Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:41 AM

The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense (8954 Views)

The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members / The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members / The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Agibecky: 2:36pm On Jul 12, 2010
Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) has been negotiating for N52000 minimum wage which is reasonable and realistic in view of the present state of the economy. But what the Federal Government of Nigeria decided to pay is a paltry N17, 000.

[size=28pt]This new minimum wage of N17, 000 IS NONSENSE.[/size]

N17, 000 is not even up to a living wage for any adult low income worker anywhere in Nigeria.
The cost of living in Lagos for the poorest of the poor is about N1, 000 daily and that is only for a single adult without any family.

How can families working in low-wage jobs earning only N17, 000 monthly make ends meet?

N17, 000 is not even enough to feed one Alsatian Dog in a Nigerian senator's residence.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Fhemmmy: 2:56pm On Jul 12, 2010
17K Naira is so bad and cant feed anything, not to talk of anyone.
Not even enuf to transport an employee to work and back
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Ikengawo: 3:03pm On Jul 12, 2010
the US minimum wage can't feed anyone in the US either

it's called the MINIMUM wage no the LIVING wage, its the lowest legal amount you can pay someone.
NOBODY is expected to be able to survive comfortably on minimum wage.

the ignorance of you people is staggering. it's like anything done by a nigerian your will and able to stop using through to process it and start using hatred and frustration to insult them.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Fhemmmy: 3:04pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ikengawo:

it's called the MINIMUM wage no the LIVING wage, its the lowest legal amount you can pay someone.
NOBODY is expected to be able to survive comfortably on minimum wage.

the ignorance of you people is staggering. it's like anything done by a nigerian your will and able to stop using through to process it and start using hatred and frustration to insult them.

It amazes me how we can easily compare US to Nigeria on a topic like this.
There are so much help and assistance to Americans on minimum wages, but none for Nigerians.
BTW . . . What is the minimum wage in America, cos even the host/hostess at the restaurant that makes minimum are being tipped.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Ikengawo: 3:24pm On Jul 12, 2010
research before reciting.

minimum wage in my state is 7 dollars an hour. If you were making 7 dollars and hour you wouldn't be able to feed yourself, buy gas, pay for housing ect.

jobs like that are for kids in highschool, they're not meant to help someone survive or guy by in life let alone get comfortable.

also you can't receive assistance in the US if you are working. the government takes it away. unless you're crippled, legally insane, a veteran, or retired.

waitresses make 2 dollars an hour but it's legal cause they're expected to get tips, but this is literally the same as the nigerian minimum wage in a country several times richer then nigeria.

im really not saying this to compare nigeria to america, im saying this to show you want a minimum wage is. because america has a minimum wage, i use america as my example. i can use any country in the world, the minimum wage will never be a comfortable or livable one.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by paddylo1(m): 3:28pm On Jul 12, 2010
@Ikengawo
u forget to mention that that wage is also taxed to the tune of close to 40% in the USA

and it comes straight out of your paycheck. . .so in actuality u are making $4 an hour

u pay,payroll tax,income tax,state tax,medicaire tax,city tax,unemployment insurance tax. . .all from one paycheck

every paycheck u get all these taxes are deducted before u see any pay. . . .
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Fhemmmy: 3:30pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ikengawo:

research before reciting.

minimum wage in my state is 7 dollars an hour. If you were making 7 dollars and hour you wouldn't be able to feed yourself, buy gas, pay for housing ect.

jobs like that are for kids in highschool, they're not meant to help someone survive or guy by in life let alone get comfortable.

also you can't receive assistance in the US if you are working. the government takes it away. unless you're crippled, legally insane, a veteran, or retired.

waitresses make 2 dollars an hour but it's legal cause they're expected to get tips, but this is literally the same as the nigerian minimum wage in a country several times richer then nigeria.

im really not saying this to compare nigeria to america, im saying this to show you want a minimum wage is. because america has a minimum wage, i use america as my example. i can use any country in the world, the minimum wage will never be a comfortable or livable one.

