Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,381 members, 7,808,357 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem (6838 Views)

The LAGOS STATE They Don't Let You See (video + Photos) / The Man Who Caused A Scare At The Lagos Airport Today Pictured / See What Was Seen At The Lagos Airport Today (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by Backslider(m): 8:11pm On Apr 04, 2007

The problem is in the solution

Lets us say you have about 1million COMMUTERS (people moving) in Lagos supposing you put a Premium of 200 NAIRA for transportation cost per citizen/day of lagos state
you have 200 million naira a day RAW CASH .

Now in a month this is about 6 billion naira a month this money is 100 million dollars in a month and 1.2 billion in 1 year.

what the State Government should do is

To hold a transparent bidding or Auction where all the transportation stake holders will compete for in a transparent bidding process.

The MAY license will be renewed every x years

NB: you shall encourage the NURTW to collapse in a P.L.C where its members will be share holders of this company that they shall float and they will bid for one of the licenses.

Incentives

Lagos Tax holiday for the x number of years.
Free import tax on all equipment and vehicles
provision of special road by the state
provision of transport police by the state
provision of transport courts and correctional facility for transport offenders

The requirement of the winners

1) The operators must provide 1000 buses from one source (i.e if it Toyota let it be Toyota all through)
2) The operator must have works Shops and after sales guarantee from the suppliers of the vehicles
3) The the buses should be new
4) The operators must provide ticketing to make the system cashless.
5) all seniors and primary children will be given free transport
6) Shall operate 70% air conditioning transportation.

The truth is that a lot of people will get on this later on and I tell you Lagos state will make more money from this in the future, because there is another group of citizens that don't trust the current Molue that will join the buses.

THE LAGOS STATE TRANSPORT AUTHORITY

a) WILL MONITOR AND DECIDE ON REASONABLE PRICE WITH THE OPERATORS FOR CHARGES COMMUTERS ARE TO PAY
b) THEY WILL MAKE SURE THAT THE OPERATORS ARE OPERATING ACCORDING TO LAID DOWN RULES
c) THEY SHALL HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO SUSPEND THE LICENSE (after due process)
d) THE LICENSES TO BE AUCTION WILL BE FOUR (4) ONE SHALL BE RESERVED FOR THE NURTW SET UP COMPANY.
e) THE BUSES WILL BE NUMBERED BY THE STATE TO MONITOR STATISTIC
f) THE LICENSES SHOULD BE SOLD FOR 70 - 100 MILLION DOLLARS WITH FIRST 5 YEARS TAX EXEMPTION.

THE CURRENT MOVES OF THE LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT MAY NOT SURVIVE BECAUSE IT IS NOT ORGANIC. The rich or people must be protected of their investment so must the poor.

I must say That this is just a thought I have had for sometime now, anyone who cares about Lagos State can do work on this.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by debosky(m): 8:20pm On Apr 04, 2007
your arguments are flawed on many fronts

how many people will pay 200naira daily?

does the current road network support this idea?

how do you 'convince' the thousands of area boys and touts who collect money without doing anything?

what about the unruly drivers all over Lagos?

how do you deal with the legion of danfo drivers and conductors all over the place?

1000 buses? how did you arrive at this amount?

this so called 'organic' moves aren't the solution, we need to attack the problem on multiple fronts, the current BRT is a good initial step, but any mass movement of people requires some rail, water and road hybrid, no one solution wil do it.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by Backslider(m): 8:45pm On Apr 04, 2007
Ok

It will supprise you that alot of people use 200 on transport to and from work you can work on other Numbers!
The Molue Danfo Drivers will be Incorporated into THE NURTW OWNED COMPANY.

The network of roads will be made to do so. From the same money paid will used to build ROAD and BUS STATION.

The drivers will be paid well so that they can take mortgage.

We will have to collapse the Agbero system or the commuters are forever doomed to molue transportation that is not competitive.

The number of buses this is a Number It can be Changed.

The number of Licenses can also be changed.

The Organic works better than any other

You can also use this to go into taxi systems

You may even Collapse Danfo into some kind of Taxi

The Problem is so bad It affects us so much we must Organize ourselves if not the population will grow and we cannot meet up.

The SINGLE PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL PARTICIPATION IN TRANSPORTATION IS HIGHLY WRONG.

YES THEIR WILL BE PROBLEMS THAT IS WHY WE HAVE THE STATE GOVERNMENT. THE STATE GOVERNMENT MUST BE VERY STRONG WILLED TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.

