Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,806 members, 7,802,577 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:37 PM

Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion (13966 Views)

Xenophobia: South Africa Condemns Nigeria's Decision To Recall Its Ambassador / See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / 2013 Xenophobia Video In South African (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by jot01(m): 6:35pm On Jul 17, 2010
Hey NL,
We Nigerians in SOUTH AFRICA has been hearing news about this Xenophobia Attacks.

We had they gonna start after the Worldcup and the news is already over its been started.

What your Opinion about this ,

Seun and Admin Please Let this be at the Home Page.

Cheers
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by jot01(m): 6:37pm On Jul 17, 2010
One dictionary definition of Xenophobia is an unreasonable fear, distrust, or hatred of strangers, foreigners, or anything perceived as foreign or different.

Xenophobia can manifest itself in several ways in a country - victimization by police, brutal assaults, murders, ethnic cleansing in an area, mass expulsion from the country.

The recent xenophobic violence in South Africa was primarily directed against foreigners living in some of the poorest urban areas of the country. However, it has also impacted on those who acquired citizenship by virtue of their specialized skills, such as medical doctors, academics, scientists and engineers. And it has also impacted on those with legitimate work an study permits, such as the tens of thousands of Mozambican mineworkers working in mines, Mathematics teachers from Zimbabwe and foreign university students.

Unfortunately, many South Africans, and not just those living in the poorest areas, are opposed to the presence of a large number of foreigners from other African countries, and they blame foreigners for may of the ills in SA, including high unemployment of locals, and crime. South Africans therefore need to do some soul searching, lest even more locals become xenophobic.

This website serves several purposes:

Contact details on organizations in SA than can assist xenophobia victims, practical information on who South Africans can assist, messages of South Africans opposed to xenophobia, messages from victims, articles on the deemed causes of xenophobia in SA, and a list of some well known immigrants and sojourners from other African countries, who have enriched or contributed to SA society. Last but not least, information is provided which outlines the negative economic impacts of xenophobia.

CALL TOLLFREE

08000REFUGEE OR 08000 733 8433
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by precap2(m): 6:11pm On Jul 18, 2010
How can the phobia start when the xeno had left. It's belated.

Holla!
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by Angelheart: 4:07pm On Jul 19, 2010
Well,

I am a South African in South Africa and yes, I did hear the rumours. Actually, it is not rumours no more, Some SOmalis' shops have been looted actually.

As a BLACK South African, I am VERY appalled and ashamed. It is even sad to learn that this was left for AFTER the world cup. So, they had to wait for the WHITE foreigners to come into the country for the four weeks and LEAVE THEN, they can attack the BLACk African foreigners. One can argue and say that they brought money into the country while illegal immigrants come in to 'steal' jobs, If ONLY they knew how FIFA will be making money out of all of us.

In a nutshell, We still have a LONG way to go, and we still dont know who our enemies are!! SAD!
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by morpheus24: 4:16pm On Jul 19, 2010
Angelheart:

Well,

I am a South African in South Africa and yes, I did hear the rumours. Actually, it is not rumours no more, Some SOmalis' shops have been looted actually.

As a BLACK South African, I am VERY appalled and ashamed. It is even sad to learn that this was left for AFTER the world cup. So, they had to wait for the WHITE foreigners to come into the country for the four weeks and LEAVE THEN, they can attack the BLACk African foreigners. One can argue and say that they brought money into the country while illegal immigrants come in to 'steal' jobs, If ONLY they knew how FIFA will be making money out of all of us.

In a nutshell, We still have a LONG way to go, and we still dont know who our enemies are!! SAD!

It shows you what you guys think of people who share the same culture, biogeography and other affinities. Its only in South Africa out of all my travels have I ever heard a derogatory term used for Africans by Africans."makwerewere". you might as well call us the N word.

Self hate is a disease. Money is the new god of reason,
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by RSA(m): 4:53pm On Jul 19, 2010
morpheus24:

It shows you what you guys think of people who share the same culture, biogeography and other affinities. Its only in South Africa out of all my travels have I ever heard a derogatory term used for Africans by Africans."makwerewere". you might as well call us the N word.

I don't think this only happens in South Africa,Africans all over the world are quick to KILL when they differ with you in opinion,culture,religion,race or country.When we are poor,we are like wild animals ready to pounce on the weakest of our society.

