Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family (989 Views)

BREAKING: Abductors Kill Nigerian Army colonel / Amaechi’s Brother Hospitalised After Machete Attack By Thugs / Michael Adeboloja 'Mujahid' - One Of Woolwich Attackers Is A British-Nigerian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by jerseyguy(m): 6:53pm On Jul 17, 2010
Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family
By REUTERS
Published: July 17, 2010
SEND TO PHONE
PRINT

Filed at 12:57 p.m. ET

JOS, Nigeria (Reuters) - Raiders armed with machetes killed the family of a Nigerian Christian priest and set fire to his church in central Plateau state Saturday, close to where hundreds have died in religious violence this year.

Residents said unknown assailants attacked the family of Rev. Nuhu Dawat in the early hours in the farming village of Mazah, around 12 km (7 miles) from the state capital of Jos, killing his wife, two children and grandson.

Dawat himself ran and hid when the attack occurred and was the sole survivor in his household. "I leave everything to God to judge," a sobbing Dawat told Reuters.

At least four other people were also killed in the attack, a military spokesman said. A Reuters witness said many of the bodies were slashed with what appeared to be machete blows and one was burned beyond recognition.

Military and police patrols have brought the situation under control and the violence has not spread to other villages, said Plateau State Police Commissioner Gregory Anyating.

"We are trying to find out the root causes of the violence," Anyating said. "We have not re-imposed the curfew."

Plateau state government lifted a night-time curfew for Jos and surrounding villages in May. It had first been imposed in November 2008 during post-election violence in Jos but was extended in January following clashes between Christian and Muslim gangs.

The federal authorities deployed troops to Jos after hundreds of people died in January but the military presence and curfew were not enough to prevent further outbreaks of violence in March and April, in which hundreds more people died.

Over the past decade, thousands of people have died in religious and ethnic violence in the "Middle Belt" of central Nigeria, where the Muslim north meets the predominantly Christian south.

The tension is rooted in decades of resentment between indigenous groups, mostly Christian or animist, who are vying for control of fertile farmlands and for economic and political power with migrants and settlers from the north.

President Goodluck Jonathan has said ensuring peace and stability is a priority.

But analysts fear local political rivals may seek to exploit the divisions in Plateau state in the run-up to nationwide elections due by next April.

(Writing by Randy Fabi; editing by David Stamp)

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/07/17/world/international-us-nigeria-clashes.html?_r=1&hp
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by EzeUche(m): 6:57pm On Jul 17, 2010
This is blasphemous! You do not attack a religious man's family!

I am appalled! angry
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jul 17, 2010
EzeUche:

This is blasphemous! You do not attack a religious man's family!

I am appalled! angry

Why don't you go and rot in hell. This is the end result of the type of hate you propagate on this website everyday!
Bloody hypocrite.
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by EzeUche(m): 7:05pm On Jul 17, 2010
Aigbofa:

Why don't you go and rot in hell. This is the end result of the type of hate you propagate on this website everyday!
Bloody hypocrite.

I'll me you there you Yoruba b-astard. I am only on the defensive, since you Yorubas went on the offensive yesterday. Now do not respond to me with your dirty stinking self.
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 17, 2010
EzeUche:

I'll me you there you Yoruba b-astard. I am only on the defensive, since you Yorubas went on the offensive yesterday. Now do not respond to me with your dirty stinking self.

I know ibos are stupi.d, but at least, I thought their little brains should be able to make the connection between a cause and effect.
Look at the slowpoke coming here and sounding appalled. Who are you trying to fool. Stupi.d rainforest marmoset.
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by AloyEmeka8: 7:14pm On Jul 17, 2010
[size=14pt]

8 die as Muslims strike Christian village in Nigeria
[/size]
(AFP) – 1 hour ago

JOS, Nigeria — Muslims attacked a Christian village in central Nigeria on Saturday, killing eight and burning seven houses as well as a church in a fresh outbreak of religious violence, an army spokesman said.

"It's true eight people were killed," Lieutenant Colonel Kingsley Umoh said.

An AFP correspondent saw the bodies, as well as the burnt houses and church in Mazzah village, near the city of Jos, where religious clashes have occurred a number of times in recent months.

