Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,398 members, 7,808,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Igbos In Bini - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos In Bini (9178 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos In Bini by odumchi: 1:52am On Mar 03, 2012
patriot2:

Are you igbo ?

Yes, Awum nwa avo Igbo.

However, my ethnicity has nothing to do with my opinion. Let's leave our ethnic identities out of this for now. I don't want it to influence our thoughts. Anyway, I still don't see how every Igboman supposedly has Edo ancestry. I don't even know any Igbo subgroup that is comprised entirely of former Edo-speaking people not to talk of the whole Igbo nation.
Re: Igbos In Bini by aribisala0(m): 1:54am On Mar 03, 2012
his seems to be the doctored ogba story.akalaka is believed by ekpeyes to have come from aboh.i am extremely close to an elder statesman from ekpeye and his stories seem more believable.many southern igbo groups are mixture of ekpeye,delta igbo,idu and northern igbo.lies were manufactured recently.ikwerre for example is just a mix of ekpeye and northern igbo people.i will dig the internet for more info on ekpeye.Source, I hope it's not wiki else I'll laugh the hell out of you.
On a serious note, Ekpeye cannot be that old and still have a population of about 150,000. It's relatively young, much younger than Bini.
A na-api umunwoke ha amu?
Moreover, your posts are all contradictory.nigerians and re-writing history? cheiDon't be silly. Instead of an like you to learn from intellectuals here, you are busy diplaying stupidity. Sucker, if you feel they are rewriting history here, you should just post a rebuttal.
I guess you are entitled to your opinion. I beg to differ though. Are you igbo ?his seems to be the doctored ogba story.akalaka is believed by ekpeyes to have come from aboh.i am extremely close to an elder statesman from ekpeye and his stories seem more believable.many southern igbo groups are mixture of ekpeye,delta igbo,idu and northern igbo.lies were manufactured recently.ikwerre for example is just a mix of ekpeye and northern igbo people.i will dig the internet for more info on ekpeye.Source, I hope it's not wiki else I'll laugh the hell out of you.
On a serious note, Ekpeye cannot be that old and still have a population of about 150,000. It's relatively young, much younger than Bini.
Moreover, your posts are all contradictory.nigerians and re-writing history? cheiDon't be silly. Instead of an like you to learn from intellectuals here, you are busy diplaying stupidity. Sucker, if you feel they are rewriting history here, you should just post a rebuttal.
I guess you are entitled to your opinion. I beg to differ though. Are you igbo ?his seems to be the doctored ogba story.akalaka is believed by ekpeyes to have come from aboh.i am extremely close to an elder statesman from ekpeye and his stories seem more believable.many southern igbo groups are mixture of ekpeye,delta igbo,idu and northern igbo.lies were manufactured recently.ikwerre for example is just a mix of ekpeye and northern igbo people.i will dig the internet for more info on ekpeye.Source, I hope it's not wiki else I'll laugh the hell out of you.
I guess you are entitled to your opinion. I beg to differ though. Are you igbo ?
his seems to be the doctored ogba story.akalaka is believed by ekpeyes to have come from aboh.i am extremely close to an elder statesman from ekpeye and his stories seem more believable.many southern igbo groups are mixture of ekpeye,delta igbo,idu and northern igbo.lies were manufactured recently.ikwerre for example is just a mix of ekpeye and northern igbo people.i will dig the internet for more info on ekpeye.Source, I hope it's not wiki else I'll laugh the hell out of you.
I guess you are entitled to your opinion. I beg to differ though. Are you igbo ?
Re: Igbos In Bini by odumchi: 2:48am On Mar 03, 2012
patriot2:

There are many examples like this:
http://nigeriansabroadlive.com/a-yoruba-enclave-in-the-heart-of-igboland/
just use your internet. Moreoverif 700 years ago, only one man in igboiland was bini and he intermarried with igbo and they had kids who married igo and had kids,  then you can be sure that by now every igbo is related to that man.

If I may ask, why couldn't it be the other way round? Using your logic, couldn't an Igbo man marry an Edo woman and then intermix his blood with the entire Edo nation?

