is signifying here that if one won't listen to the law, they won't listen to Christ who rose from the dead. That's the Spiritual truth put forth here. And God is using Moses as this synonym for the law of God. Before Jesus was Crucified, we see Moses and Elijah come to him (again, a picture of the WITNESS of the law and the prophets). Revelation chapter 11, again the two witnesses, a picture that the Church bringing the witness of the law and the prophets. These are all spiritual significations. But Christ came to fulfill the law that the Body of Moses, (God's people under law) could be set free from the law. As Christ said,

Matthew 5:17

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil".
The law of Moses stands, it's just that it is fulfilled or in other words, kept fully in Christ. In that sense, the law has ended for God's people. That is the dispute of the Devil with Michael! Satan uses the law to accuse us (for we are all transgressors of the law), but Christ foiled his plans.

Romans 10:4-5

"For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth".

For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them".
The Body of Moses is the law which the Old Testament saints couldn't keep anymore than we can. Satan accuses them (and us) by the law. Christ opened not His mouth (as a lamb is dumb before the slaughter) as He went to the cross because He stood laden with our sins, being our help, and was therefore guilty in the real sense. As Isaiah 53 says, God saw the travail of His soul and was satisfied with the payment. He paid the price for us, and delivered the body of Moses from death! We are now free from the condemnation of the law.

In Jude 9 when Michael (who assuredly is God the ruling Messenger) contends with the devil, He disputed about the body of Moses because it was war. Christ went forth conquering and he by the Power of God cast Satan (the great accuser) out and spoiled his kingdom of us. He set us Free! And God says, if this be true, then the Kingdom of God had come. Michael did cast out satan by the power of God, and so the kingdom of God "had" come. Israel had been delivered. Satan had nothing to accuse us with the law anymore.

Matthew 12:26-29

"And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.

But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house".
This is the dispute with Satan about the body of the law. He went to the cross willingly and opened not His mouth. He didn't bring against him a railing accusation, but said, "The Lord rebuke thee." , why? Because He was guilty, numbered with the transgressors for us. Laden with our sins He willingly went to the cross to atone for the transgressions of the law which we have broken. He couldn't say, "wrong Satan, the law doesn't condemn", because it did. Rather than accuse as Satan does, He assigned Satan's judgment (for every unrighteous thought is judged) unto the father, and went as a lamb to the slaughter to pay the price for the sin that He had become, for us.

2nd Corinthians 5:21

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him".
And being guilty with our sin, He suffered the wrath of God. He brought not accusation because though He was without sin, yet He carried our sins to the cross with him, thus satan's judgment would not be argued by the guilty, but by the raised Christ, in Righteousness.

Another of the chief complaints about Michael being Christ by some theologians is that they say that the fact that He says, "The Lord rebuke thee", means that he is not the Lord. But again, this shows their lack of careful study on the matter, as this event is pictured in the book of Zechariah.

Zechariah 3:1-3

"And he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.

And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?"
You will note as satan stood at the right hand of Christ to contend with Him, "The Lord" said to satan, "The Lord" rebuke thee! And so we see that argument goes right out the window because we have Joshua (or Jesus) clearly being called the Lord, and then clearly saying, The Lord rebuke thee. Again, instances of the three persons of the triune Godhead revealed. In both Jude 9 and Zechariah chapter 3 this is Jesus, the angel of the LORD who is resisted by Satan. It is Michael, the archangel, contending with Satan for legal rights to the body of Moses.

Satan's judgment is commended unto the father, Christ would not bring accusation for He was guilty by the law by being laden with our sins, and the Father would pour out his wrath upon him for us.

Isaiah 53:4-5

"Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed".
So burdened was He with them that great drops of blood poured off him in the garden. Man in this life will never know the agony which Christ suffered for the sins of the world. He took on flesh for us that He could pay the wages of Sin required by the law, in the flesh. To suffer death so that we could not be accused. And once the price was paid, the accuser satan was cast out of the Kingdom of God, no longer able to accuse and hold death over our heads because we couldn't keep the law of Moses. No longer is the body held in bondage because of him, it is now free, dead to sin, raised to life in Christ! Because He took in Him the seed of Abraham, they are set free. This is delineated in such verses as,

Hebrews 2:14-16

"Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham".
This is the Body of Moses. The Old testament body, the old Testament temple, the Old testament sacrifices, the Old Testament law, etc., are fulfilled or completed in Christ. The law has no more power over us because of what He did. This is explained beautifully in Romans chapter seven.

