Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,111 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:54 AM

10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java (76988 Views)

Vb.net Is Tryin To Frustrate My Programming Desire. Pls Help / How Much Vb.net Is Needed To Be Sucessful? / Is C# Better Than C/C++? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 11:09pm On Nov 10, 2009
I think people develop a kind of relationship with a tool after a few years of using it. The brain becomes wired into thinking it is the only way of doing things and change becomes difficult.

Microsoft is making top dollar because of this. Microsoft no longer control all the raw technical ability. there is innovation everywhere but gradually these are getting into the mainstream

Take the Mac for instance this is an OS light years ahead of MS Windows yet it is not mainstream ( although apple is partly to blame for this)
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by logica(m): 8:43am On Nov 11, 2009
candylips:

@Logica

I know you are an IPhone guy. Do you know the best book on IPhone app development?  Am just about getting started learning Objective-C and can't seem to find any Objective C book with a decent review

I have been using Apple's online manuals and they are crap 
No I don't have any books. I rely on what ever I can glean from the Internet. BTW, don't you think Apple are making similar mistakes they made with the Mac with the way they are handling the iPhone? As far as development goes, I find the Android platform even more interesting.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 11:13am On Nov 11, 2009
logica:

No I don't have any books. I rely on what ever I can glean from the Internet. BTW, don't you think Apple are making similar mistakes they made with the Mac with the way they are handling the iPhone? As far as development goes, I find the Android platform even more interesting.

hmm i actually think the app store idea is a revolutionary idea that pries control of mobile device apps from the big-bad telcom giants and puts it in the hands of average consumers and developers — where it belongs.

I like Andriod obviously as a java guy. And i read somewhere that Andriod have had to turn of a lot of features at the kernel level in other not to infringe on Apple's patents on touch-screen technology
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by logica(m): 11:21am On Nov 11, 2009
Yeah, App Store was good. Now everybody and their mama are coming up with their own versions. But it seems the iPhone innovations has been piggy-backing off the work done by the haxxers (Dev Team and friends), after all what can qualify as the first iPhone application store came up as Installer. With Android, I don't get that part about infringing on the touch-screen technology by Apple. It shares the same kernel as iPhone OS (BSD), therefore if somehow those features are already in the kernel it's none of Apple's biz.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 11:43am On Nov 11, 2009
Lol

I think it is a feature called Multi-touch. I think big bad Apple somehow managed to get a patent on its use on a mobile phone

But you are right though. Andriod is pretty cool i might start playing with it very soon.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by logica(m): 11:47am On Nov 11, 2009
OK. Maybe they got a patent on mobile phones, but they didn't even invent it! I suppose they bought it somehow. Yeah it's called multi-touch (a feature they partly simulate on the Mac as well using the "pinch" mouse gesture).
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 12:45pm On Nov 11, 2009
Patents are evil . In as much as i love apple and their products i think they have the tendency to shoot themselves on the foot many times. Stevie has a damn good eye for engineering but i think he doesn't have a killer business instinct like Mr windows
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by Kobojunkie: 12:55pm On Nov 11, 2009
candylips:

I think people develop a kind of relationship with a tool after a few years of using it. The brain becomes wired into thinking it is the only way of doing things and change becomes difficult.

Microsoft is making top dollar because of this. Microsoft no longer control all the raw technical ability. there is innovation everywhere but gradually these are getting into the mainstream

Take the Mac for instance this is an OS light years ahead of MS Windows yet it is not mainstream ( although apple is partly to blame for this)

I don't think it is that simple. I can't even think of a single tool I would give that "honor" to. People/Companies like tools they can RELY on and if,year after year, the tool delivers, then I see no problem with that at all. I have watched over the past decade microsoft office, for instance, gain market share over such competitors as IBM's Lotus products, and open source tools such as staroffice. Not that you can't get the job done with the IBM tools, corel or star office, but ease of use has been a big seller for the microsoft product line, something I find lacking in most of the other suites.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 1:39pm On Nov 11, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I don't think it is that simple. I can't even think of a single tool I would give that "honor" to. People/Companies like  tools they can RELY on and if,year after year, the tool delivers, then I see no problem with that at all.  I have watched over the past decade microsoft office, for instance, gain market share over such competitors as IBM's Lotus products, and open source tools such as staroffice. Not that you can't get the job done with the IBM tools, corel or star office, but ease of use has been a big seller for the microsoft product line, something I find lacking in most of the other suites. 