Now to adress it seriously, I don't think that is likely or possible. Edo influence in Igboland is confined to communities West of the Niger (where about 10 % of the Igbo nation lives). Even in most of those communities, Edo influence is restricted to certain aspects of their tradition/culture. A man from Ezeagu in Enugu has never experienced any amount of Edo influence whatsoever.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Nobody: 3:02am On Mar 03, 2012
Dr been

1 Like

Re: Igbos In Bini by odumchi: 3:19am On Mar 03, 2012
patriot2:

I didn't say it wasn't also the other way round, and I said it before Chief Agho Obaseki was my great grand father and his grand father was the Obi of Nsukwe. So you see, I am bini, yet I have igbo ancestry.
ANd this has nothing to do with influence, because when you arrive as a minority it becomes dangerous not to adapt yourself to the tune of the hosts(you might get wiped out).

It still seems unlikely to me. When you take population and other factors into consideration, it all seems to unlikely. I think the chances of Nigeria splitting tomorrow are more probable than that.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Nobody: 3:25am On Mar 03, 2012
Dr been

1 Like

Re: Igbos In Bini by odumchi: 3:27am On Mar 03, 2012
patriot2:

I think the pride of some igbo has turn into racism, you refuse to see your connection with bini which would also be your connection to yoruba, why ? Because you have turn racist, I did not invent all I told you, just google it.

Lol, ok now I'm a racist. This is the reason why I was hesitant to reveal my ethnicity initially.
Re: Igbos In Bini by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:56am On Mar 03, 2012
patriot2:

My great grand father was Chief Agho Obaseki, his grand father was the Obi of Nsukwe.
And the obasekis are one of the greatest bini families today. Actually I think igbos are bini run away who did so because bini rules were very tough.

Look patriot2 or whatever they call you; Do not come here and start brewing confusion! Benin in all its population in not up to one million,no compare that to about thirty million Igbos! Benin didnt have the history nor institution to father Igbos ! I will advice you stoutly and politely to not continue with such assumption! Yes,some midwestern Igbos have Benin migrants but the original inhabitants of these towns were Igbos who crossed the niger for expansion,trade and farming but some later returned(Onicha) following a clash they had with the Oba of Benin!
And has anybody ever asked himself why Benin made the Big wall around the Benin during it hay days? Like i have always stated,people always exaggerate the influence of Benin! Good example is the propaganda that Benin kingdom extends to DAHOMEY!
I will have bad blood here with anybody who will open their mouth and say benin are the fathet of ALMIGHTY IGBOS!

1 Like

Re: Igbos In Bini by aribisala0(m): 2:39pm On Mar 03, 2012
There are many arguments against but population is NOT one and is irrelevant.

There are countless examples of greater diasporan populations e.g Brazil 190 million Portugal 10
USA 300 million GB  60

Of course the Migrant population is Not entirely Portuguese /British but that would apply in the Bini -Igbo hypothesis too which I do not endorse by the way
My point is

relative population NOW is irrelevant in proving or disproving Origin Theories

If people migrate to a larger,fertile more hospitable terrritory (LAND FLOWING WITH MILK AND HONEY) they will eventually outnumber those who remain at the point of origin if it is smaller and less hospitable

There are better,logical and more coherent refutations
Re: Igbos In Bini by PhysicsQED(m): 7:46pm On Mar 03, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Look patriot2 or whatever they call you; Do not come here and start brewing confusion! Benin in all its population in not up to one million,no compare that to about thirty million Igbos! Benin didnt have the history nor institution to father Igbos ! I will advice you stoutly and politely to not continue with such assumption!  Yes,some midwestern Igbos have Benin migrants but the original inhabitants of these towns were Igbos who crossed the niger for expansion,trade and farming but some later returned(Onicha) following a clash they had with the Oba of Benin!
And has anybody ever asked himself why Benin made the Big wall around the Benin during it hay days? Like i have always stated,people always exaggerate the influence of Benin! Good example is the propaganda that Benin kingdom extends to DAHOMEY!
I will have bad blood here with anybody who will open their mouth and say benin are the fathet of  ALMIGHTY IGBOS!

Not to join sides here, as I don't agree with the slant of patriot's argument (trying to claim some influxes of Edo people into other groups actually means the entire ethnic group is connected as blood relatives to Edo) but the population of Binis is well beyond a million and the Benin empire did, in fact, extend into Dahomey (Benin Republic) at one point.