Romans 7:1-6

"Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God".

For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter".
By the language of of being married to "another" illustrates that God's people were betrothed to the body of the law before. That was our husband, that was the body of Moses that Christ disputed with Satan about. As those verses above indicate, there was only one way for us to be loosed from this husband, and that was the same way any woman can be loosed from her husband. If he be dead, then is she free.

In other words, this Word of truth is signifying that all unsaved people are married to the law of God. That is to say, even as the husband is to have dominion over the wife where she is to be in subjection to him (1st Peter 3:1-5), so the law has dominion over every unsaved person where they likewise are subject to the law. And man is condemned by this law. But as the word says, even as a human marriage is broken by death so that the woman is free from the law of her husband, so we are dead unto the law of Moses, free that the law has no more dominion over us. We can legitimately (legally) become the bride of Christ "only" because we are no longer married to the body of Moses (the Law).

Those verses illustrate that we are loosed from that body of Moses or old testament law, and married to the law of Christ! Michael (He who assuredly is God) has prevailed and conquered Satan and his army, hence, the "dispute" about the body of Moses, was won by Christ at the cross?

The Time when Michael shall Stand up
The next verse which we will look at which shows Michael this chief Messenger is in Daniel chapter 12. There we read,

"And at that time shall Michael stand up, The Great Prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.

And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt".
This again is in reference to Christ's second advent as it says again the dead shall rise and those who are written in the book shall be delivered. Some are raised to everlasting life and some are raised to everlasting contempt. This time of trouble correlates to the Great tribulation period which Jesus spoke about in matthew 24, saying in verses 29 to 31 that immediately after this tribulation, Christ would return on the clouds of Glory with the trump of God. This is the time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time, when the people shall be delivered. And so we see this is all going along consistently with the coming of the Lord, and this Messenger Michael being Christ!

Also note it says "The Great Prince". Who would be described as the Great Prince which stands up for the people when the dead are raises, but Christ? No one else qualifies as the great Prince to Help in this time of the raising of the dead to life and judgment. Christ is illustrated as this Great Prince throughout scripture.

Isaiah 9:6

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace".
This is the only Great Prince which stands for the people. It is because this great Prince stands for "His People" that they shall never fall, and that they have Peace with God, and that they are not judged with death as the unsaved will be. This is the Great prince Michael which stands for the people. When speaking about the rejection of Israel of Christ, we read,
Acts 3:14-15

"But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;

And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses".
In this Prince only, do we stand and do we find our help. Because He stands, we stand, for He is our strength, our deliverer and our Saviour.

Acts 5:30-31

"The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins".
This is He who is assuredly God, who is the great Prince which standeth for the People. That is what the Title Michael stands for. God says besides him, there is no Saviour (Isaiah 43:11, 45:21). This is the great Prince who loves us and who stands for the people.

Revelation 1:5

"And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the Prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,"
Because He stands for us, we stand in Righteousness, in Him! No better illustrated than in Ephesians.

Ephesians 6:11-14

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;"
Christ is this Robe of righteousness we wear, this sword which is the Word this armour of God. We Stand in Him only, because He stands for the people. He is our defense, and our strength. It is by this great Prince that we are those who are raised unto everlasting life, while the unsaved are raised unto everlasting contempt. We are washed in His blood that in God's eyes, we are righteous. And it is only by He who assuredly is God that we can stand before God, without condemnation on that great day of the Lord.