RSA says AFRICANS GROW,YOU'RE AN EMBARRASMENT!!
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by Angelheart: 5:18pm On Jul 19, 2010
morpheus24:

I disagree, Not ONLY in South Africa. I made that comment from my point of view as a South African. Nigerians are not exactly innocent. You lot are worse because you discriminate against your own people. Its always Igbos vs Yoruba, Edos being called witches. Christians mutilating Muslims or vice verse! So really AFRICANS need to grow up, as RSA said!!
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by jot01(m): 7:51pm On Jul 19, 2010
SOUTH AFRICANS SHOULD HAVE THE FEAR OF GOD.

NO NEED TO FIGHT OTHER PEOPLE. YOU GUYS WILL SUFFER IF FOREIGNERS LEAVE YOUR COUNTRY,

WE PAY TAXES AND ALL THAT,

IMAGINE YOUR SAME BLACK, WHY CANT YOU SEND OYINBO PEOPLE BACK OR INDIANS,

INDIANS ARE EVEN CELEBRATING 150YEARS IN SOUTH AFRICA, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

INDIANS RULES SOUTH AFRICA, SOUTH AFRICANS BLACKS CAN NEVER DO ANYTHING TO THEM,, NEVER,

ITS ONLY YOUR OWN BROTHER YOU FIGHTING,

SHAME,
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by morpheus24: 7:53pm On Jul 19, 2010
jot01:

SOUTH AFRICANS SHOULD HAVE THE FEAR OF GOD.

NO NEED TO FIGHT OTHER PEOPLE. YOU GUYS WILL SUFFER IF FOREIGNERS LEAVE YOUR COUNTRY,

WE PAY TAXES AND ALL THAT,

IMAGINE YOUR SAME BLACK, WHY CANT YOU SEND OYINBO PEOPLE BACK OR INDIANS,

INDIANS ARE EVEN CELEBRATING 150YEARS IN SOUTH AFRICA, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

INDIANS RULES SOUTH AFRICA, SOUTH AFRICANS BLACKS CAN NEVER DO ANYTHING TO THEM,, NEVER,

ITS ONLY YOUR OWN BROTHER YOU FIGHTING,

SHAME,

Paying taxes does not give you all the rights in a country . It does give you certain privileges,
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by jot01(m): 8:02pm On Jul 19, 2010
Hey Broh,
I never said it gives one all the right in a Country, I wouldn't have said that.

But have you ever think of Hurting Ghanaians in Nigeria.

Ghanaians are so much In Nigerian and some of dem are very good friends while in High school and University,

We dont even remember there is anyone from Ghana as long as we all Blacks,

I really don't know why South Africans are like this

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by RSA(m): 11:20am On Jul 20, 2010
I think that there is a lot of ignorance on this issue here,You guys are not asking the right questions,maybe you don't really care about finding the main cause to this problems.What if I tell you that the political situation in Zimbabwe is the direct cause.Do you think that there is a developing country that can absorb 7 million people in their country and economy without problems?

We don't have refugee camps in South Africa, people who come from Zimbabwe go straight into the society after crossing the border.The goverment also have no extra plans for this people,it leave them to fend for themself,there fore competing with the poorest for essential services and unskilled jobs.

I personaly I hate it when people make this look like black South Africans generaly hate other blacks from the continent,it is a social problem that need intervention from the international communitiy,UN should be sorting this mess up.And South African goverment should tighten its border and make it difficult for anyone who is not bringing investment or skills that are in shortage in the country to enter the Republic.It is a fact that South Africa is the most succesfull and well runned country in Africa,education,healthcare,houses are free for poor people,including non South Africans.And this is why poor people want to chase 'foreigners' from their communities.

UN,AU and who ever want xenophobic attack to stop must first deal with Mugabe and his goverment.Sort out Zimbabwe and we won't have this problems again.
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by jot01(m): 11:34am On Jul 20, 2010
RSA:

I think that there is a lot of ignorance on this issue here,You guys are not asking the right questions,maybe you don't really care about finding the main cause to this problems.What if I tell you that the political situation in Zimbabwe is the direct cause.Do you think that there is a developing country that can absorb 7 million people in their country and economy without problems?

We don't have refugee camps in South Africa, people who come from Zimbabwe go straight into the society after crossing the border.The goverment also have no extra plans for this people,it leave them to fend for themself,there fore competing with the poorest for essential services and unskilled jobs.

