Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,773 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous (5430 Views)

BVN : A Friend's Hilarious Experience At GT Bank With A White Man / GT Bank Becomes First Nigerian Bank To Join Black Friday / Fake GT Bank Website......boys No Dey Smile (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by lashane: 12:44am On Jun 26, 2010
my broda lost 300,000k to atm fraudstars,while his atm card was with him he recieved messgs confirming the withdrawal.this is the fourth story of this nature i had heard from this very branch.After goin to oyin jolayemi h/q countless times to lodge the complaint, now GTB bank says they are nt liable,yet they are not carrying out investigative steps to put an end to this on going trend.if you dont run your account frequently,then this branch is nt good for you.they pounce on accounts with few activities.there is a collaboration b/w some staffs and fraudstars on the street.PLS WATCH OUT ITS A FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by Nobody: 12:52am On Jun 26, 2010
They stole 4.5m from my friend who lives abroad 300k is small.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by baokiss: 4:07pm On Jun 26, 2010
let me tell you. gt akowojo is more than dangerous because i owned an account with that branch before later i closed it just because i was sent a message to fill the datas which i did sent by interswitch and i saw gt bank logo on it. i later came to the bank they said it was fraudsters that sent the mail.
I asked how did these people know all my data and forwarded to email add. after so many investigation the bank and I did not positive comes out is all negative.
So people beware of this Gt bank branch. particularly Akowojo branch.
thanks
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by baokiss: 4:08pm On Jun 26, 2010
let me tell you. gt akowojo is more than dangerous because i owned an account with that branch before later i closed it just because i was sent a message to fill the data which i did sent by interswitch  and i saw gt bank logo on it. i later came to the bank they said it was fraudsters that sent the mail.
I asked how did these people know all my data and forwarded to email add. after so many investigation the bank and I did not positive comes out is all negative.
thanks
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by lashane: 12:39am On Jun 27, 2010
thank God am soooo vindicated, but wait o 4.5m!!!!!!!!!!! that was ludicrous!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by hectorswag(m): 9:32pm On Jun 27, 2010
@poster, 300k?? frm an atm? In one day?
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by lashane: 11:25pm On Jun 27, 2010
@hectorswag d curious man u dont wanna know.well they charged 250k on pos buying what God knows at d palms.then 50k from atm, this bastards can actually clear a million over a wkend!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by thegame(m): 11:26pm On Jun 27, 2010
wow. thats crazy.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by calldirect: 7:59am On Jun 28, 2010
lashane:

my broda lost 300,000k to atm fraudstars,while his atm card was with him he recieved messgs confirming the withdrawal.this is the fourth story of this nature i had heard from this very branch.After goin to oyin jolayemi h/q countless times to lodge the complaint, now GTB bank says they are nt liable,yet they are not carrying out investigative steps to put an end to this on going trend.if you dont run your account frequently,then this branch is nt good for you.they pounce on accounts with few activities.there is a collaboration b/w some staffs and fraudstars on the street.PLS WATCH OUT ITS A FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It might not be what you think. Most times you guys put yourself in this mess. Do you know if your brother filled a form purportedly from GTB about upgrading his ATM card in his email? It's scam. There are many scam emails around by scammers faking gtbank, zenith, first bank etc, to collect your atm card details and many people have fallen victim of it. Ask your brother if he filled that scam form, that may be the cause.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by tkb417(m): 11:25am On Jun 28, 2010
baokiss:

let me tell you. gt akowojo is more than dangerous because i owned an account with that branch before later i closed it just because i was sent a message to fill the data which i did sent by interswitch and i saw gt bank logo on it. i later came to the bank they said it was fraudsters that sent the mail.
thanks
u filled forms sent by scammers now ure blaming the bank

u nor sabi A B C abeg

u berra start saving ur money under ur pillow if u dont understand how internet works
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by bisiaet: 11:46am On Jun 28, 2010
This is very sad indeed. All sort of email has be going around for a while NOW in relation to this new wave of scamming well everybody has to be a bit careful.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by Nobody: 11:53am On Jun 28, 2010
tkb417:

u filled forms sent by scammers now ure blaming the bank

u nor sabi A B C abeg

u berra start saving your money under your pillow if u dont understand how internet works

You are doing  over   sabi,Its an insider job.The day you claim you know everthing that is the day you are manifesting your foolishness.Even bankers now work with kidnappers,they know how much you will be able to afford because they got info ,so you cannot lie that you dont have the ransom money.

So pls forget about filling the form ,it comes in different ways.My friend living abroad did not fill any form  but all is money came out on weekend .and he was just receiving text messages but he could not buy a ticket and fly same day.So they know people living abroad,once your account is stagnant.pls learn
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by beewhyfocs(m): 11:55am On Jun 28, 2010
I dnt think its abt filling any form. I suspect the prescence of a fifth columnist in GTB these days.

