Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:59 AM

Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children (4220 Views)

Poll: Do you support this law.

Yes: 33% (8 votes)
No: 54% (13 votes)
Undecided: 12% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Husband Beats Pregnant wife for flogging his Dog...! / At What Age Does Parent Need To Stop Flogging Their Children? / Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 10:43pm On Jul 07, 2010
[size=14pt]Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children[/size]
    Date: Jul 7th, 2010. | Category: Metro, News.

If  the Criminal Law Bill currently being deliberated by the Lagos State House of Assembly sails through, then many parents in the state would face various prison terms for beating up their kids.

The bill has prescribed prison terms for various offences including the beating or flogging of children by their parents.
The bill also sees the maltreatment of animals as a criminal offence while the culprits are liable to imprisonment.
It also seeks to legalise abortion but this is limited to incidents of despoil and incest.

This was made known at a public hearing on the bill for a law to enact rules on criminal conduct, regulate public order and for other connected purposes with the title: “The Criminal Law of Lagos State 2010”.

The bill, if passed into law, would also promote an orderly society, foster collective obligation and duty towards the preservation and protection of life and property.
It would also discourage and deal with conducts that unjustifiably and inexcusably inflict or threaten substantial harm to individual or public interests.
The bill also seeks to look at persons whose conducts indicate that they are disposed to commit offences.

The bill which is divided into nine parts, 48 chapters and 414 sections, classifies offences into three types namely: felony, misdemeanours and simple offences.
Section eight of the bill defines felony as “any offence which is declared by law to be a felony, or is punishable, without proof of previous conviction with death or with imprisonment for three years or more.

“All offences, other than felonies and misdemeanours are simple offences.”

However, some Lagosians who attended the public hearing advocated for the abolishment of capital punishment, life imprisonment, and called for the legalisation of abortion in cases of incest, despoil, HIV/AIDS and other unusual circumstances.
According to them, the maximum prison sentence for offenders should be put at 20 years since criminals could be reformed and make meaningful contribution to the society after serving their prison terms.

Professor Adedokun Adeyemi of the University of Lagos, while commenting on the issue said, “death penalty does not affect the rate of criminality and Lagos in the 21st century should not adopt it.”
—Eromosele Ebhomele

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/07/07/lagos-parents-may-go-to-jail-for-flogging-their-children/
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 10:50pm On Jul 07, 2010
will teachers also go to jail for flogging their students?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by reindeer: 11:05pm On Jul 07, 2010
is this a joke?
Leave an african kid alone so they can become like this yeye ones in the UK,these ones wey no fear dem papa talkless of dem mama?
we just dey start our problems be that!
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 11:17pm On Jul 07, 2010
reindeer:

is this a joke?
[b]Leave an african kid alone so they can become like this yeye ones in the UK,[/b]these ones wey no fear dem papa talkless of dem mama?

What have we gained from children fearing their parents in Nigeria?. Any special advantage regarding the progress of human mind?. Bankole and Co feared their dad yet they end up stealing from our coffers like there will be no tomorrow. Children are not supposed to be afraid of their parents.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 07, 2010
reindeer:

is this a joke?
Leave an african kid alone so they can become like this yeye ones in the UK,these ones wey no fear dem papa talkless of dem mama?
Thank You.
If Nigeria want to start adopting the wester-ways of life, then they should start it from their political, eonomical, technological and medical views.

I dont support this at all.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 11:27pm On Jul 07, 2010
still want to know what they will do with teachers,uncle and aunties who flog kids because its not only parents who raise their kids

and how they plan to enforce this "law". will the child/ren have access to the police?

@ Ebony

wetin happen shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 11:31pm On Jul 07, 2010
~Sissy~:

still want to know what they will do with teachers,uncle and aunties who flog kids because its not only parents who raise their kids

and how they plan to enforce this "law".  will the child/ren have access to the police?

