Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,386 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:19 AM

The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense - NYSC (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense (8961 Views)

The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members / The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members / The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Kobojunkie: 5:45pm On Jul 15, 2010
GAR3TH:

LOL NEW AGE . . . People with out computers lol. . .People have been petitioning for thousands of years. . .Face it complaining(talk) is different from petitioning(action). .
Like I said it is different but it is the same. Both are complaints. I have gotten raises, simply by complaining to my clients about costs. Complaining(talking) got me the raise -- I didn't have to put together a petition -- so in essence both are actions, and are likely to achieve results if directed to the right authority.

GAR3TH:

about N50,000 and that was when i was in maryland, USA. . .but My family is doing better now. . .
Well, at least you are doing better now. I was even poorer, as in Naira 0(zero) for over 2 years, living in the same US. But I was able to get by mainly because I discovered there was a huge pool of resources available to people in my condition.
GAR3TH:

just like India its The large Unemployed Labor Pool
Now you are choosing to compare this with those in India? Nigeria's pool of unemployed is nowhere near what is obtained in India. And cost of living is not the same.
GAR3TH:

Yes the have the same problems as we. . .Not all of china is developed you know. . .maybe I should Have used India.
Dude, I don't give a fart about what portion of china is developed and what portion is not. We are speaking here of comparing cost of living and minimum wage, not number of SHINY structures there are in one place as against the other. When you were poor, did you care about how developed the state you lived in was or were you more concerned about how to make sure you were able to make ends meet with the little you had available to you and how you could go about improving on that?

GAR3TH:

T o show an example of another country in a similar position. . .showing that the amount is technical right when compared to similar countries.
I was just backing up my claim of "technically right" by giving examples and comparisons of other countries
The comparisons you are making are flawed considering you have yet to show why someone in Nigeria should look at China, or India's example in this.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by GAR3TH(m): 5:46pm On Jul 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I wondered why you would expect people not to continue complaining until they get better deals/benefits.

Complain No. . .Petition and get some "action" in any way yes the can.

You might have figured that Nigeria cannot afford to pay them more but I don't think the average worker out there who works labouring under the sun to feed his family and self wants to concern himself with that. He sees how the leaders share money the way they want  . . he sees how billions supposed to be spent to improve living for him are wisked away to foreign accounts and pockets of the rich and fat and he wonders why it seems the harder he works, the more expensive life gets for him. He has a right to be frustrated and complain the way he knows how to.

Then what is he waiting for . . .sorry to be mean. . .but he sees his leaders taking the money and does nothing. . .he sees billions wasted and does nothing. . .He has the right to be frustrated and complain but guess what. . .he is doing nothing. . .If you want change you have to fight for it with some action. . . The are 150 million nigeria and only about 2,000 of them (leaders) are the one spoiling everything. . .I'm sorry You can complain all you want but until you get some "action" going life will remain the same.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Kobojunkie: 5:54pm On Jul 15, 2010
GAR3TH:

Complain No. . .Petition and get some "action" in any way yes the can.
Then what is he waiting for . . .sorry to be mean. . .but he sees his leaders taking the money and does nothing. . .he sees billions wasted and does nothing. . .He has the right to be frustrated and complain but guess what. . .he is doing nothing. . .If you want change you have to fight for it with some action. . . The are 150 million nigeria and only about 2,000 of them (leaders) are the one spoiling everything. . .I'm sorry You can complain all you want but until you get some "action" going life will remain the same.
Petitions are simply COMPLAINTS on paper, nothing more! It is no more action than confronting your boss with your complaints. If spoken complaints have never worked for you personally, that is fine. But no need to continue making FALSE statements such as complaints do not work and all that balderdash. People for ages have done it and gotten results. Even at town hall meetings, verbal complaints have helped spur change in communities across Nigeria and even places like America.

You don't like people complaining verbally, that is fine but don't go around spewing false statements of how complaints do not work when there are tons of instances when it has been used to cause change in our world.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by GAR3TH(m): 5:58pm On Jul 15, 2010
I love how you twist what i say. . .and try to make me look like the bad guy lol. . . I said complains(talks) does nothing. and if you do "action" petition or confronting your boss etc. . .It works. . .just talking to your self does do nothing. . . See how you twisted what i said smh
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Kobojunkie: 6:14pm On Jul 15, 2010
GAR3TH:

I love how you twist what i say. . .and try to make me look like the bad guy lol. . . I said complains(talks) does nothing. and if you do "action" petition or confronting your boss etc. . .It works. . .just talking to your self does do nothing. . . See how you twisted what i said smh

And I said complaints do something . . . . wait a second . . . now complaints mean talking to oneself?

Dude, I am not trying to twist what you say and make you look like the bad guy. . . like I posted earlier, I respond so I can get to understand behind the reasoning you offer. People are now on Facebook COMPLAINING . . . it is working. The last thing we need is now telling people the only way things will change is if we do it one way and not the other when it is now clear that the other is also working.

I don't know a lot of people who complain to themselves! When you are able to get your issues out there so others know of it, it is capable of changing things. We have seen it work and we are sure it works now. Even posts here on Nairaland have helped spur change . . . check out the thread posted by Aisha only a couple of days ago. Even though it is yet to get to government, that complaint alone has caused some others to do something about the situation and suggest ideas on how to go about changing that status quo. It may not work 100% of the time but it is wrong to dismiss it completely.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by GAR3TH(m): 6:14pm On Jul 15, 2010
. . .
Now you are choosing to compare this with those in India? Nigeria's pool of unemployed is nowhere near what is obtained in India. And cost of living is not the same.

point is there unemployed

Dude, I don't give a fart about what portion of china is developed and what portion is not. We are speaking here of comparing cost of living and minimum wage, not number of SHINY structures there are in one place as against the other. When you were poor, did you care about how developed the state you lived in was or were you more concerned about how to make sure you were able to make ends meet with the little you had available to you and how you could go about improving on that?

wtf when did i say all that. . .anyway china has a similar cost of living as nigeria. . .and they have a similar minimum wage. . .they same problems as wewhy do you like to get off topic?

