Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,707 members, 7,802,124 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:28 AM

Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years (13900 Views)

Poll: do you support this?

it's a good decision: 59% (92 votes)
it's a bad decision: 40% (62 votes)
This poll has ended

FIFA's Verdict:Bans Nigeria From All Football-Related Activity-Incuding Clubs / Vincent Enyeama Considering his Retirement from International football / FIFA Bans Nigeria For Government Interference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by TEEZERO(m): 3:47pm On Jun 30, 2010
It has been reported that President Goodluck Jonathan has banned Nigeria from International Football for the next two years. He has also mandated the dissoultion of the Nigerian Football Federation.
I think this is high-handed.
I think Government has no business with association football.
I think this will boomerang.
I think if Government needs to intervene it is to ensure that the Ministry of Sports encourages football development at the youth and grassroots level.
It is roobish

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/nigerias-president-suspends-soccer-team--fbintl_ap-wcup-nigeria-teamsuspended.html

http://www.worldcup.cbssports.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,13041~2081685,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8777118.stm
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by titsqueez(m): 3:58pm On Jun 30, 2010
somebody wan chop money. Why ban international footie for two years when he should be advocating for the young blood to be given a chance to show what they can do. He should ban all those grand pas claiming to be in their 20s from ever pullin on a Nigerian Jersey.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Fhemmmy: 4:03pm On Jun 30, 2010
If that was true, that is the most stupid thing i ever heard.
The house of assembly have failed to produce anything for all these years and yet they are nor banned.
The presidency of the nation has failed to produce from when i could remember and no banning.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by philip0906(m): 4:09pm On Jun 30, 2010
*mimicking p saqure,sings*
"wahala dey o o o
wahala dey o o o. . . ." grin grin
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by 12large: 4:09pm On Jun 30, 2010
yeye president, the jonathan guy is acting like an hausa man, he does not know that if he bans us for 2years fifa would ban us for more 2years meaning that we would automatically be out of worldcup 2014 and everybody in nigeria knows that another golden generation is coming
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by 12large: 4:11pm On Jun 30, 2010
yeye president, the jonathan guy is acting like an hausa man, he does not know that if he bans us for 2years fifa would ban us for more 2years meaning that we would automatically be out of worldcup 2014 and everybody in nigeria knows that another golden generation is coming
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by deb(m): 4:21pm On Jun 30, 2010
If the report is true, FIFA will be waiting to ban us for 'life'
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by KennyG6(m): 4:24pm On Jun 30, 2010
As draconian as this sounds, it might just be what is needed to revamp nigerian football, For one, the decision to withdraw from all FIFA organised events was taken so that the government can disban NFF without FIFA sanctioning us. We all know the NFF is inept and corrupt, but because they are a constitutionally elected and backed by FIFA the govt cannot just dissolve them so the only way is to pretempt any FIFA sanction by pulling out.

A few days ago Okocha and the Minister of sports met with Blatter asking him to support them in their bid to stop the NFF elections due to widespread fraud by the contestants, Blatter declined stating that since they were duly elected there is nothing anyone can do except via the courts,
My guess is once the govt have cleaned up NFF and installed their stooge Okocha, they will reapply to FIFA to reinstate us.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Omolulu(m): 4:28pm On Jun 30, 2010
correct person, let's save the money for other things, it's not as if we would be ready after 2 years to win the cup

on the other hand, if FIFA takes action on grounds of political interference, well big deal, if not i would suggest the govt reduce the NFF allocation till the corruption there goes down

PS, We go win WC for 2014, no shaking grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Rhydem: 4:31pm On Jun 30, 2010
Didn't Sani Abacha do this in South Africa Nations cup. How long were we banned for by FIFA?

