Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,531 members, 7,801,478 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:50 PM

Who Is Your Best Novelist? - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Who Is Your Best Novelist? (15357 Views)

Meet Flora Nwapa, Africa`s First Woman Novelist And First Novel Publisher / Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist / Amos Tutuola, The Extra Ordinary Novelist Of Yoruba Phantasmagoria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by runsaway: 8:57pm On Aug 14, 2007
spikedcylinder:

I have this book, its the typical African folklore, can't say I am all that impressed.

exactly. it is so good it became THE FOLKLORE
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by yomceluv(f): 11:31am On Aug 15, 2007
wow, my best novelist is danielle steel. she is awesome,u need to read her books,also nora roberts is very good.
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by zukkie4eva(f): 12:46pm On Aug 17, 2007
francine rivers is it for me, she 's simply phenomenal.
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by Vitastraka(m): 5:07pm On Aug 17, 2007
One day you people will weep when you realize you were actually discussing with Vitastraka on this board and refused to recognize him

When the world starts broadcasting my collected works, when I start giving CNN interviews, what will you people say?

It will be too late to beg for my forgiveness then,

I ask of you now, what do you think of the Collected Masterpieces of Vitastraka
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by teeroy(m): 5:16pm On Aug 22, 2007
TOM CLANCY.always
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by BASETSANA(f): 2:28pm On Aug 24, 2007
Virginia Andrews
Danielle Steel
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by echelon(m): 3:46am On Aug 28, 2007
Dan Brown, probably.
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by loveoge(f): 3:15pm On Aug 28, 2007
Sidney Sheldon. Would miss him horribly.
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by BABEELOVE(f): 6:40am On Aug 29, 2007
Jeffrey Archer!!! kiss

Or

John Jakes!!!!! cool
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 29, 2007
Thomas Wolfe. . . .

or D.O. Fagunwa (you have to read him in Yoruba though. that lone Soyinka translation is nothing to write home about ).
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by spikedcylinder: 11:50pm On Aug 30, 2007
Anyone like Harold Robins? The way the guy writes erotica ehn. . . .  shocked tongue grin embarassed
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by Nobody: 12:57am On Aug 31, 2007
that guy is in a class by himself. just too good
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by spikedcylinder: 7:07am On Aug 31, 2007
Who? Harold?
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 31, 2007
yes o. Harold Robbins.

there's a lot of graphic sexual stuff in his books but what really gets me is the ease with which he creates characters from all levels of the social stratum. All his characters are usually well rounded and believable, whether they are dirt-poor farmers, derelicts or Wall street billionaires. The guy is a master.
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by spikedcylinder: 8:31pm On Aug 31, 2007
Yea, I agree with you. He's real good though I particularly like his books for the sexual pervesiveness of it. grin
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by Vitastraka(m): 4:32am On Sep 01, 2007
I give up on you people reading my books
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 01, 2007
where are your books? you've been raving and ranting all over this forum about your stuff, be a man and show us what you can do. or remain silent forever.
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by Vitastraka(m): 6:16pm On Sep 02, 2007
@ziddy

YOU!

YOU have struck me to the bone! Do not attack a man over his dreams, how can yo be so cruel? YOU and SMC are trying to finish me,

I have failed to stand up to this open challenge, and I hereby agree to be silenced
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Sep 02, 2007
guy you need a shrink
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by spikedcylinder: 9:54am On Sep 03, 2007
Why not crawl back into the hole you came from vitastraka?
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by Shaunscot(m): 10:01am On Sep 03, 2007
Why una dey attack Vitastraka like this now?
VItas no worry.God dey ur side.
U can start with stories like Eze goes to school.
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by Vitastraka(m): 6:02pm On Sep 04, 2007
@SpikedLiquor

Did I crawl into your hole
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by SMC(f): 6:58pm On Sep 04, 2007
Vitastraka:

@ziddy

YOU!

