Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,699 members, 7,802,070 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:41 AM

At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. (7396 Views)

Vincent Enyeama Finally Quits Unceremoniously. / Breaking News: Keshi Finally Quits Eagles’ Job / Iheanacho Quits Eagles For Man City. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by july123(m): 8:57pm On Jun 24, 2010
Super Eagles’ skipper, Nwankwo Kanu, has finally announced his retirement from the national team after Nigeria failed to advance beyond the first round of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

"I started my career in Africa and I'm happy that it ended in an African country. After this tournament, I will now go home and meet my family who were also here today to see me play my last match for team. They were all happy to see me in Nigeria's colours and I'm so happy about it.

“Don't ask me where I'm going from here. I would have to think and plan on where I'm going because there were offers everywhere”.

The Eagles’ skipper said he was disappointed that the team couldn't utilise all its scoring chances against South Korea.
Kanu began his career, aged sixteen, at First Division club, Federation Works, before moving to Iwuanyanwu Nationale in 1992. After a notable performance at the Under-17 World Championships he was signed by Dutch Eredivisie AFC Ajax in 1989 for €207,047. He made his Ajax debut the following year and went on to score 25 goals in 54 appearances. Kanu also came on as a sub in Ajax's 1995 Champions League final win over AC Milan. In 1996, Ajax sold Kanu to Serie

A side Internazionale for around $4.7 million; that summer he captained the Nigerian team that won gold at the Olympics, and scored two late goals in the semi-finals against powerhouse, Brazil to overturn a 2–3 scoreline into a 4–3 win in extra time.

Kanu was also named African Footballer of the Year for that year. However, soon after returning from the Olympics, Kanu underwent a medical examination at Inter, which revealed a serious heart defect; he underwent surgery in November 1996 to replace an aortic valve and did not return to his club until April 1997. In interviews, Kanu frequently cites his faith as a Christian, and has often mentioned the trying time of his career as an occasion when he prayed to God. Kanu's experience also led to his founding Kanu Heart Foundation, an organisation that helps predominantly young African children who suffer heart defects. Kanu is known throughout Africa for his philanthropic work.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/sports/2010/june/24/sports-24-06-2010-002.htm
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by 12large: 9:12pm On Jun 24, 2010
useless player from 2004 to 2010. i guess kanu,yobo,yakubu,utaka experience has done us a good world cup appearance, why is he quitting he should stay till 2014 i think his experience might win us the world cup.
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by IbrahimB: 9:31pm On Jun 24, 2010
What of Yakubu? Is he not retiring too?
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by semid4lyfe(m): 10:00pm On Jun 24, 2010
Best news I've heard today. Yobo, Shittu, Rabiu Afolabi, Yakubu, J. Utaka, Etuhu and Ayila should follow suit.
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by Acidosis(m): 10:05pm On Jun 24, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Best news I've heard today. Yobo, Shittu, Rabiu Afolabi, Yakubu, J. Utaka, Etuhu and Ayila should follow suit.

That's good but I Etuhu & Ayila won't lobby their way in for 2014
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by chidichris(m): 10:40pm On Jun 24, 2010
are this useless that we cannot celebrate heroes?
a man that has done his best in serving this country is termed useless by an slowpoke here just because u have access to internet.
kanu is worthy of having a national holidays over his international retirement.
kanu has on one or two occassions brought joy to 90% of nigerians.
kanu's type comes once in a long time.
long live kanu, long live kanu and long live kanu.
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by medjai(m): 10:42pm On Jun 24, 2010
everything good must come to an end. Kanu has had a glorious career at international level and will forever be remembered as one Africa's footballing legend.
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jun 24, 2010
Adiew kanu. Rip
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by tayoast(m): 11:36pm On Jun 24, 2010
at last
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by binhozie(m): 11:54pm On Jun 24, 2010
toba:

Adiew kanu. Rip

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by 12large: 11:56pm On Jun 24, 2010
abeg let this old fool stay till 2018 i think his experience would win us nations cup 2012 and worldcup 2014 afterall his experience have already won us 6nations cup and no goal.
chidicris when you don't respect your how can someone respect you. kanu should have quit since but he wanted his experience
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by chelseabmw(m): 12:00am On Jun 25, 2010
more to come.we are waiting.who is next?
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by tayoast(m): 12:01am On Jun 25, 2010
^^Osaze
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by medjai(m): 12:12am On Jun 25, 2010
I think the high point of his career is the Atlanta 96 Olympics where he captained Nigeria to glory beating Brazil, where he scored a brace and Argentina to win the gold medal
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by BloodShed1: 12:21am On Jun 25, 2010
Damn, some of the posts here,

It had to end someday cry.
I still hope he stays involved in Nigerian football though.