@ Ebony

wetin happen shocked shocked shocked

Call 999 from their cell phone whenever they are subject to abuse. the proliferation of paedophilia in Nigeria calls for such laws to be established. If kids have direct access to the police, many paedophiles would have been nipped from the bud long time ago. Denial will lead us no where.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jul 07, 2010
~Sissy~:

and how they plan to enforce this "law".  will the child/ren have access to the police?
I think it'll gradually spread to "Anybody" who flogs/"abuse" a child. I'm assuming that the parents are being tackled because they're responsible for their children.

The child/ren can report "abuse" to their teachers or neighbors. But it's such an irony because the teachers/neighbors are child beaters themselves. So I dont think this whole law thing will work.

Another assumption: This new law is an effect, prolly from the mother that accidentally killed her baby when she spanked her. So sad.

Sissy, do you support this?

Nothing happened, not what you think wink
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Radiant(f): 11:36pm On Jul 07, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Call 999 from their cell phone whenever they are subject to abuse. the proliferation of paedophilia in Nigeria calls for such laws to be established. If kids have direct access to the police, many paedophiles would have been nipped from the bud long time ago. Denial will lead us no where.

999 UK or which one?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 11:37pm On Jul 07, 2010
Radiant:

999 UK or which one?
999 Nigeria. I am surprised you don't know the Nigerian police direct number.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 11:39pm On Jul 07, 2010
I've added a poll so we can have an idea of  how much support this new law will garner among Lagosians.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 11:40pm On Jul 07, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

999 ke? i doubt this law will effectively be enforced. we are certainly not yet cut out for this "kind of law"
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 11:42pm On Jul 07, 2010
~Sissy~:

999 ke? i doubt this law will effectively be enforced. we are certainly not yet cut out for this "kind of law"

[size=16pt]YES WE ARE; YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

Say NO to the abuse of children from their supposedly loved ones.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by oyinda3(f): 11:44pm On Jul 07, 2010
this is good news
but what is the exact wording of the bill?
can u post it here?

I have a feeling one is allowed to flog their kids as long as it's not excessive to the point that marks and blood are apparent on the skin. a lot of naija parents actually beat their kids to that point which to me is child abuse.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Radiant(f): 11:45pm On Jul 07, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

999 Nigeria. I am surprised you don't know the Nigerian police direct  number.

999 or 199?

Has anyone actually succeeded in getting hold of the police on their number
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 11:47pm On Jul 07, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I think it'll gradually spread to "Anybody" who flogs/"abuse" a child. I'm assuming that the parents are being tackled because they're responsible for their children.

The child/ren can report "abuse" to their teachers or neighbors. But it's such an irony because the teachers/neighbors are child beaters themselves. So I dont think this whole law thing will work.

Another assumption: This new law is an effect, prolly from the mother that accidentally killed her baby when she spanked her. So sad.

Sissy, do you support this?

Nothing happened, not what you think wink

personally, i think they should more interested in creating strict laws against child molestation. while i dont wholeheartedly support this "law", i do agree however, that some children are abused physically in the hands of their parents and otherwise.

it will be hard to define that line between normal discipline and abuse when it comes to flogging, therefore IMO, this law is only effective on the papers that its written in.

it will be interesting to see that child that will have the gut to report his/her parents for flogging him/her

ok dear, thought it was the 3 words thing that happened grin
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 11:50pm On Jul 07, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

[size=16pt]YES WE ARE; YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

Say NO to the abuse of children from their supposedly loved ones.

we "can" but not "yet"
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 11:52pm On Jul 07, 2010
~Sissy~:

we "can" but not "yet"

Why are we always pessimistic?. What are the constraints of this law anyway?. It's not as if it is a rocket science project.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jul 07, 2010
~Sissy~:

personally, i think they should more interested in creating strict laws against child molestation. while i dont wholeheartedly support this "law", i do agree however, that some children are abused physically in the hands of their parents and otherwise.

it will be hard to define that line between normal discipline and abuse when it comes to flogging, therefore IMO, this law is only effective on the papers that its written in.

it will be interesting to see that child that will have the gut to report his/her to parents for flogging him

ok dear, thought it was the 3 words thing that happened grin
Exactly. One cannot distinguish a normal discipline and an abuse when it comes to Nigerian parents. So far, IMO, cane and koboko has been one of the major factor that keeps kids from disobeying their parents. Mo agree, there's no way the law can insert an "exception" into that law. What level of spanking are we talking about?  

