Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,252 members, 7,780,528 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:53 PM

Mocking God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mocking God? (24983 Views)

Starbucks Repulsive Advert Mocking Jesus / Are This People Mocking Daddy Kumuyi? / Stop Mocking God(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mocking God? by layi(m): 2:42pm On Jan 07, 2006
Never doubt the Word of God!!!

Make a personal reflection about this. Very interesting, read until the end...

" Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." (Galatians 6:7)

Here are some men and women who mocked God:

JOHN LENNON:
Some years before during his interview with an American Magazine, he said: "Christianity will end, it will disappear. I do not have to argue about that. I am certain. Jesus was ok, but his subjects were too simple, Today we are more famous than Him" (1966)".
Lennon, after saying that the Beatles were more  famous than Jesus Christ, was shot six times.

TANCREDO NEVES:
During the Presidential campaign, he said if he got 500 votes from his party, not even God would remove him from Presidency.
Sure he got the votes, but he got sick a day before being made President, then he  died.

CAZUZA:
During a show in Canecão ( Rio de Janeiro ), whilst smoking his cigarette, he puffed out some smoke into the air and said: God, that's for you.
I can't even explain how he died.

THE MAN WHO BUILT TITANIC:
After the construction of Titanic, a reporter asked him how safe the Titanic would be. With an ironic tone he said: "Not even God can sink it"

The result: I think you all know what happened to the Titanic.

MARILYN MONROE:
She was visited by Billy Graham during a presentation of a show. He is a preacher and
Evangelist and the Spirit of God had sent him to preach to her.
After hearing what the Preacher had to say, she said:
"I don't need your Jesus"

A week later, she was found dead in her apartment.

BON SCOTT:
The ex-vocalist of the AC/DC. On one of his 1979  songs he sang:
"Don´t stop me, I´m going down all the way, wow the highway to hell".
On the 19th of February 1980, Bon Scott was found dead, he had been choked by his vomit.

CAMPINAS/SP IN 2005
In Campinas, a group of friends, drunk, went to pick up a friend. The mother accompanied her to the car and was so worried about the drunkenness of her friends and she said to the daughter - holding her hand, who was already seated in the car: "MY DAUGHTER, GO WITH GOD AND MAY HE PROTECT YOU",

She responded: ONLY IF HE (GOD) TRAVELS IN THE BOOT, COZ INSIDE HERE IT'S ALREADY FULL"

Hours later, news came by that they had been involved in a fatal accident, everyone had died, the car could not be recognized what type of car it had been, but surprisingly, the boot was intact.

The police said there was no way the boot could have remained intact. To their surprise, inside the boot was a crate of eggs, none was broken.

Many more important people have forgotten that there is no other name that was given so much authority as the name of Jesus. Many have died, but only Jesus  died and rose again, and he is still alive. JESUS!!!

To Some Nairaland forumites here might read this piece and say "GOD is mean"...but like i always say Mean or mean...it point to the fact that there actualy is a GOD. He is just...unquestionable. He is almighty. To all u who mock him 'Be careful'.

I ask again "What can man give in exchange of his soul?" (Mathew 16:26).

Be wise, think twice.
Re: Mocking God? by Seun(m): 2:52pm On Jan 07, 2006
Layi, Layi. Unsubstantiated stories. You have forgotten that Tai Solarin "mocked" more than anybody else and he lived longer than almost every Nigerian pastor that we know. Maybe we should ban unverified miracle stories just the same way NBC banned unverified miracle broadcasts?
Re: Mocking God? by layi(m): 2:58pm On Jan 07, 2006
U seem shortsighted Seun. Unsubstantiated? Give me a break. These are famous people. Why don't u do a google search first before jumping into castigating my post.

****U read in between the lines in your everyday conversation but when it comes to god..u always expect to "hear from the horses mouth"

****U watch news everyday and believe what the newscaster says without battin a lid but when it comes to GOD. Y'all say its a lie. And when its being coorroborated Y'all want to see proofs and when u eventually see the proofs, y'all attribute it to something else...maybe coincidence. Its your line of thought and i'm not surprised.

