Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

How Did Your Husband Propose? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Did Your Husband Propose? (8346 Views)

Why Do Ladies Cry When Their Man Propose To Them? / Did Your Marriage Start With "Will You Marry Me" Or "Oga, I Don Miss My Period"? / How Did Your Husband React/cope During Labour? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did Your Husband Propose? by whiteNkem(f): 1:57pm On Apr 04, 2007
Now ladies please share with us your wonderful moment of proposal! How did he do it? Were you on a deserted beach and he got down on one knee, took out the little red satin box and showed you the ring with a lovely diamond saying "Will you marry me?" ?

Or even if not that ideal, tell us how was YOUR unique moment!
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by spoilt(f): 7:10pm On Apr 04, 2007
fact is nigerian men dont propose. its wierd but somehow the couple just know they are getting married and start working towards it. its rare that he gets on bended knee and "pops the question" just like in the movies! but dont we just wish they could be more imaginative and romantic! angry
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by Coco29(f): 7:13pm On Apr 04, 2007
roflmao lipsrsealed
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by maxell(f): 7:16pm On Apr 04, 2007
Many Nigerian men do propose !!.

I know of Nigerian women that have been proposed to. @White nkem, If you are in Europe, the Nigerian dude should have blend in with your culture well enough to know that he should propose. if not, then he is not trying to meet you half way as far as learning your culture.

Don't let anyone tell you Nigerian men don't propose. It isn't true.
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by Everbright(f): 1:46pm On Apr 11, 2007
I will answer when it has happened grin grin
For now I reserve my comments lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by angelchi(f): 7:11pm On Apr 11, 2007
Will keep u posted whn it happens grin
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by RedLips3(f): 7:16pm On Apr 11, 2007
spoilt:

fact is nigerian men don't propose. its wierd but somehow the couple just know they are getting married and start working towards it. its rare that he gets on bended knee and "pops the question" just like in the movies! but don't we just wish they could be more imaginative and romantic! angry

Aint that the truth. Most of these people screaming 'fiancee" or whatever dont even have rings or any proof of this so called engagement cept for "well he calls me his wife", na that I wan chop?
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by omoge(f): 7:39pm On Apr 11, 2007
i think for some it's ego thing, lol why should i bend down for the woman eh?

better yet i will give her on the bed, after a stomach filled with egusi and pyam grin

spoilt:

fact is nigerian men don't propose. its wierd but somehow the couple just know they are getting married and start working towards it. its rare that he gets on bended knee and "pops the question" just like in the movies! but don't we just wish they could be more imaginative and romantic! angry
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by cuteass1(f): 9:06pm On Apr 11, 2007
Everbright:

I will answer when it has happened grin grin
For now I reserve my comments lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

of course,just the answer i was about to give. When it happens, nairaland would be the first to know yea right grin

spoilt:

i agree with you, but only to a point wink
dear, just the same thing we're all against generalization

yea, some men in Naija are like that (the ones that score zero in romantic"101"wink but then we can't just measure all in the same spoon when we know that there are some of them that actually have buckled up. Some of them have the "untouched" behaviour because of where and how they were brought up. You'll find most of them in the remote villages and these city peeps that are just as un-modernized. And most of them are with ladies that don't even care whether its done right or not.

that has been the case, but lately and in these reent times, modernization has made it a whole lot different, some are stepping up to be as romantic as the white man. esp. peeps living outside the country and then there are some that are in the country but have a learnt a lot rom movies and stuff

and then we can't forget the few that were born with it wink Rome wasn't built in a day, but we're getting there. It wasnt our culture but who says we can't adapt??

I have not been proposed to yet, but i'm not following any guy home ooh if he doesn't officially do it. "just thinking" its ok, doesn't do it for me ooh cheesy
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by spoilt(f): 12:24am On Apr 12, 2007
I have not been proposed to yet, but i'm not following any guy home ooh if he doesn't officially do it. "just thinking" its ok, doesn't do it for me ooh

@ cute-ass
goodluck waiting for the proposal on bended knee or otherwise.
what you'll hear on your traditional wedding day is " we came to pluck a beautiful flower"!) grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by cuteass1(f): 12:42am On Apr 12, 2007
spoilt:

@ cute-ass
goodluck waiting for the proposal on bended knee or otherwise.
what you'll hear on your traditional wedding day is " we came to pluck a beautiful flower"!) grin grin grin grin grin grin

