Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,030 members, 7,799,510 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:13 PM

Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria (13749 Views)

6 Keys to Success in Setting Up Your Small Business / How To Start An ISP? / I Have 1 Million Naira, I Want To Set Up An ISP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by sbucareer(f): 4:39pm On Jan 05, 2006
I need someone with IT/IS experience particularly ISP (Internet Service Provider) to provide me with practical figures and legislature governing ISP in Nigeria and how to become an ISP.

Below are the information I require but are not limited to these:

1. Carrier providers
2. What products do they offer? i.e PRI, BRI, ISDN, TI, VSAT, SIP etc (To find out what these acronym mean type this in google.com "define: <acronym>” without the <> sign
3. Figures, i.e lease line price
4. Salaries for administrator in Nigerian with CCNA/MCSE
5. Typical deployment plan i.e WAN, MAN or LAN
6. Price tariff for customer on dial-up 56Kps, V.92/V.110/V.90, ISDN
7. Government policies

Related: Setting Up a Cyber-cafe
Re: Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by axeprince(m): 9:44am On Jan 06, 2006
Are you ready to pay for the service and how much?

I have a ready package if you like
Re: Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by dagaro(m): 11:21am On Jan 06, 2006
axeprince:

Are you ready to pay for the service and how much?

I have a ready package if you like
How much did you pay to access the Nairaland Forum?

2 Likes

Re: Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by timmy(m): 5:04pm On Jan 06, 2006
i wonder ohh,
Please only serious comments should be posted on this thread..
Re: Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by sbucareer(f): 5:08pm On Jan 06, 2006
timmy thank you very much... tongue
Re: Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by sbucareer(f): 5:32pm On Jan 06, 2006

These are some extracts taken from my business plan when I open an ITSP (Internet Telephony Service Provider) in the UK.  It is similiar for an ISP.   The requirements here in the UK is already done for ISP.  But I cannot compete with AOL, FreeServe, Bulldog etc.  besides internet is very very cheap in the UK with broadband and all that.

Product and Service Description

There are few requirements and equipments for this business. The main concern is the monthly fixed-cost. I am
estimating that the total monthly running cost would be between £700 - £1000 excluding the total capital. Below is
the breakdown anaylsis

The currency conversation is base on 1 US dollar = 0.569508514

Qty (1) DX VOIP gateway E1/PRI $2875.00 - £1637.3370

Qty (1) CardSaver billing software/ base and 30 port license $2970.00 - £1691.4403

Qty (1) 1GB Broadband with 512kb downstream, about 64kb download and 32kb upload speed plus a static IP
and open UDP/RTP ports £40

Qty (1) E1/PRI voice circuit £125.00 per line, 8 lines needed £100 for 8 lines connection and £43 per line a
month, which £344 for 8 liness monthly running cost

Qty (1) Internet ISP for voice termination i.e Arbinet.com

Qty (1) Card maker or card printer

Qty (1) A PC/Server runing window 2000/XP Pro with a Monitor

Qty (1) Promotion and marketing strategy

These are the initial requirements for this business to start. The ones highlighted with red have been acquired and
the rest are still waiting info on them or on their way to acquiring it.
Service explanation
DX voice gateway E1/PRI is the standard telephony box that multiplex voice call into a PRI voice circuit into
Internet via a VOIP terminator
CardSaver billing software is a software installed into the PC that help and manage the billing and calling
information and keeps inventory of calls for later use.
ITSP
Page 4

These are the sort of information we need to post for this topic.  Let not waste this resource, nairaland.com any thanks to senu and all the people that made this site available.  We need to brainstorm and exchange vital knowledge please.

NOTE
The specs above is for ITSP in the UK.  We need specs for ISP in Nigeria.  If you need the business plan for ITSP, I could put it up here but it is all in £ and $ and most equipments and technologies are UK's
Re: Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by igwe4life(m): 9:23pm On Apr 14, 2006
sbucareer:

NOTE
The specs above is for ITSP in the UK. We need specs for ISP in Nigeria. If you need the business plan for ITSP, I could put it up here but it is all in £ and $ and most equipments and technologies are UK's

Hi.

