Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:22 AM

Should I Lie About Work Experience? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Lie About Work Experience? (6920 Views)

Photo: This Is The Bitter Truth About Work Place / How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate / Work Experience Or Further Study. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Lie About Work Experience? by DoubleN(m): 7:32am On Mar 31, 2007
My fellow Nairalanders,
I have an IT professional Certificate but all the Job offers i see always include work experience of 2 to 5 years.How do i go about this cos i have no work experience but i knw i'll perform well on the Job.Do i lie about my work experience? Please help me cos i am confused and in need of advice
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by segunfunmi(f): 9:51am On Mar 31, 2007
you dont need to lie,because they will get to know.also i want you to know that your own job will come,the one that will last.
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by tanker(m): 5:46pm On Mar 31, 2007
my friend i've always had the same feeling at times but at the end u see there is no essence in lying. just play it nice and cool and they 'll come to u. can somebody say Amen. wink
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by DoubleN(m): 9:49pm On Mar 31, 2007
Thanks my people i'll do just that and hang on.Amen to ur amen
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by alphazulu: 11:05pm On Mar 31, 2007
howdy,
pls kindly consider all the advice.whatever is yours will NEVER miss you!
so u dont need to lie at all.
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by saliat(f): 9:12pm On Apr 01, 2007
good people!
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by mankevo(m): 11:14am On Apr 03, 2007
Good ones out there!!

You see,LYING means laying the foundation of your career on FALSEHOOD grin
Yours will definitly come your way. ALL THE BEST cool
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by Nobody: 8:51am On Apr 04, 2007
morally,you shouldn't.

but you have to realise something, a lot of guys with '10 years of experience' do not know jack!
i have more than once, had superiors who i was more proficent than.

i am not saying you should, lie, but you should weigh your options. the biggest danger in lying is the implications if you get caught or worse, if you suddenely find you cannot live up to expectations. in the jungle called the nigerian job market, straight honesty doesn't cut it.
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by okeyz(m): 10:59am On Apr 04, 2007
oyb:

morally,you shouldn't.

but you have to realise something, a lot of guys with '10 years of experience' do not know jack!
i have more than once, had superiors who i was more proficent than.

i am not saying you should, lie, but you should weigh your options. the biggest danger in lying is the implications if you get caught or worse, if you suddenely find you cannot live up to expectations. in the jungle called the nigerian job market, straight honesty doesn't cut it.

Man , thats all the advice you need in naija's job market,say what u know u can actually defend when it comes down to the nitty gritty of the job.
cheers
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by Ndipe(m): 11:00am On Apr 04, 2007
No, don't lie, it is morally wrong. Hope in God and He will bless you with a good job.
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by crito(m): 8:10am On Apr 05, 2007
no.
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by teena(f): 10:09am On Apr 05, 2007
Lying will not help matters My dear. I was among an interview panel for Receptionists in my Company few months back. There was this lady whose C.V. had one year Industrial Training in one bank like that. But during the interview, she could not defend it, at last we found out that she never had anything to do with that bank. So she lost the job.

I pray that God will intervene in this unemployment case in Nigeria soon. As other members have posted, just be patient your own job will come soon.

Goodluck.
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by DewDrop(f): 4:11pm On Apr 05, 2007
I wouldn't want to make this a moral issue of lying or not because joblessness can lead you to bigger moral dilemmas (stealing to feed yourself?) It's up to you to do what you feel- depends on how desperate you are.

Note though that if you are going to lie, don't get caught clueless about the lie.

Know the details of this job "experience" front and back! From your duties to things you may have "learned" from the experience, etc

Good Luck!
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by Dynast(m): 4:42pm On Apr 05, 2007
Never make a blantant lie!
Considerable ones may be extending the no of yrs you worked to march the yrs of experience required or using ur IT as work experiece but before you do this you must be techically equiped to defend all ur claims
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by kuwena(m): 5:39pm On Apr 06, 2007
Should you lie? I shall tell you a story. A friend of mine back then in school had a lecturer that swore he would give anybody who did not 'sort' his course an F. My friend refused to sort, and he did get an F. He carried the course over and this time around he sorted. He got an A. Should you lie?, Should he have sorted? Use your head. Na naija you dey.
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by Reggieo: 8:43pm On Apr 06, 2007
Let's be quite frank here. How do you know you will perform well on the job? Is this based strictly on your studies or have you had some practical experience in the form of industrial attachments or the like?

Remember that classroom knowledge is different from work place applications (most times), but your studies prepares you for the real life. That is why companies have Graduate Training programmes.

If you have done something similar to the job description, but not in a full time working capacity, you should always put this on your CV. Remember, no work experience is useless. All you need is to highlight this on your CV and application letter.

What I am saying in effect is that if you are so confident you will be able to perform, go ahead and apply, telling the company exactly what skills you have that match the job requirements. Most importantly, never lie about your work experience as you may be found out during rigorous questioning.

Good luck cheesy
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by femol(m): 1:44pm On Apr 07, 2007
Lying is fraudulent. Lying will boomerang on you; it will ceriatinly get back at you. God says 'do not lie' - don't try to be wiser than God.

Please note: Trusthfulness ensures sustainability; a lying spirit will eventually ruin the perpetrator.

Be wise!
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by ularieke(f): 3:37pm On Apr 10, 2007
You know what, you dont have to lie to be great.What is yours ll come to u if u layout a foundation of truth,

One love ma people
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by MyPeace(f): 11:14am On Sep 08, 2009
Double N:

My fellow Nairalanders,
I have an IT professional Certificate but all the Job offers i see always include work experience of 2 to 5 years.How do i go about this cos i have no work experience but i knw i'll perform well on the Job.Do i lie about my work experience? Please help me cos i am confused and in need of advice

Experience is important in ur CV. While searching for a job, look for where u can render free services, it could be a one room office, put it as part of ur work experience, atleast with that u are not lying.
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by vercetti(m): 2:31pm On Sep 09, 2009
Dude, dont even think about it. They will most likely find out later and you will have yourself to blame. Just because u're certified doesnt mean they owe you a job, you can start small and you will surely get there. smiley
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by zionsown: 11:56am On Sep 16, 2010
brother God is your strenght, and i pray God gives you a job that will bring joy and happiness in time to come just so you dont have to lie to secure one. best thing to do is look for a place to volunteer and do atleast 3-4 month that will look good on your cv. the issue of experience is not only in nigeria i thought so before i left home, it is alover the world. once Again the truth will set you free and even open more doors for you. cheers
Re: Should I Lie About Work Experience? by pewekac: 10:18pm On Sep 17, 2010
i wouldn't say lie but you can embellish your work experience/skill set as far as you can still be all good when the time for reference checks/confirmation beckons

(1) (Reply)

The Best Way To Increase Motivation At Work / Credential Vs Potential / Office Politics: Must You Play?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.