Imagine fearing discipling a naughty child because of the thought of going to jail. Or the child having the audacity to misbehave because "Mommy and daddy can't beat me".
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 11:59pm On Jul 07, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Exactly. One cannot distinguish a normal discipline and an abuse when it comes to Nigerian parents. So far, IMO, cane and koboko has been one of the major factor that keeps kids from disobeying their parents. Mo agree, there's no way the law can insert an "exception" into that law. What level of spanking are we talking about?  

Imagine fearing discipling a naughty child because of the thought of going to jail. Or the child having the audacity to misbehave because "Mommy and daddy can't beat me".

Our children are not Fulani cattles. If you must flog somebody, try it on your body and see how it hurts.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 12:00am On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Why are we always pessimistic?. What are the constraints of this law anyway?. It's not as if it is a rocket science project.

i dont think its a case/issue of being pessimistic but realistic. its just our society.

will there be an exception i.e in cases where a child refuses to do something the parents ask him/her  to do and disciples him/her for disobeying her/him?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 12:02am On Jul 08, 2010
~Sissy~:

i dont think its a case/issue of being pessimistic but realistic. its just our society.

will there be an exception i.e in cases where a child refuses to do something the parents ask him/her  to do and disciples him/her for disobeying her/him?

If the child disobeys you, call the Lagos state family court who can place him/her to psych evaluation and determine how best to help the child. This is 2010 and not 1920. Disobedience is not an emergency and can wait till monday when the family court opens.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 12:05am On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Our children are not Fulani cattles. If you must flog somebody, try it on your body and see how it hurts.
It hurts, and I think that's the point. It's a reinforcement, a punishment that reinforces children to behave or look forward to some spanking.

Some parents abuse the koboko, ending up brutalizing their children. It's all about control.

There's always going to be a rotten apple amongst a pile of golden apples.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 12:06am On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

If the child disobeys you, call the Lagos state family court who can place him/her to psych evaluation and determine how best to help the child. This is 2010 and not 1920. Disobedience is not an emergency and can wait till monday when the family court opens.

Emeka c'mom, if my daughter disobeys me instead of me, her mother and parent to disciple her i will call some center to evaluate her for me?

for where? lai lai
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by MissyB1(m): 12:14am On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Observing the amount of confidence with which You speak of this Police force, I'm forced to ask - '' Aren't we talking about the Nigeria Police Force, here?
Isn't it the same bunch of clowns and harass and oppress You instead of being Your ''friends''?

There are already existent laws begging to be enforced squarely and there they sit, planning to enact more bills. This particularly ridiculous one, for that matter!!!

Topic -
There's no denying that, in an attempt to discipline a child, some Nigerians end up abusing him, [which I'm very much against] but I don't see how calling the police would make the situation better. We are NIGERIANS for Christ's sake.
A few lashes on some parts of the body is needed to pass some directives across.
I received ma own share while growing up and It didn't kill me. In fact, it contributed to making me  a better person. Spare the rod . . .
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 12:14am On Jul 08, 2010
~Sissy~:

Emeka c'mom, if my daughter disobeys me instead of me, her mother and parent to disciple her i will call some center to evaluate her for me?

for where? lai lai

The truth is that there are many children who are not more under the tutelage of their biological parents in Nigeria because of the proliferation of divorce. Divorce rates are too high in Nigeria today especially in Yorubaland and many kids find themselves under the care of step parents who turns around to abuse them physically, verbally or sexually. Trust me, there is a difference between the way you will discipline your daughter and the way a step dad/mom will discipline her. Why do you think there are so many paedophiles in police net today in Nigeria?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 12:16am On Jul 08, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

It hurts, and I think that's the point. It's a reinforcement, a punishment that reinforces children to behave or look forward to some spanking.