I hardly barely finished posting before u replied. Why are u anti-GOD by the way? Did he fail at a point?

You have forgotten that Tai Solarin "mocked" more than anybody else and he lived longer than almost every Nigerian pastor that we know
U've also forgotten that a lot of people survived liposuction at d very hospital where Stella Oabsanjo died. Does that discredit the fact that she died of liposuction.

Even if Tai died at 1000yrs..how r u sure it still wasnt mockery that finished him?
I am not insinuatin a thing here but your case also doesnt hold water.
Re: Mocking God? by IAH(f): 3:11pm On Jan 07, 2006
But what about people who believe in God and still die all the kinds of death you've mentioned? I mean, believers do have accidents, get shot and die other mysterious deaths too. Don't get me wrong, I do believe God but what I'm saying is that these points don't make unbelievers see any reason to believe.
Re: Mocking God? by layi(m): 3:13pm On Jan 07, 2006
@IAH
It sure points to the fact that GOD exists.
When he's benevolent, unbelievers say its not HIM but mere coincidence. But when he's judgemental, unbelievers say He's mean.
Re: Mocking God? by Seun(m): 4:31pm On Jan 07, 2006
Yes, what about bimbo Odukoya. Did she mock God too? Give us a break!
Re: Mocking God? by Seun(m): 4:32pm On Jan 07, 2006
And what about Ben Idahosa who died of a heart attack at a very young age? Or Bishop Oluputaife (I think) who was killed by Robbers?
Re: Mocking God? by nferyn(m): 4:36pm On Jan 07, 2006
And the point of these highly selective anecdotes is?

Have a look at this:
http://moses.creighton.edu/jrs/2005/2005-11.html
Re: Mocking God? by layi(m): 4:44pm On Jan 07, 2006
@nferyn
Been expecting u  wink

@Seun
U are a pastor don't mean u can't die of heart attacks. There is a big diff betw beign a christian and being a pastor. All christians aint pastors and all pastors aint christians(the lives they lead is only know to them).
I learnt of a case where a pastor (after an energy sapping sermon) said "I can die of high blood pressure with all these tasks" and he actually died of it shortly?
Dont misconstrue my points.
The hand writing is on the wall and i'm yet to see a better explanation to those scenarios above that the fact that GOD was behind it sum way.
Re: Mocking God? by nferyn(m): 5:08pm On Jan 07, 2006
I have a better explanation: pure chance.
Re: Mocking God? by layi(m): 5:34pm On Jan 07, 2006
cheesy..and u r sure its a better one?
Re: Mocking God? by Logical(m): 5:39pm On Jan 07, 2006
Mocking God entails directly making fun or God or abusing God in a way. I have not seen that yet? All I have read so far in threads under this category are directed towards curiousity to know. Questions being asked, does not mean attack? Or Layi meant something else?

Dont know. I am still yet to read articles of relation to "mocking God" as in the context of Layi's concerns.
Re: Mocking God? by nferyn(m): 6:58pm On Jan 07, 2006
layi:

cheesy..and you're sure its a better one?
Yes, something that has no imediate cause exists by definition through chance. Now, if you insert a causal mechanism (God), then you need to:
1. explain the existance and working of that mechanism
2. prove that that mechanism caused the event
Re: Mocking God? by nicetohave(m): 6:59pm On Jan 07, 2006
Seun:

And what about Ben Idahosa who died of a heart attack at a very young age? Or Bishop Oluputaife (I think) who was killed by Robbers?
Seun:

Yes, what about bimbo Odukoya. Did she mock God too? Give us a break!
Seun:

Layi, Layi. Unsubstantiated stories. You have forgotten that Tai Solarin "mocked" more than anybody else and he lived longer than almost every Nigerian pastor that we know. Maybe we should ban unverified miracle stories just the same way NBC banned unverified miracle broadcasts?

this is not personal attack on seun's posts but i find they are a lesser form of mockery, or should i call it accusation.......of whom? id explain:

To start with, if its our time to go then its our time to go.......how you die becomes insignificant, let me explain:

Kathryn Kuhlman, the woman behind the miracles died after open heart surgery, before the surgery he asked his friends at her bedside not to pray for her, why? because she saw the heavensare already open waiting for her

Smith Wigglespwrth, the greatest faith healer wept after he received an invitation to preach in switzerland, why? he made a statement that "the eyes of the whole world are on me" immediately he stated the spirit of God told him its time for him to be removed from the scene, his glory shall he share with no man.