After depositing some money in my AC i had to deactivate my ATM even though I dont respond to those naughty scammers.

I was in GTB abule egba when an old woman came complaining of unauthorised withdrawal from her ATM. She too had to deactivate the ATM.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by yemmight(m): 12:07pm On Jun 28, 2010
Na wa o. Even with this hard time?
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by Pharoh: 12:10pm On Jun 28, 2010
olas2u:

You are doing  over   sabi,Its an insider job.The day you claim you know everthing that is the day you are manifesting your foolishness.Even bankers now work with kidnappers,they know how much you will be able to afford because they got info ,so you cannot lie that you dont have the ransom money.

So pls forget about filling the form ,it comes in different ways.My friend living abroad did not fill any form  but all is money came out on weekend .and he was just receiving text messages but he could not buy a ticket and fly same day.So they know people living abroad,once your account is stagnant.pls learn

That's is why it is not advisable to subscribe to anything cards while abroad for your accounts in Nigeria.
beewhyfocs:

I dnt think its abt filling any form. I suspect the prescence of a fifth columnist in GTB these days.

After depositing some money in my AC i had to deactivate my ATM even though I dont respond to those naughty scammers.

I was in GTB abule egba when an old woman came complaining of unauthorised withdrawal from her ATM. She too had to deactivate the ATM.

If you do not have atm, there is no way they will withdraw your money from the atm with a card. The bank will have a lot to explain and we do not have much internet banking payments so your money should be safe by being careful and smart.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by babaogun(m): 12:19pm On Jun 28, 2010
I suggest victims and non victims (especially high value accounts) should have 2 accounts with each bank they transact with. One serves as a savings account and the other can serve as a spending (whether current or savings) account.

Make sure the savings account has no ATM attached to it.

If you need to withdraw, you transfer from savings to the spending account either online or calling your account officer to oblige you.

Also, avoid responding to emails requesting for information or confirming information to you. Always get in touch with your account officer. Every customer has an account officer assigned to him or her, Now for the 4.5m guy, he should actually have an exclusive account officer.

Anyways, its not the best solution i have up here, but reduces the effect of losing cash.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by oisehumen(m): 12:24pm On Jun 28, 2010
My candid advice; let us stop using the ATM cards.
It might sound ridiculous and mischievous anyway, but is the best option right now until something is done to curb this rising menace.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by switch47(m): 12:51pm On Jun 28, 2010
olas2u:

You are doing over sabi,Its an insider job.The day you claim you know everthing that is the day you are manifesting your foolishness.Even bankers now work with kidnappers,they know how much you will be able to afford because they got info ,so you cannot lie that you dont have the ransom money.

So pls forget about filling the form ,it comes in different ways.My friend living abroad did not fill any form but all is money came out on weekend .and he was just receiving text messages but he could not buy a ticket and fly same day.So they know people living abroad,once your account is stagnant.pls learn
Filling an online form giving out your account details makes you the biggest MAGA of all time, you do not need to claim to know everything to dectect simple things like DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR DETAILS TO UNSOLICITED MAIL ADDRESSES. TKB is very much in order. i run several accounts with GTB i have ATM and even master card with them but i keep my account details safe from others.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by denzel2009: 12:55pm On Jun 28, 2010
I really dont know why people use ATM cards in Naija. Its not like you can use it to pay for online transactions so to speak or widely accepted by Elerans and Alatas. I have also noticed that my naija peeps will fill any form online with their genuine details, God knows how many phone numbers and CVs I have seen on this site alone.

Please get rid of your card and go get the money you need via signed cheques in the bank,then if money is withdrawn from your account, you can take it up with the bank.

Sorry if you are abroad and have 4.5million in your account why can't you put it in fixed deposit subject to rollover, you can easily terminate it if you urgently need the money and just lose the interest.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by eros(m): 12:57pm On Jun 28, 2010
oisehumen:

My candid advice; let us stop using the ATM cards.
It might sound ridiculous and mischievous anyway, but is the best option right now until something is done to curb this rising menace.

I support your motion. It will be best everyone decides to stop using ATM cards and the useless banks will be forced to find a lasting solution to these ATM fraud.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by mikkyphp(m): 1:03pm On Jun 28, 2010
please dont give out your genuine card details online indescriminately. if u have to enter your pin number on any site, make sure it's the java type where you have to click in your pin no with your mouse and enusre you see the interswitch secure logo as well as the "https://" before the site domain name. the "s" in http(S):// tells you the connection to the remote site is of a secure nature to prevent ur information being sent in plain text format.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by mikkyphp(m): 1:07pm On Jun 28, 2010
@denzel2009, naija banks impose a surcharge if you make withdrawals less than 20k or so over the counter. They say they're trying to decongest the banking hall. so your advocation for people to drop their ATM cards won't hold much water coupled with the fact that if everyone dumps their cards, the banks will just abandon the idea of ATM instead of finding a lasting solution to the issue.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jun 28, 2010
This looks like a campaign by some competitors to smear the good name of the bank.