Some parents abuse the koboko, ending up brutalizing their children. It's all about control.

There's always going to be a rotten apple amongst a pile of golden apples.

That is why we are putting this law into place in order to control parents who refuse to have self control. I remember a case reported here about a father who used a dane gun to shoot his two children out of anger. Imagine!

Here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-464086.0.html
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 12:20am On Jul 08, 2010
Missy B:

Observing the amount of confidence with which You speak of this Police force, I'm forced to ask - '' Aren't we talking about the Nigerian Police Force, here?
Isn't it the same bunch of clowns and harrass and oppress You instead of being Your ''friends''?

There are already existent laws begging to be enforced squarely and there they sit, planning to enact more bills. This particularly ridiculous one, for that matter!!!

Topic -
There's no denying that, in an attempt to discipline a child, some Nigerians end up abusing him, [which I'm very much against] but I don't see how calling the police would make the situation better. We are NIGERIANS for Christ's sake.
A few lashes on some parts of the body is needed to pass some directives across.
I received ma own share while growing up and It didn't kill me. In fact, it sharpened me into a better person. Spare the rod . . .

Our police has improved. The Nigeria police you know before is no more what is obtainable today. Have some faith please.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 12:22am On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

The truth is that there are many children who are not more under the tutelage of their biological parents in Nigeria because of the proliferation of divorce. Divorce rates are too high in Nigeria today especially in Yorubaland and many kids find themselves under the care of step parents who turns around to abuse them physically, verbally or sexually. Trust me, there is a difference between the way you will discipline your daughter and the way a step dad/mom will discipline her. Why do you think there are so many paedophiles in police net today in Nigeria?
Oh now I get what you're saying. True that.

1. What's the divorce rate in Nigeria?

2. I propose that if this law is to pass, Nigeria should also adopt the "Children and Family Social Services" program. If the child is continuously abused, then the child should be removed from the premises immediately. Why arrest the parent, then leave the child with the family members and relatives? That's even worse.

3. If we should consider your reason, then we should also consider the possibility of a child patching up lies in order to get her "despised" step parent out of his/her life.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by oyinda3(f): 12:23am On Jul 08, 2010
if you go to work and u commit some offense at work, does your boss flog you or reduce your paycheck? which is more humanitarian? which would you prefer?

to me, the flogging will reduce my self worth (it will remind me of slavery. or of animals). the pay check deduction won't. it's a psychological thing.
but unfortunately, that's what's considered normal in naija so it may not affect us psychologically. even police flog full grown adults in the streets. lol  there was some youtube video like that and it was weird for me to watch.

i think maybe parents should find alternatives ways of punishing their kids. i.e withhold the new shoe or deny them of a comfort etc. but this will be hard for the poor.
i'm still sort of undecided. but I like the bill though. It was created with good intentions.
maybe it will soften ppl more n reduce will contribute to a less violent naija.

I wonder if any public policy research or study was done in naija that influenced the creation of this bill. or if we're just taking a page off the european and american books as usual.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 12:23am On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

are you insinuating that spanking,beating, flogging etc be done away with in our society?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 12:25am On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

That is why we are putting this law into place in order to control parents who refuse to have self control. I remember a case reported here about a father  who used a dane gun to shoot his two children out of anger. Imagine!

Here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-464086.0.html
That case is totally irrelevant to this law.

This is a case of murder. Not tied to children disciplinary action.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Legacy....a Tribute To My Dad / Characteristics of a Typical Nigerian Mother. (lol) / Waiting Room Versus Labour Room, Which Is Worse?(my Experience)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.