Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:00 AM

Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt (4865 Views)

Pius Odubu Escapes Assassination (Edo Deputy Governor) - Photo / Bamanga Tukur Escapes Assassination - The Nation / Assassination Attempt On Ekweremadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by Beaf: 3:15am On Jul 12, 2010
[size=14pt]Emir of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt[/size]
•Suspects arrested •Alao-Akala wants to kill me, Alaafin alleges
From Ibrahim Shuaibu in Kano and Zachaeus Somorin in Lagos, 07.12.2010

But for providence, the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero, would have been killed over the weekend.

The traditional ruler escaped assassination last Friday by a lone gunman who attempted to kill him during the Muslim Juma’at prayer in Kano.

The suspect, 19 year-old Usman Abubakar, who lives in the Doraji Quarters in Kano Metropolis, was however, apprehended by the Police before carrying out the act.

Also arrested is one Alhaji Abubakar Batakaye who allegedly asked Abubakar to carry out the act.
Abubakar told THISDAY at the Kano Police Command headquarters yesterday that he was sent by a Mallam (marabout) with a specific instruction to kill the emir.

“I arrived the mosque as early as 9 am that day. I was sent to the place of worship by a 65 year-old Mallam Abubakar Batakaye, a marabout with a specific instruction to kill the emir,” he told the newspaper.
He said Batakaye allegedly asked him to recite one of the verses in the Holy Quran, Qurisiyu, 12,000 times before the congregational prayers to ensure the success of the deadly assignment.

Abubakar also stated that the marabout gave him a small amulet to conceal inside his mouth in order for him to garner courage in executing the task and to mysteriously disappear after.
He said: “I regret this attempt to kill the emir; I seek for his forgiveness and pardon. I am under the influence of the mallam who directed me to commit this ugly act.

“I was influenced by the mallam who told me to commit the act. For over ten years, I have been an ally of the mallam and his order or directive for me is like a blessing.”
Spokesman of Kano Police Command, SP Baba Mohammed Azare, confirmed the story and the arrest of the duo, saying “the state commissioner of police has ordered immediate investigation of the matter and the investigating team will be led by the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Mr. Lawal Tanko.

Also speaking with THISDAY, Batakaye denied ordering Abubakar to engage in the Emir’s murder.
“I have been attending that particular mosque for more 20 years without failing; I have a place reserved for me inside the mosque. I cannot think of attacking a monarch because our religion teaches us to regard them as the father of all,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi 111, has alleged that Oyo State Governor Adebayo Alao-Akala is planning to kill him.

The paramount ruler in a petition to President Goodluck Jonathan and the Inspector-General of Police alleged that the governor in collaboration with a prominent businessman in the ancient city of Oyo and a commander of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in the state hatched the plot to kill him in his palace.
He, however, said the plot failed because the collaborating senior police officer buckled at the last minute and reported the plot to him.

But reacting to the development, the governor denied the allegation, saying it should be discountenanced.
The governor’s Special Adviser, Media and Publicity Dotun Oyelade said: “Governor Akala discountenanced the so-called allegation as not only unfounded but a cooked up story much in line with the serial misinformation that the opposition has always engaged in where there is no motive or serious disagreement, it is spurious to concoct this kind of story.

Alaafin remains the father of the governor from whom he draws profound wisdom.”
Police sources confirmed Alaafin’s petition to THISDAY, saying the Inspector-General of Police Ogbonna Onovo has ordered a high-level investigation into the alleged murder plot.

According to THISDAY checks, the directive to investigate the plot was complied with at the weekend as a team of investigators drawn from the cream of the intelligence community swung into action, visiting the SARS in Oyo and interrogating officers implicated by the petition.

In his petition, the monarch gave details of the alleged plot, claiming the governor and a businessman conspired with the senior police officer based in the town to invade his palace under the guise of seeking the arrest of suspects in the murder of the late Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Oyo, Alhaji Azeez Adegbile, on April 4 this year.
He further alleged that the plan was to have him and other palace residents shot in the melee that was to ensue during the invasion.

Alaafin alleged that the senior SARS officer was recruited into the plot by the businessman, who provided him with logistics for the operation, including a brand new Toyota Hilux Jeep and N2million cash reward.
The officer, the monarch alleged, initially declined to participate in the plot but agreed to play along when the governor came into the picture and offered to raise the cash reward to N10million.

Oba Adeyemi stated that rather than carry out the plot, the police officer reported the murder plot to him, and that after his (the monarch’s) personal investigation showed that the plot was real, he decided to write the petition to the President.
The monarch further stated that when the plotters found that their plan had leaked to him and eventually failed, they enlisted the intervention of some prominent South-west traditional rulers and leaders of thought to pacify him.