Easy of use is very relative based on your perception of what it is

Have you tried Open office. Virtually the same easy of use as MS Office but free

Have you tried a Mac vs any Windows version

Have you tried configuring a network in Windows Server vs doing the same in Mac OS X
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by Beaf: 5:56pm On Nov 11, 2009
candylips:

You need to understand that there's some sort of background love affair between Apple and MS. MS approached Apple for cooperation in their early days and MS also bailed Apple out of bankruptcy a few years ago. Those guy's know what they are doing with their fake rivalry.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by DETPROF: 6:17pm On Nov 11, 2009
i buy your opinion
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by Kobojunkie: 7:14pm On Nov 11, 2009
candylips:

Easy of use is very relative based on your perception of what it is
That is the point.
candylips:

Have you tried Open office. Virtually the same easy of use as MS Office but free

Well, I tried it a couple of years ago and quite. However, StarOffice was also free when I started with it. It was good but failed in ease of use/usability for me. Even though it was free, I waited each day to get back to school to use Corel to finish up my work.

candylips:

Have you tried a Mac vs any Windows version
I have tried a Mac. Took a couple of graphics intensive courses with Macs and even worked on Mac machines during my days as a Research Assistant. The machines seemed to do well in those settings but failed in the area of speed for me.
I even have a friend/mentor who loves his mac book to death but would build a powerful windows machine on the side for all his work and gaming needs.

candylips:

Have you tried configuring a network in Windows Server vs doing the same in Mac OS X
I have configured a network in Windows Server and had no problem doing that. I have a book that helps me do that easy. Have not done it with Mac OS X but I don’t see why I would want to when I am satisfied with what I have now.

Now, if you guage my responses there, what do you think? That change will be difficult for me should I come across another tool out there that may be better than what I am used to? I don’t think so. The first part rings partly true but I believe when it comes to IT people expect to CHANGE, only they want to change to something BETTER than what they have, not something that offers them less or just the same as something new.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 7:10am On Nov 12, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Well, I tried it a couple of years ago and quite. However, StarOffice was also free when I started with it. It was good but failed in ease of use/usability for me. Even though it was free, I waited each day to get back to school to use Corel to finish up my work.

You need to try the latest version of Open office.

Kobojunkie:

I have tried a Mac. Took a couple of graphics intensive courses with Macs and even worked on Mac machines during my days as a Research Assistant. The machines seemed to do well in those settings but failed in the area of speed for me.

How long ago was this? I know the power PC wasn't really that fast. But the new Intel based Mac systems are super fast.
A simple test is to try to boot a Mac and a Windows PC and see which one comes up first. Another test you can do is to try search for something in your pc and see which one gives you results faster

Kobojunkie:

I even have a friend/mentor who loves his mac book to death but would build a powerful windows machine on the side for all his work and gaming needs.

I get your point as par gaming. Macs are not really gaming machines because they can't be built to a specification but this is not really to the argument about ease of use

Kobojunkie:

I have configured a network in Windows Server and had no problem doing that. I have a book that helps me do that easy. Have not done it with Mac OS X but I don’t see why I would want to when I am satisfied with what I have now.

Fine but you needed a book to be able to configure it right. You needed to know what DHCP , IP address and all that stuff is to be able to successfully implement the network and am pretty sure you as an IT guy you wouldn't mind going through all that pain because you are used to it.

