Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:06 AM

Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? (3385 Views)

CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country / BBC Refers To Kenyan Minister As A Nigerian / An Open Letter To President-Elect Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by obiem(m): 12:41pm On Jul 16, 2010
Some weeks back, i was watching cable television where i saw the minister of information and communications, Prof Dora Akunyili addressing correspondents after a FEC meeting when she referred to the President as Goodluck Ebele 'Azikiwe' Jonathan. I was suprised and laughed afterwards cos it was funny. Why is he being associated with a host of igbo names? I stand to be corrected, his name is not Azikiwe so why would Dora call him dat on national television? Except he adopted the name of late,
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jul 16, 2010
why not share the video?
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 16, 2010
I heard  it too.

All I can conclude from the manner she emphasised on "Azikiwe" is that she is trying to make a "statement" or pass a "message". grin
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 16, 2010
If she did then it is a mistake because I don't think Dora can officially address the President in a fond name his parents used to call him, except this is actually one of his names

I have red some of Jonathan's Biography where it was said that the fond name his parents called him was Azikiwe after Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe.

I do not know if this is officially one of his name, or whether just a fond name from a parent to a child.

But I think people are reading too much into this.

Because I have also read OBJ addressed as Mathew Aremu Okikiola Olusegun Obasanjo

How many of these is his official names and how many are just names his parents called him for fun? So some folks should stop reading too much meanings into things.

Some of General Ike Nwachukwu's name include Umar Sanda and they are usually called in public. So lets not read too much into this. It means nothing.
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by obiem(m): 1:00pm On Jul 16, 2010
mikeansy:

why not share the video?

I don't have the link to the video but from what ilugunboy said @ least that makes us two

ilugunboy:

I heard  it too.

All I can conclude from the manner she emphasised on "Azikiwe" is that she is trying to make a "statement" or pass a "message". grin
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by naso2(m): 1:03pm On Jul 16, 2010
Before nko? the guy needs the votes from the SE badly.
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 16, 2010
Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi

David Alechenu Mark

all these are names that cross geographical boundaries
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jul 16, 2010
na_so:

Before nko? the guy needs the votes from the SE badly.

And you think procuring or emphasizing Igbo sounding middle names is enough to win the South East?

People deserve more respect than that abeg
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by obiem(m): 1:11pm On Jul 16, 2010
mikeansy:

Because I have also read OBJ addressed as Mathew Aremu Okikiola Olusegun Obasanjo[quote][/quote]

Well OBJ's case is different, all the above names are actually his names. If you read his book My commands u'll know this. I think i agree with your assertion that it's not correct to address him the president with his fond name in public. That's what i think the 'AZIKIWE' in his name is, a fond name. But being that the name is associated with a great man now makes it a non issue. Because i still believe Azikiwe is not President GEJ real name.
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by obiem(m): 1:17pm On Jul 16, 2010
mikeansy:

Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi

David Alechenu Mark

all these are names that cross geographical boundaries

I agree with that of Amaechi but Mark? Alechenu is an idoma name and Mark himself is Idoma
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 16, 2010
What does Alechenu mean in Idoma?
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by 006(m): 1:20pm On Jul 16, 2010
mikeansy:

If she did then it is a mistake because I don't think Dora can officially address the President in a fond name his parents used to call him, except this is actually one of his names

I have red some of  Jonathan's Biography where it was said that the fond name his parents called him was Azikiwe after Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe.

I do not know if this is officially one of his name, or whether just a fond name from a parent to a child.

But I think people are reading too much into this.

Because I have also read OBJ addressed as Mathew Aremu Okikiola Olusegun Obasanjo

How many of these is his official names and how many are just names his parents called him for fun?  So some folks should stop reading too much meanings into things.

Some of General Ike Nwachukwu's name include Umar Sanda and they are usually called in public. So lets not read too much into this. It means nothing.

I think fond names are usually a short form of an actual name of a person like Emy, Ify, Chiboy, etc. I have 3 names and some of my siblings didn't know about it. I only found out from my birth certificate but that name is never used.

Anyway, I think Azikiwe is one of his official names; many non-Igbo folks sometimes bear Igbo names because their (grand) mothers are Igbo.
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 16, 2010
006:

I think fond names are usually a short form of an actual name of a person like Emy, Ify, Chiboy, etc. I have 3 names and some of my siblings didn't know about it. I only found out from my birth certificate but that name is never used.

Anyway, I think Azikiwe is one of his official names; many non-Igbo folks sometimes bear Igbo names because their (grand) mothers are Igbo.

You may be right as well.

I really don't know why the quest to shoot down the fact that Jonathan may have an Igbo middle name. It simply does not mean anything politically.

Those of us who grew up in PH get it when we hear it. Okrika, Kalagbari, Ijaw are filled with women marrried from Igbo tribes and a lot of children from these areas have alternative Igbo names.
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by obiem(m): 1:28pm On Jul 16, 2010
mikeansy:

What does Alechenu mean in Idoma?

U're correct Alechenu is Tiv not Idoma
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 16, 2010
obiem:

I don't think I am actually arguing. I want to know what Alechenu in David Mark's name means to ascertain whether it does cross boundaries or not. It does mean something to me in Igbo, if you tell me the meaning in David Mark's language I will know if it has nothing to do with what I thought it meant.

Because the Igbos, Igalas, Tivs, and most of the South South people including Ikwere, Calabar, Ijaw have same ancestry if you look at the lineages.

They originate from a group of wandering tribes refered to as the "Kwa People". Ignore the ignorant hate that obtains these days amongst these tribes these days. But that is the truth.

1 Like

Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by JOKYTECH(f): 4:27pm On Jul 16, 2010
Abegi, na so this woman dey talk, na so she still first call Jonathan Ebele, Though I still heard the broadcast wen she called the name Azikiwe. But Jonathan answered press men wen ask on that by saying, it was given to him by his grandmother after Dr Nnmadi Azikiwe.
Madam too talk
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 16, 2010
obiem:

You're wrong. Alechenu is an Idoma. Means something that comes unexpectedly. Just confirm that from an Idoma colleague. grin.

Nobody is trying to take away anything from him. If he likes let them call him Ayodele, Sheu or anyone they fancy. The issue is that someone is trying to make political capital out of the name.
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by RoadStar: 12:56am On Jul 17, 2010
Has GEJ refuted the names ?
Will u sit down and stay quiet as president while your minister of info calls u by names that r not urs.
What about the Ebele in his name.
Dora as an Igbo woman has done this on more than one ocassion.

The first time she did it was when she announced the desolution of the FEC.
Still she got re-appointed.

While I agree it is just a name, the only problem is that we come from a nation where anything  Igbo is unfashionable.
That is y we see people with names like Emeka Okafor, Chike Igwe, Nnana Dibia not being igbos.
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by Okijajuju1(m): 1:02am On Jul 17, 2010
I am also Alusi-na-ta-Agu Okija JujuTM. tongue
Re: Akunyili Refers To President As Goodluck Ebele 'azikiwe' Jonathan? by udezue(m): 1:29am On Jul 17, 2010
Dora won't call him Azikiwe if that is not his name. I have 5 names and just found out about 1 of em when I got a copy of my birth certificate so yes Jonathan Ebele Azikiwe Goodluck are his legal names until he says NO.

(1) (Reply)

Acn Rejects National Assembly Election Results In Kwara / The National Good Governance Tour Of Kogi State. / Rivers State Government Completes Third Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.