Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,452 members, 7,781,307 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:11 PM

Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? (5088 Views)

Dreadlocks, Good Or Bad? / ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** / Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? by kimba(m): 6:17pm On Apr 02, 2007
HI NLs,

I just made a new friend(Jamaican dad and Nigerian mom) and he has natural dreadlocks, now, I was hearing some kin story from another friend of mine about such people - relating to their spiritual matters/spirituality or whatever, which I count to be all superstitions. I have come across a lot of dreads before, but my thoughts never reached the level of information I just received.

Yoruba people call it - i think they are called DADA.

Whats the whole point, story, history, belief or whatever, as far as such kids, boys/men are concerned in the Nigerian/African perspective - just for my own information. Please fill me in.

How about women Dadas? I dont know if there are

please shoot

2 Likes

Re: Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? by Ayeisha(f): 10:46am On Apr 04, 2007
There are many females who wear locks here in the U.S. and in the Carribean Islands. People who practice Rastafarianism wear locks too. Some people don't like when it is called dread locks because the word dread was said to have been implemented by racist people who thought that locks were dreadful. kiss

3 Likes

Re: Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? by Coco29(f): 3:03pm On Apr 04, 2007
kimba:

HI NLs,

I just made a new friend(Jamaican dad and Nigerian mom) and he has natural dreadlocks, now, I was hearing some kin story from another friend of mine about such people - relating to their spiritual matters/spirituality or whatever, which I count to be all superstitions. I have come across a lot of dreads before, but my thoughts never reached the level of information I just received.

Yoruba people call it - i think they are called DADA.

Whats the whole point, story, history, belief or whatever, as far as such kids, boys/men are concerned in the Nigerian/African perspective - just for my own information. Please fill me in.

How about women Dadas? I don't know if there are

please shoot

i am sooooo shocked at  some Nairaland members  cry DO U THINK THAT JESUS IS YOUR GOD? RASTAS BELIEVE IN THE MOST HIGH, I DO NOT AGREE WITH SOME OF THEIR THEORY BUT FACT REMAINS THAT THEY ARE NO LONGER MENTALLY PART OF THE MA'THA.

SOME THING ELSE I REALISE FROM BEING ON THIS FORUM IS HOW MANY OF YOU STILL SAY IN "JESUS NAME". ANY THING ELSE IS FALSE.

http://www.saxakali.com/caribbean/EdP.htm
Re: Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? by TerraCotta(m): 6:43pm On Apr 04, 2007
To answer the question posed (which didn't even mention Rastafarianism, as far as I can see):

'Dada' in traditional Yoruba culture described children who were born with locked hair, or people who grew them for religious purposes. They used to be consecrated to the Orisa (or deity) of vegetables and newborns called Dada in the past, and their hair was supposed to be left uncut for a specific amount of time until a special celebration/ceremony could be held. Ijebus also sometimes call them 'omolokun', and they share similiar beliefs with Ijaw and other Niger Delta peoples about the special qualities of these children. Most of the traditional beliefs are not closely followed anymore though.

1 Like

Re: Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? by Ayeisha(f): 6:55pm On Apr 04, 2007
You are absolutely right terracotta but Rastafarians believe in something totally different and then there are those who wear them as afashion statement. Many of the people who sport the locks do not know or understand the roots of locks. You speak of it's origin based on your own culture i think. But it seems as though the person who started this thread said his friend is Jamaican and Nigerian. Jamaicans were responsible for the wide spread awareness of Rastafarianism. Bob Marley was one. Remember his hair? There a tons of Japanese Rastafarians as well who sport these locks and practice the way of life. I've met quite a few here in nyc! There are also white Rastafarians! You can see them all over Williamsburg and Central Park! Now I'm sure that your definition of Dada was accurate in Nigerian culture but Rastafarianism which stemmed from Ethiopia might have a totally different definition and explanation for locks. Many Japanese are very in tune with Jamaican culture and models of these lock stood outto them through the Rastafarian movement. The whites have the same reasons for sporting them most of the time.

1 Like

Re: Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? by TerraCotta(m): 9:27pm On Apr 04, 2007
No sweat, Ayeisha. I'm pretty familiar with rastas, i-tal food, livity etc. I've got a couple of friends who are serious about their faith. I assumed that the poster had some idea about the Rastafarian connotations and was more interested in learning about the "dada" and its meaning in Yoruba culture. As an aside, Ethiopians don't generally lock their hair. The first Rastas claim to have been inspired by photos of Mau-Mau rebels in Kenya who were fighting to overthrow British colonialism. Some other scholars believe that they absorbed the concept of long, locked hair, ganga smoking and a vegetarian diet from the saddhus amongst the Indian indentured workers that came to Jamaica in the 19th century.

1 Like

Re: Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? by ajadrage: 12:05pm On Jun 02, 2007
Mmmm, now how do I begin? You know, you all got some idea about the entire "koko" (apologies to B'Banj"wink. However, I'm gonna take you to a time in the history of humankind when the locks was considered somewhat of a spiritual thing.

