Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates (4616 Views)

Jamb No “biometric Verification”? Cadidates Should Read This / Jamb's "No Biometric Verification" Who Is To Be Blamed? A Must Read / Nigeria UTME Candidates Download Cheat-sheets And Answers Through Mobile Phones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by AustinG1(m): 10:51am On Jul 14, 2010
About 340,000 out of the 867, 000 candidates who met the 180 cut-off point in the recent Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination will not be admitted into any of the nation’s tertiary institutions this year, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation has said.

The Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, told journalists on Tuesday in Kaduna, Kaduna State, that the nations’ tertiary institutions could not absorb all the candidates because of “limited spaces.”

Ojerinde, who described admission into tertiary institutions this year as a “survival of the fittest,” stated that the space available for prospective students was about 527,000.

He also disclosed that most of the candidates did not choose many of the the privately-owned universities because of high tuition.

The JAMB Registrar told journalists during the technical committee meeting on admission to degree-awarding institutions that except access to tertiary institutions was increased, “we will continue to have a lot of people waiting endlessly for admission.”

He added that the meeting, attended also by representatives of most of the higher institutions of learning in the country, was held to select the first set of candidates into the universities, polytechnics and colleges of education.

Ojerinde explained further that the chairman and secretary of the committee would meet on the admission lists to decide whether the candidates had met the set criteria for admission or not.

He said that once the candidates had met the set criteria, the names of such candidate would be displayed on the JAMB website and those of the universities, polytechnics and COEs chosen by them.

Ojerinde said, “With this 180 cut-off point, we have about 867,000 candidates who made 180 and above, and yet the available space is just about 527,000.

“So, the remaining 340,000 candidates will have no place to go. That is the point, except access to tertiary institutions is increased; we will continue to have lots of people waiting endlessly for admission.

“One of the beauties of this UTME is that we have brought them together and we are saying that they can go to any institution. If the university doesn’t work, college of education may work; if not, polytechnics or monotechnics may work.

“But I am not saying that it is to be for everybody because the space available is still not sufficient.”

The JAMB registrar also said that some of the candidates who failed to secure admission into their preferred institutions would be distributed to schools that had fewer number of applicants.

He, however, added that the University of Lagos, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ahmadu Bello University, Yaba College of Technology and Kaduna Polytechnic had the highest number of candidates seeking admissions.

Ojerinde said, “The schools without candidates to admit are mostly private institutions, but by the time candidates discover that they don’t have any other place to go, they will go to these private institutions because it is a matter of setting your priority right.

“I can’t give the names of these institutions now; they are so many. Some of them don’t have any candidate. The Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu is one of them. Mohammed Goni College of Legal and Islamic Studies, Maiduguri has only 13 candidates.

“Admission is not automatic because the space is not sufficient. You have to try again next time if you don’t get admitted this year. It is the survival of the fittest.”

http://www.futocomm.com/news/
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by Okijajuju1(m): 10:54am On Jul 14, 2010
pls post link

Let me start laffing with reason.
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by BLACKSNIP(m): 10:56am On Jul 14, 2010
Thanks for the news. Good job
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by AustinG1(m): 10:56am On Jul 14, 2010
Futocomm.com ,
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by AustinG1(m): 11:02am On Jul 14, 2010
I never bought dat idea of making 180 a general cut off, at least they should hav bridged da different institutions , maybe 200 and above for universities, 180 - 199 for polythecnics and maybe 160 - 179 for college of education, everyone's jamb score would hav told u where to place ur concentration, but making 180 da general cutoff wil just push the pressure to the universities,
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by Woke4all(m): 11:11am On Jul 14, 2010
I pity those without brains or connection.
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by hassymo5(m): 12:41pm On Jul 14, 2010
Woke4all:

I pity those without brains or connection.

pity those without connection, with your brain without connection in naija you cant go any where
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by jossyr(m): 12:44pm On Jul 14, 2010
those who did not pass the utme themselves will have themselves to blame.
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by Ak4ril(m): 12:51pm On Jul 14, 2010
Austin G:

About 340,000 out of the 867, 000 candidates who met the 180 cut-off point in the recent Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination will not be admitted into any of the nation’s tertiary institutions this year, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation has said.

The Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, told journalists on Tuesday in Kaduna, Kaduna State, that[b] the nations’ tertiary institutions could not absorb all the candidates because of “limited spaces.”[/b]

The JAMB Registrar told journalists during the technical committee meeting on admission to degree-awarding institutions that except access to tertiary institutions was increased, “we will continue to have a lot of people waiting endlessly for admission.”

Ojerinde said, “With this 180 cut-off point, we have about 867,000 candidates who made 180 and above, and yet the available space is just about 527,000.

“So, the remaining 340,000 candidates will have no place to go. That is the point, except access to tertiary institutions is increased; we will continue to have lots of people waiting endlessly for admission.

“But I am not saying that it is to be for everybody because the space available is still not sufficient.”

“Admission is not automatic because the space is not sufficient. You have to try again next time if you don’t get admitted this year. It is the survival of the fittest.”

Where are we heading to in this country, absolutely everything is failing. Now, students who want to go to school can't even go because of some stupid excuses.