So in a nation that has unemplyment off the roof, how do you classify some jobs for students and some for a married man.
7$$ an hour, worked 40hours a week = 280$$ a week and do the math for a month, many Nigerian Father and mother will kill to have such compared to 17K a month, for a man with family in a nation where no other choice.

Mind you in Nigeria the people on minimum wages are not even asking for comfort but basic things.
paddy_lo:

@Ikengawo
u forget to mention that that wage is also taxed to the tune of close to 40% in the USA

and it comes straight out of your paycheck. . .so in actuality u are making $4 an hour

u pay,payroll tax,income tax,state tax,medicaire tax,city tax,unemployment insurance tax. . .all from one paycheck

There is bracket of taxing, no one making minimum wages pays 40% taxes
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Sammy107d(m): 3:35pm On Jul 12, 2010
Fhemmmy:

So in a nation that has unemplyment off the roof, how do you classify some jobs for students and some for a married man.
7$$ an hour, worked 40hours a week = 280$$ a week and do the math for a month, many Nigerian Father and mother will kill to have such compared to 17K a month, for a man with family in a nation where no other choice.

Mind you in Nigeria the people on minimum wages are not even asking for comfort but basic things.

Your numerical comparison is only valid on the assumption that purchasing power parity holds. . .
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by paddylo1(m): 3:41pm On Jul 12, 2010

You cannot work in america while living in Nigeria. . .so your arguement holds no water

If u work here u must live here and rent a house here,transport yourself here and so on. .

Then u will see if u will jump up for $7 an hour or not. . .

and that 280 a week,will be more like $150 a week when it hits your bank account
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by paddylo1(m): 3:44pm On Jul 12, 2010

whether its 40% or 30% the point is you are taxed heavily and your $7 is much less when they are done. . . .

and frankly if its either to make minimum wage in naija or to make it in America

i will gladly choose Nigeria. . .its obvious u dont know how hard life is here for low income workers
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Ikengawo: 3:49pm On Jul 12, 2010
@Ikengawo

yup. So image being a waitress and making 2 dollars and hour and then paying tax on it. mind you you're also going to pay tax of every single thing you buy as well.

280 dollars a week will get you no where in this country. it's just a number you have to put it in real terms.
in my state, apartment rent is on average 400 dollars a month
almost 50 dollars will be taken from that check in tax
gas and electric together are around 60 a month
gas for your car will take about 80 a month if you dont drive that much and have a mid sized car
phone, which you wont survive in the us without will be 70 a month.

so lets do the math
560 a month on mimimum wage if you get 250 a week.
_______
-50 for tax
_________
- 60 gas electric

leaving you 130 dollars in debt every month on minimum wage if you live in a bad apartment with no kids, aren't making car or credit card payments and dont eat food or wear clothes.

the reason these jobs are for kids and not adults is because they wage is not meant for someone with adult responsibilities, they're meant for people who want to learn what it's like working and have some spread money to buy clothes and video games.
kids.

that's not how the bracketing is done. everyone pays the same percentage no matter who or what you are, even obama, based on state

your tax bracket is based on how much you % ends up being.

i as a student am in the 'second tax bracket' but just barely because my job pays well for someone my age, but they take the same % out as they did when i was in the lowest tax bracket and take the same % out for my parents who are much higher.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Ikengawo: 3:53pm On Jul 12, 2010
if you must know mr. Flemmy i make $1,500 dollars every 2 weeks.
i have no kids and my expenses are very low for an american cause my apartment is modest and i payed for my car almost completely up front.
i finish my month with around 250 dollars remaining.

someone my age on average makes 400-600 a month.

except this month were i had to use my credit card and go into debt because i took a MUCH needed vacation.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 12, 2010
Lets face it. 17k as minimum wage is quite low. True the tax rate may not be as high as that which obtains in the states and elsewhere.

But the unemployment rate is very high and odd summer jobs unavailable meaning  that the worker earning that 17k has too many dependants.