It is safe to assume that thru out the history of man, babies have been born and the probability of a mom giving birth to a kid with dread is an ever present reality. Since the time prior to our common era, some would prefer to call it BC, there was the story of a man called samson, I believe he was the first recorded individual to spot some locks on his hair.

This was a directive from the God of Israel that he should not cut his hair etc, as he was being prepared for something significant for the people of ancient Israel. The bible also recorded that John the baptist was spotting on some locks and with the same reasons adduced for that of Samson.

Thus , it becomes quite plausible that there is an element of spirituality associated with this practice. Non biblical reference also abound that connotes a sense of spirituality associated with this hair concept. Zoroaster was believed to have one and the kings of Babylon were known to have hairstyles similar to locks, only with the array of beauty treatments they were privy to, their own locks were more neatly kept and fashionable.

The hair on a human is regarded as the crown of the body and this is more noticeable with the womenfolk. Even the bible refers to women and their hair etc.

The bottomline is that the earlier reccommendations of keeping locks had to come from a spiritual source. The status of that source, it's authenticity and orientation would depend on the ways in which the individual concerned have cultured him/herself.

For example, the followers of the late Ras Tafari of Ethiopia believe that wearing locks identifies them and their beliefs, there is absolutely no iota of spirituality in that, although they were influenced by the bible characters as mentioned above as they also subscribe to many bible teachings. Ras Tafari had no locks.

Some African cultures though have similarities with the lock wearers and when such occurs, these individuals are viewed as special. It takes a special ceremony for the locks to be cut off and usually sacrifices to some deity or deities follow.

However, thanks to the 21st century fashion trend, some would just spot on locks to make a fashion statement.

But believe you me, out of those wearing these locks naturally might probably be one who is in direct communication with the Father and locks or no locks, when his wrath descends on the wicked and evil, the dread would be felt by all who disregards the warning of the day.

So next time you see a locks wearing brother or sister, just remind yourself that the 411 on the locks thing is the status of the purity of the heart and this is not exclusive to particular tribes or nations.

Love and peace

http://www.greatedo..com

1 Like

Re: Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? by AckeeEater(m): 12:58am On Jun 03, 2007
I pass by this forum maybe once a week and check out "Culture" and "Family" for the most part. Usually I just read and don't post, but I cannot pass up this topic. I'm Jamaican, over 50, and while I never have been a Rastafarian, I've been close to them and know a bit about them.

Trom TerraCotta: «The first Rastas claim to have been inspired by photos of Mau-Mau rebels in Kenya who were fighting to overthrow British colonialism. Some other scholars believe that they absorbed the concept of long, locked hair, ganga smoking and a vegetarian diet from the saddhus amongst the Indian indentured workers that came to Jamaica in the 19th century.»

Right you are on both counts, Mau-Mau and the Siddhus, plus more. The look of bible-times religious men and prophets (as intimated by another poster) is one, and yet another is the lion's mane (Ras Tafari, a.k.a. Haile Selassie, was fond of lions - had tame ones roaming his palace grounds). Such influences all converged on a nascent Rastafarianism. To wit, the cry of "Lion!" will still be heard in Rasta speech to indicate "Yes!", "Great!", "Nice!", etc. The Jamaican word for marijuana, "ganja", came via the Rastas from the aforementioned Siddhu workers (the Indian word to this day is "ganju"wink.

From the nineteen-eighties on the look of Rastas became more and more fashionable and dreadlocks today is mostly just another hairstyle. We even used to try to make the distinction between a genuine "Rastaman" and a mere "Dreadlock".

In light of the topic being "Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It?", I won't get into the early days of the sect and the hardships and prejudice they endured until about the nineteen-eighties.

--Æ.

1 Like

Re: Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? by Syphonn(m): 6:08pm On Nov 06, 2017
“Men are scums but I’m keeping my virginity for Anthony Joshua” – Nigerian Lady Says

A Nigerian lady identified as Scholastica Joseph, has disclosed via her Facebook page that she is keeping herself for British-Nigerian boxer Anthony Joshua or Rob Kardashian.

SEE PHOTOS

http://www.busygisting.com/men-scums-im-keeping-virginity-anthony-joshua-nigerian-lady-says/
Re: Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? by Originalsly: 3:04pm On Nov 07, 2017
Hmmm.....interesting. Guess dreadlocks is now worldwide..... seen Japanese...Israelis. ..Whites all sporting dreadlocks... male and female... young to old. Think the 3 main reasons would be religious........ hairstyle.... and then those who sport it because it is natural for them as a Black person.
In the Nigerian/African perspective...I have no idea why it is generally condemned...natural Black hairstyle condemned in the Land of Blacks.

(1) (Reply)

Some Uncomfortable Truths About South Africa. / Ogun Stroke Ati Diabetes / Eyonu Agba Toma Nmu Owo Waa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.