"On the West, Benin rule undoubtedly extended, at least from the 16th century, to Lagos, Badagry, and Wydah . . . Lander, who visited Badagry in 1830, reported that the corpse of the late chief of that town had been sent to Benin and Landolphe reported that Wydah (Juda) was tributary to Benin in his day. (Landolphe, 1823, vol. II, p. 62)" - R.E. Bradbury, The Benin kingdom and the Edo-speaking peoples of south-western Nigeria (1957), pp. 21-22

The thing to remember is that the borders of Dahomey/Benin Republic are not really that far from Badagry (less than 20 miles, I think), so it wouldn't take too much effort for an organized military force to extend even further westward if they used Badagry as a base. What some over-claimers do that could be annoying, is claiming that "Dahomey" derives from an Esan general of the Benin empire named Isidahome, which is completely spurious. Benin penetrated west of Badagry, establishing some authority over the kingdom of Whydah, but it did not have any connection to the actual kingdom of Dahomey.

1 Like

Re: Igbos In Bini by odumchi: 11:19pm On Mar 03, 2012
aribisala0:

There are countless examples of greater diasporan populations e.g Brazil 190 million Portugal 10
USA 300 million GB  60

Of course the Migrant population is Not entirely Portuguese /British but that would apply in the Bini -Igbo hypothesis too which I do not endorse by the way
My point is

If people migrate to a larger,fertile more hospitable terrritory (LAND FLOWING WITH MILK AND HONEY) they will eventually outnumber those who remain at the point of origin if it is smaller and less hospitable

Great Britain wasn't entirely responsible for the population of the United States and neither was Portugal responsible for the population of Brazil.

When the US gained Independence in 1783, it had 2 million people and Great Britain had 7 million or so. Of those two million, a little over half were actually Englishmen and the rest were from other European countries. The United State's population grew to it's present size due to mass immigration from Europe, Asia, Africa, and of course through it's own natural reproduction.

Portugal didn't heavily settle Brazil with white settlers. Even prior to Brazil's independence, only 1/3 of Brazilians were white. The rest were either African slaves or Creoles. It's also noteworthy to add that the majority of slaves imported from Africa in the Atlantic Slave Trade went to Brazil. The descendants of these slaves are the majority of Brazil's population.

As for the Edo being responsible for the population of Igboland, I won't even waste my energy. . .
Re: Igbos In Bini by aribisala0(m): 11:33pm On Mar 03, 2012
odumchi:

Great Britain wasn't entirely responsible for the population of the United States and neither was Portugal responsible for the population of Brazil.

When the US gained Independence in 1783, it had 2 million people and Great Britain had 7 million or so. Of those two million, a little over half were actually Englishmen and the rest were from other European countries. The United State's population grew to it's present size due to mass immigration from Europe, Asia, Africa, and of course through it's own natural reproduction.

Portugal didn't heavily settle Brazil with white settlers. Even prior to Brazil's independence, only 1/3 of Brazilians were white. The rest were either African slaves or Creoles. It's also noteworthy to add that the majority of slaves imported from Africa in the Atlantic Slave Trade went to Brazil. The descendants of these slaves are the majority of Brazil's population.

As for the Edo being responsible for the population of Igboland, I won't even waste my energy. . .
aribisala0:

USA 300 million GB  60

My point is

You seem to  have ignored or not read my post completely and just chosen to argue for the sake of it.

I already addressed the issue of whether the migrant population of Brazil or the USA is entirely from elsewhere.
I have  made it clear I do not support the Igbo Bini theory

I also made it clear what my point is

Present population figures i.e Igbo are more or less populated than Bini are not of any relevance in refuting the hypothesis.

Is there anywhere where one nation is formed from migrants from another place where we can say the new nation is ENTIRELY from the OLD 

WHAT IS YOUR POINT EXACTLY??

Mine is simple
In order to refute the BINI IGBO HYPOTHESIS  The current relative populations are of no relevance whatsoever either to prove or disprove the hypothesis

If you are going to refute the argument you can do better than this
The United State's population grew to it's present size due to mass immigration from Europe, Asia, Africa, and of course through it's own natural reproduction. This can actually be used to SUPPORT the Bini -to Igbo hypothesis and NOT refute it. If it could happen in America why not in Igboland. Once again I do not support this view but believe in arguments that are LOGICAL

All you need to is provide alternative hypotheses of which there are a few or other evidence archaeological etc which also exists rather than the visceral reaction offered
Re: Igbos In Bini by odumchi: 12:09am On Mar 04, 2012
aribisala0:

You seem to  have ignored or not read my post completely and just chosen to argue for the sake of it.

