Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

"Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! (11956 Views)

How Can I Use My Fone As Modem For Browsing With My Laptop (mtn, Glo, Zain Etc) / Ip Address For Free Internet On Zain Zambia Or Mtn Zambia / ****zain Internet Activation***** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by TMemos: 5:32pm On Jul 07, 2010
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business/5590687-146/zain_gets_yet_another_name_.csp

By Ejiro Gegere
July 7, 2010 02:12AM

For the sixth time, Zain Nigeria has got a new name. The mobile phone company that started trading as Econet in 2001 and the first to be licensed by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) became Bharti Airtel Nigeria on Tuesday, following the sale of Zain Africa to Bharti Airtel India.

At a press conference in Lagos, the management staff of Bharti Airtel Group reaffirmed that the new management and brand are committed to doing business in Nigeria, its turbulent history notwithstanding.

NEXT reported in our February 28 edition, that Broad Communications, a major shareholder of Zain Nigeria, had accused the majority shareholders, Zain Group, Kuwait, of mismanagement, fraud, and capital flight to the tune of N16.6 billion. Broad further accused Zain Kuwait of not paying its shareholders dividends since the Kuwait group started managing the firm.

In June, Broad again filed a suit against the directors of Zain Nigeria over the five-year lease of the company's head office at Ikoyi for $27 million.

Oba Otudeko, the company chairman said on Tuesday, "You do not require any education on the history of our company through all the twists and turns over the years. One thing I must say, however, is that our resilience and the grace of God have left us stronger and more resolved to serve you better.

"Indeed we have come a long way and achieved a number of remarkable milestones, as reflected in numbers of firsts that we have recorded in the Nigerian telecom industry. On behalf of the board and management, I want to assure Nigerians that our best is yet to come."

Also speaking, Rajan Swaroop, the new chief executive officer said, "Let me also reaffirm our commitment as a business to continue to go the extra mile to meet and exceed the expectations of our customers. With Bharti Aritel, we can only do better. Bharti Aritel would build on the momentum of activities to ensure we provide quality services to all Nigerians, irrespective of their economic power and social status."

A new name all the time

The company started as Econet Wireless Nigeria (2001); Vodacom Nigeria (2004); and the same year to V-Mobile Nigeria; Celtel Nigeria (2006); to Zain Nigeria (2008) and now Bharti Airtel Nigeria.

According to Manjo Kohli, the Africa group chief executive officer of Bharti Airtel, the new brand name would coincide with the 50th Independence anniversary of Nigeria on October 1.

"We will invest $600 million in Bharti Airtel Nigeria in the next three years. Fifty per cent of that amount would come up in the first year. We have looked that the Nigerian telecom industry and have discovered three issues: quality of service, freedom to make calls and affordability of service which we would work on to provide quality service to consumers," added Mr Kohli.

Subscribers are, however, concerned about the quality of service following another name change. Deolu Ogunbanjo, the president of the National Association of Telecoms Subscribers (NATCOMS) said via phone, "Somehow, I do not expect that the new change in name would affect them because of their subscriber's volume but may affect them if their quality of service becomes bad.

"Once they zero their mind on the quality of service and cheaper tariffs, then they would be able to survive the change. Considering the volume of subscribers Bharti Airtel has around the world and its history, it would be able to bring down Nigerian tariff."

Frank Okafor, a subscriber said, "I am not concerned about their change of name but about the quality of their service which I hope improves soon or they will lose subscribers."

Following the acquisition of Zain Africa in 15 countries, Bharti Airtel becomes the fifth largest mobile company in the world with over 180 million customers across its business units.
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by canuck(m): 5:41pm On Jul 07, 2010
Quite unstable.

However, if this translates into better, cheaper service, Nigerians don't care if they change their name every week!
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by lahips: 5:43pm On Jul 07, 2010
hummm rebranding is always a big task here, though it was fun then, with all the travelling, well i wish them the best and hope they maintain a good service quality cause thats all that matters.
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by abott(m): 5:53pm On Jul 07, 2010
Econet Wireless
Vodacom
V-Mobile
Celtel
Zain
Bharti Airtel , and still counting!!!
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by drmoney: 5:57pm On Jul 07, 2010
When someone hinted sometime ago dat we'll soon wake up to see this network bearing 'Indomie Telecomms',I argued.
Now I see she was really seeing into the future. grin
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by Johnpaul2k2(m): 6:04pm On Jul 07, 2010
Whatever, plz the company need total Breakthrough
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by adexchamp(m): 6:09pm On Jul 07, 2010
Oh nooooo not AGAIN!!!!
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by PurestBoy(m): 6:13pm On Jul 07, 2010
Will not stop changing name until I acquire it.
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by eros(m): 6:24pm On Jul 07, 2010
The company is under a spell and will never be stable until they are completely ruined.
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by felifeli: 6:38pm On Jul 07, 2010
Ugly name for ugly company.
I pray that they will now stop sending me 419 sms to win 2million ten times a day. angry
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by denony(m): 6:39pm On Jul 07, 2010
If they want let them rename it

naija nawa, who cares
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jul 07, 2010
This is the begining of the end for zain. Any company that indians handles never do well. After syphoning billions of dollars they will then abandon or sell off the fundless carcass company. I'm talking from experience.
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by Bounce714: 6:44pm On Jul 07, 2010
Hum!!

