Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:40 PM

"ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War (5165 Views)

Road To War :nigeria To Sign Defence Pact With Russia Over Bakassi/cameroon. / Photo Shows Civilian-JTF Going To War With Nigerian Soldiers In Boko Haram War / Muslims Can’t Go To War Over Islamic Banking – NSCIA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by Ikengawo: 3:13am On Jul 08, 2010
Ghanaians move against Nollywood • Nigerian Actors to pay $1,000, producers pay $5,000 to work in Ghana • Nollywood retaliates
By Samuel Olatunji

Sunday, July 4, 2010

The relationship between Nigerian movie industry otherwise known as Nollywood and Ghanaian movie industry popularly known as Ghollywood is strained now due to a resolution by Ghollywood that Nollywood is “dim, insulting and retarded”.

Arinze

advertisement

The Ghana Actors’ Guild penultimate week reached a resolution that henceforth any Nigerian producer that wants to work in Ghana must pay $5000 while Nigerian actors must pay $1000 per movie. Producers must also pay $300 for every Nigerian crewmember on set. What is however not clear is whether it is the actor that must cough out the $1000 or the producer using the actor?

The move SBN learnt, did not go down well with stakeholders in Nollywood who feel Ghanaians are biting the fingers that fed them. “How in the world can Ghanaians ever think up such idea? We taught them our way, make their actors popular, put food on the table of their stars, show them the way to go in movie making, established interesting collaborations with them and even gave them awards and recognition they would not have gotten anywhere.

Our company endorsed their stars, and we are part of the reason their economy is working. This move is retarded. Ghanaians are ingrates and are becoming greedy. We will show them we are ten steps ahead of them” a Nollywood stakeholder who does not want his name in print told us. Factional president of Actors Guild of Nigeria, Mr Segun Arinze said “we are meeting to review the situation and I will let you know our decision”.

However, a source told us that Nollywood has already reached a decision which might finally put an end to the working relationship between Ghanaian and Nigerian actors. Nollywood has also resolved that every Ghanaian actor will pay $2,000 while producers will pay $7,000 and the resolution will be effective from July. AGN has also agreed to persuade all corporate bodies in Nigeria to stop employing Ghanaians . “Whether it is endorsement, invitation to event or anything at all, all patriotic corporate bodies must as a matter of urgency stop patronizing Ghanaians because they now see us as enemies”, they said.

Another Nollywooder who doesn’t want his name in print points out that Ghanaians are becoming increasingly anti-Nigeria. “I have reasons to believe that Ghanainas are becoming increasingly anti-Nigerian. The other time they came up with a resolution that it is only one Nigerian movie that should be released in Ghana per week. We felt that they were trying to develop their market. Then when Globacom entered their market, they sent people out to vandalize their equipment and now we have to pay $5000.

This is crap and very unbecoming of Ghanaians”, he said.

The deteriorating relationship SBN learnt, has sent jitters down the spine of Ghanaians working in Nigeria among them Van Vicker, Nadia Bhuari, John Dumelo, Jackie Appiah and Majid Michael. The actors are against the move and many of them felt members of the guilds who reached the decision without their (actors) input are jealous and jobless. “If they are working, they won’t reach that kind of decision. They are jobless lots who are inspired by boredom to always stir the hornet’s nest unnecessarily” a Ghanaian actress told us.

When SBN spoke to Van Vicker, he said he was not in a position to talk. “My guy, I can’t talk on that o since I wasn’t there and I don’t have much information now. Moreover I’m not president of Ghana’s Actors Guild” he said.

Nadia Bhuari we learnt, might also be affected as she is presently the face of Devon Soap which is manufactured by Orange Drugs.

i reaallly dont like ghanaians.
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by EzeUche(m): 3:14am On Jul 08, 2010
I like Ghanaian women though. Nice and shapely bosoms! Good times in Accra. And the women are very nice. They know how to treat a man unlike loud Nigerian women.
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by Ikengawo: 3:17am On Jul 08, 2010
maybe nigerian women don't like you because you're not up to their standard?
like, poor or ugly or something.
i would imagine this being the reason you went to ghana looking for women.
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by EzeUche(m): 3:20am On Jul 08, 2010
Ikengawo:

maybe nigerian women don't like you because you're not up to their standard?
like, poor or ugly or something.
i would imagine this being the reason you went to ghana looking for women.