Michael and the War in Heaven
This is the passage which is the most controversial about Michael. Some Theologians see this as an "actual" war that took place literally in heaven. This, despite the fact that the whole chapter is so obviously using symbolic terms and figurative language. Even without looking hard we can note the obvious inconsistencies of such an interpretation. We see this pregnant Woman in this heaven. Is this a Literal Woman floating around in literal heaven? Immediately we say that's ludicrous. So then how do we make a woman who is not literally floating in a literal heaven symbolic, and then in the next few verses take that same heaven and make it a literal war in literal heaven? It bridges on the ridiculous. Further, the stars were cast from this heaven by the tail of this dragon. And remember, the Dragon is in that same heaven accosting the pregnant woman. Literal? Hardly, yet again some theologians totally ignore this and claim it's a literal war in heaven of Michael and angels. This is sloppy exegesis of the highest order. This heaven is a symbolic picture (vision) of the Kingdom of God and how there was spiritual warfare as Christ (Michael) came to cast the accuser out. Remember what we saw about His disputing with the Devil about the body of Moses? This is all related. Christ came to cast the accuser down and establish the Kingdom of God in Righteousness in Him. When we see the symbolism in Revelation chapter 12 of Michael and His messengers fighting against the Satan and his messengers, it is a picture of Christ, the ruling Messenger going forth in war against Satan and those He rules over. They are the two who have battled from the very beginning (Gen. 3:15). Christ against Satan to help the Woman. To be sure, there is no Chief Messenger or angel who could defeat Satan and kick him out of the kingdom except Christ! He is the ruling messenger with the title of Michael who defeated Satan at the cross. Not an Angel. Let's look at the pertinent scriptures.

Revelation 12:7-9

"And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

and the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him".
The symbolism of Satan as the serpent who bruised Christ's heel is well established as taking place at the cross. The warfare was a Spiritual warfare, not in literal heaven. When Revelation chapter 12 speaks of this woman "travailing in birth", it is talking about the pains that the Congregation Israel was going through at the time before the first advent of Christ. Israel was in a state of trouble. Her paths were crooked, and the prophets and priests were gone out of the way that an apostasy had overcome it. Scripture says the Kingdom of heaven suffereth violence until John, and the violent take it by force (Matt. 11:12). This is the woman in heaven and satan accosting her! This was a time of trouble and Israel is pictured as a woman in the pains of birth, who needs to be delivered (Jeremiah 4:31). This is all the picture of the Kingdom of God and how it would come to be loosed from the grip of death which the accuser held over it.

When Isaiah prophesies of this and says Jerusalem's warfare was accomplished, it wasn't talking about literal war with swords or staves. It's a warfare infinitely more important. We see this pictured gloriously as Jesus sends the Seventy out two by two with the gospel, and they returned saying SATAN couldn't HARM them, (ye shall take up serpents -mark 16) and even the spirits were subject to them. Christ's Messengers (not angels) had this Power, because of what Christ did. Their battle gear was the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. That was what they battled with, and their victory was assured in Christ! listen and HEAR what Jesus tells His messengers as He sends them out two by two.

Luke 10:16-18

"He that heareth you heareth Me; and he that despiseth you despiseth Me; and he that despiseth Me despiseth Him that sent Me.
Jesus is saying here, if they fight you, they are fighting Me, and if they fight Me, they fight against God. I.e., he is telling them they represent God and any enmity against Christ's Messengers, is then enmity against God! , It Continues in verse 17,

And the 70 returned again with joy, saying, LORD, even the DEVILS are SUBJECT unto us through THY name.
You see, Satan has no power to stand against them. It was by the Power of Christ that the devils were subject to these Messengers of the Lord, because He, Michael, was assuredly God, and they could not stand against Him. The Seventy Christ sent out rejoiced at this! Note "carefully" in the next verse, Christ's response to their Joy over their victory over devils,

And He said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from Heaven."
And that falling is exactly what the verses of Revelation chapter 12 is referring to when it says Satan was then cast out. This signifies that Satan had no more power over the army of God, and the kingdom of Heaven would go forth to the world because of it. That accuser Satan would be cast out of it, and the bondage wherewith he held men would be broken by the Cross. This episode was a picture of what the finished work of Christ would do. It would destroy (bring Him down/Idle) Satan (Hebrews 2:14), so that the saints could be free from his bondage whereby he held death over them. His accusations against the Body would now ring hollow as Christ's death put teeth to the Covenant. Christ would now build His Church, and the gates of Hell would not prevail over it. Satan has been defeated, cast out, and bound that the Lord could FREE the prisoners and Build His Church. The same picture of Joy as the Woman is delivered Jesus talked about. A Victory by the blood of the lamb (Rev. 12). The Kingdom suffered violence, but Christ would bring peace.