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL grin grin grin grin grin

only flower? what about plucking a ripe apple lol  grin grin grin but anyways sha he doesn't have to do it on a knee, it just has to be nothing short of a romantic one wink wink . it all depends with whom you're rolling with dearie cheesy cheesy

dear don't tell me you'll be doing the, "ehee when was it we were supposed to be coming to your place for the introduction?", when he hasnt even mention the "M" word lol?
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by Nobody: 1:53am On Apr 13, 2007
spoilt:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Or we came chasing one she-goat in your compound.
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by cuteass1(f): 1:59am On Apr 13, 2007
davidylan:

LOL grin grin grin grin

well that is for sure, but shouldn't that come after the proposal, i mean after i've said "yes, i want to marry him"?
or do they just come plucking and chasing without my consent, well if that's the case then they might want to stop at the market to pick up the item, cos they'll be leaving my compound empty-handed ooh lol grin grin grin
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by ultrafem(f): 2:03am On Apr 13, 2007
lo u guys bad so bad lol
will any of u do traditional marriage?
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by Nobody: 2:08am On Apr 13, 2007
Depending on the guy, your consent should have been sought before we come flower plucking and she-goat chasing. cheesy
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by spoilt(f): 2:12am On Apr 13, 2007
davidylan:

ROFLMAO! davidylan you don come oh!
truly! a fertile she goat!
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by Nobody: 2:30am On Apr 13, 2007
The she-goat stole our yam!  cheesy

Kai! Elders na wa.
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 13, 2007
This thread is so funny.
Spoilt why do we always jam in these places?
Girls,abeg take it easy on our men,we have our culture,the oyibos have theirs,none is superior to the other.

But it is so true what an earlier poster said,the proposals don't come as huge surprises to us naija girls unlike those " oh my God,oh my God-screaming white girls".
A naija girl sort of knows when a relationship is shifting gear towards that direction.

The first day I met my hubby,I just knew within me that he was the one and he had the same feeling in his spirit about me and before we knew it,we had waved goodbye to the other people in our lives and the rest is history.
He proposed in a rather strange but ordinary way,there were no romantic music,no bended knees,infact he was doing laundry and he looked me in the eye and told me he loved me dearly and added that he'll like to share the rest of his life with me,there was no ring!

We later went out together the following day to a jeweler and he had me pick out the ring that I wanted,we had it sized and engraved and went out for dinner then announced to friends and family about our engagement.
To someone this may not be romantic enough but romance means different things to different people.
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 13, 2007
davidylan:

david abeg oooooo
I hope no elder ever opens his mouth to make any such declaration.
I won't blame the girl if she refuses to appear from the inner room
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Apr 13, 2007
babyosisi:

He proposed in a rather strange but ordinary way,there were no romantic music,no bended knees,infact he was doing laundry and he looked me in the eye and told me he loved me dearly and added that he'll like to share the rest of his life with me,there was no ring!

We later went out together the following day to a jeweler and he had me pick out the ring that I wanted,we had it sized and engraved and went out for dinner then announced to friends and family about our engagement.
To someone this may not be romantic enough but romance means different things to different people.

Nna, this story is very romantic! grin No stress, no tearful poems, no mills and boon ring presentation on bended knees. Just plain sincerity. what can be more romantic than a sincere man?

babyosisi:

david abeg oooooo

My dear, elders are doing it everyday. Just watch a few nollywood movies to pick ur own line.

I'm devising strategies to do my own proposal. . . i'm sure i'll be saying something along the lines of "i'm looking for one she-goat that ate the flower in my compound . . ." cheesy
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by spoilt(f): 7:50pm On Apr 13, 2007
babyosisi:

david abeg oooooo

she has no choice but to appear from the inner room oh! after they have paid the brideprice she had better.!  grin grin

your husband proposed while doing laundry?!  shocked
well thats a practical guy if i ever saw one!  grin
at least he took you to buy a ring. most naija girls get both the engagement and wedding bands at the same time just before the wedding.
naija guys just look you straight in the eye and demand "when am i meeting your parents?"
sooooooooooooooo unromantic!  angry
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Apr 13, 2007
spoilt:

naija guys just look you straight in the eye and demand "when am i meeting your parents?"
sooooooooooooooo unromantic! angry

grin grin
What else do you want the harried guys to do?

What's wrong about a man who proposed while doing laundry? Is he any less sincere than the man who took you to the eiffel tower to propose in the presence of 2000 people only to serve you with divorce papers 3 yrs later?
What you consider unromantic may be romantic to others. I will be proposing to a she-goat who steals my flower! grin If you like say that is not romantic! I will buy you sweet after.
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by deejay1(m): 8:27pm On Apr 13, 2007
davidylan no mind this girls joo.
spoilt said nigerian guys dont propose. i guess you not on this planet earth unluck girl check yourself out and you might know why u aint gatta a nigerian guy propose 2 you. , Or we came chasing one she-goat in your compound. nice one mate. if its not because we nigerian guys dont have time to write loads of allegations against ya'll girl you would have shut your mouth up and we wont have spoilt saying we dont propose
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by software(m): 8:32pm On Apr 13, 2007
Una no go kill me for NL
Wat an interesting topic,

Guys make una go learn oooo
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by software(m): 8:36pm On Apr 13, 2007
deejay1:

davidylan no mind this girls joo.
spoilt said nigerian guys don't propose.