Ha! Oh really? My picture is testimony to my greatness.

It is a preference. U see, some people like myself have the ability to travel and meet other women. So how can I be poor? And ugly? Maybe you should look in the mirror.
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by Nobody: 3:34am On Jul 08, 2010
Ghana will suffer. I'm not a fan of Nigerian movies but I know Nigerian movie industry is 100 folds better than any in Africa not even South African movie industry can compete. Ghana is set to upset none but themselves. Isn't this how Ghana must go started? And everybody blamed Nigeria when infact Ghanaians started the anti Nigeria policies. They'll be shocked by the time Nigeria is done with them. Ghanaians are just mad Nigeria is too big to compete with. Third largest movie industry in the world and Ghana's somewhere in the universe,
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by Acidosis(m): 3:51am On Jul 08, 2010
There is one topic I posted recently "Globacom may leave Ghana". It's so sad to read about the frustrations of [b]Glo[/b]bacom  telecommunications within the few month of existence in Ghana, after so much destruction of the company's sign post, banners and restrictions by the Ghanian government, the company is on a debate whether to stay or leave the country.
Back to the topic. Nollywood has taken the right and also the best decision! The Ghanians are really biting the fingers that fed them, the same nollywood that feature those prost.itu.tes we now call good actresses just because of their indecent dressing some refers to as 'fashion', are now embarrasing them by putting our actors & actresses on 'partial' embargo.
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by Nobody: 3:54am On Jul 08, 2010
However, a source told us that Nollywood has already reached a decision which might finally put an end to the working relationship between Ghanaian and Nigerian actors. Nollywood has also resolved that every Ghanaian actor will pay $2,000 while producers will pay $7,000 and the resolution will be effective from July. AGN has also agreed to persuade all corporate bodies in Nigeria to stop employing Ghanaians . “Whether it is endorsement, invitation to event or anything at all, all patriotic corporate bodies must as a matter of urgency stop patronizing Ghanaians because they now see us as enemies”, they said.
Purrfect!

Anywaz, maybe this will help Nollywood in decision making, next time they want to produce crappy movies.
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by tpiah: 4:04am On Jul 08, 2010
if ghana doesnt want globalcom, then why not shop around for another country where they can do business?
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by tkb417(m): 6:57am On Jul 08, 2010
a yoruba adage goes like this

igberaga lo ma siwaju iparun

pride precedes destruction

let them continue banning everythn Nigeria, we shall see who will suffer at the end

rubbish people
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by Ibime(m): 7:00am On Jul 08, 2010
Why wont they ban Naija?

As my guy once said, it only takes influx of 10,000 Nigerian immigrants to ruin a nation! grin
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by kenny1st(m): 7:49am On Jul 08, 2010
Soon, i mean very soon Ghanian abi wetin dem dey call them self will regret all these. Let's just wait and see. i wonder why they are turning away vital resources that can quickly enhance their development and bring their various sectors to spot ligth, do they think their "gollywood" abi wetin dem call am can trive better than nigerians. Ok , i give that their movie industry just 2 years, it will totally be grounded, it's not a curse but a bitter truth for those who can analyse better like me.
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by na2day(m): 7:52am On Jul 08, 2010
GUYS STOP BLAMING GHANA! lets put our house in order, 9ja all over d world are now regarded worse than virus, it'll soon get to a level now that cotonu too will start raising hell against us! lets deal with all these useless politicians that has almost turn d country to a desert and effectively put an end to all these mass exodus.

1 Like

Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by bkbabe90(m): 9:23am On Jul 08, 2010
Why do Ghanians hate Nigerians? I was out, just tonite, with a German friend and she was telling me (once I told her my sisters were Nigerian) that in Germany most of her friends were Ghanians and they always warned her to "be careful of them Nigerians"; but she has never heard a Nigerian utter any kinda warning to her about Ghanians! Same thing used to happen to me in college, the Ghanians stayed talking shiyyt about the Nigerians to me. Then, when I walked ova to go chill with the Nigerians, they almost crapped their pants thinking I'd reveal their true feelings to the Nigerians. All I see tho is jealousy. And for real? I NEVER MET AN INTELLIGENT GHANIAN! To me they always seemed border-line retarded!

