Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,714 members, 7,802,162 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:08 AM

The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense (8952 Views)

The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members / The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members / The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by tpiah: 10:52pm On Jul 12, 2010
Minimum wage feeds millions across the country to this day. It may not buy them luxury but it does feed them. No be by force to post online especially if you have no clue what you are rambling on about. Some of us actually lived on minimum for a couple of years and can educate you on how well you can feed yourself on minimum wage here.

minimum wages will feed, clothe and house you if you combine two or three of them together, or else dont pay rent.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by 4Play(m): 10:52pm On Jul 12, 2010
honeric01:

Per year ke? it was suppose to be per month ooh.

Thanks, it was an error. Imagine if Govt workers were paid a minimum of 52000Naira per month. Converted to Naira , using N150 to $1, that will be a minimum wage of $4160 per employee each year. If the Govt workforce is at least a million, that's an insanely conservative estimate, you're looking at a wage bill that starts from at least $4bn, that's assuming everyone was paid a minimum wage and assuming a Govt workforce of just 1 million in a country of 150 million.

Nigeria's oil revenue is probably less than $30bn. With a wage bill that large, only an id-iot would give this proposal any credibility.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by honeric01(m): 11:06pm On Jul 12, 2010
4 Play:

Thanks, it was an error. Imagine if Govt workers were paid a minimum of 52000Naira per month. Converted to Naira , using N150 to $1, that will be a minimum wage of $4160 per employee each year. If the Govt workforce is at least a million, that's an insanely conservative estimate, you're looking at a wage bill that starts from at least $4bn, that's assuming everyone was paid a minimum wage and assuming a Govt workforce of just 1 million in a country of 150 million.

Nigeria's oil revenue is probably less than $30bn. With a wage bill that large, only an id-iot would give this proposal any credibility.

I tire oo, even these government workers, they hardly do anything, they go to work, mark register, then off they go to their personal business, Go to Federal fire stations across Nigeria, hardly will you find any "active worker" there, Is is power holding? that's where you will find ghost workers collecting salaries they never worked for in the first place.

As for the Federal teachers (schools), don't even go there, some of them spend their teaching time selling wears, groceries, items e.t.c to other teachers and the public, they teach for 2 hours and off they go. Infact, i just don't know if they truly deserve to be paid, but then if the head is as lazy as the bottom, what else do you expect?

If those lazy senators/house of rep are raking in millions just to sit, fight and quarrel, why should the ghost government workers not collect their own share too? sad sad sad
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 13, 2010
Ikengawo:

its a minimum wage.

if i say a human being must drink a minimum of 1 cup of water every 5 days does that mean every human being will drink 1 cup of water every 5 days? no.

it simply means paying someone below that rate is criminal.

It also means that is the amount the least paid worker will get.

No matter how you cut and slice it, that amount is low given the dearth of basic infrastricture, high cost of living and lack of social welfare scheme which is the reality in Nigeria today.

Aside from Lagos state where i know public schools are tuition free i don't think same applies elsewhere. So i can't see the 17k going a long way and i think this is why service delivery in government parastatals are appaling. The workers are simply disenchanted.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Ikengawo: 11:32am On Jul 13, 2010
its not supposed to go a long way. it's supposed to go a minimum way
that's way it's the minimum wage
get it?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by duno: 11:38am On Jul 13, 2010
Minimum or living, bottomline is that our take home pay cant take us home!
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 11:46am On Jul 13, 2010
Ikengawo:

get it?
Obviously i am not a dotard. I was merely stating my opinion- 17k as minimum wage is too small.
You don't have to like or agree with it,
Okay?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by bisiaet: 12:05pm On Jul 13, 2010
Why all these talk about comparison with U.S minimum wage what has U.S issue got to do with this if U.S like they can put their minimu wage at any figure left to them what is important is this 17k is too poor per month pay as a minimum wage that is all. What is poor is poor and what is bad is bad no other name to call it.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by CarlosVent(m): 12:24pm On Jul 13, 2010
SENATOR ARE EARNING SOME 25MILLION A YEAR WHY 17,000.
DATS WHY WE NO GO DO OYIBO WRK AT ALL
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by jarkbauer: 12:39pm On Jul 13, 2010
don't forget the highest paid is about 5.4million per annum
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by jarkbauer: 12:51pm On Jul 13, 2010
Ikengawo:

