Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,857 members, 7,802,748 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:39 PM

Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe (1489 Views)

BVN Exposes Gargantuan Corruption By Politicians; Billions Abandoned In Banks / Russia Can Destroy Us – Top U.S. Army General / T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by AloyEmeka8: 6:16pm On Jul 18, 2010
[size=14pt]A Man of the People[/size]
by Jerry GuoJuly 05, 2010

Although best known for his 1958 masterpiece, Things Fall Apart, about a simple yam farmer in tribal Nigeria, novelist Chinua Achebe is still writing about Africa a full half century later. The 79-year-old author and social critic spoke with NEWSWEEK’s Jerry Guo about recent developments in his home country and politics on the continent.

Achebe

Excerpts:

Why do you think Nigeria has such a bad reputation?
It’s possible to go to Nigeria and feel that the people are very dynamic and hardworking and want to do well. Yet you could [also] have an impression that this is a very corrupt country. Nigerians had very serious problems in their history since the times of the colonial masters. Now Nigeria is trying to become a modern state on one hand; on the other, it’s still a very corrupt and violent country.

So how did notoriously corrupt African states like Nigeria become that way while others such as Botswana and Ghana went down a different path?
Nigeria is very wealthy because of the amount of oil. This richness becomes a drag if there is no order and no honesty. I write about Nigeria, yet I cannot understand why we refuse to grow up. It’s a mystery to Nigerians and a mystery to me. Come to any election in Nigeria and it’s full of bad news. Nigerians know what they want. So why don’t you get your house in order, I ask?

In your political commentary, you talk about the importance of personalities in african politics. is this a sustainable way of governance?
I don’t think so. You need to have leaders who feel the need or are compelled by their people to be good and reliable. The failure of leadership is the explanation in my famous piece, if I may so say, “The Trouble With Nigeria.” This is the failure of Nigerian leaders, not their followers.

You don’t place any blame on the enabling conditions from which these kleptocrats emerge?
We do have the need for followers to put pressure on their leaders, but the problem is that their leaders are corrupt. When you talk about the few African countries where things are working, you will find generally the quality of leadership is better than in other countries. We need to hand power over to those people who have special training through good education or people who have some qualities that can pull together the resources of a nation. Of course, the colonial system prejudiced our development, but we have also now had enough time and opportunity to straighten it out. But we haven’t done that.

You’ve said president Jonathan Goodluck wasn’t bringing in the good luck. So what was your reaction to the news of the death of president Umaru Yar’Adua?
I wouldn’t pursue that line. It’s not a question of changing my mind, but that we must give [Goodluck] the opportunity to show his leadership. We must not assume anything at this stage, because as acting president, he did not have this position before.

There’s been an uptick in ethnic violence between the Christians and Muslims in nigeria. are you afraid of radical islam taking root there and spreading?

That’s a very serious problem. A politician will use whatever is handy, and the things that are handy are ethnicity and religion. It’s very worrying and it could damage the nation permanently. I think it’s a sign of a lack of development.

Speaking of development, do you think there’s still a role, if any, for the west in all of this?

I don’t think the West must themselves decide whether they should have a role. If they do feel like helping, that’s fine. But it should be something that we do freely, as members of the human race. Don’t misunderstand me, there is still room for the West in Africa, but I’m very anxious not to give the impression that we’re waiting for someone to come develop the African continent.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/05/a-man-of-the-people.print.html

1 Like

Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by AloyEmeka8: 7:43pm On Jul 18, 2010
He is right on the money as usual.
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by ElRazur: 7:46pm On Jul 18, 2010
Religion and Politics are one of the greatest threats to mankind. I am of the opinion that the world will be a better place by far, without religion.
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by blacksta(m): 7:55pm On Jul 18, 2010
Crooked Politicians only have one shared ideology " Looting" and it works best for all -
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by xxGARETHxx(m): 8:02pm On Jul 18, 2010
Every body uses religion as a catalyst to enhance what ever they are doing. . .such as politics (elections), war (Crusades), and even violence (example al Qaeda). . .Religion is kind of a joke now adays. . .every one uses it how they like.
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by ElRazur: 8:08pm On Jul 18, 2010
xxGARETHxx:

Every body uses religion as a catalyst to enhance what ever they are doing. . .such as politics (elections), war (Crusades), and even violence (example al Qaeda). . .Religion is kind of a joke now adays. . .every one uses it how they like.

