Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

Beaten Maradona To Consider Future - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Beaten Maradona To Consider Future (558 Views)

Maradona To Run For FIFA Presidency. / Diego Maradona To Coach Iraq / Maradona To Coach Argentina? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Beaten Maradona To Consider Future by worldmuller: 12:02pm On Jul 04, 2010
Diego Maradona admitted Saturday he was devastated to be out of the World Cup and indicated that he may quit as Argentina coach, but said that he needed time to think about his future.

The former midfield maestro was so dejected after seeing his team crushed 4-0 by Germany in the World Cup quarterfinals that he said in his post-match press-conference that "I may leave tomorrow".

Pushed on whether he was quitting, Maradona appeared to backtrack.

"We will see what happens. I haven't thought about leaving, I have to check with my family, with the players. There are a number of things I have to consider," said the 49-year-old.

Maradona, who retired from playing on his 37th birthday in 1997, was appointed coach in November 2008 after overcoming cocaine addiction despite having little previous managerial experience.

He said the Argentine dressing room was sombre after the Germany game and thanked his players several times for their efforts in South Africa.

"In the dressing room I thanked them. I did not talk about the future because this not the moment to do so," he said.

"I believe that the best one can do right now with them is to thank them for all the days we spent together. They behaved as true professionals."

While Maradona was clearly upset at losing, it was the size of the defeat that was the real surprise.

Few expected Germany to take them apart as they did, with Argentina coming into the match having won all their group games and the round of 16 clash against Mexico.

Maradona suggested that the scoreline did not tell the real story, despite Germany controlling the game.

"We studied Germany well and defined exactly who was playing where but from the first cross they got a goal and suddenly it was a different match," said Maradona of Thomas Mueller's opening goal in the third minute.

"We made it easy for them. They had more ideas and better control of the ball. They took advantage of the opportunities they had.

"But this does not take away from my belief that the result does not correspond with what happened on the pitch.

"Germany won 4-0 and I don't want to justify anything. You have matches that turn out this way and others that turn out another way."
by www.worldmuller.com
Re: Beaten Maradona To Consider Future by chidichris(m): 12:14am On Jul 05, 2010
a drug addict can never be a coach to a national side.
i said it on this same forum that maradona is capable of making a decission that cld destroy argentina.
who in the argentine team is better than zanetti?
anyways, is good that germany gave them what they asked for.
next time, let them get a normal person as a coach.
if argentina with all the machines they have cld be humiliated in such manner by germany, it means maradona cannot manage a side like the super eagles as 28 - 0 will be small thing.

(1) (Reply)

Do Nigerians Generally Suffer From Delusions Of Grandeur / Spain, Holland For Historic World Cup Final / 'lionel Messi Is A Cretin'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.