get it?
come back home and feel it.
3bedroom is about 350k per annum for two years you are looking at 850k.transport takes about 15k.feeding dont go there hospital bills clothing etc leaving wage for any family in nigeria should not be less than $1500 (about 200k) since you are comparing it with america's
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by haulat: 12:56pm On Jul 13, 2010
DOES THE MINIMUM WAGE INCREASE INCLUDES COPPERS?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by idifu(m): 1:06pm On Jul 13, 2010
rubbish
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 13, 2010
4 Play:

can you also make analysis for the billions of naira that disappear everday in this country.what is this minimum wage compare to what the National assembly members earn.can you also give me a credible defense why MILITANTS SHOULD EARN #65 000 monthly and a civil servant should earn 17 000 excluding tax.
honeric01:

I tire oo, even these government workers, they hardly do anything, they go to work, mark register, then off they go to their personal business, Go to Federal fire stations across Nigeria, hardly will you find any "active worker" there, Is is power holding? that's where you will find ghost workers collecting salaries they never worked for in the first place.

As for the Federal teachers (schools), don't even go there, some of them spend their teaching time selling wears, groceries, items e.t.c to other teachers and the public, they teach for 2 hours and off they go. Infact, i just don't know if they truly deserve to be paid, but then if the head is as lazy as the bottom, what else do you expect?

If those lazy senators/house of rep are raking in millions just to sit, fight and quarrel, why should the ghost government workers not collect their own share too? sad sad sad
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by majoroller: 1:26pm On Jul 13, 2010
This issue of minimum wage is that ,that concern every country and am sure no single country will say they have a minimum  wage that's acceptable,every country will always want to improve on it, at the same time every country has its own challenges and i hate when people that don't live here ,don't know the standant of living here and also how the labour force are suffering here come up and start comparing, you guys should talk about the challenges you are face with not try and compare cuz challenges differs in different places.like we haven't live in and travel around the world before, please let face reality i can't even use 17k for my grocery in a week talkless of earning it as a minimum wage, so talk about what you cant do with your minimum wage in your country or the place of your resident ,don't talk about where you not  @, i have lived in newyork and i know when i take 100dollars to grocery what i'll get should i now start comparing it to what 100dollars will get me here,
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by otondo55: 1:47pm On Jul 13, 2010
This is too poor, Mr President !

Compare it with what those lazy senators

and fighting Reps are receiving a month.

too bad !!!!
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by ProAnti: 1:52pm On Jul 13, 2010
I remember asking a corps member who bought a fairly used laptop after his service year how he did it. His response was "If you want to save money, you can. No matter how much you earn."
This corps member was earning about 9700 monthly (He served in Kano).

The truth is 17000 is more than enough for workers in some states of the federation. You can't peg down a minimum wage using the cost of living of the most expensive state as a basis. We practice federalism in Nigeria and as such it will be unwise to pay every public worker the same minimum. I know I have advanced the argument to the state vs FG minimum, but I think the idea of a definite FG minimum wage should not be misconstrued to mean a living wage for public workers.

If FG begins to talk about mass retrenchment we will start complaining. The government cannot pay 52k minimum and maintain its overbloated workforce.

17000 minimum is OK for ghost/unproductive workers.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by ProAnti: 1:56pm On Jul 13, 2010
otondo55:

This is too poor, Mr President !

Compare it with what those lazy senators

and fighting Reps are receiving a month.

too bad !!!!