The state Government will make half a billion dollars from this sale. There must be transparency.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by debosky(m): 8:52pm On Apr 04, 2007
please explain what you mean by 'organic' I dont see anything organic in your idea either

the drivers who dont follow rules, dont maintain the buses, etc? they will ruin the system and the new buses!

how do we 'collapse' the agbero system?

how do we 'incorporate' these molue drivers? what basis will they have in this company? what money do they have to invest?

there is virtually Nowhere in the world where the government makes money from public transit, much less a poverty stricken locale like Nigeria - the best you can hope for is a system that pays for itself - through taxation and other means, but to envisage profits? dream on

when will this money appear to build the roads? is it before the buses break down on the CURRENTLY bad roads? where in the world has commuter money been used to pay for building bus stations?

your idea of a mass system has some merits, but there are too many flawed arguments and gaps in the reasoning
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by Seun(m): 9:38pm On Apr 04, 2007
You seem to think that replacing molue buses with 1000 new buses will improve the situation of transport? You are badly mistaken. Molues and present commercial buses are enormously efficient. A molue bus carries 2-3 times the number of passengers it is normally expeced to carry, which results in a corresponding reduction in the number of vehicles on the road. Replacing them with buses which carry less people will only worsen the situation.

The only problem of Lagos transport that you will be solving is the "problem" of enriching corrupt government officials.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by Backslider(m): 9:03am On Apr 05, 2007
@ Sheun

The Buses Will be Luxurious buses and The NUMBER IS A VARIABLE. Let us be optimistic of our people. we get what we believe in. Yes there will be corruption but there will be competition between the 5 transport operator.

There is dirt in every business and especially in Government. You must appreciate that MTN Econet and co are doing dirty business. But does that mean that you cant make your calls? Should we then throw them out? Now Global is in Ghana Why? Because of Success.

There will be corruption but there will be the solution to a problem.

ONCE THE LICENSES ARE IN THE HAND OF THE OPERATORS THERE IS NO WAY THE OPERATORS WILL SIT IDLE AND JUST WASTE THE MONEY THEY SPEND. THERE WILL BE COMPETITION THAT WILL BENEFIT THE POOR.

CHINA AND INDIA WILL AND CAN SUPPLY YOU LONG BUSES/ DOUBLE DECKER WITH SPEED THEY HAVE THE MAN POWER TO DO SO JUST MAKE SURE THEY THE OPERATORS MAKE THE SUPPLIERS HAVE WORKSHOPS FOR THE BUSES TO PREVENT DUMPING.

YOU MUST CREATE TRANSPORT COURTS/ OR TRIBUNAL THAT WILL HEAR CASE AGAINST/FOR THE COMMUTER/ OPERATOR

THE OPERATORS WILL PROVIDE THE LONG BUSES THE GOVERNMENT SELLS THE RIGHT TO RUN THE BUSES TO THE FIVE OPERATORS

The success of Lagos state will Spark a Nationwide Belief that we can solve our problems and people will begin to be more creative.

There will be in the future sale of licenses to run a tram or subway within the state.

0.1 success is better than 0 success

THERE IS SO MUCH MONEY TO BE MADE IN LAGOS STATE IN TRANSPORTATION ALONE I CAN SAY THAT THE TRANSPORT BULK SALE A YEAR COULD BE SOME AROUND 3 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR IN LAGOS STATE.

THIS MEANS THAT OVER A FIVE YEAR PERIOD YOU WILL HAVE ABOUT 15 BILLION DOLLARS SPENT ON TRANSPORT BY 20 MILLION PEOPLE. ANY BANK KNOWS WHAT THIS MEANS.

YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO CONTINUE WITH THE STATUS QUO
1) NOT HAVE DEVELOPED A GOOD TRANSPORT SYSTEM
2) THE DRIVERS WILL NOT BE DIGNIFIED PERSONS
3) THERE WILL BE THUGGERY OF THE HIGHEST ORDER
4) THE ROADS WILL BE BAD
5) YOU WILL PRODUCE VERY UNHEALTHY LAGOS STATE CITIZENS

THE GOVERNOR OF LAGOS STATE WILL GO IN HISTORY AS THE PERSON THAT SOLVED THE PROBLEM ONCE AND FOR ALL.

@ DEBOSKY

YESTERDAY BECAUSE OF THE RAIN THE CONNECTION WENT DOWN. I SAVED THE MAIL TO THE COMPUTER I WILL SEND THE RESPONSE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by Backslider(m): 9:42am On Apr 05, 2007
@Debosky

Have you been to Singapore ? they have nothing. I mean absolutely nothing. They have no mineral resource I could see no single farm.

I was Shocked.

IT IS NOT WHAT YOU HAVE IT IS WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH WHAT YOU HAVE.