Hebrews 2:14

", that through death, He might destroy him that hath the power of death, that is the devil,

and deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage."
Satan was cast out of the kingdom making it secure. He was the accuser of the brethren by law because he held them in bondage with the fear of death over them, but Christ delivered us from that bondage by paying the wages of sin for us, and thus cast the accuser (sin) out. we are no longer in bondage to sin, no longer in bondage to Satan. Christ Conquered Him and he as lightning fell from heaven. When Jesus told the seventy that He saw Satan as lightning (God's judgment) fall from heaven, this is what he was talking about. He saw the Victory of the cross that make the saints more than conquerors in their spiritual warfare. Christ cast out the serpent and keeps the messengers from harm by the scorpions and dragon and all power of the enemy (see the Revelation chapter 12 study).

Some people forget the symbolism of Revelation, and get confused with looking at impossible interpretations. Christ gave us the power to overcome Satan and that NOTHING Satan could do can harm us. He can Kill us, have us stoned to death, or fed to the Lions, but ultimately, he has lost and has no power in the Kingdom because his accusations (sin) mean nothing because of Christ's Work. He cannot harm us in any way, and certainly not by false Gospel. Again,

Luke 10:18

", I beheld Satan as Lightning fall from heaven. Behold I give you power to tred on SERPENTS and SCORPIONS, and over all power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you."
There are some misguided souls who want to go out into the desert and handle literal snakes. But that's not what's in view. When Mark 16 says we can pick up serpents and not be harmed, and when this verse says we can tred on serpents and scorpions and not be hurt, what is in view is Satan. "He" is the Serpent that cannot harm us, not a snake in the grass. "He" is the scorpion whose sting in his tail cannot harm us. These are Symbolic terms, not putting forth a promise of literal immunity from snakes or crawlers of the night like Scorpions!

This is the symbolism of God's Word, and unless we start listening to God's Word, we cannot begin to know what's what as far as interpretation. We will leave ourselves open for any type of deception. But when you get it from the Bible, by the Holy Spirit that tells you it's true, you know that you are on the right track. It was Christ who cast Satan from heaven, not an Angel, and it's through Christ that we have the power over serpents, scorpions, and poisonous gospel drinks. Not literal poisons, but the poisons from the lips of Satan's false Prophets.

And how did these Messengers of Michael (He who is assuredly God) overcome Satan and his messengers? Don't ask man, get it DIRECTLY from the scriptures. And scripture tells us,

Revelation 12:10

"And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, now is come Salvation and strength, and the Kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of the brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night."
The accuser of the brethren is sin. Satan is the essence, the embodiment of sin. But at the cross Michael (Christ) cast down the accuser by purging us from sin, and destroying (bringing idle down) Satan who held this fear of death over us (Hebrews. 2:14). we read, Now has come Salvation and Strength! At the victory of the Cross, not by swords and fighting in literal Heaven.

Revelation 12:11

"And they overcame him by the blood of the lamb, and by the word of their testimony, and they loved not their lives unto the death."
The Messengers of Michael overcame Satan how? By attacking them with swords or clubs in literal heaven? God forbid, but by the Blood of Christ, and by the WORD of their testimony, and they loved not their lives even unto death. Were they testifying in heaven? No, their testimony is in earth. , Even unto death! Can angels die? Study these scriptures carefully, and you will see that it refers symbolically to Christ defeating Satan and his messengers, and they and he, were cast out of the kingdom of Heaven, and the Kingdom given to another (see matthew 8:10-12 carefully). Those who Jesus said were of their father the Devil, are the messengers of the Dragon. Those who Jesus were talking about in Matthew saying the Children of the Kingdom would be cast out, are those who fought with Satan "against Him". They are the unsaved messengers of Israel (the Kingdom). They are the fallen messengers blinded in part (except for the remnant). This is the Spiritual battle fought at the cross. Satan fought and lost, and his house was spoiled. He "NO LONGER" can accuse the brethren because they are no longer of his household, under the bondage of sin. Christ cast Satan out of the Kingdom of God and made it so we could be freed from captivity there. Consider wisely,