The paramount ruler said that much as he respected his colleagues that sought to intervene, he could not accede to their overture because of the grave implication of the plot.
Oba Adeyemi, therefore, called on the President to investigate the murder plot and ensure that the plotters are brought to book.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=178077
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by Beaf: 3:15am On Jul 12, 2010
Failed state. embarassed
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by Osama10(m): 3:28am On Jul 12, 2010
Really a failed one. sad
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by koruji(m): 4:56am On Jul 12, 2010
Oba Adeyemi stated that rather than carry out the plot, [size=14pt]the police officer reported the murder plot to him[/size], and that after his (the monarch’s) personal investigation showed that the plot was real, he decided to write the petition to the President.
The monarch further stated that when the plotters found that their plan had leaked to him and eventually failed, they enlisted the intervention of some prominent South-west traditional rulers and leaders of thought to pacify him.

Something stinks in this story. There are two possibilities:
1. The allegation is false.
2. We have a police farce and not police force. If the SARS commander knew his left from his right, all this should have come out when police investigators handcuff both the businessman and the governor!
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by EzeUche(m): 4:59am On Jul 12, 2010
Is this a sign that many Muslim youth in the North are getting tired of these Northern elite who hold so much power in the region?

If it is, then I think there is going to be an uprising in the North that will throw away the yoke of servitude.
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by Beaf: 12:16pm On Jul 12, 2010
EzeUche:

Is this a sign that many Muslim youth in the North are getting tired of these Northern elite who hold so much power in the region?

If it is, then I think there is going to be an uprising in the North that will throw away the yoke of servitude.

It isn't any such sign. All I can see are the signs of a failed state; marabouts controlling kids and getting them to murder and allegations of attempted murder against a sitting governor (in connivance with the police) to the President. Every day, there are tales of religious massacres, while our "leaders" visit various shrines and fight in public. Failed state.
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by candylips(m): 12:24pm On Jul 12, 2010
Islam undecided
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by nopuqeater: 12:48pm On Jul 12, 2010
^^^Where is Islam in Alafin's issue against governor Akala? As long as any of the parties or all of the parties is/are muslims, it must be Islam? if this is the case, then the Civil war was "Christianity". About the world wars? It must be christanity that was repsonsible for the wars.
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by TMemos: 1:11pm On Jul 12, 2010
Apart from the sensation in this story, the Police should also direct their searchlight on all those eyeing the throne of the Emir, i.e. Emirs-in-waiting or others who they think may have a reason to kill him. Or what does the so-called marabout stand to gain from the death of the Emir? Could he be acting on someone's instruction as well?
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by anitabest(f): 1:26pm On Jul 12, 2010
oooo our Emir here in kano. God go punish that bastard for me, the idolt want to cause wahala here now.
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by oluagness(m): 1:57pm On Jul 12, 2010
Thank God the useless people did not succeed in exterminating emir's life, the remaining Yorubas and Igbos would have paid for it.
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by bigfather(m): 1:59pm On Jul 12, 2010
oluagness:

Thank God the useless people did not succeed in exterminating emir's life, the remaining Yorubas and Igbos would have paid for it.

I think this is just another attempt to cause another politically motivated religious fracas, If the Emir had been killed !
For those who do not want peace to reign in Nigeria,May God strike them dead one by one. angry
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by dcadr(m): 2:02pm On Jul 12, 2010
The people are tired of  being held in bondage.
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 12, 2010
so emir of kano no wan die. . . grin
politicians beware!
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 12, 2010
EzeUche:

I dont think the youths are tired of the Emir.this is just another attempt to cause ethnic/religion war in the north and the next breaking news you would here is reprisal attack and the death of southerners and christains in retaliation.we can only thank God he was not killed.
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by benabbey(m): 2:47pm On Jul 12, 2010
I sympathized with the Emir. May the good Lord keep and protect him from all his enemies within and without. For those insinuating that younger generation of Hausa Fulani want to revolt, they should perish that thought. When people are bound by religious chain. It is a difficult chain to break. My only fear is that the same tool of religious bigotry that has killed, maim people like Akaluka inside prison for tearing Holy Qua-ran and so many innocent people killed in the name of Allah is being turned to fight the Emir the God custodian of the religion.