I think spoilt is right, I would say 60% of Nigerian Men Dont propose,

The thing would just happen somehow shaaa,
And b4 u know wat's up, Dem don dey see beautifull flower,

Proposing is very important, I think Guys needs learn,
It would even help the marriage.
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 13, 2007
The question is; what defines a "proposal"? The western fall on one knee and present a ring fairy tale?
A proposal does not have to be stereotyped, that is why so many women claim Nigerian men are not romantic. Romantic proposals should not all be about tearful professions of love. It can be done with some creativity.

Take some palmwine to her house, kolanuts, aligator pepper and a small goat! Ask to see the flower that passed by your house yesterday and insist on taking it home to put it in your special water pot. If she doesnt get the message na you sabi! grin
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Apr 13, 2007
davidylan:

The question is; what defines a "proposal"? The western fall on one knee and present a ring fairy tale?
A proposal does not have to be stereotyped, that is why so many women claim Nigerian men are not romantic. Romantic proposals should not all be about tearful professions of love. It can be done with some creativity.

Take some palmwine to her house, kolanuts, aligator pepper and a small goat! Ask to see the flower that passed by your house yesterday and insist on taking it home to put it in your special water pot. If she doesnt get the message na you sabi! grin

bia this boy,you no go kill me with laughter.
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by spoilt(f): 8:54pm On Apr 13, 2007
if una like kill me.  grin
naija guys no dey propose. maybe they do to white women. afterall they arent going to give her the she-goat story!  grin grin. she'll wonder if you are running a temperature.
anyway almost all my friends are married most didnt get a proposal.neither  did my girl cousins. somehow our men just mention marriage. not ask you if you would like to. or love to.
only one friend of mine got a real proposal. i remember how we all gathered her to get the juicy intricate details of how it went down.apparently he took her someplace special on new years eve.he came armed with a ring and popped the question. she said you could have knocked her down with a feather. she was soooooo not expecting it. we were oohing and aahing.  cry cry cry.  its different when a guy goes out of his way to ask you properly. when you are old in your rocking chair you'll remember that day and break into a toothless smile.  grin grin
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Apr 13, 2007
I heard the ultimate Naija romantic proposal a few years ago from a friend.
Her now hubby then her serious love interest sent her a ticket to fly out to the town where he lived for a weekend.
She did not want to travel at that time due to workload but he persisted and she gave in.

Unknown to her,he had made an arrangement with a very fine restaurant and reserved a seat on their best spot,a private balcony overlooking the city and even had it secretly filmed and  after dinner while waiting for dessert,the young man started with all the romantic words you can think off and proceeded to get down on one knee while the waiters gathered around and clapped.
The girl flew back home the day after only to be greeted with bouquets of flowers at home and at work with some romantic one liners.
Now that is very very romantic.
Let me add that this man is a Nigerian born and bred although he's been here for a while now.
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by software(m): 10:07pm On Apr 13, 2007
@babyosisi

That man try ooooooooooo shocked
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by swetangel(f): 11:31pm On Apr 13, 2007
Oh I really enjoyed all your comments and I must say, you are all corrects in your opinions and
reasons. But we must all remember that a black man is different from a white man, and that their
believes,background and culture is not the same. We must be careful how we compare and contrast.
Besides who says proposal must follow a particular pattern?
Who made rules?

Please lets not forget we have different cultures. One can only force a horse to a river but cant force it
to a drink.

Friends, to me Love matters and the happiness of the parties concerned. As long as lovers both agree,
it doesn't mean it must follow a special course. We are blacks and can never change that fact. Rings and likes
belongs to the white man, we only adopted their tradition. Can someone tell me of a white man who goes
she-goating and flower hunting. smiley cool grin

A friend of my brother prepared a local meal, took it to a Lady's office and pleaded for her hand in marriage, today
they are happily married. Please lets appreciate and encourage what we have. Men and ladies we can do better.
Lets correct each other in love. Fellow ladies, You can tell your man what you want wink

[/size][size=8pt]It shall be well with us all, Thanks.
Re: How Did Your Husband Propose? by pearlie: 12:31am On Apr 14, 2007
it was so romantic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Being The Only Male Or Female Child: How Does It Feel Like? / Infidelity In Marriage, Is There Any Cure? / What Do I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.