Matthew 12:28-29

"But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you,

or else how can one enter into a strong man's house and spoil his goods, except he first Bind the strong man? and then He will spoil his goods".
Christ "did" cast out devils by the Spirit of God, and so the kingdom of God had indeed come unto them. And He was the one who spoiled (took by right of conquest) the goods of Satan. Those goods were you and I who the accuser Satan held in bondage to sin. But note that Jesus tells us, FIRST Satan had to be bound! i.e., Satan was bound at the cross in order that Christ could spoil his house. By the cross is devils cast out and the accuser can no longer make accusation of us because of sin, for sin has been washed away. Because of the work of Christ sin has been paid for, and now is Salvation and the kingdom of our God come "without the accuser" in it! Sin cannot condemn us anymore. No serpent can hold us anymore, nor hurt us anymore. We overcame him by the blood of the lamb. That is the marvelous symbolism here in verse eleven. When we look at this biblically and logically, who can cast satan out of the Kingdom of heaven but Christ Himself? No one can but He who assuredly is God. Michael, our Prince who standeth for the people!

Conclusion
From all that we have seen in scripture from this study, Jesus is the only one who qualifies to be Michael, the one who comes to help the Lord's people. He is the only chief messenger of God who does all these things. The only one who could battle Satan and cast down the accuser of us, that we are no longer in fear of death. For sin and the law has no more power of death for us. The Archangel Michael is the Chief Ruler of thy people, but He is not a created being. This angel or Messenger of the Lord has appeared time and again in the Old Testament to illustrate, He was assuredly God. Michael, the Great prince and Chief Messenger of the living God!

Peace,

www.mountainretreatorg.net/bible/michael.html

ok, so i didn't acctually have enough patient 2 read all that, but------no Christ is not Micheal The Archangel---Micheal is an Angel who stands beside the throne of God, he is an "Arcangel" ---N Jesus is Jesus-----!(I obviously can't start telling u all he is, u probably know wink)
Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 01, 2007
Nella:

ok, so i didn't acctually have enough patient 2 read all that, but------no Christ is not Micheal The Archangel---Micheal is an Angel who stands beside the throne of God, he is an "Arcangel" ---N Jesus is Jesus-----!(I obviously can't start telling u all he is, u probably know wink)

How would the eyes of your understanding be open?
Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by ademiife(m): 4:34pm On Apr 03, 2007
Reading through the Scriptures I certainly agree that Jesus is same as the Archangel Michael. But then, permit my ignorance: Is God a Trinity? And in explaining, can you define what Trinity is?
Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by sleek29(m): 12:59pm On Jul 09, 2009
Jehovah witnesses lipsrsealed
Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 09, 2009
When Satan tempted Jesus, he deliberately misinterpreted the scriptures. Now I'm not sure whether this is deliberate or not, but I do know one thing - it's misinterpretation.
Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by yommyuk: 2:24am On Jul 11, 2009
Jesus christ is not Michael The Archangel.

Hebrew 1:3-6
The son radiates God's own glory and expresses the very character of God, and sustains everything by the mighty power of his command.
When he had cleansed us from our sins, he sat down in the place of honor at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven. This shows that the
Son is far greater than the angels, just as the name God gave him is greater than their names. For God never said to any angel what he said
to Jesus: You are my Son. Today I have become your father. God also said " I will be his Father and he will be my son". Let all of God's angels
worship him.

However St Michael is the Chief archangel invoked during spirtual warfare. He is known to bear a sword as a tool of defence against the enemy.
He is known to have taken the position originally assigned to satan b4 the dragon's fall. The position is the highest rank of the angels. In
The spiritual realm there are ranks. That is why as christains we are implored to develop our spiritualilty to full maturity. There are evil angels and
good Angels. The evil ones where the 1/3 cast from heaven to earth with the dragon. They are still alive and kicking. All angels are assigned
different duties. Like angel Gabriel - Messanger of Good News, Angel Raphel - messanger of healing, There is also Angel Uriel - Messanger of Light
and many more.