Also if we do this, we have to ENSURE Nigerian football is completely overhauled, there is no point now to hold onto any member of the current NFF board, it is not neccesary. But who do we put in place of these people?
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Acidosis(m): 4:36pm On Jun 30, 2010
That's a good decision from Mr President. Only a stu.pid leader would fold his arms after wasting hundreds of million for a tournament which they couldn't win just a match.
Thanks GJ
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by 12large: 4:39pm On Jun 30, 2010
why are you guys making it seem like if sani lulu is a killer, i can bet anybody this current nff has been one of its best, its main problem is that they always hire wrong coaches, but that is not enough to ban us. rydym we ban our self only from nations cup in 1996 but can ban us for 1998, now we are banning ourself totally from international football do you know how many years fifa might ban us
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Acidosis(m): 4:45pm On Jun 30, 2010
Kenny_G:

As draconian as this sounds, it might just be what is needed to revamp nigerian football, For one, the decision to withdraw from all FIFA organised events was taken so that the government can disban NFF without FIFA sanctioning us. We all know the NFF is inept and corrupt, but because they are a constitutionally elected and backed by FIFA the govt cannot just dissolve them so the only way is to pretempt any FIFA sanction by pulling out.

A few days ago Okocha and the Minister of sports met with Blatter asking him to support them in their bid to stop the NFF elections due to widespread fraud by the contestants, Blatter declined stating that since they were duly elected there is nothing anyone can do except via the courts,
My guess is once the govt have cleaned up NFF and installed their stooge Okocha, they will reapply to FIFA to reinstate us.
You are a genius
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Rhydem: 4:45pm On Jun 30, 2010
12large:

why are you guys making it seem like if sani lulu is a killer, i can bet anybody this current nff has been one of its best, its main problem is that they always hire wrong coaches, but that is not enough to ban us. rydym we ban our self only from nations cup in 1996 but can ban us for 1998, now we are banning ourself totally from international football do you know how many years fifa might ban us

Guy, you're missing the point.

The NFF has been dogged with bad organisation for many years now.
Corruption has been it's biggest allegation and also poor development of football.

From 2002 till present day, we have not improved.
look at allegeations made by Glenn Hoddle, what came of it NOTHING. Look at the money which 'vanished' into thin air what came of it NOTHING.

Since Berti Vogts we have NOT improved in football one bit, and it's enough of giving millions of dollars to these rouges to compete in FIFA competitons when we don't yet have continuous electricity in our country
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by tkb417(m): 4:46pm On Jun 30, 2010
FIFA shd just ban us for 4 years quickly

i hope the clueless President will ban other sports too cos we aint doing well in other sports

What has he done about Police, PHCN, bad roads and all; why is Footie the focus

i just hope our young footballers wont havent played for Nigeria will take up foreign passports

Let him do us  favour: he shd ban NTA, DSTV, HiTV and co to stop showing football matches on TV too grin grin grin

dumbo
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by tkb417(m): 4:47pm On Jun 30, 2010
Rhydem:

Guy, you're missing the point.

The NFF has been dogged with bad organisation for many years now.
Corruption has been it's biggest allegation and also poor development of football.

From 2002 till present day, we have not improved.
look at allegeations made by Glenn Hoddle, what came of it NOTHING. Look at the money which 'vanished' into thin air what came of it NOTHING.

Since Berti Vogts we have NOT improved in football one bit, and it's enough of giving millions of dollars to these rouges to compete in FIFA competitons when we don't yet have continuous electricity in our country
tell me something

is football not a reflection of the decay in Nigeria?

he shd ban PHCN too cos we havent seen improvements since independence

how do u ban football cos u wanna get rid of NFF

isnt that dumb?
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by chidexy(m): 4:48pm On Jun 30, 2010
The best way to stop the rot at NFA (or is it NFF). We would definitely be banned by FIFA, while investigation would be carried out on the activities (financial and otherwise) of the NFA officials. Those indicted would then be shown their files and forced to stand down or risk going to jail, while Nigeria makes a case to FIFA to let it reorganise it's house and "follow" FIFA's regulations.

The idiots would have been cleared. I see Segun Odegbami taking over the NFA afterwards and Siasia and Oliseh appointed to head the rebuilding efforts of the Super Eagles
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Rhydem: 4:51pm On Jun 30, 2010
tkb417:

tell me something

is football not a reflection of the decay in Nigeria?

he shd ban PHCN too cos we havent seen improvements since independence

how do u ban football cos u wanna get rid of NFF

isnt that dumb?

I agree, and I imagine the government are taking small steps into correcting these problems. It is just because we are a football loving country this news now seems BIG news, imagine the government had decided to ban volley ball from all competitons whilst they revamp none of us will even CARE one bit.