Islam is a true religion, you plonker! grin Allahuakbar.
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by Dede1(m): 2:17am On Jul 19, 2010
Nigeria’s problem is rooted in tribalism, religion and colonialism. Colonial masters aided in creating an entity called Nigeria which should not have been configured as it is today. Colonial masters also created a system where tribalism and religion were used freely to engender nepotism, sectionalism and brazen corruption. 

The need to stamp out nepotism, religious bias, corruption in high places and sectionalism led to the January 15, 1966 coup that gave rise to July 29, 1966 countercoup which resulted into a civil war. The civil war had robbed Nigeria its innocence and created everlasting enmity among neighbors.     

The only solution to Nigeria’s issues is disintegration of the colonial cesspit. Nigerians can dance around all they want the truth remains so-called “One-Nigeria” slogan is the biggest fraud ever.
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by ChinenyeN(m): 6:42am On Jul 19, 2010
I'm not sure I entirely agree with Achebe on this one. Well, I do, regarding tribal affiliation (seeing as to how tribalism is deeply rooted in Nigerian politics), but I'm not too sure about religion though. . .
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by Cohomology: 7:58am On Jul 19, 2010
Dede1:

Nigeria’s problem is rooted in tribalism, religion and colonialism. Colonial masters aided in creating an entity called Nigeria which should not have been configured as it is today. Colonial masters also created a system where tribalism and religion were used freely to engender nepotism, sectionalism and brazen corruption. 

The need to stamp out nepotism, religious bias, corruption in high places and sectionalism led to the January 15, 1966 coup that gave rise to July 29, 1966 countercoup which resulted into a civil war. The civil war had robbed Nigeria its innocence and created everlasting enmity among neighbors.     

The only solution to Nigeria’s issues is disintegration of the colonial cesspit. Nigerians can dance around all they want the truth remains so-called “One-Nigeria” slogan is the biggest fraud ever.

Well said.
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by AloyEmeka8: 11:13am On Jul 19, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I'm not sure I entirely agree with Achebe on this one. Well, I do, regarding tribal affiliation (seeing as to how tribalism is deeply rooted in Nigerian politics), but I'm not too sure about religion though. . .

Religion is even a stronger political tool in Nigeria than ethnicity.
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by ProAnti: 11:19am On Jul 19, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

Religion is even a stronger political tool in Nigeria than ethnicity.

When the political contest is between members of same religion but of different ethnic stock, ethnicity becomes the tool, otherwise, Religion is the strongest especially on the National level.
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by ChinenyeN(m): 12:50pm On Jul 19, 2010
Oh. I would've never guessed, because tribalism just seems much more pervasive in my understanding.
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by EzeUche(m): 1:11pm On Jul 19, 2010
I just love this man!

This wise philosopher king. People like him should be our leaders and given praise, not these thieving politicians who only know how to loot.

Great Chinua Achebe, lead your people to the promise land! cheesy
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by sjeezy8: 4:27pm On Jul 19, 2010
dont know what the big deal is I think Everyone has said the same thing from whites to blacks, from rich to poor.
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by bkbabe90(m): 4:36pm On Jul 19, 2010
sjeezy8:

dont know what the big deal is I think Everyone has said the same thing from whites to blacks, from rich to poor.

Lol. True! But it sounds different coming from the mouth of an intellectual than from, say, Eziachi or MENTALGONG*, dont u think?

P.s: Eziachi and MENTALgong woulda blamed the Yorubas!lol
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jul 19, 2010
bk/babe90:

Lol. True! But it sounds different coming from the mouth of an intellectual than from, say, Eziachi or MENTALGONG*, dont u think?