I think we are only poor as we think we are. Nigeria is not poor at all just go outside Nigeria you will be amazed. We lack organization and Simple Minded Common sense leadership.

A Good Leader Must be a Humble and be able to Work from Absolute Zero.

Look our success in GSM it was reported in Ghana and made news in Ghana . We just need to be determined to succeed.

If you are not transparent people will not follow you. To be ORGANIC is to start from 0 and to appreciate you have nothing and to make sure you carry the people that are the problem and the solution.

THE ORGANIC SOLUTION IS USING THE SAME PEOPLE THAT ARE THE PROBLEM TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM. THE POWERFUL NURTW PEOPLE HAVE MONEY.

YOU WILL JUST NEED TO SEE THAT THERE IS A LOT OF MONEY IN TRANSPORT. IT INVOLVES LIVES. THE REASON WHY THE POLICE KEEPS TAKING KALA FROM DRIVERS IS THAT THE TRANSPORTATION BUSINESS HAS LOOSE MONIES THEY KNOW THIS BECAUSE THEY ARE ON THE FIELD AND INTERACT WITH THE DRIVERS.

SOME TYPES CORRUPTION TEND FROM THE WILL TO SUCCEED YOU AS THE HEAD NEED TO BE ON TOP OF YOUR WORK.

YOU WILL BE USING ONE STONE TO SOLVE 2 DISTINCT PROBLEMS

You have the good will of the people and you can work with the will of the people. The people are as poor as you think they are if a leader tells you that you are poor be weary of him. I am sometimes confused of what is poverty but i can tell you when you have a bad leader even if you are blessed and have gold in your gutter you will not have wealth.

To Live a contented life is one that is very beneficial, not everyone us wants to drive big cars. Some rich people don't see any sense in driving when the transportation is good. When you travel you will be surprised to see the "rich" in a Good transport System reading the dailies.

This companies set up in future May be Licensed to Run Under Subway Train services. I believe we can do it.

Please look at the CIA report on Singapore this will help you know what I am saying.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by segun44: 2:45am On Apr 07, 2007
the best way is to vote for d right man for d job,which is OTUNBA FEMI PEDRO.he has good transport programmme for lagos.www.femipedro.com for his manisfesto.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by JayBaby1(f): 5:06am On Apr 07, 2007
your name says it all - backslider.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by omoge(f): 4:22pm On Apr 07, 2007
Nigeria should make affordable car so that at least each family can have a car. improve the road and create Road Signs.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by Seun(m): 7:38pm On Apr 07, 2007
If every Lagosian gets to drive a car, the transport situation will deteriorate. The solution is simple: more molues!
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by debosky(m): 8:14pm On Apr 07, 2007
Molues will ensure that millions die and then the rest can drive their cars on relatively empty roads. eh Seun?

solution is modes of mass transit not focusing on road alone - rail, waterways and effective buses on the roads coupled with concurrent road network expansion.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by Seun(m): 8:23pm On Apr 07, 2007
What some people don't realise is that Molues are pretty safe because of their relative size. If a molue collides with a car, the car will be destroyed while the molue bus will remain unscratched because of its relative mass. If the driver is not drunk or high of marijuana, the passengers have nothing to fear.

Molues carry a lot of people for each square metre of roadspace they occupy. Whereas, cars carry a very small number of people compared to the amount of space they occupy. Therefore they are more efficient. If we all start using Molues tommorrow, the traffic situation will improve. Car owners don't want to accept this simple truth.

It is not the beauty of a bus that helps traffic, but its ability to fit many people in a small space. Don't forget that!
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by debosky(m): 8:33pm On Apr 07, 2007
I never spoke about beauty, for one there aren't enough Molues, and they have been out of production since the mid stone ages grin so their numbers will definitely decrease till they are no more. Molues may be 'efficient' if you dont mind being pickpocketed, stinky and foul when you get to work. if you need to be clean to run ur bizness, you wont take Molue.

the drivers of molues have to be high on marijuana or drunk in order to drive, that is the Molue Drivers Code (see section XV) grin grin grin

if we use well run buses instead of cars, we will have reduced traffic, and still get around in a decent fashion, this 'efficiency' works because of folk living in certain areas. In Yaba/Surulere where I lived, there were no molues closely available, neither will there be anytime soon.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by Seun(m): 8:45pm On Apr 07, 2007
Molues may be 'efficient' if you don't mind being pickpocketed
I know lots of people who take Molue buses frequently and have never been 'pick-pocketed'. That includes me.

stinky and foul when you get to work.
Oh please. Molue buses are just as clean as taxis and mini-buses. That's is a grossly unfair statement.

if you need to be clean to run your bizness, you wont take Molue.
Taxis are available for people like you who are very rich and afraid of human contact.

if we use well run buses instead of cars, we will have reduced traffic
For the average Lagosian, Molue buses are well run enough. Which is why they are patronized very well.
The fact that they allow people to take advantage of the standing room cuts the fares by 50%.