Then there is the issue of lack of infrastructure. The average Nigerian has to provide his own electricity via a generating set which has to be constantly fuelled, water via borehole and several other things so really 17k is a paltry sum espectially when you compare it to the bogus sum that senators and other publicoffice holders are paid.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by honeric01(m): 4:24pm On Jul 12, 2010
#17k per month? uhmmmm, well, [b]maybe [/b]with house allowance, kids, transport e.t.c, it might still make the #52k they asked for.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by honeric01(m): 4:35pm On Jul 12, 2010
The private sector pay more than 17k (minimum) and i feel they pay more compared to the example Paddy_lo and Ikenga is using.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Ikengawo: 4:39pm On Jul 12, 2010
Lets face it. 17k as minimum wage is quite low. True the tax rate may not be as high as that which obtains in the states and elsewhere.

But the unemployment rate is very high and odd summer jobs unavailable meaning that the worker earning that 17k has too many dependants.

Then there is the issue of lack of infrastructure. The average Nigerian has to provide his own electricity via a generating set which has to be constantly fuelled, water via borehole and several other things so really 17k is a paltry sum espectially when you compare it to the bogus sum that senators and other publicoffice holders are paid.

its a minimum wage.

if i say a human being must drink a minimum of 1 cup of water every 5 days does that mean every human being will drink 1 cup of water every 5 days? no.

it simply means paying someone below that rate is criminal.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Fhemmmy: 4:41pm On Jul 12, 2010
paddy_lo:

You cannot work in america while living in Nigeria. . .so your arguement holds no water

If u work here u must live here and rent a house here,transport yourself here and so on. .

Then u will see if u will jump up for $7 an hour or not. . .

and that 280 a week,will be more like $150 a week when it hits your bank account

That is the reason why we cant compare America with Nigeria.
there are so much assistance for Americans and Nigerians are just on their own
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Fhemmmy: 4:43pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ikengawo:

yup. So image being a waitress and making 2 dollars and hour and then paying tax on it. mind you you're also going to pay tax of every single thing you buy as well.
280 dollars a week will get you no where in this country. it's just a number you have to put it in real terms.
in my state, apartment rent is on average 400 dollars a month
almost 50 dollars will be taken from that check in tax
gas and electric together are around 60 a month
gas for your car will take about 80 a month if you dont drive that much and have a mid sized car
phone, which you wont survive in the us without will be 70 a month.

so lets do the math
560 a month on mimimum wage if you get 250 a week.
_______
-50 for tax
_________
- 60 gas electric

leaving you 130 dollars in debt every month on minimum wage if you live in a bad apartment with no kids, aren't making car or credit card payments and dont eat food or wear clothes.

the reason these jobs are for kids and not adults is because they wage is not meant for someone with adult responsibilities, they're meant for people who want to learn what it's like working and have some spread money to buy clothes and video games.
kids.

that's not how the bracketing is done. everyone pays the same percentage no matter who or what you are, even obama, based on state

your tax bracket is based on how much you % ends up being.

i as a student am in the 'second tax bracket' but just barely because my job pays well for someone my age, but they take the same % out as they did when i was in the lowest tax bracket and take the same % out for my parents who are much higher.

Any a minimum wage, except the car is to take your to work . . . Transit system in America is good enough, but in Nigeria, it will cost more than the 17K to get to work and back for the month.
BTW . . . In Nigeria now, i heard they pay taxes.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Ikengawo: 4:52pm On Jul 12, 2010
no, the transit system in american isn't good.

the bus system where im from is irrelevant. people don't use it cause most stops are far from your house and don't coordinate with your schedule

public transport is only reliable in big cities, but if i told you the cost of living in NY and LA you would kill yourself.

i used public transport in NY. i payed 10 dollars to go to the nears gas station in long island looking for Soda (mineral), and 10 dollars back. the mineral its self was 3 dollars but i had no where else to get a drink where i was at in the hotel cause of the time and lack of personal transport.

in reality i payed 23 dollars for a drink.

in NY i blew almost 40 dollars a day easily on public transport. you're better off having you own car, and yeah i heard they pay tax now in nigeria to. it's a great thing and im happy for the country but its no where near US tax and we both know this.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Agibecky: 5:14pm On Jul 12, 2010
The fact is, millions of underpaid low income earners in Nigeria spend over 100% more on their welfare than their minimum wage.
Nobody is mistaking the minmum wage for the living wage.