I personaly I hate it when people make this look like black South Africans generaly hate other blacks from the continent,it is a social problem that need intervention from the international communitiy,UN should be sorting this mess up.And South African goverment should tighten its border and make it difficult for anyone who is not bringing investment or skills that are in shortage in the country to enter the Republic.It is a fact that South Africa is the most succesfull and well runned country in Africa,education,healthcare,houses are free for poor people,including non South Africans.And this is why poor people want to chase 'foreigners' from their communities.

UN,AU and who ever want xenophobic attack to stop must first deal with Mugabe and his goverment.Sort out Zimbabwe and we won't have this problems again.

I really Agree with you,

Thank you so much, i have been expecting people like this to talk about the issue on ground and now we can understand but there is always a solution,
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by Angelheart: 12:14pm On Jul 20, 2010
RSA:

I personaly I hate it when people make this look like black South Africans generaly hate other blacks from the continent,it is a social problem that need intervention from the international communitiy,UN should be sorting this mess up.And South African goverment should tighten its border and make it difficult for anyone who is not bringing investment or skills that are in shortage in the country to enter the Republic.It is a fact that South Africa is the most successful and well runned country in Africa,education,healthcare,houses are free for poor people,including non South Africans.And this is why poor people want to chase 'foreigners' from their communities.

You are right RSA. Most of these BARBARIC acts happen in the slums because that is where poverty lives and sleeps. 50% of South African live below the poverty line. The latest figures for unemployment show that it stands at around 30%! The population living below the poverty line is 50%. The poorest 10% of the population makes do with only 1.4% of national income, while the top 10% consumes 44.7%. Yes, many of those who have fallen victim to this BARBARISM are Zimbabweans crossing into the country due to desperation. On top of that, we have Congolese, Somalis and more from other African countries. On top of all this overloading, South Africa has its own social problems. A huge number of the population does not have access to adequate housing. In Johannesburg ALONE, there are about 200-300 thousands shacks. HIV which has seriously affected a huge section of the population, mainly the poorest layers. And crime has become widespread. In all this, this, he poor became frustrated and are STILL frustrated!!They cannot see who is to blame for the situation that has emerged since apertheid came to an 'end'. The people struggled to put an end to apartheid, hoping this would bring real improvements to their living conditions. Instead what they have seen is a small minority layer of the black population climbing up the social ladder, being absorbed into capitalist society, while the overwhelming majority are left at the bottom, struggling to survive in terrible conditions.

South Africa must have seen this coming really. THABO MBEKI must have envisaged trouble while it was till far away. I still give him the biggest BLAME!

PS: Please note that I specifically used the term BARBARIC because, mutilating and killing foreigners to ward off one's frustrations is BARBARIC, UNACCEPTABLE and VERY wrong. It dont matter how we look at it, it will continue to give us a bad name.
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by jot01(m): 1:27pm On Jul 20, 2010
Nice Contributions there,

Cheers
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by MyJoe: 5:53pm On Jul 21, 2010
RSA:

We don't have refugee camps in South Africa, people who come from Zimbabwe go straight into  the society after crossing the border.The goverment also have no extra plans for this people,it leave them to fend for themself,there fore competing with the poorest for essential services and unskilled jobs.

Right. But it may not end with Zim. This problem predates the Zimbabwe problem. It just got worse since Zimbabwe. It's quite a complex mix.
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by jot01(m): 6:27pm On Jul 21, 2010
God help Africa,
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by precap2(m): 1:55pm On Jul 26, 2010
Africa is not different from any part of the world, the only problem is we have too much poverty, but the overall problem of xenophobia informed by taking jobs away from the locals is everywhere. UK citizens don't want to see other Europeans coming in to take their jobs, especially those Danish and Romanian migrants. Do you think Americans are happy with those hideous Mexicans? It's just everywhere.

Holla!
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by morpheus24: 4:41pm On Jul 26, 2010
precap2:

Africa is not different from any part of the world, the only problem is we have too much poverty, but the overall problem of xenophobia informed by taking jobs away from the locals is everywhere. UK citizens don't want to see other Europeans coming in to take their jobs, especially those Danish and Romanian migrants. Do you think Americans are happy with those hideous Mexicans? It's just everywhere.

Holla!

I bet the mexicans think we are as hideous as you describe them huh?
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by precap2(m): 11:47am On Jul 27, 2010
morpheus24:

I bet the mexicans think we are as hideous as you describe them huh?