There are some revelations that come directly from Jesus christ himself which may seem outside the scope of the bible.
It is called Spiritual Insight into the Mysteries of God. (Galatians 1:11-13) - beyond human reasoning.

There is a song that we sing in our church

Holy Michael, lift up your sword so we can conquer
all of the enemies of the Holy Church
May the pregnants ones give birth
May the barren ones be made pregnant
By the Authority of christ
May Halleluyah become our song
[b].[/b]
Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 11, 2009
This is puere heresy worse than the arian heresy,Arius of alexandria did not even bring Jesus as low as the angels.

Micheal is an arch angel.one of the seven archangels who stand in the presence of God.some of the other arch angels include Gabriel,Raphael and Uriel.
Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by Bobbyaf(m): 6:23am On Jul 12, 2009
Christ is indeed Michael the arch angel, but He is not an angel in the truest sense. Archangel is merely a term used to show that Jesus is the chief messenger in heaven. He is the chief mouth piece of His Father. As was pointed out by the author of this thread arche is a Greek word for chief, or ruler, while angel is from the Greek word angellos meaning messenger.

Its just a play on words. I understand the concern that Christians have when they hear it said that Jesus is an angel. Rest assured He is not an angel.

Do you all remember when Moses spoke to God in the burning bush? Don't you find it strange that Moses referred to God as the "angel of the Lord"

That was Jesus representing His Father. He came as a messenger. In the burning bush He was called "the angel of the Lord".
Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 12, 2009
Bobbyaf:

Christ is indeed Michael the arch angel, but He is not an angel in the truest sense. Archangel is merely a term used to show that Jesus is the chief messenger in heaven. He is the chief mouth piece of His Father. As was pointed out by the author of this thread arche is a Greek word for chief, or ruler, while angel is from the Greek word angellos meaning messenger.

Its just a play on words. I understand the concern that Christians have when they hear it said that Jesus is an angel. Rest assured He is not an angel.

Do you all remember when Moses spoke to God in the burning bush? Don't you find it strange that Moses referred to God as the "angel of the Lord"

That was Jesus representing His Father. He came as a messenger. In the burning bush He was called "the angel of the Lord".

Now I am fully convince that u are a heretic,any one that brings JESUS as low as an angel is not a christian.

The bible clearly tells us hat christ is far above the angels

Heb1;4-6
The son was made greater than the angels just as the name God gave him is greater than theirs.

For God never said to any of his angels"You are my son,today I have become your father" nor did God say about any angel "I will be his father and he will be my son"

But when God was about to send his son into the worldhe said "all God's angels must worship him.

Heb1;8 about the son however God said "your kingdom o[b] GOD[/b] will last forever.

This Bible passages clearly states that JESUS is God and far above he angels.
Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by Bobbyaf(m): 8:39pm On Jul 12, 2009
Now I am fully convince that u are a heretic,any one that brings JESUS as low as an angel is not a christian.

The bible clearly tells us hat christ is far above the angels

Heb1;4-6
The son was made greater than the angels just as the name God gave him is greater than theirs.

For God never said to any of his angels"You are my son,today I have become your father" nor did God say about any angel "I will be his father and he will be my son"

But when God was about to send his son into the worldhe said  "all God's angels must worship him.

Heb1;8  about the son however God said "your kingdom o GOD will last forever.

This Bible passages clearly states that JESUS is God and far above he angels.

Are you stupid or are you stupid? Choose,  grin

Didn't you read what I said above? I don't think so! You need a remedial class in English comprehension.
Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by Ndipe(m): 11:11pm On Nov 09, 2010
Jesus Christ is not Michael the Archangel.

Jude 1:9: Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!''

When Jesus Christ was tempted by the devil, here is what He said.