How about if i flipped the coin and told you that you don't need to go through all that stress to configure a simple network. You just do a few clicks follow a wizard and bam you have your shining new network configured for you without you having to by a good or learn any technical jargon. Something probably a dumb PA to the CEO of a company

Kobojunkie:

Now, if you guage my responses there, what do you think? That change will be difficult for me should I come across another tool out there that may be better than what I am used to? I don’t think so. The first part rings partly true but I believe when it comes to IT people expect to CHANGE, only they want to change to something BETTER than what they have, not something that offers them less or just the same as something new.

Very True. The entry barrier to new products are usually very high when there exist a dominant functional product. To break this dominance simple economics will tell you to do something radically different otherwise you will be driven out of business. But even if you have the best product since slice bread It is very difficult initially to get people to change their old habits because they become emotionally attached to a particular way of doing things. So even if your product proposes a better more efficient way people will initially be reluctant to change
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 7:11am On Nov 12, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Kobojunkie:

How long ago was this? I know the power PC wasn't really that fast. But the new Intel based Mac systems are super fast.
A simple test is to try to boot a Mac and a Windows PC and see which one comes up first. Another test you can do is to try search for something in your pc and see which one gives you results faster

Kobojunkie:

I get your point as par gaming. Macs are not really gaming machines because they can't be built to a specification

Kobojunkie:

Fine but you needed a book to be able to configure it right. You needed to know what DHCP , IP address and all that stuff is to be able to successfully implement the network and am pretty sure you as an IT guy you wouldn't mind going through all that pain because you are used to it.

How about if i flipped the coin and told you that you don't need to go through all that stress to configure a simple network. You just do a few clicks follow a wizard and bam you have your shining new network configured for you without you having to by a good or learn any technical jargon. Something probably a dumb PA to the CEO of a company

Kobojunkie:

Very True. The entry barrier to new products are usually very high when there exist a dominant functional product. To break this dominance simple economics will tell you to do something radically different otherwise you will be driven out of business. But even if you have the best product since slice bread It is very difficult initially to get people to change their old habits because they become emotionally attached to a particular way of doing things. So even if your product proposes a better more efficient way people will initially be reluctant to change
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 7:14am On Nov 12, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Kobojunkie:

Kobojunkie:

I get your point as par gaming. Macs are not really gaming machines because they can't be built to a specification

Kobojunkie:

How about if i flipped the coin and told you that you don't need to go through all that stress to configure a simple network. You just do a few clicks follow a wizard and bam you have your shining new network configured for you without you having to learn any technical jargon. Something probably a dumb PA to the CEO of a company could do

Kobojunkie:

Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by logica(m): 8:16am On Nov 12, 2009
@Candylips,

If the iPhone featuring a stripped down version of the OS X (iPhone OS) can become a gaming platform competing with the PSP (and even considered more powerful), I don't think the OS X could have faired any worse.

BTW, I received an advert on this book in my box:
The Professional Programmer's Deitel® Guide to iPhone App Development Using iPhone SDK 3.x, Xcode®, Objective-C® and Cocoa®
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 11:27am On Nov 12, 2009
@logica

Thanks the book looks like a new book. Can't seem to find any reviews yet for it
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 11:33am On Nov 12, 2009
@Kobo

How about if i flipped the coin and told you that you don't need to go through all that stress to configure a simple network. In a few clicks using a wizard and bam you have your shiny new network configured for you without you having to learn any technical jargon. Something probably a dumb PA to the CEO of a company could do

Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by logica(m): 11:49am On Nov 12, 2009
candylips:

@logica

Thanks the book looks like a new book. Can't seem to find any reviews yet for it

He he, no reviews because not a whole lot of people have shifted to coding for the iPhone. Those who have been coding for the iPhone typically already have much knowledge of Xcode, Objective-C and Cocoa. So you are going to have to be a guinea-pig. You may be the first to put up a review of the book if you purchase it.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 11:59am On Nov 12, 2009
@Kobo