You're right bro grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by Mpele(m): 7:47am On Jul 29, 2010
Xenophobia is mainly in poor areas of SA. Some of us went to school wth lot of Africans and we never had a problem with them.
This is clearly a legacy of Apartheid, it has done a lot of psychological damage, most blacks never knew that other places existed. They don't really see other blacks as people, especially if you are darker.
It is up to government to teach Black South Africans, that they're the same as their African brothers, they're not better than them.
I've also realised that Zulu's and Xhosas are the most xenophobic.
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by precap2(m): 8:18am On Jul 29, 2010
Mpele:

Xenophobia is mainly in poor areas of SA. Some of us went to school wth lot of Africans and we never had a problem with them.
[b]This is clearly a legacy of Apartheid, it has done a lot of psychological damage, most blacks never knew that other places existed. [/b]They don't really see other blacks as people, especially if you are darker.
It is up to government to teach Black South Africans, that they're the same as their African brothers, they're not better than them.

Very painful. Are there things that the SA government, which is in the hands of black people now, are doing to solve the problem?

Holla!
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by thando(f): 10:44am On Jul 29, 2010
bu!!$hit, . . . .south africans dont think they betta than other africans, the problem is much deeper RSA has already stated the main problem
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by jot01(m): 12:08pm On Jul 29, 2010
@ Thando,
I can see you from KZN, am here in Durban, Lets Hook Up.
What do you think?

Holla me,
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by RSA(m): 1:13pm On Jul 29, 2010
^^Wrong section bro! grin this is foreign affairs section,I am sure that there is a dating section somewhere here on nairaland grin

thando:

bu!!$hit, . . . .south africans dont think they betta than other africans, the problem is much deeper RSA has already stated the main problem

I guess people don't really want to hear the truth,conversation that is based on truth does not last long.
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by morpheus24: 1:37pm On Jul 29, 2010
Mpele:

This is clearly a legacy of Apartheid, it has done a lot of psychological damage, most blacks never knew that other places existed. They don't really see other blacks as people, especially if you are darker.

And for once Mpele makes some sense.

That "Jabulani" ball must have hit you on the head again and shook some nerve cells, cause I can't believe you actuallly analyzed a subject matter,
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by precap2(m): 2:48pm On Jul 29, 2010
morpheus24:

And for once Mpele makes some sense.

That "Jabulani" ball must have hit you on the head again and shook some nerve cells, cause I can't believe you actuallly analyzed a subject matter,

I think your time is up. Neo is waiting!

Holla!
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by morpheus24: 3:34pm On Jul 29, 2010
precap2:

I think your time is up. Neo is waiting!

Holla!

Holla back

slowpoke
Re: Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion by Nobody: 12:00am On Apr 17, 2015
For me, we should have seen this coming a long time back but for the corrupt, inept and direction less prism through which the handlers of our foreign policy saw their brief. We failed to seize the golden moment for Nigeria when Nelson Mandela came into his own! Our management of the end of the apartheid years lacked creativity and proactivity so much so Nelson Mandela shut down and went to his grave appallingly disappointed at what Nigeria had become! I commend his utterances about Nigeria to my readers. All things being equal, Nigeria should have been his second home thus affording him and our leaders an opportunity to weld the two countries together for all time as partners and not bitter competitors we have now become culminating in this so called xenophobia.

My views on this issue may not be celebrated but it does indicate the rot goes deeper! For example, how many know that Thabo Mbeki should be able to find his way around Ojuelegba in Lagos unassisted and better than many Nigerians? Truth is, he and several other South Africans who later came into leadership positions in their country lived in Nigeria educated and fed on our bill because the apartheid regime longed to have them for breakfast!

When payback time came for Nigeria at the end of apartheid and commencement of black majority rule in South Africa and Thabo became President we did not leverage at all to have favours done them reciprocated. Instead our knees went weak and buckled at the altar of greed, corruption, avarice and unpatriotic zeal with our leaders cutting private deals with priviledged South Africans to compromise our wellbeing. The South Africans have so far played along as it suits them fine! What with mtn, shoprite, dstv et al reaping our large market to sustain their own economy.

The result was a large exodus of about 800,000 Nigerians to South Africa in search of a better life not in sight in Nigeria. The exodus has till date been largely unplanned, uncoordinated and without well articulated goals to further our homeland interests. Informed South Africans know all these and more - it therefore cuts no ice with them when we scream xenophobia and ingratitude in the face of current unsavoury happenings under review. We need to look inward instead!

(1) (Reply)

Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run / Ardern Announces Resignation: I Don't Have Enough To Do Justice To The Job / Maersk Suspends All Container Shipping To Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.