If we continue making this kind of comparism we will never move forward.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Dolaapo(f): 2:06pm On Jul 13, 2010
I agree that minimum wage should be minimum, but compared to the standard of living in Nigeria; it is ridiculously low.
    The minimum wage in U.S should NOT be compared to the minimum wage in Nigeria. In the U.S:
- if you fall below an income bracket, you can file for tax exemptions (so not everybody pays taxes)
- There is unemployment benefits (even though not related)
- There is welfare for low income families (it increases depending on the number of dependants that you have)
- There is tax refund for those that files
- There are food stamps
- There are living assistance for low income families (the govt pays a portion or the whole rent)
- Transportation is cheap (also govt assistance)
- There is electricity (no generator); if you can't afford electricity, govt also helps with that)
- There are charity organizations for low income families
- and many more (although life in Yankee is not all that rosy)
    So please don't compare U.S and Nigeria's minimum wages because they are not in the same league. Yes, the minimum wage in America is low BUT, the govt and charitable organizations also supplement the wages. We have no such programs in Nigeria. So the govt should either increase the wages, or create such programs (17k is still better than nothing, but what is bad is bad).
    For those that insist that the minimum wages should be compared:
U.S $7/hr * 80 = 560 = 84000 (at 150 ngn exchange rate)
Nigeria = 17k NGN
also if you work over 80hrs you get paid time and a half ($7+ $3.50 = 10.50).
    How many employers in naija pays overtime?  angry , they work you to the bones that you end up using the salary to buy medications/hospital bills.
@ Pro Anti, if that's the case, then minimum wage should differ from states to states (increase according to cost of living), I will repeat 17k/month is ridiculously low for workers in naija. For those shouting that it is minimum wage and not living wage; what will you do if you were in that situation? I live in yankee, but i know how many people are suffering in naija, so please get of your freaking high horses and make research (or go home to experience it first hand), instead typing rubbish on the internet. angry
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by MrAnus: 2:16pm On Jul 13, 2010
Isnt N17,000 equivilent to £3?? £3 a year? MY GOD!!!!!!
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by saintchux(m): 2:17pm On Jul 13, 2010
Minimum Wage!!! = 17k

Maximum wage @

I think this is for Level 1 staff of public service

Your qualification will now determine what you will be paid. A graduate @ level 8 will definitely earn not less than 50K. An OND or NCE holder will not earn less than 25K, so please let us hold our peace because I have read in this forum many people complaining that they are been paid 25K in a bank and other places as B.sc or HND holders. So for me this is great to have increased it to 17k, mind you it was about 7.5K before.
What we should do now is to task GEJ to improve and open other sectors of the economy so that if am not getting enough pay after passing going to higher institution for 5 yrs, i will change my job without stress. If jobs can be swooped with easy, then employers will pay well.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by xterra2(m): 2:20pm On Jul 13, 2010
I dont why People are criticising this as to it is too small
Firstly the former minimum wage is N5,500 and for it to be N17,000 is good news
now people get this it is minimum wage not your monthly wage
And though currently it is not enough it would go a long way to some people
and no countries minimum wage is ever enough
Take this for example in US you have five kids and your minimum wage is $400 and after four years you get 3 children again which means more food,school fees,a bigger house,more clothes,and a new car mini bus like toyota sienna,to accomodate the children while a person on the same minimum wage of $400 with one or no children would be better off , so really size matters , what am saying is that to SOME people it would be okay for them and SOME would still be inadequate but would help in a way,
And the N52,000 minimum wage they demanded is unrealistic as 4 play said and analysed ,
Now if they government does what is right by building trains and better transport also by building good and cheap affordable schools and helping farmers which would in turn make food prices cheap that N17,000 would be enough for MANY people IF NOT all
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by dolu2007(m): 2:22pm On Jul 13, 2010
How many people are on minimum wage?

If the amount is too small to survive, simply upgrade your skills and knowledge and stop living the mediocre life. You need to remember that the minimum wage use to be less than 10k monthly.