When you consider how hypocritical this Northern leader are, you wonder why all their citizen follow them like fools. Why their children are studying in Burkham palace with Prince Charles, Princess Diana the masses are told never to send their children to bature school. But Islamic and Koranic school. Why there is nothing bad in this you begin to wonder while Egyptian Muslim, Pakistani Moslem's Saudi Arabia Muslim send their children to good school to balance western education with Islamic and religious study. Our own are using religion which is the opium of the masses to suppress people
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by Fhemmmy: 2:50pm On Jul 12, 2010
Na wa oh.
Why would he wanna kill an Emir? i think all these killing really need to stop, and the govt needs to do something before Nigeria is Murdered completely
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by homerac7: 3:50pm On Jul 12, 2010
d chiken of violence is comin home to roost. d northerners may have sowed wind of religious violence for years, d whirlwind of chaos may just be gatherin momentum for their reward. hope it isn't another afghanistan, pakistan, iraq, syria, somalia or wherever in d makin. but if it starts, let them blame no one, they fathered, nursed, inductrinated and armed their nemeses. what goes around may be comin around. if it starts, there is more dan enuf army of almanjiris to effectvely execute d anarchy; condusive social class polarity to actualize it; ineffective security system to contain it; and worst, badly programmed thought pattern to reject reasons.

again, if it starts, d north shld never blame others bt themselves. it's only a matter of time, it hs happened in other places, so it shall come. they broke d ground, sowed d seeds, and watered it with blood of many innocents, d time of reaping can only come. i am not a prophet of doom, it is only a logical thought a cant disprove.

sorrow is come to u, God help we all. Amen
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by legba1(m): 4:14pm On Jul 12, 2010
my people says "it is he that has eaten GBI that will die GBI".both the ALAAFIN and the EMIR had eaten GBI and if they die GBI nothing do them.
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by ezeagu(m): 4:16pm On Jul 12, 2010
Some forces want to see the US prediction come to being. . . . .  lipsrsealed
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by Acidosis(m): 4:51pm On Jul 12, 2010
Beaf:

[size=14p
He said Batakaye allegedly asked him to recite one of the verses in the Holy Quran, Qurisiyu, 12,000 times before the congregational prayers to ensure the success of the deadly assignment.

*Confused*
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by skyndyp(f): 5:00pm On Jul 12, 2010
^^Seconded. They recite scripture(is koran a scripture ) before killing?
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by seanet02: 5:19pm On Jul 12, 2010
This akala the bingo is getting frustrated, so he have the gut to kill the ALAAFIN OF OYO, he must be a real mad dog, what did the ROYAL FATHER did that deserve this, in a good country, The TWO BALLS OF AKALA WILL BE REMOVED AND FRIED FOR A DOG AS BREAKFAST. This can only happen without any deserving punishment for the MURDERERS LIKE AKALA in a BANANA REPUBLIC LIKE NIGERIA.
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by atilla(m): 6:19pm On Jul 12, 2010
This is serious, Why would they want to kill the guy so bad??
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by CarlosVent(m): 6:40pm On Jul 12, 2010
hmm who dey even plan assassinate dis people
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by GBT(m): 6:59pm On Jul 12, 2010
Really can’t be bother, innocent people die every hour without reasons from every angle for every flimsy reasons.
Why all the noise about so called individuals? If they have done good /right for the society then they should not fear to go and meet there creator and why all this high level investigation left right and centre ?
It only show the extent of decar in the system where for whatever reason the so call policeman cannot arrest both the Governor ( really it is high time, this bleached dude is arrested for mismanagement ) and the dog of a business man!
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by 1Emmy: 7:07pm On Jul 12, 2010
See wahalaooo, God must surely punish them, they want to cause confusion ad  riot in this peaceful Kano. They will not succeed. Assuming it occurred the culprit will say the southerners are responsible. Mal lam I hope you see what is happening. Tell Aboki to be careful o o.
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by mamagee3(f): 8:29pm On Jul 12, 2010
Are we in the age of Abraham Lincoln?
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by member479760: 8:46pm On Jul 12, 2010
All the characters in the poster's story act childishly. We got nothing to lose if all the character perished. we only loose if one of the power plant workers perish.
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by shanktang(m): 11:53pm On Jul 12, 2010
Are we sure there is not a boko haram angle to this, me think this is a clever attempt to find reason to a pre-planned mass religious riot and massacre of southerners in the north in the name of retaliation for a dastardly act of murder of a northern leader commited in the south, lets take a thought to the characters involved in this incident, they are all of hausa \ fulani decent whatever, and are all muslims, check out the hit location, south, target personality, northern muslim and a leader of repute, check out the plot and u'll find the underlying motive to this act,all these put together will give them a very ''good'' reason to strike there's more to this than meet the eye.All christians and southerners living in the north should really watch out.
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by mensdept: 1:09am On Jul 13, 2010
The problem is bigger than the emir, It is Naija and Nigerians as a whole. We are being ruled by common thieves-simple.
Re: Emir Of Kano Escapes Assassination Attempt by shotster50(m): 1:22am On Jul 13, 2010
There is something quite fishy about this story.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Soboma George Killed / IN CASE OF EBOLA OUTBREAK ; Will You Support Nigeria To Help South Africa?Pix. / Enugu PDP Ward Congress, Governor Chime Schemed Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.