The comparisons you are making are flawed considering you have yet to show why someone in Nigeria should look at China, or India's example in this.

w[b]hy do you like repeating?. . .We are in the same situation. . .both have large unemployment field. . .both have similar minimum wages. . .That is the example I gave for my reason why the wage is unethical but some what correct. . .Its nothing more. . .You like to analyze everything I say and rephrase the question every time. . . Its getting annoying. angry[/b]

I was doing something that why i answered late
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Kobojunkie: 6:19pm On Jul 15, 2010
GAR3TH:

wtf when did i say all that. . .anyway china has a similar cost of living as nigeria. . .and they have a similar minimum wage. . .they same problems as wewhy do you like to get off topic?
Any information out there to show this to be the case?

GAR3TH:

why do you like repeating?. . .We are in the same situation. . .both have large unemployment field. . .both have similar minimum wages. . .That is the example I gave for my reason why the wage is unethical but some what correct. . .Its nothing more. . .You like to analyze everything I say and rephrase the question every time. . . Its getting annoying.
I like to be sure I am dealing with facts! Any info to show that China and Nigeria are in the same situation? Again, I like to make sure we are dealing with facts and not making stuff up just for the heck of it.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by GAR3TH(m): 6:30pm On Jul 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

And I said complaints do something . . . . wait a second . . . now complaints mean talking to oneself?

Duh. . .Thats what I've been writing. . .every time I Mention complain it put (talk) next to it . . .see bottom

Even though it is yet to get to government, that complaint alone has caused some others to do something about the situation and suggest ideas on how to go about changing that status quo. . .

That what I'm saying. . .Complaining (i dont care what the hell you say it means), but look at the bold. . .got someone to do something. . . aka. . .as in what Im was talking about. . . Of course the complaints  cause him to do something. . .every one complains. . .its until you do some action that the problem will be solved. . .that what im saying, there is a difference. . .and you said it. . .

Gareth @ at 05:36:37 PM
LOL NEW AGE . . . People with out computers lol. . .People have been petitioning for thousands of years. . .Face it complaining(talk) is different from petitioning(action). . .

So what was the point of all this. . .we could have ended it like an hour ago.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Kobojunkie: 6:37pm On Jul 15, 2010
You know what, I am not even going to try showing how that what I have there is not what you have there. I sense you are getting uber defensive, so I will let it go now since you don't seem to see it still. . . . grin
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by GAR3TH(m): 6:40pm On Jul 15, 2010
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by GAR3TH(m): 6:42pm On Jul 15, 2010
what are we even talking about any way lol this is point less. . .you got me talking about china smh. . .lol im getting defensive?. . .BTW. . .i dont mind if you show me. . .

this is probably the most point less argument i have ever had. . .we switched topics so many times
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by muyiserra: 7:05pm On Jul 15, 2010
@Fhemmy, brother better u shut up if u don't know anything, say hottest are being tipped,
do u think everybody is like u that tipped waiters in restaurant or whatever! or do u think
they could be able to survive by these tipping,

You cant compare Nigeria to the US or any of these countries in Europe, they have a policy called ''income declaration'' that u do if u earn a minimum salary,
that the government would have to return money back to you,

In spain for example the minimum annual salary is about 17000 euros, you are paid 14 times here in a year, in christmas n for summer holiday.
After everything you could likely earn 1200 a month, but there are pple that earns 600, 750euros so these kind of pple would then have to make the income declaration, cos their annual earning is not even up to 17000euros, so they government would then hav to calculate and pays them what they have to had been paid.

Also there are pple that wen they do it, the income declaration, bad lucks fall and they have to pay the government these are pple that earns ur to 21000 to 25000 euros or more annually.

I didnt explain myself better so I dont want to c any nasty comment o wink
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by 4Play(m): 9:55pm On Jul 15, 2010
Has any of you realised that wage levels are partly determined by the employer's financial resources?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by 4Play(m): 12:23am On Jul 16, 2010
THE proposed national minimum wage may develop hiccup in states, as they lack the resources to pay their workers.

Also, the states have rejected the unilateral action taken by the Federal Government on the issue.

The Nigerian Tribune gathered that since the Federal Government began actions on the issue, neither the president nor the agencies involved in the new minimum wage deemed it fit to carry the states along

According to the Nigerian Tribune findings, the national minimum wage is a time bomb that will soon explode in states, as many states do not have the resources to pay the minimum wage.

Some state finance commissioners, who spoke with the Nigerian Tribune on the issue, said states would definitely have problems meeting the national minimum wage obligation as statutory allocations accruing to states and local government were decreasing on a monthly basis due to the declining price of oil in the international market.

They said the issue of 27. per cent teachers enhancement package was already creating chaos in some states, adding that the national minimum wage load would definitely ignite the not-too-stable polity.

A pointer to this was the long drawn closed door debate on how the states would get the resources to pay the new wage minutes after the issues of statutory allocations had been deliberated upon at the just concluded meeting of the Federation Account Allocation Committee, FAAC, in Abuja

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jul/15/601.html
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by gbagudara: 7:23pm On Jul 19, 2010
Can it be enforced?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Akosbaba(m): 11:47pm On Jul 19, 2010
It's funny someone can call 17,000 meagre when pple are thankful they can make do with 10,000

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Etc Loan Be Warned! !! / Evaluation Problem / Medical Corper Kidnapped In Ebonyi Is Rescued

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.