Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,276 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

Investing In Insurance In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Investing In Insurance In Nigeria (5664 Views)

The Role Insurance In Nigerian Economy / How Does One Cope As A Marketer In Insurance Company? / Insurance In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by jill(f): 6:18pm On Apr 08, 2007
Hi guys,

Please i need some advice. What do you think about investing in the insurance sector.
Oceanic bank or Diamond Bank - which is a better buy?
I read something on Dangote returning money invested in shares to the public. How do you get your share cert. or find out if you are one of the affected?
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by cashflowpc(m): 6:52pm On Apr 08, 2007
I think Oceanic Bank Is OK.
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by egoldman(m): 4:39am On Apr 09, 2007
if you can ,get cornerstone stocks .
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by LondonCool(m): 8:03am On Apr 09, 2007
egoldman:

if you can ,get cornerstone stocks .

Could you kindly explin why Cornerstone Insurance should be the prefered Stock in the Insurance sector-any Inside information ?
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by egoldman(m): 11:38am On Apr 09, 2007
I don't really have any inside info, but with the following finds that i have made about cornerstone ,i personally feel that the stock might be undervalued at the moment ;

Cornerstone

Its the most sought after insurance stock on the NSE .

Joint owners of oaks pension limited with express discount limited

Its the most sought after stock in the insurance sector

In partnership with some reputable international insurance companies as listed below ;

* Swiss Reinsurance Corporation
* Africa Reinsurance Corporation
* Continental Reinsurance Company Ltd
* Universe Reinsurance Company Ltd
* Globe Reinsurance Company Ltd

This i think would help them in underwriting customers claims easily .

There five year financial report isn't bad too .

with the above details i personally feel that the stock is undervalued and when they declare their profit margin ,people would rush for the stock and the price would go up by then .Of because i could be proved wrong but this is my view .
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by LondonCool(m): 12:24pm On Apr 09, 2007
Thanks for the info
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by egoldman(m): 1:00pm On Apr 09, 2007
welcome .
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by Tmoni(m): 2:10pm On Apr 09, 2007
bought some conerstone last year,
is it advisable to acquire some more now?
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by egoldman(m): 3:58pm On Apr 09, 2007
I think you should ,after the recent consolidation in the insurance sector ,its expected that the profit margins of most insurance companies would do well and when that happens the stocks are likely to go up ,just my 1 cents .
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by thandie: 9:08pm On Apr 10, 2007
A friend recommended Niger Insurance. Says they are the First bank of Insurance ie. conservative and a sure winner.
What do you think??
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by egoldman(m): 12:22am On Apr 11, 2007
Some good news about Cornerstone Insurance ;

Shareholders approve ACA equity stake in Cornerstone

SHAREHOLDERS of Cornerstone Insurance Plc in a unanimous decision at a well attended extra-ordinary general meeting approved the equity injection of N3.4 billion ($26 million) into the company by African Capital Alliance thus raising authorised share capital of the company to N5 billion.

Leading shareholders of the company who spoke at the meeting including Mr. Sunny Nwosu, co-ordinator, Independent Shareholders Association of Nigeria, Chief Timothy Adesiyan of Nigerian Shareholders Solidarity Association among others, urged the new investors to bring to bear their expertise, international reach wealth of experience and financial power by way of enhancing shareholder's value.

Nwosu, while expressing confidence and attesting to theethical pedigree of the new investors, however, urged them "not to do anything that will jeopardise the interest of shareholders. We want you to add value as you have done in all companies you have substantial investment stake and make appreciable returns on investments for those of who have invested in this company."

On his part, Adesiyan urged African Alliance to drive the insurance sector with their participation in Cornerstone and grow in particular, the company to greater heights considering the good brand equity the company possesses, even as he urged that the Cornerstone brand should not be tampered with.

Buoyed by additional funds from the leading investment firm, Capital Alliance, Cornerstone is set to embark on aggressive business and human capital development to enhance its competitive edge nation-wide.

Capital Alliance Private Equity II Limited Investment emerged as core investor in Cornerstone after injecting N3.4 billion ($26 million) into the latter.

Capital Alliance has links with the renowned African Capital Alliance, a foremost investment fund with international affiliation with the International Finance Corporation (IFC) capitalised to the tune of N5.5 billion.

Cornerstone Insurance was among the first set of underwriters that recently received clearance from the National Insurance Commission (NAICOM) to operate both life and general insurance business.

Capital Alliance's investment in Cornerstone Insurance marks the first of its kind in the Nigerian insurance market, a development analyst hinged on the company's track record and brand equity in Nigeria's insurance sector. It was gathered that the consistent rise of Cornerstone's share price on the Nigerian Stock Exchange in the last few weeks even before it was re-certified by NAICOM to write both life and non-life business also endeared Cornerstone to Capital Alliance.

Meanwhile, there are strong indications that Cornerstone has signed a technical partnership with a foreign technical partner, to boost its operational capacity, processes, IT deployment, world class expertise and human capital and business development.

Financial analysts are of the view that the entry of Capital Alliance will introduce marked and radical changes in the sector's approach to investments and asset management. He noted that the involvement of leading foreign investors in the insurance industry signifies a "vote of confidence" in the insurance industry.

According to our source, "Capital Alliance is bringing expertise and global best practices to the Cornerstone brand, which they intend to propel to groups of companies that will diversify under the Cornerstone Insurance Group.

