Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. (2069 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by AndreUweh(m): 9:15pm On Jul 05, 2010
Bishop Joseph Shanahan who introduced western education and the christian gospel message to Ndigbo  arrived at Onitsha in 1902. In his journeys, he penetrated the Igbo heartland, dealt first hand with all groups of Igbo people and all shades of Igbo opinion. Shanahan by his continued contact with Ndigbo through 1913-1926 reached  an understanding of the Igbo character which he expressed at various times and in various ways.
  Father Shanahan tried to summerise the Igbo traits by referring to the name they bear, to him Shanahan I.B.O meant:
I-stands for Industry, ingenuity and inventiveness.
B- stands for boldness, bravery.
O-stands for obedience.
  One of the Igbo teachers who worked with him, William Onuchukwu interjected-the name is IGBO and not IBO. To this Father Shanahan added 'yes' and G-stands Godly.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by AndreUweh(m): 9:17pm On Jul 05, 2010
Is the above descriptions of the Igbo people correct and precise?.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by 006(m): 9:27pm On Jul 05, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Gbam!
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by ifyalways(f): 3:17pm On Jul 07, 2010
Andre Uweh:

ajuju dokara crotchet !
I agree with the "I" part though,others . . . .ajuju dokara crotchet.
Bia dis 006,i hope na i bughi Toshamn undecided
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by 006(m): 4:10pm On Jul 07, 2010
cheesy

Nne, i na e miss Toshman?
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by ifyalways(f): 4:12pm On Jul 07, 2010
^Tosh rie nshi oku dia. grin
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by 006(m): 4:29pm On Jul 07, 2010
O kwanu onye kwuo, amara ebe aga enyere ya aka.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by AndreUweh(m): 5:22pm On Jul 07, 2010
ifyalways:

ajuju dokara crotchet !
I agree with the "I" part though,others . . . .ajuju dokara crotchet.
Bia dis 006,i hope na i bughi Toshamn undecided
How about the G aspect. Igbo people are Godly. Prior to the coming of christianity, Ndigbo have been Godly. The whites on their arrival in Igboland initially believed the Igbo were ungodly. Later, they confessed to their folly.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by ChinenyeN(m): 5:31pm On Jul 07, 2010
"I" is okay, but everything else seems out place.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by abadaba(m): 5:50pm On Jul 07, 2010
ChinenyeN:

"I" is okay, but everything else seems out place.
What do you mean?.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by ChinenyeN(m): 6:19pm On Jul 07, 2010
Well, "B" just seems out of place because of the "bravery". "G" is far from accurate, in my opinion. If someone could find a synonym for "spiritual/religious" that starts with "g", then I would understand. Lastly, from what I've witnessed, "opinionated" would be more proper for "O" than "obedience".
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by AndreUweh(m): 8:28pm On Jul 07, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Well, "B" just seems out of place because of the "bravery". "G" is far from accurate, in my opinion. If someone could find a synonym for "spiritual/religious" that starts with "g", then I would understand. Lastly, from what I've witnessed, "opinionated" would be more proper for "O" than "obedience".
From the 1900's up till 1920's, Fr Shenaham witnessed an obedient Igbo groups that were obedient enough to abandon some of their obnoxious ways. They were obedient to abandon the killing of twins etc. Indeed, Ndigbo are obedient people.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by ChinenyeN(m): 8:35pm On Jul 07, 2010
Sure, Andre.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by AndreUweh(m): 8:48pm On Jul 07, 2010
On the ''G'' aspect, Prof Chinua Achebe dealt with that in chapter 21 of his monumental book-Things Fall Apart. Here, mr Brown learns better. The British earlier assumed that the Igbo (Umuofia) were fools pursuing childish beliefs who needed only a little enlightenment to be converted.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by ChinenyeN(m): 8:50pm On Jul 07, 2010
Andre are you serious about all this? (rhetorical question). Of course you would be.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by AndreUweh(m): 9:28pm On Jul 07, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Andre are you serious about all this? (rhetorical question). Of course you would be.
The Igbo people are Godly people. This was epitomised in the Umuofian culture which Achebe wrote about.
One Ahiajoku lecture, probably 1985 edition dwelt on this issue.
Ndigbo worshiped Chukwu, Chukwuokike, Chukwuabiamiri, Olisabuluwa etc. That same Chukwu they worshiped in the past is worshiped till this day. The difference now, is the concept of Jesus CHRIST that was introduced.
Hence, Fr Shenahan was right to term Igbo people as Godly.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by ChinenyeN(m): 9:49pm On Jul 07, 2010
I'm not so sure that's the meaning of "godly", but okay. I'll just leave you to wallow in. . this (don't even know how best to describe it beyond "this"). "I" is still the only sensible one up there.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by AndreUweh(m): 10:36pm On Jul 07, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I'm not so sure that's the meaning of "godly", but okay. I'll just leave you to wallow in. . this (don't even know how best to describe it beyond "this"wink. "I" is still the only sensible one up there.
You mean Fr Shenahan said non-sense. Nwokem, respect please.
We have discussed all the letters apart from 'B'.
The Igbo he met was an Igbo society that produced brave men and women. Till date, the Igbo continues to produce brave people.
With the fall of the Sokoto caliphate, the Hausa/fulani sultanate came to an end. Likewise, the fall of Oyo empire and the subdue of the Yoruba race and the fall of Overamnwen and the subdue of Benin empire in 1887.
Kudos to the Igbo people who were very brave to resist the British conquest. The western Igbo bravity manifested in Ekumeku wars. Up till 1929, when other parts of Nigeria were in firm control of the British, Aba women were still resisting British occupation. The Aros, Owerris etc also were brave to resist the British.
Who says the Igbo are not brave people?.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by ChinenyeN(m): 10:44pm On Jul 07, 2010
*sigh* I hope you don't think I'm arguing this with you. . . Just, by all means, feel free to adhere to those acronyms. I personally don't intend on getting in your opinionated way. If you truly believe what Fr. Onyeowula said, then na ya own bi dat. Carry go. I still don't see how those best describe the collection of peoples referred to as Igbo, but na my own bi dat one.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by AndreUweh(m): 10:56pm On Jul 07, 2010
006:

Gbam!
That sums it up.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by mamagee3(f): 11:30pm On Jul 07, 2010
Andre Uweh:

That sums it up.
grin grin grin
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by AndreUweh(m): 5:15pm On Oct 30, 2011
Thank God Ndigbo remains Godly till date.
Re: Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. by AndreUweh(m): 11:13am On Dec 17, 2011
There might have been numerous churches in Igboland as well as non christians, but they all believe in the existence of God.

(1) (Reply)

A / Why Do Blacks Want To Be Jews So Much? / Old Wives Tales About Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.