Marion Braham, a man greatly annointed of God, died in a fatal car accident, his wife (presumed dead on the spot) was raised back to life after his requested his hands be placed on her, patients at the emergency dept of the hospital he died gave testimonies of their healings as the man of God was being wheeled in to the hospital

A.A Allen,a healing evangelist who by merely introducing himself to the demon afflicted "lady look at me, i am A.A Allen" is all he says to get the demons to leave, died of acute alcoholic fatty Liver, after he drowned himself with a strong dose of alcohol, he was in severe pain from his athritis and was on his way to preaching at a maeeting.

David Brainard, the man who prayed for the revival of scotland "God give me scotland or i die" died at the age of 24 of TB

These are examples amongst many of Men of God, who i like to refer to as God's Generals, how they died, what is more important is how they lived, now i believe all these men/women of God are in heaven with God now, without an aiota of doubt, including idahosa and Bimbo odukoya........what is important however is the need and reason for God to take them home at time he did, not necessarily the way they died.

Tai Solarin did not die a critic, he mocked God and his ways, yes, but wasnt it written that God is longsuffering to us ward so that we can change out ways and not perish, God does not delight in striking to death a sinner so he spares him more time to reconsider his/her ways.
Re: Mocking God? by ijebuman(m): 10:48pm On Jan 07, 2006
ah so this is the source of the urban myths in the other thread  grin
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-3833.288.html#msg159882

i think we've covered the John Lennon and Titanic part, can investigate the rest if Layi can provide the source of his information
Re: Mocking God? by Nnenna1(f): 11:27pm On Jan 07, 2006
Hmm...

I don't know if John Lennon et al did say something bad about God and Jesus and that they died as a result, so I'm not going to butt in and say that they did and God punished them. But even if they did, why would God, in a moment of fury, kill them off, just to prove himself? That god sounds more like a five year old kid to me. There're many other people who have made worse statements and have lived to tell the tale.  There're many christians who join cults and do despicable things behind the veils of  "Jesus Garments." When it is time to die, you die. You get punished in the afterlife if you are an unrepentant sinner or a bad person. This is what we believe.

I'm not saying I know God, but I believe we should not praise the power of God over the tragic deaths of people, no matter what we believe. You also forget that Titanic also inhabited peaceful, God-loving people who died in it, or that john lennon had a wife and friends who would miss him, or that marilyn monroe was suffering bouts of depression that might have warranted what she said (if that was true). So, just don't jump into conclusions. You're giving others a reason to belittle you.

Yes, I know that descecrating holy territories aren't exactly nice, be it in the religious or social sense. (Go on national television and talk loosely about black activists, then see the reaction). But guys, come on! It doesn't really help. We should not rejoice over things like this, and that is even if they are true.

As for those who laugh at us, please know that what you consider as laughable and superstitious are what we hold dear and love. Urban beliefs are laughable but the root thoughts of those, especially as it concerns belief, are not. Sometimes the religious need to be respected for what they believe in as you do. You would not take it if we laugh at your beliefs, so don't laugh at us. It's not nice.

whew!  tongue said my piece!
Re: Mocking God? by nferyn(m): 12:23am On Jan 08, 2006
John Lennon wasn't mocking God or Jesus at all. He made the factual statement that The Beatles were more popular than Jesus when alive, that's all.
Re: Mocking God? by prettyH(f): 1:15am On Jan 08, 2006
nferyn:

John Lennon wasn't mocking God or Jesus at all. He made the factual statement that The Beatles were more popular than Jesus when alive, that's all.