1 Like

Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by tkb417(m): 9:36am On Jul 08, 2010
bk/babe90:

Why do Ghanians hate Nigerians? I was out, just tonite, with a German friend and she was telling me (once I told her my sisters were Nigerian) that in Germany most of her friends were Ghanians and they always warned her to "be careful of them Nigerians"; but she has never heard a Nigerian utter any kinda warning to her about Ghanians! Same thing used to happen to me in college, the Ghanians stayed talking shiyyt about the Nigerians to me. Then, when I walked ova to go chill with the Nigerians, they almost crapped their pants thinking I'd reveal their true feelings to the Nigerians. All I see tho is jealousy. And for real? I NEVER MET AN INTELLIGENT GHANIAN! To me they always seemed border-line retarded!
i work in Lagos/Accra

as a matter of fact, they see us as tin gods.
I agree they'll be saying stuffs behind my back like wtf does he think he is; i strongly feel Ghanaians feel insure seeing Nigerians around them
they believe ure too smart for them hence they'll do anything to make life difficult for u

as a typical 9ja boi, i dont give a flying fck if they wanna levy us to even disembark from the plane; we 9jas no send dem

we are still their daddy
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by deor03(m): 10:02am On Jul 08, 2010
tkb417:

i work in Lagos/Accra

as a matter of fact, they see us as tin gods.
I agree they'll be saying stuffs behind my back like wtf does he think he is; i strongly feel Ghanaians feel insure seeing Nigerians around them
they believe ure too smart for them hence they'll do anything to make life difficult for u

as a typical 9ja boi, i dont give a flying fck if they wanna levy us to even disembark from the  plane; we 9jas no send dem

we are still their daddy

I notice that KOTOKA is one place in the world that Naijas  flaunt their passport with pride.  Ghanaian are "cry babies".

But why won't you, when you're welcomed by UBA, GTB, GLO etc and you have 5 planes on ground ( Arik, Aero, Virgin, Ghana Airways, Air Namibia)

If they want us to pay to DOMINATE them, we will pay.  No shaking !!!
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by 4tune1(m): 10:05am On Jul 08, 2010
My question, is there anything like this between Hollywood and Bollywood d 1st and 2nd in the world? See these ingrates that we are trying to bring up now trying to bite us. Very soon they start to ask Naijas for visa to enter their country.
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by bkbabe90(m): 10:05am On Jul 08, 2010
deor03:

Ghanaian are "cry babies".

Yep! They gotta be related to Ibos in the Inferiority-complex department! grin
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by philip0906(m): 10:19am On Jul 08, 2010
bk/babe90
Yep! They gotta be related to Ibos in the Inferiority-complex department!

u this bk of a retard ur posts r always silly and off point. . .what has dis comment got 2 do wiff d topic? abi u'r one of em . . .who didn't get paid after a lay? undecided
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by tkb417(m): 10:20am On Jul 08, 2010
deor03:

I notice that KOTOKA is one place in the world that Naijas  flaunt their passport with pride.  Ghanaian are "cry babies".

But why won't you, when you're welcomed by UBA, GTB, GLO etc and you have 5 planes on ground ( Arik, Aero, Virgin, Ghana Airways, Air Namibia)

If they want us to pay to DOMINATE them, we will pay.  No shaking !!!
i agree with ya
we can pay to be their daddy grin grin grin
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by bkbabe90(m): 1:49pm On Jul 08, 2010
philip0906:

u this bk of a retard your posts r always silly and off point. . .what has dis comment got 2 do wiff d topic? abi u'r one of em . . .who didn't get paid after a lay? undecided

U got a gun? No? Then ask ur boi too give u one, wrap ur finger around the triger and blow ur brains out. Cus I aint got no cookie to give ya!
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by KAYD007(m): 3:06pm On Jul 08, 2010
to settle this quarrel once and for all make we yan our presido to organise futubal match b/w ghana national team and our *super* eagle! d outcome shld determine who baba grin dis noise here don dey too much grin
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by RSA(m): 3:29pm On Jul 08, 2010
Nollywood,Gollywood whats that? a joke? What movies are these people making? Or is it those 7 hours useless drama taken by phone cameras?
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by tkb417(m): 3:53pm On Jul 08, 2010
RSA:

Nollywood,Gollywood whats that? a joke? What movies are these people making? Or is it those 7 hours useless drama taken by phone cameras?
yeah right

just the way ur music sound like uncoordinated noise

u guys learnt anythn from DBanj, 9ice, 2face and co yet?
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by RSA(m): 4:08pm On Jul 08, 2010
tkb417:

yeah right
just the way your music sound like uncoordinated noise

u guys learnt anythn from DBanj, 9ice, 2face and co yet?