I already addressed the issue of whether the migrant population of Brazil or the USA is entirely from elsewhere.
I have  made it clear I do not support the Igbo Bini theory

I also made it clear what my point is

Present population figures i.e Igbo are more or less populated than Bini are not of any relevance in refuting the hypothesis.

Is there anywhere where one nation is formed from migrants from another place where we can say the new nation is ENTIRELY from the OLD 

WHAT IS YOUR POINT EXACTLY??

Mine is simple
In order to refute the BINI IGBO HYPOTHESIS  The current relative populations are of no relevance whatsoever either to prove or disprove the hypothesis

If you are going to refute the argument you can do better than this
The United State's population grew to it's present size due to mass immigration from Europe, Asia, Africa, and of course through it's own natural reproduction. This can actually be used to SUPPORT the Bini -to Igbo hypothesis and NOT refute it. If it could happen in America why not in Igboland. Once again I do not support this view but believe in arguments that are LOGICAL

All you need to is provide alternative hypotheses of which there are a few or other evidence archaeological etc which also exists rather than the visceral reaction offered

No need to pop a vein here lol. I only chose to address the thing you said about America and Brazil for a reason. I don't want to argue about anything related to Edo people populating Igboland. If you want to go on believing that, then you're free to do so.
Re: Igbos In Bini by aribisala0(m): 12:27am On Mar 04, 2012
There was no need to address it because I already clarified it !

aribisala0:

USA 300 million GB  60

Of course the Migrant population is Not entirely Portuguese /British
but that would apply in the Bini -Igbo hypothesis too which I do not endorse by the way

You have not added anything new.
and you seem to be ignoring substance for shadows
Which is that if a town has a population of 10 today that does not preclude if from being the origin of another with a population of 10000 as we have seen in Brazil and the US.

The issue is not of genetic heritage per se so don't confuse yourself.

Again It seems you have comprehension difficulty or are  or mischievous.

I do not believe anything about EDO people as I MADE CLEAR TWICE.

I MADE VERY CLEAR what my point is

ONCE AGAIN I HAVE NO VIEW ON EDO BINI IGBO  ORIGINS

I HAVE NO CLUE

MY POINT IS WE CANNOT RULE IT OUT OR IN BY LOOKING AT CURRENT POPULATIONS
Re: Igbos In Bini by odumchi: 8:40am On Mar 04, 2012
Oh ok.

aribisala0:

There was no need to address it because I already clarified it !

You have not added anything new.
and you seem to be ignoring substance for shadows
Which is that if a town has a population of 10 today that does not preclude if from being the origin of another with a population of 10000 as we have seen in Brazil and the US.

The issue is not of genetic heritage per se so don't confuse yourself.

Again It seems you have comprehension difficulty or are  or mischievous.

I do not believe anything about EDO people as I MADE CLEAR TWICE.

I MADE VERY CLEAR what my point is

ONCE AGAIN I HAVE NO VIEW ON EDO BINI IGBO  ORIGINS

I HAVE NO CLUE

MY POINT IS WE CANNOT RULE IT OUT OR IN BY LOOKING AT CURRENT POPULATIONS

Re: Igbos In Bini by afrodiva: 10:40pm On Mar 05, 2012
I just want to refute certain assertions that have been made on this thread.
1."ekpeye is the twin of igbo" .ekpeye has no ancestral links with igbo. Ekpeyes ancestral links are with some families in ogba land and some parts of ikwerre land
2.ekpeyes do not generally believe that aklaka came
From aboh but from benin and married a benin princess called iyavwame.
3.Abiriba and Ebiriba village in ekpeye land are not pronounced the same way.
4.akpofia is a corruption of the name ekpeye not vice versa.
5.Ekpeye population is not 150k but about 400k .go to
Rivers state local govt commission and find out. to rfrom
Re: Igbos In Bini by Ngodigha1(m): 11:22pm On Mar 05, 2012
afrodiva:

1."ekpeye is the twin of igbo" .ekpeye has no ancestral links with igbo. Ekpeyes ancestral links are with some families in ogba land and some parts of ikwerre land
From aboh but from benin and married a benin princess called iyavwame.
I hope this is not another idiotic attempt to disclaim Igbo as usual.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Abagworo(m): 12:30am On Mar 06, 2012
afrodiva:

From aboh but from benin
and married a benin princess called iyavwame.