P.s: Eziachi and MENTALgong woulda blamed the Yorubas!lol
ROTFLMAO. . . .i will soon send those biafra chickens after you.bad pikin
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by bkbabe90(m): 4:52pm On Jul 19, 2010
Lol
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by EzeUche(m): 6:02pm On Jul 19, 2010
Yoruba buffoons, stop derailing this thread and give praise to greatness in the form of Chinua Achebe. A true Nigerian an Igbo man!
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 19, 2010
Hahahahahaha Chinua Achebe quit repeating your self. These fools won't listen. Many didn't even read one of the best books ever written by man author of which happens to be Nigerian. They won't listen. They don't want a revolution, they want an honest politician. As if being honest and being a politician are not contradicting enough. They want a peaceful war monger
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by ikeyman00(m): 8:57pm On Jul 19, 2010
This richness becomes a drag if there is no order and no honesty. I write about Nigeria, yet I cannot understand why we refuse to grow up. It’s a mystery to Nigerians and a mystery to me.

so if koran;bible is what it is; then i think ikeyman is in the position to say most of our crook politicians are heading to hell fire

ibb;obj etc

are these people human beings for heaven sake

are they human beings or bleaching apes

old men paradng themselves like we dnt know they are bleached monkeys
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by Kobojunkie: 9:28pm On Jul 19, 2010
So let me see if I have this right. The man tells us that Religion and Tribe are tools our politicians use to destroy/play and control us, and many agree. However we are still here advocating for more divide along religious/tribal lines? Talk about having not just a few screws loose! ROFLMAO!!
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by ikeyman00(m): 9:45pm On Jul 19, 2010
^^^^^^^

let me put this straight to u MIZZZJUDGE

u are the most dubious character i ever come across in nl since i came up

u never make a thread cuz u got no clue on what to talk about

u are so conspicuous and abrogating on any issues in regard with the igbos

u always look for lines in which to inflict criticism on  issues being discussed

most of all u barely make sense as for no wonder u indulge in ROFLMAO;

U are a man and u know it; u ain't female so a question of confused genda??

therefore i think I'm in the position to liken u to becomerich
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by mazaje(m): 9:46pm On Jul 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

So let me see if I have this right. The man tells us that Religion and Tribe are tools our politicians use to destroy/play and control us, and many agree. However we are still here advocating for more divide along religious/tribal lines? Talk about having not just a few screws loose! ROFLMAO!!

Very well said.  .  . . . .The fact that the irony escapes most of the posters advocating for the division of Nigeria according to ethnic and religious lines is something that I can not really understand. . . . . . .
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 19, 2010
ikeyman00:

^^^^^^^

let me put this straight to u MIZZZJUDGE

u are the most dubious character i ever come across in nl since i came up

u never make a thread cuz u got no clue on what to talk about

u are so conspicuous and abrogating on any issues in regard with the igbos

u always look for lines in which to inflict criticism on issues being discussed

most of all u barely make sense as for no wonder u indulge in ROFLMAO;

U are a man and u know it; u ain't female so a question of confused agenda??

therefore i think I'm in the position to liken u to becomerich
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Who stole your feeding bottle?
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by formunt(m): 10:04pm On Jul 19, 2010
Most developed countries has no respect for religions or ethnicity but morality and development. China has no religion tolarance; pastors , alhajis and buda people are not given any chances to display puplicly hence the country is booming.
No wonder nigeria and those similar countries  lag behind in developments.
Achebe was right in all sentences
Some people are simply deaf and would simply not going to make a change.
The irony is that every soul in NIGERIA would benefits positively if nigeria split .
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by bkbabe97: 12:21am On Jul 20, 2010
ikeyman00:

^^^^^^^

U are a man and u know it; u ain't female so a question of confused agenda??

U meant to say CONFUSED GENDER instead of CONFUSED AGENDA, right? lol
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by ikeyman00(m): 12:28am On Jul 20, 2010
^^^^k thanks stlill wink
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by Nobody: 12:59am On Jul 20, 2010
Re: Religion And Tribe Are Tools Used By Politicians To Destroy Us-achebe by Nobody: 1:01am On Jul 20, 2010
, on Achebe.
honest, introspective, deep, original, selfless, exemplary

, on topic
only prove that Achebe is right all along

, on reality
we nigeria mass are the real reason the country is where it is, at best we are the tools for destalising the nation.
(jaganja i feel you
9jaganja:

Hahahahahaha Chinua Achebe quit repeating your self. These fools won't listen. Many didn't even read one of the best books ever written by man author of which happens to be Nigerian. They won't listen. They don't want a revolution, they want an honest politician. As if being honest and being a politician are not contradicting enough. They want a peaceful war monger

, on hitler complex
did anybody say "EzeUche"

(1) (Reply)

Sack Fever Grips Inec Staffers ! / South-south To Counter Northern Political Leaders' Move / Why I Will Vote For Buhari - Lamido Sanusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.