Market analysts add that Capital Alliance also seeks to maintain a family of specific-industry funds that seek to make equity-related investment in various sectors of the Nigerian economy. With track record of consistent returns on investment from its various enterprises, Capital Alliance Private Equity II Investment Limited, also has substantial and thriving interests in leading business organisations including MTN, BusinessDay Media, ABC Transport, and Oakwood Park, owners of Protea Group of Hotels among others.

source ; http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/insurance/article04
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 3:03am On Apr 11, 2007
How can one purchase this insurance, for some of us living abroad? I dont want to miss this opportunity.
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by egoldman(m): 8:17am On Apr 11, 2007
Ndipe , I dont leave in Nigeria but i have bought and would still buy more insurance stocks or any stock for that matter ,i deal with cashcraft and can monitor my account details online ,i can also place order for buying or selling of stocks on my behalf online ,if you would like to know more or the conhtact of my account manager ,i would be glad to provide you same .
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 10:44am On Apr 11, 2007
Yeah@egold, I would appreciate any information on how to register an account with cashcraft. How much are their fees? Do you pay taxes on your returns back home? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by naijafresh: 2:50pm On Apr 11, 2007
@egoldman

Hi egold
I also have a cashcraft account which i opened from the UK in Feb 2007.
The online dealing facility doesnt work have you been using this facility recently?
I also find them very slow to carry out my transactions even though i have direct contact with a Broker

Can you send me the details of your account manager please, i don' think i am getting a good service and i am about to change brokers altogether

Cheers
N'Fresh
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by jill(f): 8:57pm On Apr 11, 2007
getting me some cornerstone stocks soon as possible. grin

May be a worthwhile medium to long term investment.
What else is good guys?
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by egoldman(m): 10:35pm On Apr 11, 2007
Contact me on yahoo messenger as denchuks and i will give u the contact of my account manager there ,she would help you with whatever info u may need .
you may email me too denchuks@gmail.com
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by barge(m): 8:53pm On Apr 12, 2007
Dear all ,

here is a list of the best optins 4 ur money ,

Crusader insurance
Niger insurance
AIICO
Cornerstone.
Personally , i prefer cornerstone because of its growth prospects and the probability of capital appreciation.The company has solid management and has been growing consistently for the past decade.However dont buy at any price.The others are all very solid firms.
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by Lagoseko(m): 1:40pm On Apr 13, 2007
Men dnt be carried away by all what u are told. The best in the insurance industry is IGi. They come after NICON. They are currently selling private placement though wld stop soon. But they are going to sell shares to the public soon.
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by 4Play(m): 5:38pm On Apr 13, 2007
Lagoseko:

Men dnt be carried away by all what u are told. The best in the insurance industry is IGi. They come after NICON. They are currently selling private placement though would stop soon. But they are going to sell shares to the public soon.

Do you have any idea when they will be listing?
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by barge(m): 9:45pm On Apr 13, 2007
@Lagoseko
u are correct that IGI is a solid firm, the options i gave are by no means exclusive .I think the purpose of this forum is 2 share ideas so everyone gets beta. i am not carried away by any hype ,and if i ever do guys like u will help wake me up. more ideas please ! A big shout 2 everyone in da house !
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by Jonlafrika(m): 9:55am On Apr 16, 2007
egoldman, how u dey? kindly post the web adresses where you monitor stocks
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by Tmoni(m): 10:09am On Apr 16, 2007
just spoke with my broker and he said i should 4get about IGI and opted me to buy Intercontinental Homes and Savings (if i wanted to go for a private placement).

i just found out that i got cornerstone for an average of N2.70, i wonder when i will make a pile on it.
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by egoldman(m): 10:21pm On Apr 17, 2007
Jonlafrika:

egoldman, how u dey? kindly post the web adresses where you monitor stocks
\

here http://www.cashcraft.com/pricelistprint.asp
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by slimayuus(m): 4:08pm On Apr 19, 2007
Could someone please tell me why Guinea Assurance is still .72kobo if it is true that it met the requirements of the recapitalisation exercise. Am I missing something?
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by windywendy(f): 10:11pm On Apr 20, 2007
slimayuus:

Could someone please tell me why Guinea Assurance is still .72kobo if it is true that it met the requirements of the recapitalisation exercise. Am I missing something?

If you dig a little deeper into Guinea Assurance, you'll find that the core investor (an individual) has long been associated with doing shady deals and is right now under investigation for fraud in the US. Most people stay away from companies run by people like that . . .
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by slimayuus(m): 11:15pm On Apr 20, 2007
windywendy, Thanks
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by binbaz(m): 12:17pm On Oct 13, 2007
i want start insurance policy in order to get lump sum for my future investment, is this idea sound good, if yes wich insurance company should i start with. because i'm a new
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by BENALA: 4:19am On Oct 14, 2007
insurance stock is the next to wash out for when their fund is finally released. so take position in any of them, but look for their year low and high price.
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by ondataker(m): 11:30pm On Oct 26, 2007
picking up a policy is different from investing in their shares. picking up a right policy has to do with your reason for picking it. If you can answer the question, WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PROTECT?, then it will be easier to guide you as to which company to take with. You must know that no two insurance companies have the same type of policies so it is almost impossible to tell you to take a policy from the company perspective. If you'd like me to guide you on the above subject, kindly contact me through ayoabioye@yahoo.com and I'll give you professional advise on the best way of securing a comfortable future for yourself and your loved ones
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by haywhy2k1(m): 6:53pm On Feb 22, 2008
Kindly bear with me as this is off the topic

Can anyone give me a step by step procedure of installing a second (new) hard disk in my PC
Re: Investing In Insurance In Nigeria by SavvyLanre: 3:14pm On Mar 07, 2008
Did i hear someone say i deal with Cashcraft,

Be aware of the instigation on CASHTHIEVES

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-118241.0.html#msg2032949

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are Your Plans For Retirement? / How to Earn Money from The Business Section (And Make It More Valuable For You) / How To Get A Foreign Buyer For Your Product Easly Without Leaving Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.