Yep.........and we know how his life ended.
Re: Mocking God? by nicetohave(m): 1:46am On Jan 08, 2006
cool
Re: Mocking God? by KAG: 4:25am On Jan 08, 2006
My response in the other thread, equally valid here.

[Quote]
Mayb this will make u have a re-think

JOHN LENNON
Some years before during his interview with an American Magazine, he said:
"Christianity will end, it will disappear. I do not have to argue about that. I am certain. Jesus was ok, but his subjects were too simple, Today we are more famous than Him" (1966)".
Lennon, after saying that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, was shot six times.[/Quote]

Lennon died about 14 years after that statement. If your psychotic God wanted to prove something, Lennon would have died immediately after he made that statement, from a bolt of lightening or something like that.

[Quote]
TANCREDO NEVES
During the Presidential campaign, he said if he got 500 votes from his party, not even God would remove him from Presidency. Sure he got the votes, but he got sick a day before being made President, then he died.[/Quote]

Here's a thought, how about you provide a worthy source that shows Neves saying the above.

[Quote]
CAZUZA
During a show in Canecão ( Rio de Janeiro ), whilst smoking his cigarette, he puffed out some smoke into the air and said: God, that's for you.
I can't even explain how he died.[/Quote]

Who the flying f**k is Cazuza?

[Quote]
THE MAN WHO BUILT TITANIC
After the construction of Titanic, a reporter asked him how safe the Titanic would be. With an ironic tone he said: "Not even God can sink it"
The result: I think you all know what happened to the Titanic.[/Quote]

Kudos to the poster that posted the snopes link.

[Quote]
MARILYN MONROE
She was visited by Billy Graham during a presentation of a show. He is a preacher and Evangelist and the Spirit of God had sent him to preach to her.
After hearing what the Preacher had to say, she said:
"I don't need your Jesus"
A week later, she was found dead in her apartment.[/Quote]

Codswallop.

[Quote]
BON SCOTT
The ex-vocalist of the AC/DC. On one of his 1979 songs he sang:
"Don´t stop me, I´m going down all the way, wow the highway to
hell".
On the 19th of February 1980, Bon Scott was found dead, he had been choked by his vomit.[/Quote]

...and XTC sang "the father, son and holy ghost, Is just somebody’s unholy hoax", they are all still alive.

[Quote]
CAMPINAS/SP IN 2005
In Campinas, a group of friends, drunk, went to pick up a friend. The mother accompanied her to the car and was so worried about the drunkenness of her friends and she said to the daughter - holding her hand, who was already seated in the car: "MY DAUGHTER, GO WITH GOD AND MAY HE PROTECT YOU",
She responded: ONLY IF HE (GOD) TRAVELS IN THE BOOT, COZ INSIDE HERE IT'S ALREADY FULL"
Hours later, news came by that they had been involved in a fatal accident, everyone had died, the car could not be recognized what type of car it had been, but surprisingly, the boot was intact.
The police said there was no way the boot could have remained intact. To their surprise, inside the boot was a crate of eggs, none was broken.[/Quote]

In Hope Springs, a group of friends, drunk went to pick some friends. The mother accompanied her to the car and was so worried about the drunkenness of her friends and she said to the daughter - holding her hand, who was already seated in the car: "MY DAUGHTER, GO WITH ZEUS AND MAY HE PROTECT YOU",
She responded: ONLY IF HE (ZEUS) TRAVELS IN THE BOOT, COZ INSIDE HERE IT'S ALREADY FULL"

Hours later, news came by that they had been involved in a fatal accident, they had slammed into another car. Everybody in the other car died. The family in the other car were all ardent christians on their way from church, however the strangest thing was that their pastor had prophesied that the year would be their year of "prosperity and breakthrough"; yet they died.

And the girl with the Hellenist mother? She and her friends survived the accident without a scratch, she (the girl) later became a priestess of Zeus. Unfortunately all the eggs she had in her boot broke, so she bought another crate.

