Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? (16050 Views)

A 2001 Nigerian Usedvolkswagen Passat For Quick Sale (680k) / A 2001 Nigerian Used Corolla For Quick Sale (480k) / I Need A 2001 Model Lexus Es300 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by toluloa: 7:51am On Jul 14, 2010
Hi guys please help out.

Where can i find the engine number of a toyota camry 2001?

Can the engine number also be the VIN
Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by AGARIautos: 8:01am On Jul 14, 2010
@POSTER,

THIS CAN BE LOCATED IN AT LEAST TWO PLACES ON THE VEHICLE: ALL VEHICLES HAVE A METAL TAG THAT DISPLAYS THE CODE MOUNTED ON THE DASHBOARD NEAR THE LEFT SIDE OF THE WINDSHIELD. IT WILL ALSO APPEAR ON A LABEL LOCATED ON THE SIDE OF THE DRIVER'S DOOR, EITHER ON THE DOOR ITSELF OR ON THE FRAME.
Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by toluloa: 9:02am On Jul 14, 2010
I know where the VIN is but I'm looking for where I can find the ENGINE NUMBER for registration purposes
Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by chelseabmw(m): 9:10am On Jul 14, 2010
sorry i call u just now
Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by Kashif(m): 10:45am On Jul 14, 2010
This is very tough to locate. You have to disconnect the top water hose, and one or two other things before you can be able to locate it on the engine block, towards the left of the car. The day I day I got mine, a mechanic was involved. We used chalk, mirror etc because the engraving is not usually deep so you strain and strain to read it grin angry

But seriously, if you write anything as your engine number, police will not be able to disprove it because without tools and info, they can't reach it. I don't know why toyota has to hide it.

If you have your car manual, it points to the location.
Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by cecegorz(m): 12:47pm On Jul 14, 2010
@OP

Truelly you are going to have a tough time doing this, don't mind Agariautos, he's confusing Engine no. with VIN.(which is actually Chassis no.)

The day i registered one, the girl that did the reg. demanded for powder, piece of cloth, long stick, torch and all  grin  grin   grin

So funny, but for real she had to put the powder on the cloth, wrap it around the stick and pushed it deep down the side of the Engine to clear the surface where it is written, before using the torch to peep and read it out.

Toyota really did a good job in hiding the stuff.

But the convention is that V6 Engines start with 1MZ-FE while the 4 cyliders start with 5S -FE, so you will know when you get it.

If you dare use VIN as Engine number, Police will use you to chop Kilishi  grin  grin   grin They know the first few lines.
Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by Emperoh(m): 2:48pm On Jul 14, 2010
I didn't know that 1997-2001 camry have engine number in visible places!!!
I had registered one with the chasis number as the VIN!!!

Thanks for this insight!!
Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by cecegorz(m): 3:34pm On Jul 14, 2010
Kashif:

This is very tough to locate. You have to disconnect the top water hose, and one or two other things

We surely did not disconnect anything sha.

Emperoh:

[
I had registered one with the chasis number as the VIN!!!

Bros wetin u dey yarn nah     Chassis no. is actually the VIN for Yankee cars.

The issue is that people errorneously use same as ENGINE no.

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by jfking2005(m): 4:24pm On Jul 14, 2010
dear Poster,

Although its very difficult but just do it once and for all

Kashif:

This is very tough to locate. You have to disconnect the top water hose, and one or two other things before you can be able to locate it on the engine block, towards the left of the car. The day I day I got mine, a mechanic was involved. We used chalk, mirror etc because the engraving is not usually deep so you strain and strain to read it grin angry

But seriously, if you write anything as your engine number, police will not be able to disprove it because without tools and info, they can't reach it. I don't know why toyota has to hide it.

If you have your car manual, it points to the location.

Very correct, I did my registration twice because Police turn me to hotcake anytime we jam, Just involve a mechanic, you will need a torch light and a mirror too but you must disconnect your air filter to gain access.Its located almost at the lower joint of the Engine block back side
Remember the convention is that V6 Engines start with 1MZ-FE while the 4 cyliders start with 5S -FE as Cecegorz said.
Mine is 2001.

Best of luck!!

2 Likes

Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by toluloa: 6:12pm On Jul 14, 2010
hmmm, I checked the 2001 Camry owners manual online and the pictorial view implies that its at the side/front of the engine. All I found was at the side and front was a small black rectangular plate with the VIN engraved on it and this matched the VIN on the body of the car.

So what do I do now?
Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by Kashif(m): 12:02pm On Jul 19, 2010
toluloa:

hmmm, I checked the 2001 Camry owners manual online and the pictorial view implies that its at the side/front of the engine. All I found was at the side and front was a small black rectangular plate with the VIN engraved on it and this matched the VIN on the body of the car.

So what do I do now?

It is not written on any plate; it is engraved lightly on the engine. It is on the end of the engine block immediately above the transmission, and is written facing the transmission itself. Above it is the top cylinder. Just like you must have read, the i-4 and v6 engines have different unique prefixes to serve as a guide when you find it. If you can find where the engine block attaches to the transmission, you are there!

Get a mechanic to help you.
Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by Baresii(m): 9:19am On Aug 03, 2010
@Cecegorz:
I got one camry 2000 model over the weekend. Thanks to ur information I was able to get the Engine number but the number I got is 5S separated with a wide gap before a seven digit number. I want to know if 2000 model does not have FE as part of the prefix.
Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by cecegorz(m): 10:15am On Aug 03, 2010
You got it right, brou.
Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by Baresii(m): 2:22pm On Aug 03, 2010
cecegorz:

You got it right, brou.

Thanks very much
Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by Emperoh(m): 12:44pm On Aug 06, 2010
This is very insightful!!!
Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by german007(m): 9:13am On Aug 25, 2010
Hello All.

I found this thread very useful during the registration process of the below car for the client.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-466218.0.html

The guy who does my registration, my driver and the mechanic, were at it for three hours trying to locate the engine number, all because they felt embarassed and ashamed to call me and inform me of the problems they were having locating it.  grin   grin

I remembered seeing this thread and instantly logged onto NL to look for this thread. I drove straight to the mechanics garage to help them in their futile attempt.

I thank every one who has contributed positively onto this thread, your info proved very useful. I thank God for NL and NLANDERS as whole.

Below is the pictorial view of where the Engine number of a 2000/2001 Camry is Located. Toyota did a good job hiding it. I took this picture personally.

Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by Emperoh(m): 11:24am On Aug 25, 2010
Wonderful!!!

Thanks for th pictorial leverage. . . . .but i think am still confused
I have a car like this coming in and i have to register it.
What and what did u need to loose or disconnect to get at it?
A simple step by step description will help!!

Thanks!!
Re: Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? by kuntash: 11:30am On Aug 25, 2010
when the engine is cool, use torch light and chalk with a long-nose plier and mark the location- pour water on that place as if u wanna wash it. then start the engine to dry the water, , point the touch to that location , it would be visible enough, u have smthn like -- 5S0, (97-01 model -4cylinder would be 5S)
sound outrageous right?, but I got mine that way, grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% / A 2007 Nigerian Used Honda Accord For Sale...1.2m / 2011 Model Toyota Highlander Limited Used Fully Loaded Selling Cheap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.