@bolded. It is true but a lot of modifications were made to dislink the Igbo part of Ekpeye. Ekpeyes are Oru Igbos in origin just like the other Niger river Igbos. Abiriba and Ebiriba are pronounced the same way but might not be related. Akalaka(recently modified to Aklaka) is Igbo name and not Bini. The non-Igbo factor I have observed in Ekpeye has more to do with Ijaw than Bini. The Bini angle cannot be put in doubt though but is not as pronounced as some recent writers are trying to claim.

I do not consider Ekpeye as an Igbo group but there is no doubt they are related in every way. Language, dressing and type of kingship. I have met some Ekpeyes that identify with Igbo but they are very minimal.

Ekpeye was the first of the three sons of Akalaka who migrated from Benin Kingdom in the 15th Century. He was born in Benin (Edo) and married a Benin girl called Iyavaeme. He lived permanently at their last settlement (Olube) now called Ula-Ubie.

At Ulobe, his wife bore him four male children namely Ubie, Akoh, Okobo and Upata. As the first son of a great general, Ubie was brought up also as a warrior, a brave hunter, a notorious herbalist, a farmer, a trader, a juju priest and all other attributes of a great man. He was the Nye-so-eja-eleof Ulobe and the chief priest of his father, Akalaka shrine Ogbolo now Ogbolo-Imaji brought from Benin. He conquered many tribal wars including the Ikpachors and drove them away from the land now called Ekpeye land.

The children spread themselves through the length and breathe of the land between Orashi and Sombriero rivers. Ekpeye had to his credit seventy-six towns and villages.

http://usama-ekpeye.com/history3.html

Culture
The Ekpeye people have aged long hierarchical and stratified social structures from the families to the communities and clan, possibly due to their migration from a land of well-organized people like the Benin Empire.

One cultural trait of the people is the agglomeration of housing that forms a concentric compact pattern. The early families founded their housing quarter consisting of a family home for husband, wife/wives, and children. Thus, a family is made up of people of common ancestral lineage.
Social Structure
In the social structure of Ekpeye, the smallest political/social unit is the house called Elezhi or Udho and is headed by the eldest man called Nye-nwe-elezhi of Nye-nwe-udho. A number of such houses (udho) in a contiguous geographical area constitute a larger political unit or communal ward called Obodo. There are no physical or visible boundaries such as walls, fences, etc. to separate these obodos, in a particular community. A number of such obodos in a geographic area is called Ula, ruled by the Nye-new-ele or Nye-new-ul.

With the change in the administrational context of the present day, rulership is vested in the hand of an elected head, called Eze-new-ula.
Re: Igbos In Bini by afrodiva: 3:45pm On Mar 06, 2012
@odumchi I'm not here. To argue over controversies which have been rehashed a million times in the past.the fed recognizes ekpeye cool as a seperate ethnicity so who's the bigger idiot .      here.                        the  here.
@abagworo I repeat abiriba and ebiriba are not pronounced the same  .abiriba is pronounced as ahbreeba while ebiriba is aybeereeba with e as in the vowel a, or as in the word hay.
As for dressing ekpeye do not wear tiger head they wear woko, doni.the workout can be worn under wrapper the ikaki bite as kalabaris call it or is worn over trousers. Some men use the red cap like the igbos while most others wear the bowler hat aka resource control. Our beads are also heavier and tend to be pinkish while igbos wear much smaller / thinner beads which are red in colour.usually one layer. In ekpeye land both men and women traditionally wear beads while in igboland (some parts) women did not wear neck beads although
Customs have changed.
Re: Igbos In Bini by afrodiva: 4:10pm On Mar 06, 2012
I meant who's the big  oaf here.not bigger tribe.
Re: Igbos In Bini by ChinenyeN(m): 6:46pm On Mar 06, 2012
afrodiva:

As for dressing ekpeye do not wear tiger head they wear woko, doni.the workout can be worn under wrapper the ikaki bite as kalabaris call it or is worn over trousers. Some men use the red cap like the igbos while most others wear the bowler hat aka resource control. Our beads are also heavier and tend to be pinkish while igbos wear much smaller / thinner beads which are red in colour.usually one layer. In ekpeye land both men and women traditionally wear beads while in igboland (some parts) women did not wear neck beads although

I do not appreciate the attempt to over generalize or otherwise create a false standardized image of "Igbo" attire in the above quote.
Re: Igbos In Bini by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:23am On Mar 07, 2012
ChinenyeN:

I do not appreciate the attempt to over generalize or otherwise create a false standardized image of "Igbo" attire in the above quote.