In fairness, that amount is pretty small,considering the resource at our disposal.

Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by xterra2(m): 2:23pm On Jul 13, 2010
Mr Anus:

Isnt N17,000 equivilent to £3??  £3 a year?  MY GOD!!!!!!
Maybe you were thinking from your anus it would roughly be equal to 77 pounds (i dont have the symbol on my keyboard )
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 13, 2010
Mr Anus:

Isnt N17,000 equivilent to £3??  £3 a year?  MY GOD!!!!!!
How can #17 000 be equivalent to £3 ? Convert it,anything you get is what the least person in the civil service will earn.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Sauron1: 2:25pm On Jul 13, 2010
xterra2:

Maybe you were thinking from your anus it would roughly be equal to 77 pounds (i dont have the symbol on my keyboard )
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 13, 2010
dolu2007:

How many people are on minimum wage?

If the amount is too small to survive, simply upgrade your skills and knowledge and stop living the mediocre life. You need to remember that the minimum wage use to be less than 10k monthly.

In fairness, that amount is pretty small,considering the resource at our disposal.
All fingers cannot be equally,that is why the government made provision for grade levels.so blame not those at the bottom of the ladder.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Agibecky: 2:54pm On Jul 13, 2010
~Bluetooth:

All fingers cannot be equally,that is why the government made provision for grade levels.so blame not those at the bottom of the ladder.

Even goats know that.

But the fact is N17, 000 MONTHLY CANNOT EVEN PAY THE TRANSPORT FARE FROM YABA BUS STOP TO RACE COURSE IN ONIKAN ON THE LAGOS ISLAND AND BACK HOME IN A MONTH.

The Nigerian government lacks National Planning.

Planning is everything and everything is planning.

Chief Obafemi Awolowo addressed all these issues when he was a federal minister under General Yakubu Gowon from June 12, 1967 to June 30 1971 and wrote them in his books. But since the FOOLS of today do not read his books and have not learnt from how he did it successfully.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Agibecky: 2:56pm On Jul 13, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Even goats know that.

But the fact is N17, 000 MONTHLY CANNOT EVEN PAY THE TRANSPORT FARE FROM YABA BUS STOP TO RACE COURSE IN ONIKAN ON THE LAGOS ISLAND AND BACK HOME IN A MONTH.

Chief Obafemi Awolowo addressed all these issues when he was a federal minister under General Yakubu Gowon from June 12, 1967 to June 30 1971 and wrote them in his books. But since the FOOLS of today do not read his books and have not learnt from how he did it successfully.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 13, 2010
Agibecky:

Even goats know that.

Awolowo and co were more interested in building nationalistic legacy unlike these modern days politicians that are interested in building corruption legacy.shame on them !!!
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by tpiah: 3:19pm On Jul 13, 2010
N17,000 is too small.

The truth is 17000 is more than enough for workers in some states of the federation

really?

not sure about that.

most people still need to supplement their income in some way.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by agitator: 3:24pm On Jul 13, 2010
Dolaapo:

@ Pro Anti, if that's the case, then minimum wage should differ from states to states (increase according to cost of living), I will repeat 17k/month is ridiculously low for workers in naija. For those shouting that it is minimum wage and not living wage; what will you do if you were in that situation? I live in yankee, but i know how many people are suffering in naija, so please get of your freaking high horses and make research (or go home to experience it first hand), instead typing rubbish on the internet.  angry

So many people don't know or choose to ignore.  Some people who are students their parents didn't send them to US and Britain on their minimum wage savings.  The Ibos have a parable which says "a child on the mother's back doesn't know that the journey is far - Chinua Achebe"

In USA & Britain, family members don't depend on you because you just got employed as a clerk, helper in a construction company, factory hand, etc.  Graduates don't flood construction sites doing menial jobs for up to 3yrs and above.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Etc Loan Be Warned! !! / Evaluation Problem / Medical Corper Kidnapped In Ebonyi Is Rescued

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.