Matthew 4:7: Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by Joagbaje(m): 9:25am On Nov 10, 2010
@babaearly

The long epistle you wrote , will take me several weeks to respond to in details but I will just summarise my response.
There are just little misconceptions which is causing misunderstanding. Angel micheal is not Jesus christ.The fa

The word Michael is of Hebrew origin [miykael] and most nearly means "He who is assuredly God". Taken from the root Hebrew words [miy] (who is), [kiy] (assuredly), and ['el] (God). Kiy, the prepositional prefix has also been rendered as meaning "who is certainly God" or "who is as God"

The meaning of Micheal is simply "who is like God"  that should not be alarming because . Several people bore the name MICHEAL in the bible.  El in Hebrew makes reference to God.  Several isrealites had El in their names. Elisha means " The God of the coming one"  That doesn't mean Elisha is God. Joshua is the "heberew" word for "Jesus". That settles that for Michael.

Satan was spiritually superior to Michael that's why Micheal could not insult him over the body of Moses. He had to use Gods name.

9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

You talked about Micheal being prince And Jesus being prince , which according to you represents the trinity.

The truth here is that their are demonic princes Satan appointed over lands , nations and continentsfamilies and individuals  . The same way God assigned angels over certain regions,  churches and missions and individuals. The bible also call them rulers of darkness and principalities.

Ephesians 6:12
12 For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against persons without bodies-- the evil rulers of the unseen world, those mighty satanic beings and great evil princes of darkness who rule this world; [/b]and against huge numbers of wicked spirits in the spirit world.

Satan has his own demonic president in the us, he has in aso rock , an invisible being who tire to enforce the will of satan in world affairs. That's why someone may go for a political office with good intention and turns out more terrible than his predecessors .

So the same way God has angelic beings assigned for different purposes and region. In the book of revelation, he assigned several angels to several churches. Angel Michael is the angel assigned over the nation of Israel . There was an earthly prince of Persia , but Satan also appointed a demon as ruler over Persia , an invicible prince.

[b]Daniel 10:20-21

20 Then said he, Knowest thou wherefore I come unto thee? and now will I return to fight with the prince of Persia: and when I am gone forth, lo, the prince of Grecia shall come. 21 But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and[ there is] none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince. 

It should be noteworthy what the angel said in verse 20 up here that after the defeat of prince of Persia , the prince of Grecia shall come. Historically , after Persia empire collapse , Greece became world power, and a demonic being "prince of greecia" has to replace the "priznce of Persia"

Daniel 10:20
----and now will I return to fight with the prince of Persia: and when I am gone forth, lo, the prince of Grecia shall come

So micheal was prince over the nation of isarael officially.

1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: .

The word prince is another use for arch angel. The book of Hebrews made it clear that jesus is greater than angels. Look at the use of the language " one of the chief princes". It is derogatory to represent Jesus.

13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by newmi(m): 3:16pm On Nov 10, 2010
l would reply extensively at a later occassion but for the records; THIS IS REAL RIDICULOUS!!! LOL

1 Like

Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:04pm On Nov 10, 2010
Jesus is definitely not Arch-Angel Micheal because Mike kicks royal butt BIG TYME!!

Check it out

http://www.supernatural.tv/epguides/s2/hholy.htm

[img]http://www.supernatural.tv/themes/fiblack/images/logo.gif[/img]
Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by Jenwitemi(m): 5:35pm On Nov 10, 2010
Jesus can be whatever anybody wants him to be. No be only archangel Michael, he can also be Messi the archfootballer.
Re: Jesus Christ Is Michael The Archangel by Ndipe(m): 10:27pm On Nov 10, 2010
Hebrews 1:1-5 (English Standard Version)

Hebrews 1
The Supremacy of God’s Son
1Long ago, at many times and(A) in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2but(B) in these last days(C) he has spoken to us by(D) his Son, whom he appointed(E) the heir of all things,(F) through whom also he created(G) the world. 3He is the radiance of the glory of God and(H) the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power.(I) After making purification for sins,(J) he sat down(K) at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4having become as much superior to angels as the name(L) he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.
5 For to which of the angels did God ever say,
   (M) "You are my Son,
today I have begotten you"?

None: He did not say that to Michael or the rest of the Angels. So, Jesus Christ is distinct from Michael. He, Jesus Christ, created Michael and the rest of the Angels.

(1) (Reply)

Eledumare Grant Me The Wisdom Of Wole Soyinka / Brother Franklin At Offering Time / Have You Thanked Him Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 471
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.