YOU have struck me to the bone! Do not attack a man over his dreams, how can yo be so cruel? YOU and SMC are trying to finish me,
I have failed to stand up to this open challenge, and I hereby agree to be silenced

No one is trying to finish you. You can refer any of us to your written works, post some online or here on this forum. In the absence of anything, can you please shut the Zap. up (and I still believe you are that other bloke that's why you have nothing to show as your literary work under this ID). Please forever hold your peace and stop giving people a headache with your jabbering.
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by donjohano(m): 8:49pm On Sep 04, 2007
Vitastraka,

I love your work! Its awesome! Especially your latest novel, "The Nairaland Thread" where, in the form of an internet chat site for Nigerians, you construct an entire free-form narrative composed from a miscellany of different voices talking about their favourite novelists. I also admire the way you interpolate yourself into the list of characters. Such irony.

Can't wait till the end of this groundbreaking work. Of course, I am also one of your characters - incredible imagination!
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by chikasmile: 1:31am On Sep 05, 2007
i luv ADICHIE CHIMAMANDA 4 her book HALF OF A YELOW SUN and PURPLE HIBICUS
and also CHINUA ACHEBE 4 his books ANTHILLS OF THE SAVANNA and THINGS Fall apart.
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by donjohano(m): 9:15pm On Sep 05, 2007
Anthills of the Savannah is superb. I'm glad to see some real literature mentioned on this thread as well as the other stuff. Hell, its good to see people taking out time to read any books so I'm not going to be a literary snob. Keep reading y'all! My dad used to buy me comics when I was a kid because he knew that this would encourage me to read books. Wise man. Besides, I also like Grisham and Ludlum as well as Dostoyevsky. Its all good.

I have a learning curve to climb where African literature is concerned. I've read and enjoyed Achebe, Ngugi (very recently), Frantz Fanon. But I need to read recent authors like our own Chimammanda. Who else? Tell me!
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by Vitastraka(m): 10:02pm On Sep 05, 2007
@SMC engage your brain before opening your mouth,

Drool

---------------------
In the doctor's mind the quavering hand roused images of a broken soul stooped by pain
"Madam can you write you name"
More quavering, it appeared as if the more she tried to steady the pen on the sheet, the more her flesh worked to defeat her. At last she gave in releasing the pen to the doctor as the remaining embers of hope fled her desperate hand.

"Madam let me help you" the doctor said drawing the sheet to his end of the table "what is your name"?

"S M C" she replied with a vacant stare "S M C"

----------------------------
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by spikedcylinder: 10:07pm On Sep 05, 2007
Vitastraka:

@SpikedLiquor

Did I crawl into your hole

You are not nearly as "big" enough. tongue
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by Nobody: 1:09am On Sep 06, 2007
Vitastraka:

Drool

---------------------
In the doctor's mind the quavering hand roused images of a broken soul stooped by pain
More quavering, it appeared as if the more she tried to steady the pen on the sheet, the more her flesh worked to defeat her. At last she gave in releasing the pen to the doctor as the remaining embers of hope fled her desperate hand.

"Madam let me help you" the doctor said drawing the sheet to his end of the table "what is your name"?

----------------------------

i think there might be a considerable measure of creative promise in you afterall, assuming that was original and you did it off-the-cuff.

more lyrics, less talk,   less whining about the collected masterpieces of vitastraka wink
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by SMC(f): 6:44pm On Sep 07, 2007
Vitastraka:

Drool

---------------------

You'd do best to take your own advice.

Was your sorry short sketch written because I hit the nail on the head or was my point too close for comfort?

By the way, why are you drooling? undecided
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by sweeti14(f): 12:07pm On Sep 15, 2007
Enid blyton and francine rivers.
Re: Who Is Your Best Novelist? by spikedcylinder: 9:01pm On Sep 18, 2007
I dont think I mentioned Paulo Coehlo yet. I love his books! I particularly like his Eleven Minutes which is about a prostitute who lived happily ever after. Anyone read any of his books?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

...Puns to get your brain juices flowing........(photos) / A Letter To My Son's Teacher / Free Download Of The 2nd Issue Of Writertain Creatives Magazine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.