If Igbos on nairaland didnt start discussing EKPEYE like they are an important entity AFRODIMUMU will not come here and start discussing talking about ppl he knows next to nothing about!
Re: Igbos In Bini by odumchi: 1:22am On Mar 07, 2012
afrodiva:

@odumchi I'm not here. To argue over controversies which have been rehashed a million times in the past.the fed recognizes ekpeye cool as a seperate ethnicity so who's the bigger .      here.                        the  here.
@abagworo I repeat abiriba and ebiriba are not pronounced the same  .abiriba is pronounced as ahbreeba while ebiriba is aybeereeba with e as in the vowel a, or as in the word hay.
Customs have changed. 

When was I talking about Ekpeye or with you for that matter? (trying not to sound hostile)
Re: Igbos In Bini by BlackPikiN(m): 3:46am On Mar 07, 2012
afrodiva:

@odumchi I'm not here. To argue over controversies which have been rehashed a million times in the past.the fed recognizes ekpeye cool as a seperate ethnicity so who's the bigger .      here.                        the  here.
Customs have changed. 

This is the biggest lie here.
Igbo beads are big and heavier too.

Ohh please Igbo Women wore beads too!
Re: Igbos In Bini by ChinenyeN(m): 4:03am On Mar 07, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

If Igbos on nairaland didnt start discussing EKPEYE like they are an important entity AFRODIMUMU will not come here and start discussing talking about ppl he knows next to nothing about!
Thank you, especially regarding the bolded.
Re: Igbos In Bini by Obiagu1(m): 4:10am On Mar 07, 2012
afrodiva is a moniker specially tagged "ekpeye" dedicated to Igbo disclamation.
No need wasting your time with an imposter.
Re: Igbos In Bini by pazienza(m): 12:58am On Mar 08, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Thanks. Let it be known that ekpeyeland is but a bush land,and is of no strategic importance to the rest of igbo tribes,ijaw people can find better things to do with them,nonsense.

Afrodiva is likely to be an ekpeye,i know those lots,they are full of it.
Re: Igbos In Bini by pazienza(m): 8:20am On Mar 08, 2012
Abagworo:

@bolded. It is true but a lot of modifications were made to dislink the Igbo part of Ekpeye. Ekpeyes are Oru Igbos in origin just like the other Niger river Igbos. Abiriba and Ebiriba are pronounced the same way but might not be related. Akalaka(recently modified to Aklaka) is Igbo name and not Bini. The non-Igbo factor I have observed in Ekpeye has more to do with Ijaw than Bini. The Bini angle cannot be put in doubt though but is not as pronounced as some recent writers are trying to claim.

I do not consider Ekpeye as an Igbo group but there is no doubt they are related in every way. Language, dressing and type of kingship. I have met some Ekpeyes that identify with Igbo but they are very minimal.

Ekpeye was the first of the three sons of Akalaka who migrated from Benin Kingdom in the 15th Century. He was born in Benin (Edo) and married a Benin girl called Iyavaeme. He lived permanently at their last settlement (Olube) now called Ula-Ubie.

At Ulobe, his wife bore him four male children namely Ubie, Akoh, Okobo and Upata. As the first son of a great general, Ubie was brought up also as a warrior, a brave hunter, a notorious herbalist, a farmer, a trader, a juju priest and all other attributes of a great man. He was the Nye-so-eja-eleof Ulobe and the chief priest of his father, Akalaka shrine Ogbolo now Ogbolo-Imaji brought from Benin. He conquered many tribal wars including the Ikpachors and drove them away from the land now called Ekpeye land.

The children spread themselves through the length and breathe of the land between Orashi and Sombriero rivers. Ekpeye had to his credit seventy-six towns and villages.

http://usama-ekpeye.com/history3.html

Culture
The Ekpeye people have aged long hierarchical and stratified social structures from the families to the communities and clan, possibly due to their migration from a land of well-organized people like the Benin Empire.

One cultural trait of the people is the agglomeration of housing that forms a concentric compact pattern. The early families founded their housing quarter consisting of a family home for husband, wife/wives, and children. Thus, a family is made up of people of common ancestral lineage.
Social Structure
In the social structure of Ekpeye, the smallest political/social unit is the house called Elezhi or Udho and is headed by the eldest man called Nye-nwe-elezhi of Nye-nwe-udho. A number of such houses (udho) in a contiguous geographical area constitute a larger political unit or communal ward called Obodo. There are no physical or visible boundaries such as walls, fences, etc. to separate these obodos, in a particular community. A number of such obodos in a geographic area is called Ula, ruled by the Nye-new-ele or Nye-new-ul.