A monthly salary of N30, 000 is not even enough to feed an adult in a month. So, how can he pay the house rent, monthly transport fares and pay other bills?

I am not interested in using the minimum wage in the United States as the yardstick for a minimum wage in Nigeria.
That would be bullshit.

Please, read the following:
[size=18pt]
Demand for Minimum Wage

Mr. President will recall that long before your recent leave, the NLC had submitted its request for a negotiation of a new national minimum wage. The demand for a new minimum wage has become necessary given the current cost of living. Our arguments for the new minimum wage have always been unassailable. The Nigerian worker, particularly in the public sector, is one of the least paid in the world. This is true when taken against the absolute national currency, as well as wages and salaries based on Purchasing Power Parity (PPP), which adjusts the national currency for the differential cost of living of the relevant nations.

It was in recognition of how bad the situation was, indeed the crisis-nature of the situation that led the NLC to demand for wage increase during the President Olusegun Obasanjo regime which culminated in the signing of an agreement aimed at providing a living wage within three years.

The consequence of the abdication of the agreed approach to the implementation of the phased-wage increases has been that wages and salaries have been sharply depressed.

To compound matters, since the 15 percent increase within the framework of wages and salary consolidation, a number of developments have further depressed the actual take-home pay of workers. Inflation has intensified in the last one year, with the cost of living index in the urban sector increasing by over 14 per cent. The disproportionate increase (20.9 percent) in the costs of food means that the erosion in the real wages and salaries of workers is alarmingly severe.

Worse still, the process of consolidation has resulted in a significantly higher income tax burden on workers. The process of monetizing and consolidating in-kind, benefits which were hitherto not taxed has resulted in an escalation of the tax paid by workers. This has further depressed the real take home pay of workers.

Apart from this erosion in the real take home pay, the relativities in the economy is quite skewed against the working class. For example, a comparison of workers' pay to that of political office holders within the same public sector does not suggest that there is a rationale or principle undergirding salary and wages in Nigeria. For example, while workers' salaries increased by 15 percent between 2006 and 2007, those of political office holders increased by over 800 percent
http://www.nlcng.org/search_details.php?id=136[/size]
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Fhemmmy: 5:15pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ikengawo:

no, the transit system in american isn't good.

the bus system where im from is irrelevant. people don't use it cause most stops are far from your house and don't coordinate with your schedule

public transport is only reliable in big cities, but if i told you the cost of living in NY and LA you would kill yourself.

i used public transport in NY. i payed 10 dollars to go to the nears gas station in long island looking for Soda (mineral), and 10 dollars back. the mineral its self was 3 dollars but i had no where else to get a drink where i was at in the hotel cause of the time and lack of personal transport.

in reality i payed 23 dollars for a drink.

in NY i blew almost 40 dollars a day easily on public transport. you're better off having you own car, and yeah i heard they pay tax now in nigeria to. it's a great thing and im happy for the country but its no where near US tax and we both know this.

And how much is parking in NY?

BTW . . .  Nigerians will settle for a stop far from home than to be in a van that points to the east and yet to to North cos of bad frame.
Nigerians will settle for a far bus stop from home rather than going thru the window to get inside a molue.
No matter how u look at it, there is no comparison btw Nigeria and USA.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Fhemmmy: 5:17pm On Jul 12, 2010
Agibecky:

The fact is, millions of underpaid low income earners in Nigeria spend over 100% more on their welfare than their minimum wage.
Nobody is mistaking the minmum wage for the living wage.

A monthly salary of N30, 000 is not even enough to feed an adult in a month. So, how can he pay the house rent, monthly transport fares and pay other bills?

I am not interested in using the minimum wage in the United States as the yardstick for a minimum wage in Nigeria.
That would be bullshit.