However, always note that no one, not even your bank, has the right to ask you for the PIN of your ATM card for whatever reason.

Always be careful and I know that those cold responses can't be from GTBank.

Every ATM terminal has a camera and the video footages can always be re-played
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by AjanleKoko: 1:27pm On Jun 28, 2010
I don't think it has anything to do with filling a form.
I have a friend who had almost a million naira lost from GTB. The account was a savings account, and didn't even have an ATM card linked.
The withdrawal was purported to have happened over a weekend. You can't withdraw 500k in 2 days from any ATM.
Clearly there is insider fraud involved.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by atilla(m): 1:44pm On Jun 28, 2010
@denzel , that is exactly what I do. I have two sets of accounts. Whenever i need to make any withdrawal i transfer money from savings into current. The current only has maximum of 10k on it and 20 for weekends. I also dont suscribe for text alerts because i strongly believe text alerts are also connected to the scammers.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by royalicon(m): 1:47pm On Jun 28, 2010
Never attend to any email from any bank, rather visit the nearest branch.

I've gotten thousand of email requesting me to update my card, account details etc. Most annoying is email from bank where i never own an account -a confirmation of spam mail from fraudstars. BEWARE!!!
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by kechai(f): 1:59pm On Jun 28, 2010
Most of us disclose information about their accounts unknowning. We ought to b careful when we browse, chat or fill some certain forms online. I v gotten information from GTB concerning my account while i have never bank with GTB. HAD IT BEEN I HAVE ACCOUNT WITH GTB, I WILL START THINKING ITS GENUIE. JUST BEAR IN MIND THAT ALL THE INFORMATION THE BANK NEEDS CONCERNING UR ACCOUNT IS WITH THEM. THEY ARE THE ONE THAT OPEN THE ACCOUNT SO IF THEY REQUIRE ANYTHING, THEY SHUD BE ABLE TO GET IT.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by Pharoh: 2:05pm On Jun 28, 2010
mikkyphp:

@denzel2009, naija banks impose a surcharge if you make withdrawals less than 20k or so over the counter. They say they're trying to decongest the banking hall. so your advocation for people to drop their ATM cards won't hold much water coupled with the fact that if everyone dumps their cards, the banks will just abandon the idea of ATM instead of finding a lasting solution to the issue.

I think we are better off if they even abandon it or what use does it serve if your money is not safe?
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by Bawss1(m): 2:08pm On Jun 28, 2010
There is no easy way to say this but disclosing important information to scammers is just foolish. angry
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by fotolord: 2:15pm On Jun 28, 2010
To start with.
Is it the new Master Card or The old Interswitch card.
The new mastercard is hard to compromise because it is chip and PIN. For everybody still carrying the old interswitch card, please go and change it. it is prone to fraud.
2.Do not fill in your card number and PIN online. There is no SAFe ORGANISATION that will request for such (PCI-DSS compliant).
Please stop blackmailing GTB for you own mistakes. Though some ATM machines are known to be bugged by scammers in Nigeria. They insert keylogger or wireless image taking or card reader onA TM machines.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by damilola15: 2:25pm On Jun 28, 2010
People should know better than filing some forms online. Anyway, I think I should limit the little money I have in GT.
Re: Gt Bank Akowonjo! Very Dangerous by obailala(m): 2:47pm On Jun 28, 2010
Bawss1:

There is no easy way to say this but disclosing important information to scammers is just foolish. angry
foolish move indeed but u cant blame some peeps. Not every one knows who is who

As much as i sympathize with those that have lost money to ATM fraudsters, i still maintain that the victims are still partly to be blamed. Banks keep warning clients not to disclose their ATM PIN to anyone. I wonder why it's so difficult for people to heed this simple instruction. DO NOT DISCLOSE YOUR ATM PIN TO ANYBODY; not even your account officer or bank manager or pastor or whoever.

Although I still expect the banks to do more in terms of awareness on this issue; place newspaper ads, TV and radio ads etc. The truth of the matter is that most people out there are not still aware that their PIN is a private property hence they fall victim of yahoo yahoo scammers who send false mails indiscriminately to ignorant ATM users to upgrade their cards.

@poster:
This is not a GTB issue. The problem is common to all banks that use ATMs

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DSTV HAUNTING DONGLE SELLERS: A NEED FOR CAUTION BY ALL AND SUNDRY / Nigeria’s Forex Inflow Hits $15bn In First Quarter / Stanley Uzochukwu Opens Luxury Hotel In Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.