Pls post the Business Plan for the ITSP Business as i am interested in it.

Igwe4life
Re: Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by gbengaijot(m): 7:59am On Apr 24, 2006
Re: Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by Anthonykay: 11:32pm On May 21, 2006
I am most impressed by the willingly detailed analysis that the user provided concerning the setting up of an ISP in Nigeria. This is an area that I am most interested and I wonder if the user would be willing to engage in a dialogue.

Regards.

Anthony.
Re: Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by Doveboy: 4:46pm On Jul 10, 2006
Please can you let me know if you receive any information regarding setting up ISP in Nigeria if yes could let me have a copy. I am planning of setting up an ISP/Internet service cafe. Thanks
Re: Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by sholatech(m): 6:36pm On Jul 12, 2006
There are several business models and technical considerations for setting up ISP In Nigeria.
Based on my experience in this field, i will advise as follows:

a. The Location matters a great deal. I assume you intend to set-up a wireless service. If its dial-up, forget it becaus ethe company will die in less than 6 months!

b. For wireless service, you need to operate in either a licensed or unlicensed frequency. If you intend to operate on unlicensed frequencies, you can only operaate hotspots, legally. The regulatory framework does not allow the use of unlicensed frequency for wide are networks, not more than 200meters.

c. To operate any ISP in Nigeria, you will need to get an ISP License.Usually takes 3-4 months and costs roughly $4,000.

d. If you want to operate on the licensed frequency, price depends on the state you want to operate in and the bandwidth required(in MHz). You can get information on these from www.ncc.gov.ng

e. On pricing, the rave is about =N=45,000 for equipments/set-up and monthly fee of =N=15,000 for unlimited access.

f. You can get a good Network Administrator for a monthly fee of $500!!
I hope this answers your question.
Lets i forget, wimax is coming to Nigeria soon!!!

1 Like

Re: Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by Trev(f): 5:11pm On Jul 14, 2006
Hello Doveboy,

I would like to discuss your issues on opening a cafe with you.Please call me on 7766141

Have a blessed day.

Trev cheesy
Re: Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by freeflow: 11:24am On Dec 19, 2010
Do you want to provide internet access to all nigerians and around the world.

You can install free/Unlimited internet access for users within 5minutes on their laptops/phones and get paid 3,000naira. Every body can do it. You dont need a CV for this job

For full details send email to : joymadu15@yahoo.com or 08057473898 - You can only call during the day and (SMS at night - no calls please)

Do you want to provide internet access to all nigerians and around the world.

You can install free/Unlimited internet access for users within 5minutes on their laptops/phones and get paid 3,000naira. (imagine if you do it for 100nigerians in 10days = 300,000nara) - 2,000naira 8GB Browsng speed for 40days and 18GB(3,000naira) Browsing speed for 100days

Every body can do it. You dont need a CV for this job

For full details send email to : joymadu15@yahoo.com or 08057473898 to start installations - You can only call during the day and (SMS at night - no calls please)

Cheers and wishing you a wonderful christmas

Freeflow
Re: Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by freeflow: 11:24am On Dec 19, 2010
you dont need to set up any isp to provide one

cheers
Re: Setting Up An ISP In Nigeria by Preciouschimara: 3:27pm On May 05, 2017
sbucareer:
I need someone with IT/IS experience particularly ISP (Internet Service Provider) to provide me with practical figures and legislature governing ISP in Nigeria and how to become an ISP.

Below are the information I require but are not limited to these:

1. Carrier providers
2. What products do they offer? i.e PRI, BRI, ISDN, TI, VSAT, SIP etc (To find out what these acronym mean type this in google.com "define: <acronym>” without the <> sign
3. Figures, i.e lease line price
4. Salaries for administrator in Nigerian with CCNA/MCSE
5. Typical deployment plan i.e WAN, MAN or LAN
6. Price tariff for customer on dial-up 56Kps, V.92/V.110/V.90, ISDN
7. Government policies

Related: Setting Up a Cyber-cafe

(1) (Reply)

'Oil Subsidy Is Fiction' - Professor Tam David-West / Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos / Fire Outbreak In Sabon Gari Market, Kano (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.