Thank you Kanu for your services and your works off the pitch, you have done our country proud.
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by badman(m): 12:23am On Jun 25, 2010
ok first hurdle crossed, please retire from club football too lipsrsealed
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by mensdept: 12:31am On Jun 25, 2010
Kanu you did well. You were better than many players who wore that jersey, and a better player than many people here on Nairaland castigating you. So I hope others like Yakubu would follow your footsteps,
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by Redman44(m): 12:34am On Jun 25, 2010
Kanu has done well for Nigeria. It is good that he is retiring at this moment. He remains one of Nigeria's best players in history. I really respect him and I'll never forget those classic goals he scored against Brazil at the Olympics in 1996. Though he has lost form in recent years, he still retains his good heart. Nigerians owe him a lot for the patriotism he has displayed during his career. I feel the Federal Government should honour him by hosting him to a dinner and naming a stadium after him. Thank you, Papillo cool cool cool cool

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by siebel(m): 12:36am On Jun 25, 2010
Well, for those who fink Kanu is useless, I will advise you read up his profile on the BBC site: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8759861.stm.
Truth is,  Papillo as he's fondly called remains Nigeria's greatest ever, at least 4 now! wink
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by Nobody: 12:39am On Jun 25, 2010
Thank you kanu, hope you will play for Nigeria in your next life. Tall fo'ol, why is he retiring now, let him wait till 2014 now. he ought to have retired since 1996 after the Olympics. Yakubu, Ayila, Shittu, martins, kaita et al, what are you still waiting for?
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by damola1: 12:49am On Jun 25, 2010
hE'S been the most fortunate and one of the most reliable long standing players.

In the last game, he still did represent well, and I still love his style of play, yak was better off as a defensive midfielder, and I will always blame the chess player, the coach is a goat, but still, Nigeria will certainly be grateful for the glory you brought to us. Thank you Kanu, God bless you, and of course your cute son and entire family. I am proud of you.
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by oloritinu: 1:12am On Jun 25, 2010
if it is true kanu retires.

he is a true nigerian!!!!proudly nigerian.

i respect you kanu.
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by Nobody: 1:34am On Jun 25, 2010
12large:

abeg let this old fool stay till 2018 i think his experience would win us nations cup 2012 and worldcup 2014 afterall his experience have already won us 6nations cup and no goal.
chidicris when you don't respect your how can someone respect you. kanu should have quit since but he wanted his experience
what in your life have you done for Nigeria.at least Kanu won some medals.you are here churning out gabbage while the poor(old) man dey him house for london dey count millions made not thru yahoo,yahoo,otokoto but thru his skills.last 3 yrs he still won something and still fools like u are not saatisfied,you fit play ball sef
kanu
you do well,at least you retired with a good performance
at least he said he is retiring unlike others that were forced out
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by mazaje(m): 1:34am On Jun 25, 2010
Thanks for your service to the nation both on and off the pitch. . .
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by viewlekan: 1:36am On Jun 25, 2010
12large:

useless player from 2004 to 2010. i guess kanu,yobo,yakubu,utaka experience has done us a good world cup appearance, why is he quitting he should stay till 2014 i think his experience might win us the world cup.

The first part of your post is quite ridiculous. In all honesty, Kanu remains one of the best footballers Nigeria ever had. He gave the country his all and was always proud to be a Nigerian. I have watched lots of his interviews on BBC and CNN, yes, he is not eloquent but he never ceased to acknowlege his love for for Nigeria and football. This dude also saved a lot of lives through his Kanu Heart Foundation by not only consistently raising awareness about the dangers of heart conditions but also sponsoring victims of the disease for corrective operations.

I watched a lot of portsmouth matches last season and I never saw Kanu play the way he did against the South Koreans. I am sure we all know that Kanu uses the notorious " Nigerian age" which means he must be close to his 40s if not older but he showed more exuberance and agility than players that are purportedly in their early -mid twenties, shocked. I am not making any excuses for Kanu, because he also was part of the Eagles mafia that dominated the football scene from Jo Bonfere era to the abysmal Amodu era. None of us can categorically comment on the role he played in this caucus that led to the unbelievable decline of football in Nigeria but I would always remember Kanu for the smiles he brought to millions of Nigerians .