Nigeria is already a failed state.
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by anitabest(f): 12:53pm On Jul 14, 2010
thunder fire all of them there 1 by 1,
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by Kruzarmeiztar(m): 1:10pm On Jul 14, 2010
hmmm, i pray i get my own admision ooo
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by Goldenmeda(m): 1:21pm On Jul 14, 2010
eyyyyyyy den don start a again, God kom to my resure, rescure my admission 4me dis yearooooooooooooo, baba God i beg oooooooooooo.
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by Goldenmeda(m): 1:24pm On Jul 14, 2010
eyyyyyyy den don start again, God kom to my resure, rescure  my admission 4me dis yearooooooooooooo, baba God i beg oooooooooooo.
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by justdtruth: 1:52pm On Jul 14, 2010
sometimes you wonder if people really know whats going on in the country or they are economical with the truth. how can anybody say the general cut off mark is 180 and uses that as a measure for statistics of students to be admitted into tertiary institutions when schools like university of lagos have commenced post ume examinations and the cut off mark for the exam is 200. yaba tech and lasu will be conducting their respective post ume soon and i learnt the same condition apply.
if you have scored 200 and above, pay N1,000 into designated banks and register on-line. so where is the 180 cut off. i beggi
anyway deadline for lasu registration is 20th july while that of yaba is not too different. i will post it as soon as i can confirm
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by DoubleN(m): 2:34pm On Jul 14, 2010
Austin G:

The Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, told journalists on Tuesday in Kaduna, Kaduna State, that the nations’ tertiary institutions could not absorb all the candidates because of “limited spaces.”

Ojerinde, who described admission into tertiary institutions this year as a “survival of the fittest,” stated that the space available for prospective students was about 527,000.

He also disclosed that most of the candidates did not choose many of the the privately-owned universities because of high tuition.

He added that the meeting, attended also by representatives of most of the higher institutions of learning in the country, was held to select the first set of candidates into the universities, polytechnics and colleges of education.

Ojerinde explained further that the chairman and secretary of the committee would meet on the admission lists to decide whether the candidates had met the set criteria for admission or not.

He said that once the candidates had met the set criteria, the names of such candidate would be displayed on the JAMB website and those of the universities, polytechnics and COEs chosen by them.

“One of the beauties of this UTME is that we have brought them together and we are saying that they can go to any institution. If the university doesn’t work, college of education may work; if not, polytechnics or monotechnics may work.

The JAMB registrar also said that some of the candidates who failed to secure admission into their preferred institutions would be distributed to schools that had fewer number of applicants.

He, however, added that the University of Lagos, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ahmadu Bello University, Yaba College of Technology and Kaduna Polytechnic had the highest number of candidates seeking admissions.

Ojerinde said, “The schools without candidates to admit are mostly private institutions, but by the time candidates discover that they don’t have any other place to go, they will go to these private institutions because it is a matter of setting your priority right.

“I can’t give the names of these institutions now; they are so many. Some of them don’t have any candidate. The Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu is one of them. Mohammed Goni College of Legal and Islamic Studies, Maiduguri has only 13 candidates.

Idiot of a Man,you think they did not have priorities before they wrote the JAMB exam?Abi na you go pay the ridiculous fees charged by these private schools?Arrant Nonsense.
Try applying to haliburton with that. Psheww,
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by cmon(m): 2:42pm On Jul 14, 2010
I've read the news. The direct link to the news is http://www.futocomm.com/futo/news/1024.html.

This is amazing! Let's do some maths Now.

With the log every year, in the next 10 years, it means there will be over 3 million youths waiting in the queue for admission.
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 14, 2010
Na survival of d fittest indeed,hw many pple can affoed dis dummy private UNI?
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by denony(m): 3:31pm On Jul 14, 2010
Naija lowa kilo nshele
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by forkinsonlolo(m): 3:37pm On Jul 14, 2010
thank GAWD am out of this shit grin
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by cecegorz(m): 4:03pm On Jul 14, 2010
It beats me how foreign Universities keep advertising in our dailies for students, meaning they have more than enough room for extras, while we can't even find enough room for 50% of our eligible students.

How do we compete in the 21st century world economy without educated minds, When you consider these kids are the ones that will be negotiating our foreign policies in the next 30/40 years? These our leaders are really terrible.

By the way, has IMT Enugu gone that bad? Having no application in a whole admission year? This country is another level oo
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by Newest: 4:08pm On Jul 14, 2010
MAKE THUNDER FIRE ONA, AND ONA SABI SALE FORM ABI?

AYE GBOGBOYIN ONI DAAAAAAAAAA
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by ADEYOJU: 4:22pm On Jul 14, 2010
angryNigeria giant of Africa as claimed by Nigerians but without giant stride. Jamb collected this people's money and refused to give them admission. May God forgive our leaders for this great mistake
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 14, 2010
am lipsrsealed
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by JUO(m): 5:28pm On Jul 14, 2010
problem they o
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by tellwisdom: 5:59pm On Jul 14, 2010
But d bastards sold forms without screening, iTsNaija
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by texazzpete(m): 6:21pm On Jul 14, 2010
hassymo5:

pity those without connection, with your brain without connection in naija you cant go any where

The lazy man's excuse for failure.
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by ePrince01: 7:59pm On Jul 14, 2010
if that be the case,
the result of this year should still be valid for next year
that figures is just too high for confort
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by TheReal: 8:56pm On Jul 14, 2010
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley I'm tired of all these comments o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Na Naija true true. Let us all revolt against this insanity of our leaders NOW!
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by Pharoh: 9:20pm On Jul 14, 2010
They need to device a way to fix this shit.
Re: Jamb: No Space For 340,000 Successful Utme Candidates by surugede(m): 10:36pm On Jul 14, 2010
Austin G:

Some of them don’t have any candidate. The Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu is one of them. Mohammed Goni College of Legal and Islamic Studies, Maiduguri has only 13 candidates.

did this source just said that The Institute of Management and Tech Enugu do not have any canditates for this yr. tis either that i 4got my glasses under the table and can not read well or the source do not know whta its saying

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra State University Post Utme Result Out! / Uniport Releases 2010/2011 Cce Admission List / Expo Wap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.