Please, read the following:

Great point.
So easy for people to just wanna point out the minimum wages in Yankee, and at the end of April, most will file income taxes and get some money back, while Nigerians gets nothing.
No help for Nigerians and yet we wanna compare to America where they spend billions of $$ in a fiscal year to make sure that their people are well taken cared of
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Ehoi: 5:21pm On Jul 12, 2010
It is too low. The average cost of a plate of food in mama put is N200. Three meals a day is N600. In a month (X 30) is N18,000. Just the cost of food for one person is already above N17,000. For those comparing with the USA. In US you can get a decent meal for $5. Three a day is $15. If you work 8 hours a day, you make $48. This is just food oh.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by agitator: 5:26pm On Jul 12, 2010
in Nigeria, when you hear minimum wage about 30% of the government workers earn that amount, with the next 30% earning additional 3%-15% on the minimum wage. And the private sector, except for the multinationals companies the Nigerian owned companies pay far below the minimum wage
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Fhemmmy: 5:28pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ehoi:

It is too low. The average cost of a plate of food in mama put is N200. Three meals a day is N600. In a month (X 30) is N18,000. Just the cost of food for one person is already above N17,000. For those comparing with the USA. In US you can get a decent meal for $5. Three a day is $15. If you work 8 hours a day, you make $48. This is just food oh.

I am sure someone on Minimum wage will not eat out 3 times a day . . . .  else, he is only signing his own death warrant
agitator:

in Nigeria, when you hear minimum wage about 30% of the government workers earn that amount, with the next 30% earning additional 3%-15% on the minimum wage. And the private sector, except for the multinationals companies the Nigerian owned companies pay far below the minimum wage

And yet some people wanna compare to USA minimum wages?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Ehoi: 5:34pm On Jul 12, 2010
Fhemmmy:

I am sure someone on Minimum wage will not eat out 3 times a day . . . .  else, he is only signing his own death warrant
And yet some people wanna compare to USA minimum wages?

That is true. But I was comparing him with someone in the US that is also eating out.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Fhemmmy: 5:57pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ehoi:

That is true. But I was comparing him with someone in the US that is also eating out.

I so much feel u, bro
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by qrich: 6:25pm On Jul 12, 2010
[size=18pt]I am just wondering. What is the qualification of those who earn this minimum wage?[/size]
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by PapaBrowne(m): 9:22pm On Jul 12, 2010
GOODLUCK JONATHAN said today on facebook

"My update regarding the payment of living wages to workers under the employ of the Federal Government elicited many comments and many of you wanted this gesture to be extended to the States as well as the Private Sector. Well, our federalism is still in its infancy and we must do everything in our power to improve our practice of it so as to strengthen our great union. The constitution I swore to uphold requires of me to have respect for the authority of other tiers of government in accordance with the rule of law. While I cannot dictate to the State governments or the private sector, I will do everything within my powers to encourage and cooperate with the States to do what is right for Nigerian workers because in the final analysis we are first and foremost citizens of Nigeria before our indigeneship of a given State. As for the private sector, they can even pay more so long as our vision of growing the economy in partnership with them remains on course. I am very hopeful". GEJ
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by 4Play(m): 10:39pm On Jul 12, 2010
How much is the Federal Govt's revenue that people expect it to be paying N52,000? Simple maths will show you that the labour costs will be too much to bear if the minimum wage was 52k per year.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by honeric01(m): 10:43pm On Jul 12, 2010
4 Play:

How much is the Federal Govt's revenue that people expect it to be paying N52,000? Simple maths will show you that the labour costs will be too much to bear if the minimum wage was 52k per year.   

Per year ke? it was suppose to be per month ooh.

Fhemmmy:

Nigerians will settle for a far bus stop from home rather than going thru the window to get inside a molue.

Who dey pass window enter molue for Nigeria? undecided
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Kobojunkie: 10:48pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ikengawo:

That's a very dishonest statement to make there . . .   Minimum wage feeds millions across the country to this day. It may not buy them luxury but it does feed them.   No be by force to post online especially if you have no clue what you are rambling on about. Some of us actually lived on minimum for a couple of years and can educate you on how well you can feed yourself on minimum wage here.

Ehoi:

You dey mind the empty barrels?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Etc Loan Be Warned! !! / Evaluation Problem / Medical Corper Kidnapped In Ebonyi Is Rescued

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.