Are we talking about South African music here? Because if you do then you have not listen to it grin So Dbanj sings? grin I thought e was a ragger/rapper or something but not a singer,and beside your musicians all sound alike.I have no problem with your musicians,they are not up there but they're trying and there is some improvement there and there.

But your Nollyhood is just a crap,they're not doing real movies,they should not be called movies.You cannot put any of your home video next to, say Sarafina,Tsotsi or worse any of Leon Shusters Movies.Stop fooling youself omo.
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by ezeagu(m): 4:22pm On Jul 08, 2010
Why 'Ghollywood'. . . ? Are people unaware of something called a Golliwog? As if 'Nollywood' wasn't bad enough.

[img]http://www.topnews.in/files/golliwog-doll.jpg[/img]
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by gozzilla(m): 4:26pm On Jul 08, 2010
I personally don''t dig nigerian film. But what is all the argument about. This entertainment industry that you deride is the livelihood of some. It has brought fame to others. For others it has kept them in the limelight. I don''t get it. Do you realise bolly wood never tries to be hollywood. You know why? Entertainment industry has a simply defination if it sells don''t change the formula.
So will nigerian films get better? Maybe when they sense it will pay them well to get better, but until that time put the telly off when you see one. If that one no do you smash the telly. Chikenna
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by tkb417(m): 4:31pm On Jul 08, 2010
RSA:

Are we talking about South African music here? Because if you do then you have not listen to it grin So Dbanj sings? grin I thought e was a ragger/rapper or something but not a singer,and beside your musicians all sound alike.I have no problem with your musicians,they are not up there but they're trying and there is some improvement there and there.

But your Nollyhood is just a crap,they're not doing real movies,they should not be called movies.You cannot put any of your home video next to, say Sarafina,Tsotsi or worse any of Leon Shusters Movies.Stop fooling youself omo.
Nollywood is crap

our musicians are better than ur musicians

RSA vs Nigeria in music?
hell no

Seal, Shade Adu, Nas grin grin, Fela are Nigerians

who do u have? Chaka chaka and Angelique Kidjo

no contest grin grin
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by RSA(m): 4:44pm On Jul 08, 2010
tkb417:

Nollywood is crap

our musicians are better than your musicians

RSA vs Nigeria in music?
hell no

no contest grin grin

Ok those are some of my favourate musos,other than Fela I didn't know they are Naijas.Ok I am giving you that one.But don't tell me about Dbanj,cause he is not a musician,there is no talent there.
We have Jazz,Hugh Masekela,Grammy winners Black Mambazo,Soweto Gospel Choir and many other musicians who you've never heard but have voices that even bring God to tears grin

Ok I have no issues with your musos,but your home videos still sucks.Don't call it movies give it some other names,yes find a name in pidgin,it will make lot of sense.
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by tkb417(m): 4:53pm On Jul 08, 2010
Ok I have no issues with your musos,but your home videos still sucks.Don't call it movies give it some other names,yes find a name in pidgin,it will make lot of sense
hehehehe
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by oderemo(m): 5:00pm On Jul 08, 2010
Ok I have no issues with your musos,but your home videos still sucks.Don't call it movies give it some other names,yes find a name in pidgin,it will make lot of sense.

dis guy you dey throw stone.
egungun{masquerade} be careful oh.
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by Agibecky: 6:12pm On Jul 08, 2010
Is this a political problem or a professional problem?
Re: "ghollywood" And Nollywood Go To War by ezeagu(m): 6:54pm On Jul 08, 2010
tkb417:

Nollywood is crap

our musicians are better than your musicians

RSA vs Nigeria in music?
hell no

no contest grin grin

Nas is not Nigerian. . . . . well directly.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbos Claim to be Oyo State indigenes / Tanker Explodes On Kano Bridge, Halts Inter-State Transportation / Imo State Govt Releases List Of Road Contractors, Payments & Their Phone Numbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.