To me, I see this as a positive movement in the one of many things on the governments immediate agenda.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Jaguar2(m): 4:52pm On Jun 30, 2010
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by bawomolo(m): 4:56pm On Jun 30, 2010
cbs sports just confirmed it. this is bad news

[url]http://www.worldcup.cbssports.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,13041~2081685,00.html[/url]
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by adexchamp(m): 5:04pm On Jun 30, 2010
Good ridance to bad rubbish
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Pharoh: 5:20pm On Jun 30, 2010
This is good development.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by texazzpete(m): 5:29pm On Jun 30, 2010
Good development? Are you on crack? It means we will not play at the next Nations Cup - How good is that?
Goodluck could easily have had the same results by unleashing the EFCC and ICPC on the NFF members. Now he's going to take us down the route of failure that Abacha took us down.

Mr Goodluck, i will not be voting for you in 2011.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Pharoh: 5:38pm On Jun 30, 2010
And what are we going to achieve if we participate at the nations cup in 2012? What was our achievement in this ongoing world cup? Look at our super falcons and how they have gone down in recent years.

There are many ways to kill a rat and due to our nature this is the best way to go about it. You cannot be comparing our FA with that of their European counterparts. So lets do it our own way or you think segun odegbami, okocha and kanu will win a free and fair election into the glass house?

Do you know why they have not appointed siasa as the coach of the super eagles all these while?
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by truly: 5:56pm On Jun 30, 2010
Rhydem:

I agree, and I imagine the government are taking small steps into correcting these problems. It is just because we are a football loving country this news now seems  BIG news, imagine the government had decided to ban volley ball from all competitons whilst they revamp none of us will even CARE one bit.

To me, I see this as a positive movement in the one of many things on the governments immediate agenda.
Hasty, ill-thought out decision
He will reverse it soon
There is no choice

SO Nigeria will not play in 2012 AFN?
So what wil happen to the present U-21 boys?
have we not gone this route before?
Do you need 2 years to reorganise sports

And we need to we sack Johnathan himself
Has he not missed the deadline he personally set for giving us a power sector masterplan?

The pot calling the kettle black
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jun 30, 2010
this Co-President is high on ogogoro

there are 101 urgent problems plaguing that country and the super eagles is problem number 201

tackle electricity first

thats my 1 point agenda for that clueless president.I had such high hopes on that man but he don begin fumble
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jun 30, 2010
I think this is goodnews. God bless Ibrahim Bio and Jonathan Goodluck for this decision. Only those who do not understand the high wired politics going on here will criticise this move. Sani Lulu can not collect money from Government to fund football and then turn around to remind Government how it should not be involved in football when you ask Sani Lulu to give account of his stewardship.

Surely Sani Lulu should be answerable to somebody within the shores of Nigeria. He does not own himself and the President of the country has a duty not to standby and watch Sani Lulu openly defraud the country in the name of FIFA requirement not allowing Government interference in football.

I think this move by Jonathan is pre-emptive and very apt. It is important to be decisive and send a clear sign to Sani Lulu that we mean business and no amount of threat from Sani Lulu about FIFA ban can change that.

I am very much in support of this so long as it delivers a credible local league watchable on TV. I think the success achieved in the Entertainment industry can be repeated football. We don't have to have all the facilities we need right now. We can upgrade 6 regional stadiums in the 6 geopolitical zones to world class standards to help achieve this. A credible local league can combine with our very sort after movies and music to reposition the NTA into one of the most sought after TV channel in Africa and take the TV channel to the next level.

Sani Lulu is constituting himself into an obstacle to something big. All Nigerians must resist Sani Lulu with all they got. We can not all work in Banks or Oil Industry. Government can help reposition football to employ a lot of people and create new local football role models for the society before privatising it.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jun 30, 2010
Pharoh:

And what are we going to achieve if we participate at the nations cup in 2012? What was our achievement in this ongoing world cup? Look at our super falcons and how they have gone down in recent years.

There are many ways to kill a rat and due to our nature this is the best way to go about it. You cannot be comparing our FA with that of their European counterparts. So lets do it our own way or you think segun odegbami, okocha and kanu will win a free and fair election into the glass house?

Do you know why they have not appointed siasa as the coach of the super eagles all these while?

Absolutely spot on!! you really get the gist.

The next 2 years is a small price for correcting what we have been missing in the last 50years.