Copyright © 2010 AFP. All rights reserved.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/newsflash/breaking-news-jos-burns-again.html

[img]http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/media/ALeqM5g8_CS_glbVZoo_jldRqZ2plF2jPA?size=l[/img]
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by Cohomology: 7:15pm On Jul 17, 2010
Aigbofa:

I know ibos are stupi.d, but at least, I thought their little brains should be able to make the connection between a cause and effect.
Look at the slowpoke coming here and sounding appalled. Who are you trying to fool. Stupi.d rainforest marmoset.

It is you Yoruba stinking arsewipes that are stu.pid, bloody fuktardos!
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 17, 2010
Cohomology:

It is you Yoruba stinking arsewipes that are stu.pid, bloody fuktardos!

I pray genetic engineering might help you people in future.  If not, we might just as well turn your rainforest abode into a game reserve. It appears you are all bent on self destruction.
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by AloyEmeka8: 7:27pm On Jul 17, 2010
A village is being massacred in the North and these asswipes are here fighting as tribal combatants. If you relly want war, step off your keyboard and start something physical. Let us respect these families who lost dear ones today abeg.
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 17, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

A village is being massacred in the North and these asswipes are here fighting as tribal combatants. If you relly want war, step off your keyboard and start something physical. Let us respect these families who lost dear ones today abeg.

I'm not surprised you cannot see the connection between the type  of hatred being spewed daily on this website by ibos and the type of carnage going on in the north.

Why are you all feigning outrage!! Talk of hypocrisy.
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by AloyEmeka8: 7:47pm On Jul 17, 2010
Aigbofa:

I'm not surprised you cannot see the connection between the type  of hatred being spewed daily on this website by ibos and the type of carnage going on in the north.

Apparently, Yorubas are innocent. I am also surprised that you did not notice that Yorubas usually start the fire first and when igbos shoot back, they duck and start complaining. If you want proof, visit most threads and check who throws the first stone in most cases. To further clarify this: Only Mrfire/mekusshit/akinEgba and Ezeuche are the 2 active Igbo tribalists here but Yorubas are : tpia, Akingbemaru/Aigbofa, Sefago, Sjeezy, bk/bunkum born-in-1997 and one other gay like that.

Becomerich is not a tribalist and is not interested in insulting anyone. He is just a conscientious dissident and as such is not one of the bitter Yorubas here.

On the outside, check ethnic carnages and tell me how many times you've heard that igbos waylaid other tribes and massacred them. Take out your tribal lens, cool down your temper and tell the truth and shame the devil. It is necessary for the improvement of your soul.
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by koruji(m): 7:50pm On Jul 17, 2010
Aigbofa:

@Aigbofa
Remember the saying: "It is had to tell between a madman and the sane man that argues with him". Along those lines, if you must respond to people who promote tribal hate on this forum don't do it in kind i.e. don't start abusing Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa or any other people as a group.

The appropriate thing to do is to "attack" the individual with as much severity as you care, but leave out their ethnic group out of it - these imbeciles speak for no one, but themselves. Otherwise you will be rolling in the gutter with them in no time!
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 17, 2010
koruji:

@Aigbofa
Remember the saying: "It is had to tell between a madman and the sane man that argues with him". Along those lines, if you must respond to people who promote tribal hate on this forum don't do it in kind i.e. don't start abusing Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa or any other people as a group.

The appropriate thing to do is to "attack" the individual with as much severity as you care, but leave out their ethnic group out of it - these imbeciles speak for no one, but themselves. Otherwise you will be rolling in the gutter with them in no time!

Thanks for the advice. I just don't think these ibo irredentists should be given a free reign, lest they start to believe their own lies.
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by One11: 8:06pm On Jul 17, 2010
Hey Igbos, do this Ignore the ignorant Yorubas like Aigbofa and Bk/babe( My B.itch), Starting now DON'T REPLY TO ANY OF THEIR POST.
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by onyengbu1(m): 8:17pm On Jul 17, 2010
Aigbofa:

Imagine that!

Your foot soldiers here on NL are now innocent.

Counter Hypocrisy I must say.
Re: Machete Attackers Kill Nigerian Priest's Family by One11: 8:23pm On Jul 17, 2010
^^^Hey Igbos, do this Ignore the ignorant Yorubas like Aigbofa and Bk/babe( My B.itch), Starting now[b] DON'T REPLY TO ANY OF THEIR POST.[/b]

(1) (Reply)

Olukayode Adeniyi, Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo / President Goodluck Jonathan Declares *live Video* / Nigerians Plead For Ibori's Release

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.