Up ZEUS, up APOLLO!
Re: Mocking God? by KAG: 4:30am On Jan 08, 2006

They were both mocking Brahma, so Brahma took care of them. Mockest thou not the almighty Brahma.
Re: Mocking God? by ijebuman(m): 4:49am On Jan 08, 2006
Nnenna1:

I don't know if John Lennon et al did say something bad about God and Jesus and that they died as a result, so I'm not going to butt in and say that they did and God punished them. But even if they did, why would God, in a moment of fury, kill them off, just to prove himself? That god sounds more like a five year old kid to me. There're many other people who have made worse statements and have lived to tell the tale. There're many christians who join cults and do despicable things behind the veils of "Jesus Garments." When it is time to die, you die. You get punished in the afterlife if you are an unrepentant sinner or a bad person. This is what we believe.

I'm not saying I know God, but I believe we should not praise the power of God over the tragic deaths of people, no matter what we believe. You also forget that Titanic also inhabited peaceful, God-loving people who died in it, or that john lennon had a wife and friends who would miss him, or that marilyn monroe was suffering bouts of depression that might have warranted what she said (if that was true). So, just don't jump into conclusions. You're giving others a reason to belittle you.

Yes, I know that descecrating holy territories aren't exactly nice, be it in the religious or social sense. (Go on national television and talk loosely about black activists, then see the reaction). But guys, come on! It doesn't really help. We should not rejoice over things like this, and that is even if they are true.

As for those who laugh at us, please know that what you consider as laughable and superstitious are what we hold dear and love. Urban beliefs are laughable but the root thoughts of those, especially as it concerns belief, are not. Sometimes the religious need to be respected for what they believe in as you do. You would not take it if we laugh at your beliefs, so don't laugh at us. It's not nice.

Nnenna1 thanks for your post, you're a breath of fresh air on this forum. smiley
Re: Mocking God? by lifexpress(m): 5:40am On Jan 08, 2006
Where is your song of freedom? Life is like a song, with a beginning and ending, but you can sing a unique tune, so sweet, that your melody touches the skies. What would your song of freedom be? No wonder the Lord said the kingdom of God is within you and you and you! Listen to your heart and discover your song of freedom.
We all come to this life to do different duties for God; when and how we leave is also a part of that duty, if you don't allow anger, greed, lust, vanity and undue attachment to your possessions shoe you away from your spiritual destiny!

If you do, no big deal you just reincarnate and continue from where you left off!
Re: Mocking God? by prettyH(f): 2:28pm On Jan 08, 2006
Lennon died about 14 years after that statement. If your [b]psychotic [/b]God wanted to prove something, Lennon would have died immediately after he made that statement, from a bolt of lightening or something like that.

God isn't psychotic. Be careful what u say.
Re: Mocking God? by nicetohave(m): 2:53pm On Jan 08, 2006
PrettyH, i would have simply said, "God is not psychotic" let he who wants to be reckless with thier mouth againt their creator continue to do so, over the ages people on their dying beds have cried bitterly how they have lived a wasted life in alienation against God, the only problem is it will be too late, their mockery has led them to a place where there wont be a second chance.
Re: Mocking God? by KAG: 4:21pm On Jan 08, 2006
God isn't psychotic. Be careful what u say

If the shoe fits.... In my opinion, the christian God is either non-existent, and has been used to justify a lot of unethical practises; exists, and is just as monstorous and laden with psychotic episodes, as many christians have presented him; or he/she has been sorely misrepresented by the many that claimed to have spoken for him/her. As far as I'm concerned, the initial seems closest to the truth.
Re: Mocking God? by nicetohave(m): 4:24pm On Jan 08, 2006
KAG:

If the shoe fits.... In my opinion, the christian God is either non-existent, and has been used to justify a lot of unethical practises; exists, and is just as monstorous and laden with psychotic episodes, as many christians have presented him; or he/she has been sorely misrepresented by the many that claimed to have spoken for him/her. As far as I'm concerned, the initial seems closest to the truth.

can you site as many unethical practises as you can please? and the monstorus and psychotic episodes, so we can dissect it together and see whats underneath?
Re: Mocking God? by KAG: 5:08pm On Jan 08, 2006
can you site as many unethical practises as you can please? and the monstorus and psychotic episodes, so we can dissect it together and see whats underneath?