P.S  No one has the right to suggest he retired from Club football, he has the right to play as long as his legs and health dictate. The decision is strictly left to him!!

Kanu well done, nutin do you !!
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by Nobody: 1:37am On Jun 25, 2010
… Says sacking Amodu was a mistake
By George Aluo & Richard Jideaka
Thursday, June 24 , 2010

•Osaze
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

In a surprise twist of opinion, Osaze Odemwingie has said that it was a mistake to fire Shuaibu Amodu and replace him with Lars Lagerback.

Odemwingie was one of the players who spoke up against Amodu at the Africa Nations Cup in Angola, leading to the axing of the BCC Lions’ former coach.
But after a disastrous World Cup outing where Nigeria finished bottom of a winnable group with just one point out of nine, the Lokomotiv Moscow forward said that it was a mistake to fire Amodu.

"They should not have fired Amodu. I think that was a mistake," he said. Odewmingie went on to say that Nigeria did not have a team good enough to challenge the best.

"To be honest, we don't have the team that can win the World Cup. If you go down to the roots, most of us, including myself, in our clubs we are not doing great.
"We are not like the big team we used to be, having players in the big clubs and coming here with the ambition to win the Cup. But definitely we could have done much better."
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by lordkrato(m): 1:44am On Jun 25, 2010
I must say that we Nigerians are not suffering from corruption,or any of what is painted outside.

The Problem is pure selfishness and a lack of regard for others.

Kanu was a Fine player,the most intelligent and creative player on the squad to south africa so if he retires,it's no reason for the annoying comments here,zidane headbutted a player,maradona did drugs,even after that,the country still saw the good they did,but us ? no,he was too old,etc,

Heaven helps those who help themselves,Nigerians Help yourselves,
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by Nobody: 1:48am On Jun 25, 2010
kanu has won 16 titles and 2 individual honors
wow
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by donchuky(m): 1:50am On Jun 25, 2010
Its so unfortunate that we Nigerians forget in a hurry, instead of commending and wishing him all the best you guys are here calling him names, but u ppl did nt call him names all these yrs he was relentless giving in his best during his youthful yrs. May be we should go down the memory lane a little bite  which name did u guys gave when he was scoring goals that earn Nigeria a cup in Japan 1992 without a single defeat, the same goes to Atalanta when he single handedly rescued us from embarrassment in the hands of mighty Brazil and other achievements that made him the most decorated player in Africa (PAPILO I GUESS, Second half magician etc). Guys this forum is being watch all over the world, lets make a constructive and intelligent argument that will stand the test of time and that will portal this forum as a forum for intellectuals . To our amiable skippo i wish u well  cause you hv serve and made ur motherland proud .Ur an icon to behold we are still banking on you for support on the younger ones you left behind and in building a new sporting community in Nigeria. PAPILO GOOD BYE ONCE MORE BUT NOT GOOD NIGHT HURRY!!!!!  wink cool
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by Kgdavid(m): 1:51am On Jun 25, 2010
it has been a joy watching Kanu play. he will forever live on in my heart.
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by Mudley313: 2:02am On Jun 25, 2010
i doff my hat to the great papilo. one of naijas fynest EVER in the game of the round leather
Re: At Last, Kanu Quits Eagles. by asofejo(m): 2:54am On Jun 25, 2010
Russia-based striker Osaze Odemwingie has questioned the leadership of Super Eagles skipper Nwankwo Kanu, alleging that the Portsmouth ace has failed to stand up for the national team.

Odemwingie accused Kanu of not protecting the interests of the players and would rather prefer to stay in the good books of the Nigeria Football Federation.

“Osaze is not happy with how Kanu has led the Eagles, he said Kanu is not ready to rock the boat so as to remain in the good books of the officials,” a source close to the team told mtnfootball.com

The outspoken Locomotiv Moscow star also confronted Kanu‘s vice-captain Joseph Yobo for hiding an injury to play in the final Group B match against South Korea in Durban.

Yobo was forced by injury to quit midway through the crucial match for left-back Elderson Echiejile to come in as Rabiu Afolabi moved to his more familiar role in the heart of the back four.

An NFF official told mtnfootball.com that Odemwingie had been a ”bad influence” on the team and was dropped by Lars Lagerback because they did not play to the tactical instructions of the Swedish coach.

souce:http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Think Obafemi Martins Is A Camerounian! / Paul Pogba Look Alike Sighted In Sabo,abeokuta / Iyabo Abade Now James Johnson:would You Date Her/him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.