Nothing stops you from putting your "well-run buses" on the road, but please leave the molue drivers alone.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by debosky(m): 8:50pm On Apr 07, 2007
I'm not attacking the Molue drivers, let them continue grin

after 99 pple stand together in a hot and sweaty bus, how can they not be stinky and foul?

the average Lagosian takes the Molue out of necessity and lack of any other means, not choice, if there were alternatives that were affordable, they would patronise. dont mistake poverty for choice.

being afraid of human contact is not the issue, folk need to be decent transportation, if its available, it will be popular.

we are discussing the impediments - bad roads and poor infrastructure preventing us from putting our 'tear rubber' busses on the road cheesy
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by Seun(m): 9:04pm On Apr 07, 2007
if there were alternatives that were affordable, they would patronise.
A quality product is always less affordable. If you don't want to be squeezed in a bus, then you must pay more!

don't mistake poverty for choice.
When I go to Lagos, I always take a molue bus rather than the smaller mini-buses. And I'm not poor!!

bad roads and poor infrastructure preventing us from putting our 'tear rubber' busses on the road
Please, let's stop giving excuses. Are the tires of the molue buses not made of the same 'tear rubber'?
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by debosky(m): 9:09pm On Apr 07, 2007
they are raggedy vehicles that end up in the Lagoon periodically, the roads are not optimal for good buses to operate, don't try to deny that

you might take Molue, but based on your convoluted reasoning here, I don't think most people would act the way you do cheesy

you must pay more for a quality product, but a minimum standard for any allowed product must be set, I dont think the Molue will meet the minimum standards if the govt does its job properly. I am not talking luxury, just basic bus service - people stand in buses abroad as well, but there are limits and standards enforced, not loading till the bus is in danger of killing the passengers as Molue's do.

'tear rubber' implies mint condition, and no , the molue tires arent, they are worn, treadless things that cause death on the highways.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by Seun(m): 9:13pm On Apr 07, 2007
but a minimum standard for any allowed product must be set,
That is false. Even so, Lagos commuters are already setting minimum standards by voting with their money.

'tear rubber' implies mint condition,
If private cars in Lagos can use mint condition tires, then private buses can use them too. So go ahead!

the molue tires arent, they are worn, treadless things that cause death on the highways.
I disagree. I live close to Lagos, and I can assure you that if the molue driver is sober, then all will be well.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by debosky(m): 9:16pm On Apr 07, 2007
it is not false, the patrons of minibuses exceed those of molues, the molues hold sway primarily with folk who can't afford any better. poverty is not voting, it is lack of any other alternative.

voting with their money is not good enough, someone may buy a fake drug because he feels its cheaper, that dont mean we shd allow such drugs because people 'vote with their money', minimum standards should be set for the good of the people, and Molues will not meet it.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by Seun(m): 9:20pm On Apr 07, 2007
Read the updates on my last post. I'm done. Call me when you start your 'tear rubber no contact' bus service.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by debosky(m): 9:24pm On Apr 07, 2007
correction its 'tear rubber contact optional' bus service grin

I shall start in Onitsha, the home of my beloved Tura marketing center. grin grin
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by Seun(m): 9:27pm On Apr 07, 2007
Contact is optional on a molue bus: if you are ready to pay 2-3 times the usual fare.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by debosky(m): 9:54pm On Apr 07, 2007
lai lai. unless you choose to sit in the drivers lap, there must be contact on a Molue, unless the ones you ride have first class and economy class grin grin
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by Seun(m): 11:49pm On Apr 07, 2007
You can have 2-3 seats to yourself if you're ready to pay 2-3 times the normal fare. There'll be no one beside you.
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by babasin(m): 3:34pm On Apr 08, 2007
move people out of lagos!! or turn lagos state into its own country.

In 2015, Lagos would have 20million people. Liechstein is just 20,000people and its a country!
Re: The Way To Solve The Lagos State Transport Problem by KEKONG: 3:47pm On Apr 08, 2007
any one with an information about equty consulting asking me to come for tthree days training program with writing materilsa, as well as bpaying 3500 for the materials to an acount. pls helpppppppppppp oo

(1) (Reply)

NCAA Issues Ebola Alert To Airlines, Calls For Vigilance / Pictures Of Igbo Villages (post Your Igbo Village Pictures) / Stunning Pictures Of Brazil That The Media Won't Show You(photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.