A few examples: the whole world wide flood episode in Genesis (only applies to literalists)

Then the hardening of Pharaoh's heart, resulting in the death of "all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon" (exodus 12:29).

Done in the name of YHVH, Joshua 7:24; "...and his sons, and his daughters, and his oxen, and his asses, and his sheep, and his tent, and all that he had: and they brought them unto the valley of Achor.

25And Joshua said, Why hast thou troubled us? the LORD shall trouble thee this day. And all Israel stoned him with stones, and burned them with fire, after they had stoned them with stones.

and finally one modern episode as claimed by prominent christian: God smiting Sharon for ...erm... dividing "his" land http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1475112&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312
Re: Mocking God? by nicetohave(m): 5:54pm On Jan 08, 2006
Pls KAG, which is which? are you saying these references are not true, or they are unethical? if you say they are unethical what makes them so?

Pat Robertson statement is a personal opinion, the article reads "suggests" now if that is true or not i dont know, i am not in the habit of supporting unsubstantiated comments, so i wont defend that, but we'll focus on the cited bible references..........shall we?
Re: Mocking God? by Nnenna1(f): 6:51pm On Jan 08, 2006
I'm suprised that this issue of God's punishment/existence/non-existence/psychosis/powerful-ability is still going on, and heated too. I'm not going to be precise about what I think, because I will be biased due to my beliefs. But please, guys, it's enough rolleyes. We all sound like elementary school kids bickering over ice-cream. Everyone: believe what you want to believe, and that's it. It going to be very hard for an athiest to change a devout christian, and it's going to be very hard to change an athiest to a christian. Miracles will not convince an athiest, logic will not convince a christian, both believe in two seperate things and will not change even if their counter-beliefs smacked them in the face.

It's all a matter of faith in both sides (yes, atheism, too is a religion [in a way] and requires dogmatic faith, as christiainity). And it's only when doubt begins in the minds of both that there is change. Nothing more.

And using unrealiable urban legends to prove christianity only makes athiests laugh, so does using scientific proofs too prove cases to a christian--although science is a firm institution, it is never stable. In 200 years, scientists will discard and even mock our theories and findings, the same way we do the ones before us.

But I have a feeling that what I will say will make no difference, and you guys will just keep it up.
Re: Mocking God? by kaylala(m): 7:07pm On Jan 08, 2006
I think Layi and others in this forum need to follow this thread wink

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-3833.0.html
Re: Mocking God? by nferyn(m): 7:12pm On Jan 08, 2006
Nnenna1:

[SNIP]
It's all a matter of faith in both sides (yes, atheism, too is a religion [in a way] and requires dogmatic faith, as christiainity). And it's only when doubt begins in the minds of both that there is change. Nothing more.
Can you give me one instance where atheism requires dogmatic faith? I know of none.

Nnenna1:

And using unrealiable urban legends to prove christianity only makes athiests laugh, so does using scientific proofs too prove cases to a christian--although science is a firm institution, it is never stable. In 200 years, scientists will discard and even mock our theories and findings, the same way we do the ones before us.
That depends on which sciences you are talking about. This is probably true for physics, but it is highly unlikely for the natural historical sciences (geology, biology)

Nnenna1:

But I have a feeling that what I will say will make no difference, and you guys will just keep it up.
The problem is that some Christians consider every and any form of questioning to be mocking. I have never mocked of anybody's religion on this board. I have asked questions and dismissed unsound arguments, but I have never mocked their religion. If I would have done so by mistake, I hereby appologise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Modele Fatoyinbo, Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo's Wife Celebrates Her Birthday / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: You’re Far Above Principalities / 5 Common Ways God Can Speak To You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.