They are almost getting there------------------------------

The final owners would be BOUNCE MOBIL!!

na me and my Padis go buy this company las last!! grin
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by elrony(m): 6:51pm On Jul 07, 2010
next 3 years, bharti airtel gets yet anoda name, osuofia telecom
shocked
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by millinmax2(m): 6:54pm On Jul 07, 2010
Lol this our country self na wa oo
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by dolu2007(m): 7:02pm On Jul 07, 2010
Bharti Airtel Nigeria's logo-

Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by paddylo1(m): 7:06pm On Jul 07, 2010
Lol this our country self na wa oo

This has nothing to do with our country. . .Bharti is a huge Multinational Indian company that Bought into Zain
hence the name change

This is the begining of the end for zain. Any company that indians handles never do well. After syphoning billions of dollars they will then abandon or sell off the fundless carcass company. I'm talking from experience.

Bharti spent close to $10billion for this African acquisition,it will spend billions more on roll out,adverts,and network improvement
Its listed on the Indian stock market and has shareholders. .why do u think it will waste that much money only to abandon it?

For your info they own the company,its not GOVT owned,they cannot steal from themselves
so your analogy does not apply here
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by octar6: 7:09pm On Jul 07, 2010
chei, dis network is very confused oh. another change of name again. embarassed
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by surugede(m): 7:12pm On Jul 07, 2010
the change of name is not my problem, it is the owner of the name that bothers me. Bharti in an Indian company, after the number of guys that Zain sacked, I m just wondering the number Bharti will sack and how many more Indians with our residence and work permit will be migrated to Nigeria.

This is not good for us as a ppl and we know this.

Working for Lebanese is the worst thing that can befall one, then working, then Chinese
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by lannre(m): 7:14pm On Jul 07, 2010
change is the only permanent variable.
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by surugede(m): 7:14pm On Jul 07, 2010
the change of name is not my problem, it is the owner of the name that bothers me. Bharti in an Indian company, after the number of guys that Zain sacked, I m just wondering the number Bharti will sack and how many more Indians without residence and work permit will be migrated to Nigeria.

Working for Lebanese is the worst thing that can befall one, then working, then Chinese
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by cold(m): 7:23pm On Jul 07, 2010
PurestBoy:

Will not stop changing name until I acquire it.
grin I say AMEN to that
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by paddylo1(m): 7:24pm On Jul 07, 2010
the change of name is not my problem, it is the owner of the name that bothers me. Bharti in an Indian company, after the number of guys that Zain sacked, I m just wondering the number Bharti will sack and how many more Indians without  residence and work permit will be migrated to Nigeria.

If u wanted the company,u should have raised the necessary money($10-billion) to acquire it. . .  .

If u cannot raise the money,then no need to start complaining here,
one thing the NCC should do though which i will support

is to enact a law that makes it mandatory for all telecoms companies operating in Nigeria
to list a minimum of 50% of its shares on the NSE

That way ordinary Nigerians can buy into the companies and share in their success
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by oluwabamis(m): 7:27pm On Jul 07, 2010
zain is the worst gsm coy in nigeria, and this indian connection is surely making it the worstest (pardon my grammer). zain is just a terrible network. imagine luring me to pay 5k paying for zain blackberry service that didnt work. I wish glo just aquire them for good
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by honsule(m): 7:28pm On Jul 07, 2010
My sim is still showing zain o.I can't wait to see this "Bharti airtel"
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by Suntemi(m): 7:30pm On Jul 07, 2010
I foresee new F B T coming grin grin grin
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 07, 2010
abott:

Econet Wireless
Vodacom
V-Mobile
Celtel
Zain
Bharti Airtel , and still counting!!!

it's part of rebranding
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by honsule(m): 7:43pm On Jul 07, 2010
sun_temi:

I foresee new F B T coming grin grin grin

New APN abi?
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by opribo(m): 7:57pm On Jul 07, 2010
Opportunity for Glo and MTN to rake in more customers before Bhati finish rebranding. No issues
Re: "Bharti Airtel Nigeria" - Zain Gets Yet Another Name! by Suntemi(m): 8:03pm On Jul 07, 2010
honsule:

New APN abi?

yea my Oga.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do You Download Large Files? / What To Look For When You Buyused Iphone / Nigeria Climbs To Third Position In Mobile Malware Attacks In 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.