Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,604 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:02 PM

This Wonder Called Agege Bread - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / This Wonder Called Agege Bread (3255 Views)

See The Bread I Bought From Onitsha Shoprite Yesterday / Photo Of A Baker Sleeping On Piles Of "Agege Bread" / Ewa Agoyin And Agege Bread: The Fading Delicacy Of Lagosians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Wonder Called Agege Bread by pckid: 7:05pm On Jul 05, 2010
phenomenally popular as it has turned out, you don’t want to see the hygienic stat of it source

“In this world, nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.” So said Benjamin Franklin, one of the founding fathers of America, centuries ago. Were he to live in the present-day Lagos, he would have probably added Agege Bread to the list of certainties. In fact, Agege Bread is a phenomenon. From the young to the old, the poor and the reach, Agege bread is becoming something of an obsession to many a Lagosian. Cheap, fresh and undeniably tasty, it cuts across social-economic boundaries. Temitope Orelope, a Lagos based banker is one of them. “Agege Bread is the best in the world especially when eaten fresh. I often wonder why people go for more expensive brands of bread when Agege is readily available,” she says.

Jimmy Ubong, a native of Akwa-Ibom State has spent 10 years in Lagos. He caught the Agege bug when the family he stayed with introduced it to him. Since, his love for the bread has grown. “Whenever I travel out of Lagos, the one thing I really miss is Agege Bread. I don’t bother taking it with me because it is best eaten when it is fresh. I can eat it morning, afternoon and in the evening, why not,” the graphic artist confesses.

Several stories abound about the genesis of this bread. One version has it that the bread began to gain prominence in the early ‘70s. As the story goes, it was first produced in Agege, a suburb of Lagos. From there it eased its way into other parts of the state. Originally known as Ayokuno Bread, when it attained a degree of popularity, it became known as Agege Bread.

These days, other brands of bread dot Lagos State. Makers of these other refined varieties employ improved baking techniques backed with aggressive marketing drive, all in a bid to usurp Agege Bread. Still, Agege bread remains the king in Lagos and other South , http://questionmarkmag.com/2010/07/this-wonder-called-agege-bread/

Re: This Wonder Called Agege Bread by dominique(f): 10:03pm On Jul 06, 2010
[size=13pt]when did razz Agege bread become a wonder?[/size]
Re: This Wonder Called Agege Bread by younggurl(f): 4:53pm On Jul 07, 2010
i hate AGEGE BREAD, because it contains potassium bromide.
Re: This Wonder Called Agege Bread by dominique(f): 5:29pm On Jul 07, 2010
younggurl:

i hate AGEGE BREAD,  because it contains potassium bromide.

[size=13pt]also saccharine and impurities. Agege bread = poison.[/size]
Re: This Wonder Called Agege Bread by jot01(m): 9:42pm On Jul 17, 2010
I Love Agege Bread,
Re: This Wonder Called Agege Bread by tpiah: 1:07am On Jul 18, 2010
hmm, if agege bread is as bad as all that, then how come most people have been eating it for decades with no ill effects?

luck?
Re: This Wonder Called Agege Bread by whiteroses(f): 8:46am On Jul 21, 2010
dominique:

[size=13pt]also saccharine and impurities. Agege bread = poison.[/size]
shocked is it? some of us have been eating it for over 20yrs and my pareants longer and my grandpuba even longer and nothing do us, shold we stop eating it then
Re: This Wonder Called Agege Bread by dominique(f): 12:59pm On Jul 21, 2010
whiteroses:

shocked is it? some of us have been eating it for over 20yrs and my pareants longer and my grandpuba even longer and nothing do us, shold we stop eating it then

if you like it, by all means don't stop. the choice is yours. me, i dislike it for these reasons,

-the saccharine and potassium bromide it contains
-the way it's exposed for dusts and flies before it's packaged.
-the dirty rags they use to wipe it when putting it in the nylons.

i've also eaten it lots during my student and youth service years, but not before peeling out the entire exterior. it's like consuming something you know is bad for you.
Re: This Wonder Called Agege Bread by whiteroses(f): 2:55pm On Jul 21, 2010
^ yeh i understand but i dont even live in nigeria anymore but everytime we are in nigeria,- agage bread is more appealing to us and we prefer it to slice, dunno why lol tanks for info
Re: This Wonder Called Agege Bread by 5p1naz(m): 10:05pm On Jul 21, 2010
ever heard of the placebos? the sugar pills, thats just how this disease nonsense works, while i was in 9ja i was a good agege bread customer and its never had a side effect on me, ur topic aint gona change my love for the bread, it all depends on wat u believe in, lots of lagosians are big agege bread consumers but the population keeps growing stronger daily, do a research on the sugar pill thingy and see wa i mean, depends on ur mind, im out,

(1) (Reply)

Wholesales Imported Dishes / Dinnerware Forsale In Cartons @dishes Gallery Lagos / Is Eating Hot Dog The Same As . . .dog Meat? / Catfish Peppersoup Joint In Surulere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.