How about if i flipped the coin and told you that you don't need to go through all that stress to configure a simple network. In a few clicks using a wizard and bam you have your shiny new network configured for you without you having to learn any technical jargon. Something probably a dumb PA to the CEO of a company could do

Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 1:31pm On Nov 12, 2009
@Kobo

Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 1:34pm On Nov 12, 2009
logica:

He he, no reviews because not a whole lot of people have shifted to coding for the iPhone. Those who have been coding for the iPhone typically already have much knowledge of Xcode, Objective-C and Cocoa. So you are going to have to be a guinea-pig. You may be the first to put up a review of the book if you purchase it.

Men that doesn't look too good o. X-code is one weird looking IDE am not finding it intuitive at all.

From what i have been reading from Apple's Manual Objective-C Syntax is not that different from C/C++ although more object oriented.

That Cocoa programming is an alien concept to me. Am still tryin to figure it out
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by Kobojunkie: 6:23pm On Nov 12, 2009
candylips:

No, I did not need to know all that because I already know a lot fo those things as I do a lot of network programming and so am required to know even those and more to get my job done. I needed a book because I have this sleek small book that outlines the simple steps that I use to make sure I am doing it right.

There are definitely some nice gui's out there to do most of the grunt work for me, but some of those tools, especially the ones that I love cost money. I ran into an opensource network configuration tool some time ago but still in build mode. I am waiting to get it when the tool is ready for use. But it always pays to know how to manually configure these things -- I mean how can I say I am an expert if I also depend on the same tools novices out there would to get the job done? grin
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by Kobojunkie: 6:26pm On Nov 12, 2009
candylips:

No, knowledge of network programming lingo is a requirement for me as I do a bit of network programming so I build my own guis as well to help me on assignments but I find it easier to configure using methods I am already used to.
There are definitely some nice gui's out there to do most of the grunt work for me, but some of those tools, especially the ones that I love cost money. I ran into an opensource network configuration tool some time ago but still in build mode. I am waiting to get it when the tool is ready for use. But it always pays to know how to manually configure these things -- I mean how can I say I am an expert if I also depend on the same tools novices out there would to get the job done? grin
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 4:12pm On Nov 13, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I mean how can I say I am an expert if I also depend on the same tools novices out there would to get the job done? grin

Man must whack naw wink
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by IG: 11:46am On Nov 14, 2009
Talking about Iphone apps. .Net developers can write programs for the iPhone using monotouch. They don't need to learn objective-c. These types of .Net advantage is what this thread is all about.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by logica(m): 1:00pm On Nov 14, 2009
Good piece of info IG.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by Kobojunkie: 7:51pm On Nov 14, 2009
IG:

Talking about Iphone apps. .Net developers can write programs for the iPhone using monotouch. They don't need to learn objective-c. These types of .Net advantage is what this thread is all about.

That is cool beans!
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 1:29am On Nov 15, 2009
IG:

thats cool. thanks for that info
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by IG: 11:54am On Nov 15, 2009
About licencing, if you love .net and hate Microsoft try using Mono. We've talked about it in this thread. It's open source and cross platform (windows, Linux, Mac etc). Some parts of the gnome desktop in Linux are now written in C# using mono. The runtime comes pre-installed in some distributions like ubuntu.

I still don't like Ms and have stopped using windows for some time now but I think it's time to outgrow hating Ms because we think it's cool to.

Go get Mono at www.mono-project.com
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by candylips(m): 11:26am On Nov 17, 2009
IG:

Personal edition of monotouch will cost me $399

I think it will be cheaper for me to learn objective-c and use the free xcode IDE that comes with my MAC
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by logica(m): 12:07pm On Nov 17, 2009
candylips:

Personal edition of monotouch will cost me $399

I think it will be cheaper for me to learn objective-c and use the free xcode IDE that comes with my MAC
LOL!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually / Dear Programmer In Nigeria: How Much Is Your Salary? / Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.