Why are we all fans of Man Utd and Arsenal but not Enyimba or 3SC? When folks ask this questions they will understand why it is necessary to remove Lulu.

The objective here is to remove Lulu. But Lulu wants to threaten us with FIFA ban. Then Nigeria simply bans itself for two years to let FIFA understand how much we are willing to give up to achieve what we want. If you ask me I will say thats smart politics.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by adconline(m): 6:10pm On Jun 30, 2010
Now a govt that cant organise a free and fair election is banning NFF. NFF is part  of Nigeria' ineptitute. From NEPA, Transcorp, INEC, Cadbury, Governors to the President, Nigeria lacks managemnt skills.  Jonathan is towing the line of Abacha who barred Nigerian from contesting in ANC in 1996 and CAF slapped us with another  2-year ban. Jonathan fix NEPA and INEC.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jun 30, 2010
adconline:

Now a govt that cant organise a free and fair election is banning NFF. NFF is part of Nigeria' ineptitute. From NEPA, Transcorp, INEC, Cadbury, Governors to the President, Nigeria lacks managemnt skills. Jonathan is towing the line of Abacha who barred Nigerian from contesting in ANC in 1996 and CAF slapped us with another 2-year ban. Jonathan fix NEPA and INEC.

But the govt. has a duty to start from somewhere!!!!!!
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Builder: 6:12pm On Jun 30, 2010
this is just the best thing that country needs, im happy he was advised my a commision which includes okocha, odegbami and fashanu, i hope this ban includes other sport and their managements , afterall Ghana did the same thing and we can see the results , Good job mr Goodluck
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by frankoko(m): 6:15pm On Jun 30, 2010
well check this one out

GOVT SACKS NFF, WITHDRAWS FOR 2 YRS

The current board of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has been sent packing by the country’s government, following growing discontent across the nation in the wake of a dismal outing by the Super Eagles at the World Cup in South Africa.

Startling news emerged Wednesday afternoon from the seat of the federal government of Nigeria in Abuja stated further the country will not participate in international football for the next two years, as President Goodluck Jonathan moved in reaction to demands of the ever-critical football loving populace in Africa’s most populous nation.

The clamour had been on for sweeping changes in Nigerian football, following a dismal outing by the Super Eagles at the ongoing World Cup in South Africa, where the team fell by the way side in the group stages, despite having a chance of qualifying with their last match against South Korea.

With the Eagles putting up yet another pathetic performance in the encounter, only to settle for a 2-2 draw and fall short of the group’s second ticket, expectations were rife that top brass of The Glasshouse would swallow humble pie and throw in the towel.

However, the NFF officials brushing aside their failure alongside that of the team, football fans across the country became infuriated with constant distractive talk about NFF board elections and a plot to retain positions for a longer spell in office.

Dramatically, barely 24 hours after the under fire NFF executive committee met in Abuja for an emergency meeting and came out with a communiqué stating an apology for the Eagles’ flaws and earmarking some plans for redemption, the federal government’s sledge hammer came down massively, ordering that the NFF board will not extend its stay.

The government fiat stated that the board is to cease from operating further, few weeks ahead of proposed elections in August, and a new management committee is to now run all affairs of Nigerian football in the interim.

It was gathered further that President Jonathan announced the sweeping decisions after members of the PTF met with him to submit their report of activities since inception last year.

The president approved the decisions as follow –

1. Non-extension of the NFF board’s lifespan immediately
2. Nigeria’s withdrawal from international football for two years

3. A new management team to be put in place to run The Glasshouse

4. Federal auditors to probe accounts of the NFF and PTF

5. Approval to the PTF to build new ‘Football House’

6. Sports minister, Alhaji Ibrahim Isah Bio to inform FIFA about the decisions

Man on the spot for brilafm.net at The Glasshouse, Ajibola Oni reported around 2:45pm that policemen were deployed immediately to man the gates of the NFF secretariat to prevent a breakdown o9f law and order as well as to onstensibly avoid any fishy moves to cover up any illicit dealings among top shots of the federation over the years.

http://www.brilafm.net/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Pogba Pledges Support And Sets Up Fundraiser For Coronavirus Victims / Samson Siasia Unveils Gandoki As The Official Comedian To The Dream Team VI / Senegal Vs Gambia : AFCON 2023 (3 - 0) On 15th January 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.