With the change in the administrational context of the present day, rulership is vested in the hand of an elected head, called Eze-new-ula.

The language looks igboid in structure,examples: NYE NWE UDHO(ekpeye)= ONYE NWE UNO/UL0/UYO(Igbo dialects), EZE NWE ULA(ekpeye)= EZE NWE ALA/ALI/ANI/ANA(Igbo dialects), NYE SO EJA ELE(ekpeye)= sounds like ONYE NSU AJA ? (he that offers sacrifice?

Oh dear! Even the core structure of their culture,mimicks that of every other igbo tribes,yet somebody would rather look at far away bini to manufacture stories,anyway,they are small and their land not of any strategic interest to the rest of igbo nation.

1 Like

Re: Igbos In Bini by afrodiva: 9:04pm On Mar 08, 2012
@PAZIENZA, you've said it all ."ekpeye are of no strategic importance to the igbo nation".so we know there is no love lost, its all about economics . "THIEVING ROGUES , SHEDDING CROCOIGBO TEARS AT THE LOSS OF MORE OIL REVENUE IN YOUR DELUSIONAL BIAFRA".

@NRI_DEMON we arent important yet abagworo is sooooooOOO obsessed with us. yall"s igbotic asses are all over portharcourt ,bayelsa and every little village/creek in those parts.

@BLACKPIKIN "smaller and redder beads "dont equal cheaper so pls dont pop a vien you might just bleed till you need a blood transfusion, for real. besides every rivers woman who knows about "kilali" knows the igbos wear a different type .
you all need to qiut having convulsions over us its pathetic.
Re: Igbos In Bini by pazienza(m): 12:47am On Mar 09, 2012
afrodiva:

@PAZIENZA, you've said it all ."ekpeye are of no strategic importance to the igbo nation".so we know there is no love lost, its all about economics . "THIEVING ROGUES , SHEDDING CROCOIGBO TEARS AT THE LOSS OF MORE OIL REVENUE IN YOUR DELUSIONAL BIAFRA".

@NRI_DEMON we arent important yet abagworo is sooooooOOO obsessed with us. yall"s igbotic asses are all over portharcourt ,bayelsa and every little village/creek in those parts.

@BLACKPIKIN "smaller and redder beads "dont equal cheaper so pls dont pop a vien you might just bleed till you need a blood transfusion, for real. besides every rivers woman who knows about "kilali" knows the igbos wear a different type .
you all need to qiut having convulsions over us its pathetic.

You see,the problem with you lots is inferiority complex,you feel so inferior to your hard working brothers up north,you feel that you will be swallowed up by other igbo tribes,if you join them,you would rather be a first class ekpeye than to be a second class igbo,you like to feel important and wanted when you hear you brothers up north trying to claim you,you also enjoy the attention,so you go on denying your brothers. And when they get tired of your games and remind you of how irrelevant you are,you start accusing them of being thieves.

You guys need to stop this your childish behaviour,how can ndiigbo steal from themselves,you people are really dumb, when an igboman say that Oguta belong to ndiigbo,he means the Oguta belongs to ndiigbo who are indigenious to Oguta,when he say that portharcourt is an igbo city,he means that portharcourt belongs to igbo people (ikwerre) who are indigenious to portharcourt,nobody is exploiting anybody,grow up.

And oh! Did i get those translations right? Especially the last one?

1 Like

Re: Igbos In Bini by Abagworo(m): 5:30pm On Mar 09, 2012
afrodiva:

Bia that I'm in good terms with some sensible Ekpeye people does not mean you should come here and spew crap with my name. What is there about Ekpeye for me to get obsessed with?

I don't even think a lot of Igbos live in Ekpeyeland. Port Harcourt is not Ekpeyeland so do not come up with that kind of talk.

Teach others about the history of your people without unnecessary insults. I will like to know if you have more oil or intellectuals than Oguta. Mention your own Nzeribes, Justice Oputas, Dr Albans.Flora Nwapas.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Welcome To 2023: What Will Be Your First Task Of The Year? / What Is Agwù In Igbo Tradition? / How The Rich Bury Their Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.